Reincarnation, Past Lives ETC

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

bigdumbswede wrote: This planet certainly is a good schoolhouse. I had a great friend once who had been a member of the Theosophical Society and had given me several of Blavatsky's original texts. I loved to argue with her in those days, but she changed my life eventually. I still think of her fondly. She was a terrific teacher and a very old soul. Whenever life seemed particularly difficult, she loved to tell me,"Oh, well, the first 10,000 lives are the hardest you know." Or if I expressed a negative thought, she'd tell me, "now now, don't put that out into the atmosphere."

Is it anymore surprising to be born twice than only once? Or three times? Or ten? How can we not notice that everything in this life is recycled? Everywhere there is a cycle of life, death and rebirth.

There have been times when I have traveled and visited a certain region that something in my very being stirred, as if something in the very location said "home" to me as I approached. Certain areas in central Europe give me this sensation.

dwja vu is fairly common with many people, but, as always, science will always look at it as somehting that doesn'r mean anything. the cycle of life and death is, as some think, nothing more than one life lived, then another, then another, ad finitum. perhaps someday it will be acceoted as the norm, and not the exception in western culture as it is accepted in the far east, though without the animalistic overtones.:-4 :-4 :D
Texas Thunder

Post by Texas Thunder »

I think this is the best thing I have ever Read in my Entire life... Rapunzel...I think you should have this published somewhere...It is absolutly astounding...I cried through whole damn thing and it made me look at all the turmoil I am going through with a deeper understanding as to why I am here...

Thank you

Thank you for writing it...It is very touching

Rapunzel wrote: Hi Jenny,

I recently posted this on actionFigureSteph's thread..."Is this blasphemy?"

You may think its nuts but it made sense to me as it helped me see things more clearly. So here it is again:

I don't know if I can help, but I recently came up with a theory which explains things to me, although you may think it's naive or even total crap!

Let me start by telling you that 2005 was absolutely the WORST year of my life!

Firstly, my son broke his leg on the school trampolines. He was 13 and just about to start his teenage 'growth spurt'. The doctor said he has fractured his growth plate and we may find that one leg would grow and one wouldn't! He would then have to have major surgery on his leg, maybe even several ops, to stop the good leg from growing!

Next, my sister told a lie about me 'for fun'. It resulted in my mother calling me a "vindictive bitch" and she hasn't spoken to me since! No-one in my entire family has spoken to me since then either! It's been 11 months now!

Then I was told I had some cancerous cells which would require one treatment to cure. However the treatment didn't catch them all and I had to go back for more. In March, if its still there, I have to have surgery to remove it. After that I found I was diabetic and will need to take medication for the rest of my life. And injections hurt!

Next my daughter fractured her leg in an accident. Although mended, it still aches and she still has the scar. Then some good news, I got pregnant! I have wanted another baby since I miscarried twins 10 years ago. But with such a bad year, I was worried I might lose it....and 4 months later, that sadly happened!

Finally, my favourite aunt died! She was closer to me than my mum and she passed very suddenly. I saw my mum and sister at the funeral. My sis and bil turned their backs to me! And my mother said I was basically a miserable bitch and my bil was going to report me to the police for harassment because I sent my niece a birthday card! Nutter! My son asked why she hadn't called him to ask about his leg, as he had to have several xrays to see if his leg was growing or not. She shrugged and said "I dunno. I couldn't be bothered!" Some grandmother!!

We spent months worrying about my son and whether his leg would grow. Also we had tears from my daughter every night because she was being so badly bullied at school. The school were totally useless and the year head just said "Toughen up!" (She says that to ALL the bullied kids and I now find bullying is rife in the school!) I tried to send her to a different school but that Head said my daughters Head was a friend of hers and she should go back and face up to the bullies! I have finally pulled her out of school and am home-schooling her as she was just so utterly miserable!

Now hubby is off work as he damaged his leg at work. He's due back soon but I don't think he's going to be able to cope.

