Rent Help Needed

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

Valerie100 wrote: I think this post is a sin. It did take a lot of nerve for that woman to ask for just $1.00 from everyone. I could never laugh at someone else's being in need, though. She must have been so embarrassed, because she never posted again.it was a scam!
Peg

Rent Help Needed

Post by Peg »

She couldn't afford rent but she could afford a computer AND internet? Even if it were true Valerie100, she should have gotten rid of them first instead of begging.
Nomad

Rent Help Needed

Post by Nomad »

anastrophe wrote: we did help her in other ways. we made it clear that this isn't the right place for her to look for free money.

there are 6,471,892,394 people on earth. some people, right this very instant, are being hacked to death in darfur. some people, this very moment, are dying waiting for a kidney transplant. some people, this very moment, are skipping a meal because they're low on money.

while i won't maintain that there are 6,471,892,601 sob stories out there (yes, that's how much the population went up while i was typing), there's probably one billion, at least.

asking for handouts on an online forum is nothing but a scam. sell the computer, and turn off the internet connection - there's a few hundred right there.

heck, i may be doing that myself soon enough. in fact, i posted a "send me money, i need it" ad on an online classified board just last week. but at least i didn't bullshit about it - i made it entertaining, and didn't make up a sob story.

geez, there must be something in the water today. i've posted a half dozen times today, even though i've mostly not been participating much in FG. and at least a half-dozen long-snoozing threads have perked up today, this one being one of them.

maybe our Space Brothers are preparing to formally introduce themselves, and this is the prelude to it!

Hi, Im Nomad. :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
ComfortablyNumb

Rent Help Needed

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Hilarious thread. Thanks guys.

I personally wouldn't make my first post in a Forum a begging one, but hey, it takes all sorts.

I'm a generous person and wouldn't let any of my friends or people I knew suffer if I could help but I thought 'SCAM' when I read the post. It's sad if we're all wrong!

Nomad - Grey or Blue?
Nomad

Rent Help Needed

Post by Nomad »

burnt sienna
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

Rent Help Needed

Post by Peg »

Here we are; it 'tis the season. People will be begging and stealing. Bikes have been stolen from a charity that gives to needy families. What ever happened to WORK. A JOB. 3 jobs if neccessary. No, let's take the easy, lazy way out and beg and steal.:-5
Nomad

Rent Help Needed

Post by Nomad »

Peg wrote: Here we are; it 'tis the season. People will be begging and stealing. Bikes have been stolen from a charity that gives to needy families. What ever happened to WORK. A JOB. 3 jobs if neccessary. No, let's take the easy, lazy way out and beg and steal.:-5

This stuff is in the minority. Theres much much more good in the world than bad. We are winning Peg. :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

funniest Fg thread ever!!:yh_rotfl i swear whenever i need a laugh i read it again! .......er, uh....can anyone send me some money???
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

ArnoldLayne;470826 wrote: I wanna check Carlas butt out :D That donation sure made a big difference to it then. Has she kept it sweet ?uh...that was Peg's butt. you'll have to ask her. it was cracked after all.
guppy

Rent Help Needed

Post by guppy »

lady cop;470823 wrote: funniest Fg thread ever!!:yh_rotfl i swear whenever i need a laugh i read it again! .......er, uh....can anyone send me some money???

I'll send ya a few clams.............:wah:
Peg

Rent Help Needed

Post by Peg »

My butt surgery was very successful. I now have more confidence and a job. Now there's that small matter of needing a hair transplant to replace the few silver hairs that keep popping up. Just imagine the confidence that would give me!
WonderWendy3

Rent Help Needed

Post by WonderWendy3 »

So, we aren't sending money??

Very interesting this thread came up...I was embarrassed to say anything, but I was almost majorally scammed recently!!
Peg

Rent Help Needed

Post by Peg »

Oh most definately we should send money.:sneaky:
WonderWendy3

Rent Help Needed

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Peg;470843 wrote: Oh most definately we should send money.:sneaky:

Now that you have a new butt...sure!!
Sheryl

Rent Help Needed

Post by Sheryl »

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

It still puzzles me that FG posters thought this was a scam in the bulk contact Internet sense, you know. It blatantly wasn't.

It's very unlikely to have been a genuine request for money from someone describing personal circumstances, though it could have been. That's been my view all along.

It's quite certainly not a copy/paste appeal that was put out to lots of places. This post came to this thread and nowhere else on the Internet, before or since. I spent about a year as an Unsolicited Bulk scam-tracker around 2000-2001 and I've a lot of experience of them. This was never anything like one of those. It would still only be the work of a moment for anyone to show otherwise and prove me wrong about that, if I were.

