Are you a hunter: yes or no? (explain)

Dixiespurgirl

Post by Dixiespurgirl »

I was wanting to know how everyone stands on hunting. I'm not talking about "trophy" hunting, but merely the large population of the world that quietly pays their fees and hunts their bounty in their own backyard or hunting lease.

I have been a hunter since a very young age. My husband is an avid hunter and my brother owns a hunting reserve. Just recently, my soon to be seven year old went on his first hog hunt (family tradition...honestly, hog hunting is like learning to go without training wheels for other families). I grew up this way, my kids grew up this way, and we tend to eat more venison and pork from the great outdoors than the piggy wiggly!

How does everyone view hunting? Do you or do you not hunt? Do you accept the rights of others to hunt?
Jives

Post by Jives »

I grew up in the wilderness of Montana and Colorado. I've been a fisherman, but never a hunter. Once, I shot a rabbit with my .22, the poor thing was in terrible pain, it was struggling with a broken spine. I put it out of it's misery, but the whole thing just made me sick.

I don't hold against hunters, from what I can tell they try very hard to take care of the wilderness. Although, of course I don't classify using high-powered rifles to annihilate the wildlife as exactly a "caring" attitude, but that's just semantics. They have done much for the wetlands.

There's just a "bloodthirstyness" that I don't have as a component of my personality. It makes it hard for me to understand them. I'd rather enjoy wildlife with a camera and let them live.

I also backpack rather than "RV". People that take their snowmobiles, quadrunners, RVs with satellite dishes out into the wilderness and purport to be "campers" make me laugh

. I love the wilderness. When I grew up, we would take great pride in the fact that after we left a camp, it was impossible to tell that humans had even been there. We cut the turf and replaced the divot over the ashes of the fire, we carried out all trash, we even fluffed the grass. That's how much we loved the land.

Things sure aren't that way anymore.

The area around my little town is a good example. First the Farmers shot all the Mountain lions, almost extincting them. Then the deer population went out of control, so we had to shoot all of them. During that time, the mountain lion population surged again. Now we are back to shooting all mountain lions in sight. A similar thing is happening to the prairie dogs. Coyotes, gone? Rabbits? gone.

It's all kind of a moot point anyway. I remember when I was young, the Pronghorn Antelope crossed the highways in herds of thousands... now only a few are left. Within this century all life other than human will be extincted by our overpopulation, wars, and pollution. The forests are disappearing, dozens of species a day are becoming extinct right now.

I kind of feel sorry for the hunters....soon there will be nothing left to hunt.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

personally the only wildlife i can kill is spiders, fire ants, poisonous snakes, jellyfish, nuisance alligators and the occasional drug dealer. :yh_ghost
Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

I grew up in rural Michigan, hunting and fishing were a normal part of life. The "hunting" was a year round process as you constantly learned about the game animals habits, you learned to respect them, and most importantly, to preserve their habitat. Hunters were natural conservationists, totally unlike the phoney bambibrains afflicting us today.

I was recently honored to enjoy a steak from my grandaughter's first Elk.:D
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
Beth

Post by Beth »

My dad is, I'm not. I had reconciled with hunting. He eats what he hunts. I accept that now. I honestly see it as more humane to to eat deer you've hunted then to eat a cow that was raised, crammed in a pen, not allowed to graze. At least the dear had a chance to roam and be free.
valerie

Post by valerie »

I don't hunt myself but my father has since my earliest memory, and my

brother-in-law in Idaho hunts and fishes. My family always had 2 freezers

when I was growing up, and the meat was a big part of our diet, and saved

on the grocery bill. Yes, my father enjoyed going out with the guys and

having a good time, but still, it was important to the family. I have eaten

deer, bear, elk, pheasant, duck, sage grouse and probably a couple of

others I have forgotten about... and loads of trout of various types, I

remember some summer meals nothing but trout and corn on the cob.

Sheer heaven.

I would like to see anyone who wants to hunt be able to continue. I

do think maybe they can work with the powers that be to more

closely regulate herd counts, etc., but I believe that it can happen.

And hey, Dixiespurgirl, you can ship me that deer roast whenever

you're ready!!

:yh_wink
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Oh boy, here we go again... :yh_bigsmi

Jives, could you please expand on the term "bloodthirsty"?

