here today, gone....today?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I've noticed a strange phenomenon here in the garden! *lowers voice to a whisper* People seem to post just one thing, usually in the 'I need advice' forums, then disappear!

Do we have a monster in the garden who eats hapless victims after they make their first post?

Why ask for advice, if you're not going to come back and get it? :-3
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

Maybe its not the answer they wanted!!! :)
Raven

Post by Raven »

I think they should at least tell us the outcome of the problem! Sheesh! :yh_silent
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

I know! Especially when people have gone to the trouble of trying to help. When you ask for advice you should be prepared to hear something you maybe don't want to.
Raven

Post by Raven »

And who knows? Maybe there is someone who can actually help! But if they dont come back, we'll never know.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

I think you are right. Peple in the garden are very nice. Whever someone ask for advice they come forward and try to help with all sincerity. It is but natural that they will be interested to know about the outcome. It is the least people seeking advice can do to take forum members in confidence about the result.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Raven wrote: I've noticed a strange phenomenon here in the garden! *lowers voice to a whisper* People seem to post just one thing, usually in the 'I need advice' forums, then disappear!

Do we have a monster in the garden who eats hapless victims after they make their first post?

Why ask for advice, if you're not going to come back and get it? :-3

As a generalization, most of these one-post wonders are needy. Needy people aren't usually known for giving. :o

One wonders if "needy" people create their own troubles - and sentence themselves to lives of visiting different forums asking for advice.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

Tombstone wrote: As a generalization, most of these one-post wonders are needy. Needy people aren't usually known for giving. :o

One wonders if "needy" people create their own troubles - and sentence themselves to lives of visiting different forums asking for advice.

Yes, that is a possibility.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
Raven

Post by Raven »

Suresh Gupta wrote: I think you are right. Peple in the garden are very nice. Whever someone ask for advice they come forward and try to help with all sincerity. It is but natural that they will be interested to know about the outcome. It is the least people seeking advice can do to take forum members in confidence about the result.
There is much compassion to be found here. And alot of common sense. The different perspectives are refreshing and open. I just cant understand the not coming back to see what answers there may be in store? Why sign up to a forum, skip the intro, dive right into an advice forum, then disappear after the first post? I just dont get it. :thinking:
Paula

Post by Paula »

Raven, what is the name? I am not sure who it is you are referring too? Has this happened more than one time? My eyes spend a lot of time here, so i may remember the name? :yh_glasse
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
persephone

Post by persephone »

Tombstone wrote: As a generalization, most of these one-post wonders are needy. Needy people aren't usually known for giving. :o

One wonders if "needy" people create their own troubles - and sentence themselves to lives of visiting different forums asking for advice.Going with this thought, I know of a weird one (from another site) who doesn't ask for advice and will not say what the problem is, although everyone has asked. He goes out and gets drunk then logs in and is abusive to everyone... In one subsequent apology they say they are after punishment :-5

So I think I prefere the one post wonders who ask then go, far better than the attention seekers out there, like that one I just mentioned.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

It is a puzzle why people do this, so here's a thought: What can we do to get new members more interested in the whole Garden and stick around after we try to help them with whatever it was that brought them in the first place? When someone new comes along asking for help or advice, I usually make a point to tell them, Hey, this is a great place, poke around a bit while you're waiting for your replies. (Or something to that effect.)
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lime-sterman

Post by lime-sterman »

Originally Posted by Raven

I've noticed a strange phenomenon here in the garden! *lowers voice to a whisper* People seem to post just one thing, usually in the 'I need advice' forums, then disappear!

Why ask for advice, if you're not going to come back and get it?

I think the only thing that's in the forefront of their mind is the dilemma they have themselve's in! and once they see a post that offer's some way out of their dilemma, there gone!...........they have what they wanted! it's quicker and easier just to put your problem on a site such as this and let everyone else mull it over, or if the answer is not forthcoming right away there off to another forum to get the answer! hence maybe the one off posting! :)
Jives

Post by Jives »

BabyRider wrote: When someone new comes along asking for help or advice, I usually make a point to tell them, Hey, this is a great place, poke around a bit while you're waiting for your replies. (Or something to that effect.)