It's most likely, I think, that it was intended as humour. It's quite possible that it was put onto FG by an existing member as a joke.

What concerned me at the time, and still does, is that there's a real possibility that it was a genuine post by a naive woman at her wits' end, in which case the howls of derisive laughter were rather coarse. Some of the comments are frankly revolting, regardless. My time on FG since the thread started has only confirmed in my mind the deep lack of empathy some of the posters involved have developed.

This, like so many other threads, is rooted in distaste. You wanted me to bite the lure, Snooze? OK, I bit it for you. Have fun.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl;470912 wrote: Well, that was predictable.I'd hate to disappoint, after all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Rent Help Needed

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl;470921 wrote: Thank you for your views / comments which have been noted.
That's your version of my 'kay, isn't it? I like mine better - more succinct. :cool:
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

well i rather like it. :)
Accountable

Rent Help Needed

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl;470924 wrote: I can cover all my bases and stick 'kay into my sig line. I like that idea!
Thief!
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

shouldn't that be m'kay?
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl;470933 wrote: I might have to steal that graphic, too. :thinking:feel free, m'kay?
Peg

Rent Help Needed

Post by Peg »

What concerned me at the time, and still does, is that there's a real possibility that it was a genuine post by a naive woman at her wits' end, in which case the howls of derisive laughter were rather coarse.
If she were at her wits' end, why did she still have internet and a computer? As much as I love internet, as much as I use my computer, I'd still have too much pride to ask a bunch of strangers for money and the computer and internet would be gone. We may never know if it were a scam or not, but instincts told me it was and big time.
lady cop

Rent Help Needed

Post by lady cop »

*LC wipes an emotional tear away* ...this was the very first thread spot hijacked. *sob* :-1 ...can anyone sing 'memories'?
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

lady cop;470992 wrote: *LC wipes an emotional tear away* ...this was the very first thread spot hijacked. *sob* :-1 ...can anyone sing 'memories'?Quite where I went off-topic I'm not sure. I thought I'd stayed with the OP throughout. Unlike the butt pics.

I'm sure there must be a thread or two where I've gone off-topic, but I suspect it's far less often than you'd think.

Or - just possibly - you think hijacking differs from going off-topic?

You never addressed the question of those undercover Atlanta police officers in http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showp ... tcount=104 which I'm quite sure you'd agree was directly relevant to the issue of "safety for women". Is that the sort of "hijack" you mean? A word on why it wasn't relevant wouldn't go amiss. Or, better yet, a comment on the event itself (in the original thread, of course) as far as Kathryn Johnston's evident fear is concerned.
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

lady cop wrote: ( from http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=21855, posted pointedly elsewhere a half hour after the above )

how do you feel about ignore feature? i know some people use it and like it. i don't use it, i like to read what everyone says whether i agree or not. certainly i am not forced to reply.Of course you're not forced to reply. Nobody can demand a response when someone prefers to pass on an awkward point. It's rather selective of you when the topic is so very much up your street though, and so relevant to the issue raised, and in your own thread at that.
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

spot;471062 wrote: Of course you're not forced to reply. Nobody can demand a response when someone prefers to pass on an awkward point. It's rather selective of you when the topic is so very much up your street though, and so relevant to the issue raised, and in your own thread at that.

Could this sentence BE any longer?

Wait, coming from you I'm guessing it could.:D

HBIC
YZGI

Rent Help Needed

Post by YZGI »

Okay everyone. I seem to have run out of SPAM. I have no more money for my SPAM. I am not asking for money to buy more SPAM. I simply ask that all members send me one used tin can. If everyone sends me a used tin can I can sell the metal at the tin can buying place then I would have SPAM money. Thank you all in advance, Pm me for mailing details.:cool:
sunny104

Rent Help Needed

Post by sunny104 »

can I have a dollar? :)
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

DesignerGal;471116 wrote: Could this sentence BE any longer?

Wait, coming from you I'm guessing it could.:DOh DG, if you want to point out my unwashed state you should check under your own fingernails first. You want a contest?

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showp ... ostcount=3

We make a huge breakfast, open presents, watch National Treasure and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation then eat again and play with our presents then eat some more, drive around looking at lights, come home and eat pie then got to sleepo.

Spot wordcount: 30, DG wordcount: 41.

The difference is that my sentences, however long, regardless of the depth of sub-clauses or other deviant arts, are invariably well-structured. Laurence Sterne has been my idol since childbirth and nobody took a more roundabout route to the full stop than he did. I bet you could find an example of my breaking a hundred words between full stops in earlier posts if you want to go searching, though I confidently doubt what you find will lack either syntactic elegance or common sense.