I am a hunter. I have been around it and done it my whole life. Mostly bow hunting, but occassionally rifle. There are misconceptions and stereotypes about hunters just like any other group. All the hunters I have known are conservationists. We truly care about preserving wildlife and the wilderness. The arguments for and against hunting can be repeated here yet again, and the anti-hunters will still think they are right, and the hunters will think they're the ones who are right. I am not bloodthirsty, I don't poach, I eat everything I kill, and I follow the laws governing hunting. I respect the wilderness, and the wildlife. Anyone who comes along spouting off about cruel treatment of deer and how hunters are a bunch of red-neck drunk gun-toting maniacs knows nothing of the sport. And yes, it IS a sport.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Dixiespurgirl

Post by Dixiespurgirl »

I have really enjoyed everyone's replies. I am glad that this community can openly talk about and yes...even disagree...in a nice tone.

I have hunted ever since I was TINY. Before that I helped on sheep farms and chicken houses (they are NASTY, but good money for a poor, rural family). Anyway, we had a ewe in labor that was obviously in too much pain and was not going to make it. Unfortunately, the lamb died while in the birthing canal and she would not make it through the procedure to get the lamb out of her. The inevitable had to happen. It was left up to me to use the only weapon I had (large pocket knife...very sharp, don't worry...I'm a tomboy and keep my knives in good condition) to dispatch this poor creature that was obviously dying as I watched. I raised her front leg and administered a heart jab...a quick death and I felt that was the friendliest thing I could do for her under the circumstances. Of course, since she was not ill...merely pregnant and unable to deliver...the meat would be quartered up.

I think that helped me with hunting. (More so than handing me a gun and telling me to sit in a tree stand and shoot the first deer to walk by). It taught me that LIFE is given by this animal and TAKEN by me. I have grown to be very conscious of this fact since that moment and even though I have taken many game in my day, I have neer forgotten the look in that ewe's eyes as she died. I believe it has helped me understand a lot about nature and how we should use the animals for our sustinance and not for a "trophy" or "something to shoot at".

My family eat what we take. Often (more than often actually, my living room is overflowing) we have the animal mounted. It's not to sickly exploit the animal, but to admire its beauty and remember that this creature was part of our lives in some way, shape, or form. So far, we have five deer, one bobcat, one wild russian boar (on the way), one grouse, and one black bear (Given to us by a friend of the family already mounted). In essence, they're part of the family. My son (whom is now hunting age) wanted to take a wild boar. Since his uncle has a hunting preserve, I let his uncle, father, and two seasoned guides take him on his first hunt. My only condition was that it would be a knife hunt...enlisting all the grown men to help catch the hog and let my son do a heart stick. I thought this would help him learn as I had learned. He came back from the hunt successful and uninjured (believe me, I did put safety first) and we enjoyed the first few pork chops from that hog the other night. He was proud to have put dinner on the table like his daddy and I even made him help process and bag the meat (father owns processing place...family affair isn't it? LOL). He told me about the hunt later and he said that when he was big enough to use a rifle he would always shoot for lungs or the heart to make a quick kill....I think he learned what I wanted him to. He is going to make a dandy future hunter and conservationist.

Wow, I have typed a book. I really hope everyone takes time to look at another's situation or viewpoint and truly understand where they come from. Some people have no need to hunt...I understand that. I, on the other hand, have it embedded so far into my blood that I can't NOT hunt. In this rural area with poverty stricken families, taking your limit of deer and quartering them up and sharing them with the community is rather rewarding too.

I hope you guys got something out of my novel :rolleyes:
Jives

Post by Jives »

BabyRider wrote: I kill.

I don't.
Jives

Post by Jives »

Dixiespurgirl wrote: I raised her front leg and administered a heart jab,... I have never forgotten the look in that ewe's eyes as she died. ...and let my son do a heart stick. ... always shoot for lungs or the heart ... my blood ... taking your limit of deer and quartering them up

That whole post made me woozy. Look, I'll defend your right to kill animals to the hilt, but no amount of arguing will make me like it or understand it. I'm just not hardwired that way.:(
Dixiespurgirl

Post by Dixiespurgirl »

Jives wrote: I don't.

Jives, you hold a very crucial part to the environment and its future. You are opting to preserve and hold nature in a way unlike many other people. Just because it is different than the way I view nature does not make it wrong, but just part of the puzzle that together makes humanity and its various ways of grasping a concept.