So it has been a year of worries and upsets. Oh, also I was VERY depressed for the last few months because of losing the baby. And I had no one in my family who even cared enough to talk to me about it.

Sorry, this is a long story!

Anyway, I wondered why we are all here, on this planet? Is it a fluke? We're born, we suffer, we die, generation after generation. Whats the point of our stupid little lives? Then I thought, look at our bodies, they are an amazing miracle. Everything has a purpose. If you get a cold, you breathe through your mouth so you continue to live. If one lung collapses, you still have another. Ditto kidneys. Ditto eyes, hands, arms, etc. Don't know why we don't have 2 hearts though! Lol!

So when you think about it, our bodies are perfect machines and surely something so perfectly designed MUST have a purpose in this life.

So then I thought, okay I have heard that we all have a purpose in this life. What if some people have a really major purpose and some only have a small purpose?

Take for instance, Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Diana did an amazing amount during he Royal life. She touched people, she hugged them. She made us aware of land mines, she showed us that people with Aids can be hugged, she opened our eyes and showed us a loving and caring side of the Royal family who, prior to her arrival, had been a bunch of frigid stiffs! She had a HUGE purpose in life! And Prince Charles married her! That's it! That's his purpose! Just a little thing! But she could never have achieved any of this if she were married to anyone else! So he was in the right position to promote her to her place in the world.

Then I wondered WHY some people have a more important purpose than others?

And WHY some people have so much more ill luck than others?

My son was born with kidney problems and operated on when just 3 days old!

My daughter is a chronic asthmatic who has spent quite a lot of time in hospital and has been on a life support machine, when the doctors told us she probably wouldn't survive! Yet my sister and my best friend both sail gaily through life. Neither of them have had anything bad happen to them, none of their kids have ever been in hospital, everything just seems to fall into their laps! Its frustrating! Not that I want anything bad to happen to them, but I look around and I see so many people around me with so few problems and we seem to have so many things go wrong! That sounds very self-pitying and I don't mean it to. I just wondered WHY?

Then I got to thinking about reincarnation, which I believe in. And I started thinking about the belief that you live several lives on this earth and each life has to be better than the last. When you finally live a perfect life THEN your soul can go to Paradise or the Elysian Fields or wherever you believe your heaven to be.

I also thought that some people say you are an old soul, meaning you have lived on this earth before. Which must mean there are new souls too. And I thought of those maxims people so often say, such as "The good die young" or the funny one about 'Why do the best ones die young when the miserable old bast*rds are here forever?" (I can't remember the exact quote! Sorry!)

So, putting all this together, I thought what if your soul lives a life, just like your human life? But what if your souls life was a thousand years or more, whilst your body's life was perhaps a hundred years?

New souls to this earth will be as babies or children all their lives. Children are loud, brash, argumentative, noisy and many people are like this too. My mother, for instance, argues about everything, has the arrogance to think she is always right when she rarely is and has never truly 'grown up'. Even though she's nearly 70 she has quite a childish and petty attitude. Perhaps such 'new souls', like children, cannot cope with too much hurt and so they lead 'easy' lives without too much pain or aggro. perhaps thats why some people seem to be able to just sail through life.

Then as your soul is reborn into a 2nd or 3rd life, it is a more mature soul. As adults many of us do suffer with pain, either physical or mental or emotional or all three. Maybe those of us who are older souls are given tasks or burdens which can help our souls 'mature'. Through our own pain and suffering we are able to open our hearts to others who hurt and help them in their lives. Maybe people are in our lives for only as long as they need us to help them before they are able to move on. Older souls see through skin colour or religion or other such petty considerations, which hamper the newer souls. Older souls are more giving, kinder, more generous souls. When you meet that rare person who is just SO lovely, SO kind and you think "I wish I were more like them", then surely that person is a much older soul than you. They are more experienced in opening their hearts to the world. They are less likely to reject others for any superficial reason.

