The Great Outdoors

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
capt_buzzard

The Great Outdoors

Post by capt_buzzard »

There is increasing evidence to show that getting close to nature can make us feel less stressed and better about ourselves. A new study from the University of Essex UK, shows that 'green' exercise can boost mood, physical fitness and self esteem.

Prof Jules Pretty, who led the research team at the department of biological science, measured the mood and self esteem of 363 people who took part in 10 different 'green' activities such as walking, mountain biking and canal boating.

"We found there was a signifcant improvement in self esteem in nine out of ten case studies. The majority of people also found that after participating in the activity their anxiety levels dropped, they felf less depressed and more upbeat."

Get out into the garden folks
minks

The Great Outdoors

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: There is increasing evidence to show that getting close to nature can make us feel less stressed and better about ourselves. A new study from the University of Essex UK, shows that 'green' exercise can boost mood, physical fitness and self esteem.

Prof Jules Pretty, who led the research team at the department of biological science, measured the mood and self esteem of 363 people who took part in 10 different 'green' activities such as walking, mountain biking and canal boating.

"We found there was a signifcant improvement in self esteem in nine out of ten case studies. The majority of people also found that after participating in the activity their anxiety levels dropped, they felf less depressed and more upbeat."

You betcha, I jump at every chance I get to be outdoors. I live only a few steps away from a lovely provincial park.

Grew up camping, travelling road trips in the wilderness, cycling, hiking fishing etc and still enjoy my outdoor persuits. And look at me now :wah:

Despite my cold heartedness ahahahaha

Ok seriously I can totally see the benifits with being close to nature. It is a great escape for the body and mind.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
koan

The Great Outdoors

Post by koan »

I'm not much into camping...that's a little too close to nature for me, but I love to garden. The first thing most people want to do when they are stressed or angry is go for a walk. Fresh air does wonders for the body, mind and soul.
lady cop

The Great Outdoors

Post by lady cop »

DIVE THE REEF!! all problems tend to remain at the surface when you go down!
gimli3

The Great Outdoors

Post by gimli3 »

capt_buzzard wrote: There is increasing evidence to show that getting close to nature can make us feel less stressed and better about ourselves. A new study from the University of Essex UK, shows that 'green' exercise can boost mood, physical fitness and self esteem.

:)

The old philosophers like Seneca thought that, when you were old and retired, a good occupation is Observing Nature.

Perhaps they were right and this may be a good occupation for everyone, to have healthy spirituality.

OBSERVE NATURE.

chonsigirl

The Great Outdoors

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, a lovely time outside daily is the best thing a person can do. I take a walk every day during my prep period, unless it is raining hard or snowing. I just have to be outside for awhile, and everything always feels so much better afterwards. I am not surprised a study found this to be true!
Bez

The Great Outdoors

Post by Bez »

gimli3 wrote: :)

The old philosophers like Seneca thought that, when you were old and retired, a good occupation is Observing Nature.

Perhaps they were right and this may be a good occupation for everyone, to have healthy spirituality.

OBSERVE NATURE.

I do hope people don't wait for retirement to observe nature....what a waste...I always encourage my children and grandchildren to appreciate nature from an early age.....the 'Great outdoors' is a wonderful place to be.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
SlipStream

The Great Outdoors

Post by SlipStream »

I'd love 2 lay down in our green and plesent land.
The Rob

The Great Outdoors

Post by The Rob »

I commute by bicycle approximately 11 miles total every workday, and I intend to include some longer rides one day on the weekends soon. I can attest to the feeling of well-being upon arriving at work in the morning or home in the evening. Of course, some of that may be attributable to the fact that I accomplished the day's commute without being run down by some cell-phone jabbering idiot in his Hummer.

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”