I commend you for your views and for your love of nature. I too like to camp and leave the site as if no one was there. My husband and myself spend MANY vacation days traveling to natural "wonders" or hiking trails to view indian caves. I like to sit down and envision all the things indians might have been doing if I were in their time instead of my own.

If you ever get to Pickett State Park in Tennessee, you should hike to the indian rock house. It is a true sight to behold!

One thing I like about nature is that you must have a wide enough mind to view it in its entirety without picking it apart. The majesty is found in small peices, put together and they form one huge, fascinating thing. This is much like people and their views....the whole picture is wonderful and made up of small things....pick apart the small things though and you forget the whole view. Much like the english language also....in its entirety it is a magical language with endless amounts of ways to express oneself....pick it apart and you lose your freedom within it.....so look at the entirety and don't pick it apart. You lose sight of the bigger picture when you focus on the kodak label ;) :D

I'm sorry if I made you woozy Jiles. I can only say that my post is made out of relevance to my life and how I have lived it and how my area and my family formed me into who I am today. I would love to hear about your life, other ways you enjoy nature...and I promise not to focus on words, but the message you give me :)
Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

Jives wrote: I don't.
Can we assume that you are a vegetarian? :yh_neutra
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Jives wrote: hardwired
...and bloodthirsty. Still waiting for you to expand... :yh_wait
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jives

Post by Jives »

Back at the turn of the century, there was a boy who once threw a rock at an owl in his barnyard. The rock struck the owl, killing it. The boy was so distraught over the death of the owl, that he vowed he would never again kill an animal. Moreover, he decided to dedicate his life and his talent to the drawing of intelligent, loveable animals to convince people to do the same.

His name was Walter....

Walter Disney.

I understand that man. Every time I see a deer, I do not see a meal on the hoof, but rather....

Bambi's father. :o
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Very touching, Jives, but it still doesn't explain the stereotypical comments of "bloodthirsty" and "hardwired." (No, I'm not going to let up on those.) To me, bloodthirsty denotes an almost lustful desire to kill something, anything...and hardwired implies (to me) that there's no feeling for the animal that I take. You do remember that I am Native American, right? Do you know anything about the ritual of killing an animal in this culture? It's set in a bit more reality than Walt Disney's cartoons.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jives

Post by Jives »

blood·thirst·y :*(bldthûrst)

adj.

Eager to shed blood.

Do not the previous posts by yourself show a certain eagerness for the hunt? I'm not judging you, merely commenting on the fact you seem to love hunting, whereas I abhor it. Certainly you didn't expect everyone in this thead to be pro-hunting did you?

Let's be straight, like I said before I do not look down on hunters, I do not hate hunting, I even understand the positions on hunting some of you have stated. I'll go so far as to personally defend your right to hunt ...

but it's not for me.

hard-wire (härdwr)

tr.v. hard-·wired, hard-·wir·ing, hard-·wires

To determine or put into effect by physiological or neurological mechanisms; make automatic or innate: “It may be that certain orders of anxiety are hard-wired in us” (Armand Schwerner).

In other words, my entire upbringing from a baby is the reverse of yours. I can no more learn to love hunting than you could learn to do without it permanently.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I never expect to find an entire group pro-ANYTHING. Or anti-anything. And yes, I do have an "eagerrness" to hunt. It's thrilling, difficult, rewarding, and part of my heritage. And I am not trying to turn you into a hunter. Or even change your opinion of hunting. I am trying to understand why you used certain terms to lump me into a group. Remember the stereotyping thread? And in the space of 3 sentences you said both: "I abhor hunting" and then "I do not hate hunting." Perhaps I am being a nitpick, (entirely possible).

I understand the definitions of each word that was used, but when used in conjunction to me personally, or a sport I take part in, it sounds derogatory, and insulting. I tend to jump all over anyone who has a narrow-minded view of all hunters, and buys into the incorrect assumption that we are all bloodthirsty and hardwired. It's not a personal attack at all. But if these things are said, then I'll push for clarification and justification.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jives

Post by Jives »

BabyRider wrote: And in the space of 3 sentences you said both: "I abhor hunting" and then "I do not hate hunting."

Whoops! You're right that should have said, "I do not hate "hunters".

I understand the definitions of each word that was used, but when used in conjunction to me personally, or a sport I take part in, it sounds derogatory, and insulting.

And yet neither definition is derogatory, it's only your perception of the word.

narrow-minded

Ok, now THAT's derogatory.

bloodthirsty

I thought you admitted you are eager for the hunt. Why would something you admit to insult you?

hardwired.