Not forgetting that each soul must still fulfill its purpose within each lifetime, in order to grow and continue its spiritual journey.

Then, perhaps after several lifetimes, perhaps even after staying at the same level for a few lifetimes until the lesson which is necessary at that stage of the soul's life is learnt, perhaps then we too become old souls. I thought that at this stage there could be little left to learn. Maybe there is just one small thing we have left to do, or to understand, before we finally achieve our paradise. So perhaps, once all lifes lessone are learnt and our soul is in harmony with the universe, perhaps that is when we pass on to our true Paradise. And I wondered, without causing offense to anyone, whether this is why children die? Children shouldn't be allowed to die. But maybe, using this theory, maybe they have achieved the last little thing they needed to achieve before passing into paradise. They have no need to continue to live on. So while we see the desperate tragedy of a childs death, maybe they see it as the end of the souls journey into spiritual enlightenment.

I think its interesting that many of the people on this site are so similar. we all seem to be older souls who can open our hearts to each other and we attract similar souls to this site. We can still kick butt, proving that our souls still have lessons to learn but we all seem to understand where we're all coming from too.

And it doesn't matter how old you are in this life but how far advanced your soul is in ITS life.

I don't know if you think this is mad or even if you bother to read it because its so long winded! I just know that it explains a lot of things to me.

For instance, why do so many families never get along? Some are kind and understanding family members, some are bolshy gits! Yet perhaps this is older souls teaching younger souls the true meaning of life. Maybe your child is an older soul than you and perhaps you learn understanding or forgiveness from them.

This theory works for me. It explains why my mum is so loud and brash for her age. Perhaps, as a new soul, she is just learning how to deal with the world.

I also think Valerie has a point in her 'talking to angels' theory. I was VERY down before Christmas and I asked for angelic help (after all, who would know?) and I firmly believe, when I was at that lowest point, that I felt angel wings around my shoulders! I could even picture, and perhaps felt, the wing feathers tickling my ankles!

Now you think I'm a total nutcase. Maybe you're right. But I feel much happier since then and haven't felt anywhere near as low since! My theory helped me. Maybe it will help you to understand why we are given suffering at this point to help us grow and to lose the pettiness that we all have as children.

Anyway, I'm off to my nice padded soundproof womb...er...room now!

Nightey night.

Post by charles_r51 »

Texas Thunder wrote: I think this is the best thing I have ever Read in my Entire life... Rapunzel...I think you should have this published somewhere...It is absolutly astounding...I cried through whole damn thing and it made me look at all the turmoil I am going through with a deeper understanding as to why I am here...

Thank you

Thank you for writing it...It is very touching

perhaps this scenario of living lifetime after lifetime is what jesus meant when he said you had to be "born again" and the churches haven't realized it yet? we'll just have to wait and see!:-4 :-4 :D
weber

Post by weber »

I hope you are wrong Charles. I can imagine in my wildest dreams ever having to do another round in this world. Once is enough for me. When this body dies, I hope I get to go to peace for an eternity. Nice little present for toughing this one life out.:guitarist
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: I hope you are wrong Charles. I can imagine in my wildest dreams ever having to do another round in this world. Once is enough for me. When this body dies, I hope I get to go to peace for an eternity. Nice little present for toughing this one life out.:guitarist

if you've ever read anything about edgar cayce, those books edited from his more than 14000 readings, you'll know i'm not wrong. sorry, but don't worry, you won't remeber anything anyway. it'll be just like starting all over again!:D :-4 :-4
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51 wrote: if you've ever read anything about edgar cayce, those books edited from his more than 14000 readings, you'll know i'm not wrong. sorry, but don't worry, you won't remeber anything anyway. it'll be just like starting all over again!:D :-4

Silly boy:-5 Doncha know that just because you believe something, that doesn't make it so. Just means that's what you believe. Only God knows. All we can do is best guess. So that's your best guess, not the rest of the world's. Face it young fella, you is just like the rest of us, doing your best, standing, falling, succeeding, failing, Yup you are just like people and you don't know any more than other people. You make it sound good though.;)

