distant thoughts

Discuss the metaphysical.
nerous

distant thoughts

Post by nerous »

Hi there everyone. I read a thread from a few years back on here about distant thought. ie, when 2 people are thinking about each other at the same time from a great distance.

What i am curious to know and learn is why. why does it happen? why does it only happen with certain people.

Thanks guys.

N
spot

distant thoughts

Post by spot »

Perhaps more to the point, why is it not consistently repeatable between the same two people? Without such consistency the whole matter becomes subjective and potentially coincidental.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
guppy

distant thoughts

Post by guppy »

i have picked up the phone to call my friend linda before and she would be on the line without it ever ringing. we thought about eachother at the same time.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

Sounds like something that might have been mentioned in remote viewing discussions.

Understanding how it works depends in part on how you view the physical world and what limits you put on the concept of what is "real" in a physical sense. When I send or receive energy it doesn't have to travel like a person's body does. It goes there directly. Whether the other person picks it up or not depends on their receptivity at the time.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

spot wrote: Perhaps more to the point, why is it not consistently repeatable between the same two people? Without such consistency the whole matter becomes subjective and potentially coincidental.

I'm surprised that you believe in coincidence with the weight implied here.
nerous

distant thoughts

Post by nerous »

Holy crapola!

I didnt expect such a response already...

glad to see you guys are on top of things there!

here is My example:

a few years ago i lived in Alabama, USA. i am from canada but i was there for a year.

met a few friends, and one of the woman i met, we just had a ...different connection. it wasnt a sexual thing or anything, we were jsut happy to be around eachother or thinking about eachother.....just different.

well anyway i moved back to canada and we had spoken a few times in between but nothing concrete. the reason i ask is because the last time we spoke 3 or 4 years ago on the phone, she was expecting my call. she was thinking about me as i was her.

we just started talking again yesterday after i found her finally on myspace.com.

i had started looking last week because i couldnt get her off my mind. She was also looking for me for the same reasons.

we still love eachother in a very different way from anyone else we have ever loved. we are both happily married but we still have this feeling.

I dont know if soul mates exist or if its something that was made up, but it comes to my mind anyway with this situation... what do you guys think? am i as crazy as i think?

Thanks N
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

If you are looking to apply an understanding of distant thoughts and spiritual connections to a specific relationship I caution you against going astray. I've met people that were more familiar to me than my family and then they disappear from my life just as many others do.

If you believe in reincarnation then you'd make sense of my saying that it is a relief to find people we "know" amidst all the unfamiliars. They are just as likely to be someone who killed you in a past life as someone with whom you were in love. At the same time, people tend to arrive in our lives when we need them, for however long that relationship is helpful. When you feel drawn to someone it is always a good idea to find out why they entered your life. Just don't jump to conclusions...especially about your marraige (to be specific myself)
Bill Sikes

distant thoughts

Post by Bill Sikes »

nerous wrote: Hi there everyone. I read a thread from a few years back on here about distant thought. ie, when 2 people are thinking about each other at the same time from a great distance.

What i am curious to know and learn is why. why does it happen? why does it only happen with certain people.

How many people do you need to gather together to achieve a 50:50 chance

that a pair of them will share the same birthday? I forget now, and CBA - but

it may be 23. I think this statistic is related to "Why does it happen?".
nerous

distant thoughts

Post by nerous »

so...im confused...i am going to safely assume that there basically is no scientific answer as to why this happens.

i am so interested in learning why and how this happens. i mean, thanks for the words of encouragement about the go for it thing pinky :-)

like i said before, we have always loved each other and we have always had this connection. i just want to know why! is there any way to figure it out. to disect it.(sp)

it amazes me how the body works.

N
Bill Sikes

distant thoughts

Post by Bill Sikes »

nerous wrote: so...im confused...i am going to safely assume that there basically is no scientific answer as to why this happens.

There could well *be* a good "scientific" answer. I shouldn't assume there

is not!

nerous wrote: i am so interested in learning why and how this happens. i mean, thanks for the words of encouragement about the go for it thing pinky :-)

like i said before, we have always loved each other and we have always had this connection. i just want to know why! is there any way to figure it out.

Well, if that's true, you are on safe ground! Well Done!

nerous wrote: to disect it.(sp)

it amazes me how the body works.

Oh, I shouldn't worry about it. If it does, it's good. If it does not, well - there's

a problem.
Bryn Mawr

distant thoughts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bill Sikes wrote: How many people do you need to gather together to achieve a 50:50 chance

that a pair of them will share the same birthday? I forget now, and CBA - but

it may be 23. I think this statistic is related to "Why does it happen?".

It is indeed 23 - I thought it low so I checked it and surprised myself, the 23rd entry rises to a 50.73% probability.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

I'll be blunt.

It sounds like you are looking for a reason to do what you want to do and if you can get scientific proof then it's free and clear...you have little choice. You would be mistaken. If someone is tempting you from your marriage consider it a sign that the marriage should be looked at but look at it separately. "Scientific" facts will likely show that most people who leave a relationship and jump into another rarely find it works out.

