Travel Tales

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Travel Tales

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: I just read in the latest edition of Performance Bikes that three guys undertook a mission to see who could get from John O Groats to Lands End in the least time...one managed it in 12 and a half hours!

Considering it took me 10 hours each way to get from Lowey to Cornwall, that's pretty mind blowing!

Anyone got any good stories about journeys they've been on?

54 Minutes from Felixtow docks to Royston - including a stop for petrol. The driver was a nutter.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Travel Tales

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: It wasn't me was it?:D

Nah - my then Sales Manager. He claimed to have driven from Royston to Glasgow in 4:30 - it took me, with wife and baby on board, just shy of 11 hours continuous driving to do the same journey.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Travel Tales

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Either they were VERY clear roads, or he was exaggerating just slightly!

80 miles in 50 minutes on Suffolk A roads - I wouldn't put it past him up the motorways
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Travel Tales

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Pinky wrote: Yeah, good point!!!

Bloody hell, i thought I was a speedfreak!

I thought I was but he worried me - an MG 2.0 turbo and it was hitting 140 quite a bit of the time
minks

Travel Tales

Post by minks »

Well if we ain't talking speedy hahahaha

I could share a whole pile of road trip stories with you....

Here in Fair Canadaland we have a load of wide open spaces

Pinky if ya jumped on your bike you could drive 1 hour west of me, and be in the heart of the GREAT Rocky Mountains, It is a bike trip of a life time, you are surrounded by mountains and some of the most gorgeous scenery on the planet. There are off roads to lakes, small creeks and dense forest. Sometimes you encounter Deer, or Mountain goats along the way. The hiway is paved and smooth so it makes for easy riding and on a hot day you can ride without a jacket.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Lulu2

Travel Tales

Post by Lulu2 »

When I think about grueling journeys, I remember going to Borneo. We flew from LAX to Tokyo to Kuala Lampur to Kuching to Kota Kinabalu.

Borneo is the ancient home of the Dayak, also known as the "wild men of Borneo," who are headhunters. By the time we got there, we were so ZOMBIEFIED from fatigue that we probably would've cheerfully offered up our heads in return for a bed to lie in! :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Travel Tales

Post by Lulu2 »

Ummm....not the most comfortable trip, Pinky. We were in rain forest which was so thick with leeches that we couldn't pee in the woods, for fear they'd attack our bums & worse! Not my favorite place.

On the other hand, they have amazing birds, orangutans, gibbons, elephants and bizarre insects.

And headhunters....

Oh, and that's where some of the men sport the fishhook tattoo which means they have a PALANG! ;)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Travel Tales

Post by Lulu2 »

Ah--or how many stops to pee? :wah:
zinkyusa

Travel Tales

Post by zinkyusa »

Diuretic wrote: Pee at destination only - think of it as a motivator :D

remind not to ever let him drive..:wah:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Lulu2

Travel Tales

Post by Lulu2 »

Damned right! SADISTIC is what I'd call it!:sneaky:
Imladris

Travel Tales

Post by Imladris »

Oh my God! Call me ignorant if you like but I didn't know what a palang was so I googled it......how I wish I hadn't!!

I know it's not something I could ever have (don't have the right equipment) but it brought tears to my eyes!!!!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Lulu2

Travel Tales

Post by Lulu2 »

:wah: Every man I've ever told about the palang has WINCED, VISIBLY! The men who have one get a fish hook tattoo on their lower leg--I guess that's a kind of advertisement!

We visited a longhouse, which is the traditional communal building where the Iban (Dayak) people live. Skulls were hanging from the rafters. I thought it was just "window dressing" and didn't pay too much attention to it.

BUT--about a year after we were there, local tribes had a dispute and I read that some heads were taken.

It was interesting.

Return to “Travel Vacation”