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: Silly boy:-5 Doncha know that just because you believe something, that doesn't make it so. Just means that's what you believe. Only God knows. All we can do is best guess. So that's your best guess, not the rest of the world's. Face it young fella, you is just like the rest of us, doing your best, standing, falling, succeeding, failing, Yup you are just like people and you don't know any more than other people. You make it sound good though.;)

but it is, it is!!! just think, if you blow it this time , you get to try again, (and again, and again, etc.) until you get it right. nite , nite, gotta get my beauty sleep.:D :-4
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51 wrote: but it is, it is!!! just think, if you blow it this time , you get to try again, (and again, and again, etc.) until you get it right. nite , nite, gotta get my beauty sleep.:D :-4

You really need to give it a rest. How can we blow it when Christ died for our sins so we might have eternal life. But then you may not believe in Christ but that doesn't make you right, just what you bellieve. I have no intention of blowing it the first time, I'm doing it right. However I don't expect you to believe what I say. And there ain't nothing you are going to say to make me believe I am wrong. I'm not telling you what to believe and I expect you to give me the same courtesy.

rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Well, the original church believed and preached reincarnation until 324 AD when Constantine decided to abolish that thought. So as far as I'm concerned, just because the church has now decided to sing a different tune, the Jesus I studied was referring to reincarnation when he talked of "ever lasting life."
weber

Post by weber »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Well, the original church believed and preached reincarnation until 324 AD when Constantine decided to abolish that thought. So as far as I'm concerned, just because the church has now decided to sing a different tune, the Jesus I studied was referring to reincarnation when he talked of "ever lasting life."

I didn't mean to make Charles go away. If anything, perhaps I was challenging him to take it a step further than just "I know this is the way it is". To you I can only say that there are many, many things that were done and believed almost 2,000 years ago that are not done and believed now in this age where we have knowledge that we have never had before. We don't sacrifice burn't offerings anymore and the like. And everlasting life to me means everlasting life with God. To you it obviously means everlasting life here on earth. I have no problem with if you want everlasting life here on earth. I have no idea why you have a problem with my choice of everlasting life with God. He does give us choices.

rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I wasn't responding to your post when I posted about reincarnation, Jesus and Constantine - I just wanted to post it because it is a historical fact and I wanted to share it with people who may or may not know it. As far as what I believe, please don't read a few of my words and then assume to know what I think or believe because you won't even come close ;)

I'm very aware what has happened in our history. More aware than I would like to be at times.

Anyone can believe what they want. Just because someone shares an opinion or a few facts doesn't mean they are saying their way is the right and ONLY way. They might just be sharing what they think.

Just as you say "I'm doing it right" - that is subjective don't you think? Wouldn't you agree that only God can determine if your doing something wrong or right? I do what I believe is best for me and my sanity, I can only hope that my choices are the right choices because they certainly feel right for me at this point in my life.

I have no problem with if you want

everlasting life here on earth. I have no idea why you have a problem with my choice of everlasting life with God. He does give us choices.

I really don't get your point here. Your reading much to much into the few words I posted. I have no problem with your beliefs :wah: - where do you see me having a problem with your beliefs?

As far as I'm concerned - any religious or non-religious belief regarding the afterlife or lack there of is personal and all are valid. No one has ever died, been buried and then returned later to tell us all about what happened. So the fact is, none of us know for sure - but we can have our theories and our faith (in whatever)!