Perhaps the meeting is just a signal that you should be dealing with a bad relationship or remembering why you are married whichever be the case.

I'd rather not discuss a metaphysical issue as an answer to a non metaphysical situation.

If I'm wrong then lets stick to the original question.
nerous

distant thoughts

Post by nerous »

Neither of us are looking to do anything outside of our marriges. im sorry if it came across that way. i guess i just havent been very clear.

I am amazed at how we, my lady friend and i can communicate, and i just wanted to know any information on it. scientific or spiritual. i am really interested in learning about it, just one of thos things i have always wanted to know.

i was also about to reply to your post on re-incarnation and such as i find that fasinating as well.
Alabama

distant thoughts

Post by Alabama »

I think you are terribly mistaken about what our Canadian friend here is talking about. You see I am the woman he speaks of, and neither of us intend to peruse a relationship outside of our separate marriages. If he was implying that he would have just simply said it, he is not very tactful. (Jas I love ya but your not:-4 ) He truly is very interested if there is a name for what we share (this connection) or a scientific explanation. He is not seeking LOVE advice from anyone, we can handle that part ourselves. He is perfectly capable of making decisions in that department without anyone’s opinion. He and I both are interested in the mere existence of this special connection between two people. We are not asking anyone’s (especially people we don’t even know) permission. Thanks for the concern though. Marriage is sacred and it is up to us the public to keep it that way. If you do have some insight as to what this is called, and why like he asked in his original post please by all means share with the group. ~ Alabama
Alabama

distant thoughts

Post by Alabama »

See like just now we were not talking, yet we posted the same sentence at the same time. "Neither of us are looking to do anything outside of our marriges"

Its things like that that happen to us all the time, not to mention the thinking of eachother stuff
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

good to set that straight then. cheers.

Looking for scientific explanations is not likely to result in satisfaction. Even the psychics with the highest accuracy ratings have not been able to reproduce their effects in a laboratory environment and they will produce many whining and wimpy explanations as to why.

I've never been able to find proof when looking for it with my logic. And when I do get proof it is for me and no one else would accept it as viable proof. Perhaps spot could expand on his use of the words "subjective" and "coincidence". I would not use them in the same way. The world, imo, is entirely subjective and I'm not much of a believer in coincidence.

Yes reincarnation is a fun topic.
Alabama

distant thoughts

Post by Alabama »

I totally agree with you I have no belief in coincidence what so ever. I myself have always settled on and even have told my loving husband that Canada is just my soulmate and there really is no way around it. He seems to apperciate the truthfulness. I am like Canada in being interested to know more if anyone ever runs across this and has more to input. ~ Bama
Bryn Mawr

distant thoughts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan wrote: good to set that straight then. cheers.

Looking for scientific explanations is not likely to result in satisfaction. Even the psychics with the highest accuracy ratings have not been able to reproduce their effects in a laboratory environment and they will produce many whining and wimpy explanations as to why.

I've never been able to find proof when looking for it with my logic. And when I do get proof it is for me and no one else would accept it as viable proof. Perhaps spot could expand on his use of the words "subjective" and "coincidence". I would not use them in the same way. The world, imo, is entirely subjective and I'm not much of a believer in coincidence.

Yes reincarnation is a fun topic.

J.B. Rhine used to get pretty good results under lab conditions in his work at Duke University - except when the Funding Fathers came to visit, so they closed him down.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

I met a man who was able to describe in detail a very bizarre birthmark that I have on my thigh that had never been revealed to him. He then showed me the exact same birthmark on his opposite thigh. He was a shaman. We spent about 6 months together and I no longer speak to him or wish to speak to him. He was not my "soulmate" though I have never met anyone I felt so connected to in my life before or since. Not to say that I won't at some point in the future.

It is only interesting in that it happens and in that some people, like yourselves, notice it.

I've met a number of people I recognise and they do not always recognise me. Depends on the person and what they might be going through at the time. I'm glad you two get some comfort from knowing each other and that your spouses don't mind. It is to their credit.

You might try past life regression therapy to see if it reveals anything that would illuminate your connection. If you try it, try to get a recommendation. There are a lot of frauds out there.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

Bryn Mawr wrote: J.B. Rhine used to get pretty good results under lab conditions in his work at Duke University - except when the Funding Fathers came to visit, so they closed him down.
And there is a research centre in his name.
Bryn Mawr

distant thoughts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan wrote: And there is a research centre in his name.

I believe that, when they closed his research down at Duke University, he opened up his own centre to continue his research privately.

Although he died some years ago, it still continues.
koan

distant thoughts

Post by koan »

Bryn Mawr wrote: I believe that, when they closed his research down at Duke University, he opened up his own centre to continue his research privately.

Although he died some years ago, it still continues.

I imagine the world would respond dramatically to any significant scientific proof of metaphysical systems. It would be neat to see that happen in my lifetime.
Bryn Mawr

distant thoughts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan wrote: I imagine the world would respond dramatically to any significant scientific proof of metaphysical systems. It would be neat to see that happen in my lifetime.

Don't hold your breath - the ones that can don't advertise it.

Return to “Magic Mystery”