I said I was hardwired not to hunt, I never applied the term to you.

You seem to be getting defensive, as if I was attacking your lifestyle and sport. It's just not the way I was raised and I'll leave it at that. No one is right or wrong here.

(Jives has disenrolled from this thread.)
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

I used to hunt when I was a teenager but gave it up because I became a vegetarian for years, By the time I got back into meat (it was a good time to study and explore the need for meat) I wasn't into hunting anymore. Don't have a need for a rifle or gun so I don't hunt. If someone offered me a rifle to go hunting I would probably go hunting.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

kensloft wrote: If someone offered me a rifle to go hunting I would probably go hunting.I've got a few spares, Ken. Come on down!!

Jives, I don't know if you'll be reading this or not, but it seems silly to dump the subject when the debate is what it's all about. I'm not trying to sound defensive, just trying to understand your perception of hunters, hunting, and frankly, me. The subtlety that can be picked up in a face-to-face conversation is lost in this communication, and that is what makes it ocassionally frustrating.

As far as "narrow-minded" being derogatory, it was meant to be ironic. Stereotypical, again, that ALL anti-hunters are hunter-haters.

I never said anyone was wrong or right. The point of this is not to prove one or the other, but to learn and discuss.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

kensloft

Post by kensloft »

BabyRider wrote: I've got a few spares, Ken. Come on down!!

Jives, I don't know if you'll be reading this or not, but it seems silly to dump the subject when the debate is what it's all about. I'm not trying to sound defensive, just trying to understand your perception of hunters, hunting, and frankly, me. The subtlety that can be picked up in a face-to-face conversation is lost in this communication, and that is what makes it ocassionally frustrating.

As far as "narrow-minded" being derogatory, it was meant to be ironic. Stereotypical, again, that ALL anti-hunters are hunter-haters.

I never said anyone was wrong or right. The point of this is not to prove one or the other, but to learn and discuss.

If Jives doesn't want to go hunting that is his prerogative. Don't push him because we may need someone to dress our game.

However, I must decline your invitation because it would preclude plans that I already have. But not to worry because I extend the invitation that we go hunting for mountain goat as soon as I am settled in BC.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

BabyRider wrote: I've got a few spares, Ken. Come on down!!

If Jives doesn't want to go hunting that is his prerogative. Don't push him because we may need someone to dress our game.

However, I must decline your invitation because it would preclude plans that I already have. But not to worry because I extend the invitation that we go hunting for mountain goat as soon as I am settled in BC. :-4
Dixiespurgirl

Post by Dixiespurgirl »

Jives, whether you hunt or not doesn't make or break you as a "person" in my eyes. You seem very intelligent and compassionate...kudos for you to stand your ground.

I am glad I have found some other hunters on this forum, I feel that the hunting community (responsible, ADULT, hunting community) is on the decline and too many times we are looked at as irresponsible, redneck, drunk, angst ridden people.

I'm glad we all can talk about this and keep it civil. I am enjoying this new forum!
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Dixiespurgirl wrote: Jives, whether you hunt or not doesn't make or break you as a "person" in my eyes. You seem very intelligent and compassionate...kudos for you to stand your ground.

I am glad I have found some other hunters on this forum, I feel that the hunting community (responsible, ADULT, hunting community) is on the decline and too many times we are looked at as irresponsible, redneck, drunk, angst ridden people.

I'm glad we all can talk about this and keep it civil. I am enjoying this new forum!
Is this where I jump in and start calling Jives all sorts of names describing his manhood or lack of manhood. Let me know when to pop in 'cause I'll give 'em what for! :D
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Dixiespurgirl wrote: ...too many times we are looked at as irresponsible, redneck, drunk, angst ridden people.I'm not sure about "too many times"...I mean, how many times is ok? :D

Still, there are a great many who fit the "redneck" stereotype who hunt. They "fit" the stereotype because they are poor, not extremely cultured, and they hunt to live...as opposed to those who live to hunt (the despised trophy hunter as depicted by Hollywood films). Anyway, that is often good enough for some people to start labeling, judging, accusing, and deciding. Heaven forbid we think twice, eh? (sad grin)

People argue hunting/fishing here as well. My response? I usually shrug and say, "So the guy is poor. Can't afford to pay $10 at the grocery store for a fish, so he gets his own instead. Feeds his family. Would you rather he be on food stamps?" That usually closes the conversation.