BTW/I hardly think you chased charles_r51 away. But if you have... thats too bad - I think charles_r51 was giving his opinion in a humorous way and I enjoyed it.
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: You really need to give it a rest. How can we blow it when Christ died for our sins so we might have eternal life. But then you may not believe in Christ but that doesn't make you right, just what you bellieve. I have no intention of blowing it the first time, I'm doing it right. However I don't expect you to believe what I say. And there ain't nothing you are going to say to make me believe I am wrong. I'm not telling you what to believe and I expect you to give me the same courtesy.

believe whatever you can, but learn what you must.:-4 :-4 :D
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

rainbowsmiles wrote: I wasn't responding to your post when I posted about reincarnation, Jesus and Constantine - I just wanted to post it because it is a historical fact and I wanted to share it with people who may or may not know it. As far as what I believe, please don't read a few of my words and then assume to know what I think or believe because you won't even come close ;)

I'm very aware what has happened in our history. More aware than I would like to be at times.

Anyone can believe what they want. Just because someone shares an opinion or a few facts doesn't mean they are saying their way is the right and ONLY way. They might just be sharing what they think.

Just as you say "I'm doing it right" - that is subjective don't you think? Wouldn't you agree that only God can determine if your doing something wrong or right? I do what I believe is best for me and my sanity, I can only hope that my choices are the right choices because they certainly feel right for me at this point in my life.

I really don't get your point here. Your reading much to much into the few words I posted. I have no problem with your beliefs :wah: - where do you see me having a problem with your beliefs?

As far as I'm concerned - any religious or non-religious belief regarding the afterlife or lack there of is personal and all are valid. No one has ever died, been buried and then returned later to tell us all about what happened. So the fact is, none of us know for sure - but we can have our theories and our faith (in whatever)!

BTW/I hardly think you chased charles_r51 away. But if you have... thats too bad - I think charles_r51 was giving his opinion in a humorous way and I enjoyed it.

no i wasn't chased away, just needed some sleep.

i try to say what i think and don't worry if someone disagrees. there is far to much of that in this world anyway so i don't take anything personal. people sometimes think i deliberately offend but i realize that everyone will only accept what they can, and the rest goes into the trash. i know that is how i am and so i hope others are the same. if not, what difference does it make?:D :-4
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51 wrote: believe whatever you can, but learn what you must.:-4 :-4 :D

Of course Charles

I believe as I choose the same as you. And I learn a lot more than what you might think, I just do not choose to learn from you. I do not believe in reincarnation but that is just me. I don't expect you to believe me and what I say is simply what I believe and I am learning all the time. When I stop learning, I will be dead and I still won't believe in reincarntion. But I really don't mind if you do.

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: Of course Charles

I believe as I choose the same as you. And I learn a lot more than what you might think, I just do not choose to learn from you. I do not believe in reincarnation but that is just me. I don't expect you to believe me and what I say is simply what I believe and I am learning all the time. When I stop learning, I will be dead and I still won't believe in reincarntion. But I really don't mind if you do.

you are not alone in what you belivew, nor am i in mine. we learn from whatever or whoever we will, at the appropriate time, and for what we need to learn. you have your teachers, i have mine. they need not be the same, but who knows? i don't teach or preach. i only give my opinion. other than that, well be yourself.:D :-4 :-4
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51 wrote: you are not alone in what you belivew, nor am i in mine. we learn from whatever or whoever we will, at the appropriate time, and for what we need to learn. you have your teachers, i have mine. they need not be the same, but who knows? i don't teach or preach. i only give my opinion. other than that, well be yourself.:D :-4 :-4

You know Charles, we can't just agree cuz if we do then there won't be anything to talk about. Now we just have to find something else to get going on. Don't I know you from somewhere?:cool:

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: You know Charles, we can't just agree cuz if we do then there won't be anything to talk about. Now we just have to find something else to get going on. Don't I know you from somewhere?:cool:

didn't we meet in the forum garden coffee shop? for the life of me i can't remember. olde age and all that, doncha knmow?:wah: :-3 :D
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51 wrote: didn't we meet in the forum garden coffee shop? for the life of me i can't remember. olde age and all that, doncha knmow?:wah: :-3 :DWah, how about coffee shop on Winstop Lane back in 1857 or thereabouts:guitarist There's an olde saying about if you want to know if the bird is yours, set it free and if it comes back, it is yours.

