What An Example, Southern California!

xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

Developing Story:

From the UNITED WAY: More than half of Los Angeles County's working-age population cannot read a simple bus schedule or fill out a job application...
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Yes, since they are also talking about the inability to read a bus schedule - they are most likely talking about illiteracy.

IdeaSeeker wrote: Sometimes the question in a form is ambiguous and I don't know how to answer it. Is this the case for "Cannot fill out a job application"?

If it is just because those population don't know how to read, it really appals me!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

what i want to know is when the united way became a census statistic data gathering organization....i thought they were a charity.

illiteracy is bad stuff, but how does that fit with a charity?
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
CVX

Post by CVX »

More than you know. They are involved in all sorts of educational organizations. Read their charter.

They have their nose in everything.

anastrophe wrote: what i want to know is when the united way became a census statistic data gathering organization....i thought they were a charity.

illiteracy is bad stuff, but how does that fit with a charity?
CVX

Post by CVX »

Here is the story:

Illiteracy shockingly high in L.A.

Continued immigration and a stubborn high school dropout rate have stymied efforts to improve literacy in Los Angeles County, where more than half the working-age population can't read a simple form, a report released Wednesday found.

Alarmingly, only one in every 10 workers deemed functionally illiterate is enrolled in literacy classes and half of them drop out within three weeks, said the study by the United Way of Greater Los Angeles.

"It's an emergency situation," said Mayor James Hahn, adding that poor literacy rates could jeopardize the region's economy by driving out high-tech businesses and other industries that pay well.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 09,00.html
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

It's not the government's fault. It is the parent's fault. This is all about personal responsibility. There are great schools in L.A. There are terrible schools in L.A. For the parents who care, they get their kids moved to a new school district where they can learn and not fear for their lives. The government has proven time and time again that no matter how much money or "innovative blah blah blah programs" you throw at education, it doesn't mean a twit when neither the parents nor the children value what is being given to them.

As predicted, L.A. is devolving into a giant tar pit again.

plazul wrote:

but its public school system has become a wasteland of mediocrity. Both political parties are to blame for that.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Well, I have to admit: My wife and I consider ourselves caring parents and we not only changed school districts, but we moved out of state! :)

The only option we had were private schools. So that's what we did - for almost 6 years. Multiply that by 3 kids and you can see how tough it was becoming. :-3

We chose an area that is ranked in the top 95th percentile of all public schools in the country. Safe, great facilities, great teachers, parents really care, and the education is better (in my opinion) than our private schools in California. Are our schools as well funded as in California? Nope. Are they nicer, neater, cleaner, and full of the same amenities? You bet!

It's all about caring.

xlt66 wrote: It's not the government's fault. It is the parent's fault. This is all about personal responsibility. There are great schools in L.A. There are terrible schools in L.A. For the parents who care, they get their kids moved to a new school district where they can learn and not fear for their lives. The government has proven time and time again that no matter how much money or "innovative blah blah blah programs" you throw at education, it doesn't mean a twit when neither the parents nor the children value what is being given to them.

As predicted, L.A. is devolving into a giant tar pit again.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Current Events”