That final sentence, in case you wonder, was forty words. You're still ahead by one.
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

spot;471126 wrote: Oh DG, if you want to point out my unwashed state you should check under your own fingernails first. You want a contest?

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showp ... ostcount=3

We make a huge breakfast, open presents, watch National Treasure and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation then eat again and play with our presents then eat some more, drive around looking at lights, come home and eat pie then got to sleepo.

Spot wordcount: 30, DG wordcount: 41.

The difference is that my sentences, however long, regardless of the depth of sub-clauses or other deviant arts, are invariably well-structured. Laurence Sterne has been my idol since childbirth and nobody took a more roundabout route to the full stop than he did. I bet you could find an example of my breaking a hundred words between full stops in earlier posts if you want to go searching, though I confidently doubt what you find will lack either syntactic elegance or common sense.

That final sentence, in case you wonder, was forty words. You're still ahead by one.

Take a chill-pill old man.

HBIC
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

And just, how, do you idolize someone in the first months of life? You cant even figure out what that nasty smelling tar like substance is coming out of your a$$.

HBIC
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

DesignerGal;471223 wrote: And just, how, do you idolize someone in the first months of life? You cant even figure out what that nasty smelling tar like substance is coming out of your a$$.*sigh*... cultural advertence simply fails to penetrate sometimes...Tom Lehrer: For many years now Mr. Danny Kaye, who has been my particular idol since childbirth, has been doing a routine about the great Russian director Stanislavsky ...
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

spot;471275 wrote: *sigh*... cultural advertence simply fails to penetrate sometimes...Tom Lehrer: For many years now, Mr. Danny Kaye, who has been my particular idol since childbirth, has been doing a routine about the great Russian director Stanislavsky ...

*BIGGER sigh*

Im so sorry that the rest of us are so unintelligent compared to you. Let me ask you something, if you didnt posses the software to search thousands upon thousands of web documents, would you still be so superior?

HBIC
Saffron

Rent Help Needed

Post by Saffron »

OMG! I just only read the first page of this thread, and I think it may be the funniest I've read here so far.

PulEEEEZE! :D
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

DesignerGal;471279 wrote: *BIGGER sigh*

Im so sorry that the rest of us are so unintelligent compared to you. Let me ask you something, if you didnt posses the software to search thousands upon thousands of web documents, would you still be so superior?Perhaps if I'd searched for the phrase instead of using it from memory I'd have remembered to put "particular" in as well. I'm not happy at having quoted Tom Lehrer wrongly. The only reason I subsequently searched for it was to place the exact quote into the thread correctly, since you hadn't recognised that it wasn't mine.

I haven't described you anywhere as unintelligent. The only two people on the board I've done that to are Novelty and Shweet, which was more an obvious statement of fact than an opinion on my part. If you feel that way about yourself you could always try reading some books for a few years but these matters are surely in the domain of self-criticism rather than anything external.
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

spot;471311 wrote: Perhaps if I'd searched for the phrase instead of using it from memory I'd have remembered to put "particular" in as well. I'm not happy at having quoted Tom Lehrer wrongly. The only reason I subsequently searched for it was to place the exact quote into the thread correctly, since you hadn't recognised that it wasn't mine.

I haven't described you anywhere as unintelligent. The only two people on the board I've done that to are Novelty and Shweet, which was more an obvious statement of fact than an opinion on my part. If you feel that way about yourself you could always try reading some books for a few years but these matters are surely in the domain of self-criticism rather than anything external.

Thanks for the suggestion, and you might be "spot on" about Novelty. I do actually read. At present, I'm at about a book per week. Huge reader and all.

HBIC
cherandbuster

Rent Help Needed

Post by cherandbuster »

spot;471311 wrote: If you feel that way about yourself you could always try reading some books for a few years

Ouch!
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

spot

Rent Help Needed

Post by spot »

DesignerGal;471315 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, and you might be "spot on" about Novelty. I do actually read. At present, I'm at about a book per week. Huge reader and all.Novels are a perfectly good starting point, I have no problems with that.
DesignerGal

Rent Help Needed

Post by DesignerGal »

spot;471323 wrote: Novels are a perfectly good starting point, I have no problems with that.

I simply stated that I read one book per week. Where did I allude to the fact that they were novels? Or did you assume thats what I read? We all know what happens when you ASSume, don't we?

By the way, did you send this person some money so they could pay their rent?

HBIC

Return to “Mental Health”