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber wrote: Wah, how about coffee shop on Winstop Lane back in 1857 or thereabouts:guitarist There's an olde saying about if you want to know if the bird is yours, set it free and if it comes back, it is yours.

unfortunately my bird was a crow and he got shot by the farmer next door last week. i tried some bluebirds but they messed all over my cake and i fed them to the cat. never did like birds. prefer dogs. at least they can be sent to fetch the rabbits. :-5 :-5 :wah:
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

A careful examination of the universe at large reveals a remarkable efficiency. It doesn't appear to waste anything. Not a single quark, particle, or wave. It seems to recycle everything.

Having said that, it makes no sense to me that it wouldn't recycle conciousnees, too, on some level.

It's likely more fantastic than any of us can imagine. The componenet parts might break down, much as the hydrogen and oxygen molecules break down in water to form other things.

The memory of a loved one that is triggered by the scent of a rose on a spring day could be their essence that was distributed through the soil along with the mineral content of their physical body.

Eastern philosophies that incorporate karma and the progression of the soul in their teachings have us returning in human form, which may well be the case. I don't think that this is the only possible scenario, however.

Transpersonal phsychologist, Ken Wilber addresses this question in one of his essays. He said that he gets asked the question a lot, and that it's a no win situation for him. He loses half his audience regardless of which side of the arguement he comes down on. He then goes on to say that he does believe that it occurs, and launches into a detailed explanation that goes way over my head.

jennyswan;216949 wrote: I would like to know what people think about the concept of reincarnation and past lives. I am really between 2 minds. About 4 years ago I went through a bad patch and for the first time in my life I felt myself confronting ideas tradionally against my Catholic upbringing. I have since become quite fascinated with the topics and have read loads of books. I still can't decide whether I truely believe but some of it certainly makes sense.

I have been reading things on another forum which shall remain nameless regarding peoples experiences and I must honestly say that I find some of them quite 'off the wall'.

It seems like they all have past lives dating back in certain cases hundreds of years.

I mean in all honestly, how the hell would you remember?

As you see I'm also a sceptic finding it hard to just believe something without scientific evidence.

Since I've started all this I have had the most amazing dreams though!! Do you think that you suddenly open up a little bit if you start dealing with all these topics?

I would be grateful for some feedback on this.

Thanks so much.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

>>>It is in direct opposition to Christian teachings bascially because it denies Jesus as your Savior and puts ALL the power of eternal life within you.

Reincarnation was part of Christian philosophy until about the 8th century.
Okie

Post by Okie »

jennyswan;216949 wrote: I would like to know what people think about the concept of reincarnation and past lives. I am really between 2 minds. About 4 years ago I went through a bad patch and for the first time in my life I felt myself confronting ideas tradionally against my Catholic upbringing. I have since become quite fascinated with the topics and have read loads of books. I still can't decide whether I truely believe but some of it certainly makes sense.

I have been reading things on another forum which shall remain nameless regarding peoples experiences and I must honestly say that I find some of them quite 'off the wall'.

It seems like they all have past lives dating back in certain cases hundreds of years.

I mean in all honestly, how the hell would you remember?

As you see I'm also a sceptic finding it hard to just believe something without scientific evidence.

Since I've started all this I have had the most amazing dreams though!! Do you think that you suddenly open up a little bit if you start dealing with all these topics?

Thanks so much.