I know that not all people who hunt and fish are poor, but sometimes I'm more successful getting a point across by using the stereotypes others subscribe to than I am in trying to erase those labels.

I love love love the comment made about animals who are allowed to live free as opposed to our production line meat industry. :)

To answer the question - my hunting consists of finding grocery stores that sell organic foods and free-range meat. I prefer to not hunt myself. But, if I was hungry enough, I'd do it.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
commie_kalafornian

Post by commie_kalafornian »

Jives wrote: Back at the turn of the century, there was a boy who once threw a rock at an owl in his barnyard. The rock struck the owl, killing it. The boy was so distraught over the death of the owl, that he vowed he would never again kill an animal. Moreover, he decided to dedicate his life and his talent to the drawing of intelligent, loveable animals to convince people to do the same.

His name was Walter....

Walter Disney.

I understand that man. Every time I see a deer, I do not see a meal on the hoof, but rather....

Bambi's father. :o

If there is an over population for that year, I see a nusiance.

If there is an infection in the herd, I see a threat to the health of other animals.

If there is a lean year, I see starving animal in distress, taking resources from other animals also struggling to stay alive.

I see Bambi at the petting zoo, not in the woods.
Tan

Post by Tan »

I love fishing and I like hunting...partridge. There fun to clean and delicious.
Tan
Xxena

Post by Xxena »

lady cop wrote: personally the only wildlife i can kill is spiders, fire ants, poisonous snakes, jellyfish, nuisance alligators and the occasional drug dealer. :yh_ghost

With the unchecked population grow, the drug dealers and child molesters should have a 12 month open season with no limit on them... that's 2 herds that desparately need to be culled !:mad:

The difference between Congress as envisoned by the Founding Fathers and the Congress we have today is one of them inspires patriots to support it, and the other inspires patriots to buy extra ammo (Angel Shamaya):lips:
Xxena

Post by Xxena »

lady cop wrote: personally the only wildlife i can kill is spiders, fire ants, poisonous snakes, jellyfish, nuisance alligators and the occasional drug dealer. :yh_ghost

With the unchecked population growth, the drug dealers and child molesters should have a 12 month open season with no limit on them... that's 2 herds that desparately need to be culled !:mad:

The difference between Congress as envisoned by the Founding Fathers and the Congress we have today is one of them inspires patriots to support it, and the other inspires patriots to buy extra ammo (Angel Shamaya):lips:
Xxena

Post by Xxena »

I actively fish with husband, but only go along for the time outside with him when hunting. I have no problems with hunting and we eat more fresh fish we catch and game than processed store food, but my son in law hunts, another friend of ours hunts and HATES game meat (don't ask) and we have friends that are ranchers in SD who take a lot of deer in the fall as well as they have a herd of wild free range elk so we get a bit of that also each year. If it means putting food on the table... yes I would no doubt not have a problem with it. But for now, for me its just some much needed time off with husband as far from The Socialist State of Illinois and Crook county/Chicago as far away as we can get for sake of saving our souls in this pit of insanity. We do not take what we won't eat and that goes for fish as well, we probably do more catch and release than anything.

The only problem I have with hunting is the same I have with fishing.. the yuppie wanna be so-called sportsmen in their expensive gear, usually with the tags still on from LL BEAN or Bass Pro that are out there to look impressive and haven't got a clue what they're doing or really why and they don't know how to stalk and shoot or fish areas for the local fish... they just horde and leave a trail of mess and destruction in their path. They're too busy trying to impress everyone with their expensive gear that they forget to learn how to use their firearms or their fishing gear, don't read the rules and regs and haven't a clue about conservation or a clean kill when it comes to hunting. They put down the locals in the small areas not realizing that hunting is often their MEAT on the table for the Autumn through spring and what they take in fish they keep for future meals as well.

I have a big problem with "canned hunts" and trophy only hunters.

Solodoe

Post by Solodoe »

HI,

I have hunted since a kid with my Dad and two brothers. I recently started bow hunting two yrs ago. Have not done much of it though since I broke up with the ex who taught me and also since my Dad died last October.

I have hunted deer, turkey, squirrels (not much skill needed), partridge.

I did do some muzzleloader hunting also.

I am pretty much for now only interested in rifle, pistol and bow target shooting, who knows..if I someday meet the right one I may hunt again.:rolleyes:

Attached files
valerie

Post by valerie »

Good for you!! I like your pic!!

