on this day 3-17

Bullet

on this day 3-17

Post by Bullet »

1762, in New York City, the first parade honoring the Catholic feast day of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is held by Irish soldiers serving in the British army.

Saint Patrick, who was born in the late 4th century, was one of the most successful Christian missionaries in history. Born in Britain to a Christian family of Roman citizenship, he was taken prisoner at the age of 16 by a group of Irish raiders who attacked his familys estate. They transported him to Ireland, and he spent six years in captivity before escaping back to Britain. Believing he had been called by God to Christianize Ireland, he joined the Catholic church and studied for 15 years before being consecrated as the church's second missionary to Ireland. Patrick began his mission to Ireland in 432, and by his death in 460, the island was almost entirely christian.
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
Jives

on this day 3-17

Post by Jives »

Not bad for 28 years. Thanks for the info, I always wanted to know about that. Actually, I had to go home this morning and change clothes because i forgot it was St. Pat's day. I even have a bright green bowler. One thing you don't want to do as a teacher is forget to wear green on St. Patrick's day. That and forget April Fool's Day. ( It falls on a Friday this year!)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
BabyRider

on this day 3-17

Post by BabyRider »

My soon-to-be step daughter asked if I was Irish today. Said if I wasn't wearing green and WAS Irish, she'd have to smack me. Then she said she wanted a shirt that says "Kiss me, I'm Irish". Hmm...wonder what her Dad will say about that.... :yh_giggle
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

kensloft

on this day 3-17

Post by kensloft »

Thanks. Concise, informational and a good read. They were, however, Roman Catholics. I know it's Christian but... ?
Bullet

on this day 3-17

Post by Bullet »

kensloft wrote: Thanks. Concise, informational and a good read. They were, however, Roman Catholics. I know it's Christian but... ?I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the difference.
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
kensloft

on this day 3-17

Post by kensloft »

Bullet wrote: I'm not Catholic, so I don't know the difference.
It's just that we don't want the Orthodox Catholics to be offended by taking the credit for the evolution of the religious stuff over there.
kensloft

on this day 3-17

Post by kensloft »

St. Patrick's Day Word Origins

The shamrock (Irish seamróg) is a plant with trifoliate leaves and it is a symbol of St. Patrick's Day because tradition has it that St. Patrick used the plant to explain the theological doctrine of the Holy Trinity (three persons in one God). The word is a diminutive of Irish seamar, "clover." The ancient Druids associated the shamrock with the coming of spring and the rebirth of the natural world at the vernal equinox. The shamrock was later adopted as the national symbol of Ireland. The phrase "to drown the shamrock" means "to go drinking on St. Patrick's Day." Clover is the common name for this species of trefoil, but it was spelled various ways prior to 1600, which is also what happened to shamrock until around 1577.

The alcoholic liquor called beer has been around for quite some time. Before 6000 BC, beer was made from barley in Sumeria and Babylonia. Reliefs on Egyptian tombs dating from 2400 BC show that barley or partly germinated barley was crushed, mixed with water, and dried into cakes. When broken up and mixed with water, the cakes give an extract that was fermented by microorganisms accumulated on the surfaces of fermenting vessels. The word's etymology is uncertain but it came to us through West Germanic, perhaps from Latin biber, "drink," from bibere, "to drink."

In Irish folklore, a leprechaun was a tiny sprite or fairy who carried a purse containing a shilling. The word is derived from Old Irish luchorpán, "wee ones," from lu, "small" + corp, "body." Over the years, the word luchorpán was confused with an Irish word meaning "one shoemaker." The leprechaun started being depicted as a solitary creature working on a single shoe instead of a pair.

Ireland's (Irish Éire) first human occupation did not begin until a late stage in the prehistory of Europe. It has generally been held that the first arrivals were Mesolithic hunter-fisher people, represented largely by flintwork found mainly in ancient beaches in the historic counties of Antrim, Down, Louth, and Dublin. The word Éire may itself mean "western land," from a root word related to Gaelic iar, "west." It first appears as Ierne in Greek writings which may have a base dating as early as the 5th century BC. The name appears as Iouernia in Ptolemy's map (c AD 150) and has also been found translated into Latin as Iuverna. The Latin form, Hibernia, appears in the works of Caesar, who may have confused it with the Latin word hibernus, "wintry." Ériu was an Old Irish form of Éire, and was seen in the earliest of Irish literature.

Rainbow comes from Old Norse regnbogi (becoming Old English renboga, ren, "rain" + boga "bend, bow") and is a bow or arch of the colors of the prism that is formed in the sky opposite to the sun by the reflection, double refraction, and dispersion of the sun's rays in falling drops of rain. There are many stories about the pot of gold existing at the end of a rainbow.

St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was not actually Irish. He was born on March 17 around AD 385, somewhere in Roman Britain, possibly near Dumbarton, Scotland. At 16, he was captured by Irish raiders looking for slaves and he was taken there to tend sheep. After six years of slavery, he ran away and ended up wandering through southern Gaul (France) and Italy. There, he had a vision from God which told him to return to Ireland and convert the pagans to Christianity. Returning to Ireland around 432, St. Patrick did missionary work until he died in 464. The country of Ireland went into mourning. The first St. Patrick's Day celebration in the United States was in 1737 in Boston
Bullet

on this day 3-17

Post by Bullet »

BabyRider wrote: My soon-to-be step daughter asked if I was Irish today. Said if I wasn't wearing green and WAS Irish, she'd have to smack me. Then she said she wanted a shirt that says "Kiss me, I'm Irish". Hmm...wonder what her Dad will say about that.... :yh_giggleI think I'll buy her a shirt that reads "Don't even think about it. My dad will kick your @ss":mad:

Or "Touch me and they'll never find your body"

Or "6'2", 240lbs, shaved head, I call him Daddy"

Or "My Daddy owns a gun"

I think I'll start a thread for more suggestions.
BabyRider

on this day 3-17

Post by BabyRider »

Bullet wrote:

I think I'll start a thread for more suggestions.I think that's a great idea, and I can't wait to see the replies you get!!!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Raven

on this day 3-17

Post by Raven »

:yh_rotfl
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Return to “History”