I am fairly sure there are people who have ben reincarnated many times. My grand daughter lives with me and she dont bat an eye when she tells me about her Texas mom and what she did when she lived in Texas. She is now ten but she has been saying this for years. She said she was 22 at one time when she lived in Texas. She said she died and went to Heaven and God sent her back down to be born to her now mom. Besides this, once when she was in her twos, she was standing near on corner of the living room and talking. He mom asked her what she was doing and she told her she was talking to that man. There was no man there. Her mom asked her what man and she said Tommy Thompson. That was my son who was her moms brother and he had got killed many years before. We had never told her his name or anything about it. I have heard of Indigo Children and I have to wonder if she is. She is very bright now and is going to a school program they call ACE. It means Academic Center for Ehancement I think. Out of two cities here they chose 600 children to go there one day a week and they chose by test scores and she scored 100. They had to score 96 at least. Only her and one other child in her grade at school were chosen. Strange how at age two she did not seem to have much imagination. She just called her dolls doll or her pets cat or dog. But now she does have a lot of imagination.
koan

Post by koan »

Kids are amazing. I love stories like that.
weber

Post by weber »

jennyswan;216949 wrote: I would like to know what people think about the concept of reincarnation and past lives. I am really between 2 minds.

Thanks so much.

Hi Jenny

I don't believe in reincarnation and past lives.....it just doesn't fit in with what I believe about me and my soul and all. I believe that if you open yourself to it and you are drawn to it, that is where your belief will be. But I don't think you can, on this particular issue, have any other belief at the same time. I don't think other beliefs mix well with it. I was exposed to reincarnation thoughts and found myself buying into it until I realized I had to give up everything I have believed up until now so I separated myself from it.

I am not against reincarnation. I am just saying that it is not for me.

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

alobar51;467203 wrote: A careful examination of the universe at large reveals a remarkable efficiency. It doesn't appear to waste anything. Not a single quark, particle, or wave. It seems to recycle everything.

Having said that, it makes no sense to me that it wouldn't recycle conciousnees, too, on some level.

It's likely more fantastic than any of us can imagine. The componenet parts might break down, much as the hydrogen and oxygen molecules break down in water to form other things.

The memory of a loved one that is triggered by the scent of a rose on a spring day could be their essence that was distributed through the soil along with the mineral content of their physical body.

Eastern philosophies that incorporate karma and the progression of the soul in their teachings have us returning in human form, which may well be the case. I don't think that this is the only possible scenario, however.

Transpersonal phsychologist, Ken Wilber addresses this question in one of his essays. He said that he gets asked the question a lot, and that it's a no win situation for him. He loses half his audience regardless of which side of the arguement he comes down on. He then goes on to say that he does believe that it occurs, and launches into a detailed explanation that goes way over my head.

edgar cayce had many thousands of readings which discussed many aspects of the reincarnation idea. in most, he would identify which past lives were affecting the current lives of the subject being given the reading. one of his ideas was the usefulness of knowing what you did in your past lives.

i don't know his exact words, but they were to the effct that knowing all details would be far more detrimental to the individual to know than to keep it from being known.

for example, if the individual was one to commit greivous harm to others, the felings of guilt would overwhelm the person, as would knowledge of the great things done lead the person to try to do such things again, but fail to since the conditions would be so different.

while knowing of a past life might be of interest, it would not really be helpful to know more than just a cursory idea of the period in which the individual lived. details would cause confusion and even some inability to deal with the current conditions which may be directly linked to the past. instead of progressive actions being taken, the actions may be regressive for the individual.

knowing that, would you want to remember all the details of even one past life, let alone all of them? it is a truism when people say ignorance is bliss, especially when any knowledge of a past life is concerned.

whether some believe, or disbelieve in reincarnation is something which is an interesting subject, but not one to become the end all of knowledge. in a sense it really makes little or no difference what one believes. :-4 :-4 :-4
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

alobar51;467206 wrote: >>>It is in direct opposition to Christian teachings bascially because it denies Jesus as your Savior and puts ALL the power of eternal life within you.