Just wait 'till our Baby Rider sees your post... you two can have

some good talks!!

Welcome to FG!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Solodoe, is that a compound bow? I used to know someone who used one for target practice....very, very interesting. I learned a little about it and enjoyed the challenge.

If you know me, (zoo person) you can guess I'm not a hunting fan. My belief is that we no longer need to hunt for food and we certainly don't need to "cull" animals, although I've eaten wild-shot pheasant and wouldn't mind eating it again.

Shooting as a sport is fine and I think it can be done without killing an animal.

JMHO.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i used to go spear fishing i used to really enjoy that although i do eat meat i'd have great trouble killing and eating live furry animals , actually i'd have trouble killing anything except wasps i do hate them even though they kill and eat loads of pests :thinking:

all in all i sound like a pretty wimpy individual don't i
Solodoe

Post by Solodoe »

LuLu2,

yes it's a Hoyt compound bow. I very much enjoy just target shooting with it. I have softened over the yrs (in more ways than one), hee hee...and do not enjoy killing animals anymore. I never did hunt for the enjoyment of killing.

Deb in VT:cool:
Solodoe

Post by Solodoe »

Snooze,

Sigourney Weaver? If that was meant for me...I am very flattered. Loved her in Alien.

Deb in VT:-6

Attached files
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Lulu2 wrote: Solodoe, is that a compound bow? I used to know someone who used one for target practice....very, very interesting. I learned a little about it and enjoyed the challenge.

If you know me, (zoo person) you can guess I'm not a hunting fan. My belief is that we no longer need to hunt for food and we certainly don't need to "cull" animals, although I've eaten wild-shot pheasant and wouldn't mind eating it again.

Shooting as a sport is fine and I think it can be done without killing an animal.

JMHO.

I, too, used to think that hunting was barbaric and unnecessary. Then I spent a couple of years in Utah and watched dozens of deer die of starvation in the Rocky Mt. one winter. Somehow, I would imagine that being shot would be a much quicker and more humane way to die then to starve to death.
Sandi

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

SnoozeControl wrote: Yep, you're a dead ringer for Ripley in that movie. ;)

who am i a dead ringer for then snoozie???

this should be good
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
fisher

Post by fisher »

I have been hunting since I was 16 years old.Deer hunting starts in about two weeks here and a bunch of us stay at a hunting camp about a hours ride in on a ATV.Something I look forward to every year.
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

LILAC "I, too, used to think that hunting was barbaric and unnecessary. Then I spent a couple of years in Utah and watched dozens of deer die of starvation in the Rocky Mt. one winter. Somehow, I would imagine that being shot would be a much quicker and more humane way to die then to starve to death."

+++++++++++++ Consider this, please. If ranchers hadn't killed all the predators, the deer population would be managed naturally. What happens to one species impacts us all. We are the ONLY species which deliberately sets out to destroy our "competition," which is why we're such a scourge on the planet.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Lulu2 wrote: +++++++++++++ Consider this, please. If ranchers hadn't killed all the predators, the deer population would be managed naturally. What happens to one species impacts us all. We are the ONLY species which deliberately sets out to destroy our "competition," which is why we're such a scourge on the planet.

Well - the predators aren't there anymore and the deer are starving to death.

Yep, we may well be the scourge of the earth but it is what it is and whining about it isn't going to change that which is past.
Sandi

Solodoe

Post by Solodoe »

Gee Fisher...

that is like saying why did God give women legs...so she wouldn't leave snail trails....ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Deb in VT:D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

LILAC " it is what it is and whining about it isn't going to change that which is past."

Why, thank you, Lilac. I certainly wasn't aware that I was "whining!"

I was pointing out why the "problem" exists. Animals starve in the wild for many reasons and in many areas. Nature is very good at regulating reproduction and the animals remaining will, in fact, slow their cycles or even abandon them.

Frankly, they don't need our interference to regulate populations, given space and time.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Diuretic, human females will cease menstrual cycles if a certain percentage of body fat is lost, just like kangaroos! Interesting phenomenum, isn't it?

Of course, domestic animals are "managed" in ways that differ from a wild population. Large numbers of wild animals often die off in droughts and fires. They feed the carrion-eaters and go immediately back into the natural food chain.
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

I'm a vegatarian and do not hunt..I have no objection to people hunting or eating animals as long as it done as humanely as possible...
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Return to “Gun Control”