I'm with you BR. Especially some of the more interesting ones. I just don't understand it. Once I find a home, I like to stick with it. The only forum I've ever quit went totally weird and then the servers broke, permanently apparently.

The longer you stay at a single forum, the easier it is to identify and understand the individual members. It's like being part of a family!:D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
persephone

Post by persephone »

I have a forum that I would love to leave but, I'm trapped, not allowed to delete myself, not allowed to not log in daily.... I'm being held prisoner :-5

Sorry, you don't realise how good that just felt to type *sigh*
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

letha wrote: I have a forum that I would love to leave but, I'm trapped, not allowed to delete myself, not allowed to not log in daily.... I'm being held prisoner :-5

Sorry, you don't realise how good that just felt to type *sigh* How can they have that kind of control over you??:confused: sounds like false imprisonment to me!
persephone

Post by persephone »

lady cop wrote: How can they have that kind of control over you??:confused: sounds like false imprisonment to me! :wah: Sorry, it's my b/fs site, most definetly false imprisonment though... It's been a tough time on there recently... I just really needed to say somewhere that I was being held prisoner, if I say it to him, I'd be being ungrateful and causing more headache.
minks

Post by minks »

My thought is if the "needy" fall from being the center of attention they just drop out of site. So not sure if this is truth or not but seems a possibility. Surf sites post issues looking for attention and if they become the center of the forum then they stay, if they can't stir folks up and get them involved in their pity party they leave? I sound like a cold hearted *itch, but pity parties don't float my boat.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
koan

Post by koan »

It's not just on the forums. People do that all the time...only visit or call when they want something. The more often they do it the less likely I am to say anything helpful...just like the long threads where the onethreadposter keeps saying the same thing over and over for days or weeks.
Jives

Post by Jives »

minks wrote: I sound like a cold hearted *itch, but pity parties don't float my boat.

lol! Brrrrr! But I agree, it seems like a quite a few N()()bs have some emotional baggage that they just want to rant on about. In the words of our British friends, "I can't be arsed with it." :wah:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I lurk alot and read all the theads, just sometimes don't really post my opinion on matters cause well some folks just scare the bejeevies out of me.

I like this forum, it has alot of people from different backgrounds and places; it's interesting!

The lurker

Sheryl
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
minks

Post by minks »

Sheryl wrote: I lurk alot and read all the theads, just sometimes don't really post my opinion on matters cause well some folks just scare the bejeevies out of me.

I like this forum, it has alot of people from different backgrounds and places; it's interesting!

The lurker

Sheryl

And we aint scarey either unless bad spelling scares you then I am darn frightful :)

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: lol! Brrrrr! But I agree, it seems like a quite a few N()()bs have some emotional baggage that they just want to rant on about. In the words of our British friends, "I can't be arsed with it." :wah:

Hey Jives :yh_tong2

― Mae West
Jives

Post by Jives »

Sheryl wrote: I lurk alot and read all the theads, just sometimes don't really post my opinion on matters cause well some folks just scare the bejeevies out of me.

Not a thing wrong with that, Sheryl! But scared? It's not like we can jump through the screen and pounce on you! lol! Or are you a person who wears their "heart on their sleeve" so to speak?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Jives wrote: Not a thing wrong with that, Sheryl! But scared? It's not like we can jump through the screen and pounce on you! lol! Or are you a person who wears their "heart on their sleeve" so to speak?
That would be me. I'm the walking 'poster kid' for words hurt! :wah:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Jives wrote: Not a thing wrong with that, Sheryl! But scared? It's not like we can jump through the screen and pounce on you! lol! Or are you a person who wears their "heart on their sleeve" so to speak?

NO, no feelings on sleeve. I have a stupid anxiety about being judged by my peers. I guess just don't want people wondering what crack pipe I've been smoking; if something I say on here is totally out there.

Yea Yea I know I'm weird, :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son

Return to “General Chit Chat”