Reincarnation was part of Christian philosophy until about the 8th century.

if you read about john the baptist, you will note that jc said john was a reincarnated individual, and even tells who he was in that life. much of the references to reincarnation were removed from the bible because there was a fear that it would become known that those who were responsible for some very bad acts would have to return to face the same conditions they had engaged in but be the one upon which those actions would occur. eastern religions call it karma. it is nothing more than cause and effect. that which you do unto others shall be done unto you, whether for good or ill.

the old testament gives many examples of what happens to those who act wrongly, and how they are punished, or rewarded for their actions when the actions are good.

david is an excellant example. read about what he did, both right, and wrong, and how his actions were rewarded, or how he recieved punishment, for his actions.:-4 :-4 :driving:
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber;467362 wrote: Hi Jenny

I don't believe in reincarnation and past lives.....it just doesn't fit in with what I believe about me and my soul and all. I believe that if you open yourself to it and you are drawn to it, that is where your belief will be. But I don't think you can, on this particular issue, have any other belief at the same time. I don't think other beliefs mix well with it. I was exposed to reincarnation thoughts and found myself buying into it until I realized I had to give up everything I have believed up until now so I separated myself from it.

I am not against reincarnation. I am just saying that it is not for me.

hi weber. it's me again! i see you got a new bird. how'd you get it to flap its wings, but not fly away? :D :guitarist :driving:
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51;467923 wrote: hi weber. it's me again! i see you got a new bird. how'd you get it to flap its wings, but not fly away? :guitarist :driving:

Hey Charles

How ya doin'? The bird is an animation smiley or image. He came that way and I asked him to stay and he said "OK".:)

Not sure what you are saying up above but I have not had any past lives and will not have any future lives......just this one so there is no problem for me. I have been told by somebody that it doesn't matter what I believe, that I reincarnate anyway. I don't buy into that.....it is like me saying that others are what I say they are regardless of what they believe. The world is full of multiple choices and thank God we don't have to life by other peoples' choices.:)

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber;467987 wrote: Hey Charles

How ya doin'? The bird is an animation smiley or image. He came that way and I asked him to stay and he said "OK".:)

Not sure what you are saying up above but I have not had any past lives and will not have any future lives......just this one so there is no problem for me. I have been told by somebody that it doesn't matter what I believe, that I reincarnate anyway. I don't buy into that.....it is like me saying that others are what I say they are regardless of what they believe. The world is full of multiple choices and thank God we don't have to life by other peoples' choices.:)

nice of the bird! but now to convince you about, uh, what was the question? i seem to have short term memory loss. it started with my name. oh well, on to the next problem. now what was i supposed to ask? forget it, i'll call the boss. he'll know. (i hope):-5 :D

as for what i wrote earlier, to each his own.
weber

Post by weber »

charles_r51;468299 wrote: nice of the bird! but now to convince you about, uh, what was the question? i seem to have short term memory loss. it started with my name. oh well, on to the next problem. now what was i supposed to ask? forget it, i'll call the boss. he'll know. (i hope):-5 :D

as for what i wrote earlier, to each his own.

As usual I am not crafty enough (I know I am smart) to figure out what you are talking about. Charles is your name, that's right on your avatar or thereabouts. Now do tell me what is your game. I am one of those boring "what you see is what I am" types. If I am confusing to you, it is an accident. Anyway, I always enjoy wondering what you are talking about.:D

charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

weber;468312 wrote: As usual I am not crafty enough (I know I am smart) to figure out what you are talking about. Charles is your name, that's right on your avatar or thereabouts. Now do tell me what is your game. I am one of those boring "what you see is what I am" types. If I am confusing to you, it is an accident. Anyway, I always enjoy wondering what you are talking about.:D

don't feel bad about not understanding what i'm talking about. my wife and kids are the same way. and most of the time i don't know what i'm talking about either.if i ever figure it out, then i'll probably go nuts wondering how i got that way! the only game i like is chess, and i can't hardly beat myself, let alone someone who knows how to play.

i don't mean to be confusing, it just comes out that way. but at least i can find my way around this town. my wife gets lost trying to get out of an open paper bag. and if that ain't bad enough, i'm beginning to confuse myself. i think i need a beer!:D :-5

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”