Truck terror

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
Clint

Truck terror

Post by Clint »

There I am, cruising down the interstate. The distance between me and a truck in front of me closes so I slow down to match his speed at a safe distance. I look in my rear view mirror and there's another big rig right on my tail. I look to my left for an escape and there's a third big rig blocking my escape. They aren't intentionally trying to harm me, they are just there and I begin to tremble. I know it's likely one of them doesn't speak english but got his comercial driver's license anyway. I know one of them has been driving way too long and may nod off and drift out of his lane at any time. And I can be pretty sure one has a problem with uncontrolable rage. The equipment they are operating may be licensed in Mexico and the brakes may work properly...then again they may not. I can see one has tires that have gone way beyond their intended life and the truck in front of me doesn't have operating brake lights. I'm probably as close to death as I was when I was in combat.

They roll down the highway with 100,000 pound rigs at speeds beyond their control along with other vehicles that weigh less than one of their tires. They have to be randomly tested for drugs along with airline pilots and train engineers but most will argue they are being put upon because the have to. They are engaged in an extremely dangerous occupation with tremendous responsibilty yet they are being paid poorly and the are far from professional and responsible. The responsible, professionals used to be truck drivers but they were smart enough to be scared to death of what they were doing and moved on to other occupations.

If you think this is an exaggeration you probably enjoy your commute a lot better than I do. I know too much.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Patsy Warnick

Truck terror

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Those big trucks scare the heck out of me, whether I'm driving or I'm a passenger.

I'll tell my husband - please get past this truck as I'm gripping the door, I'm very tense around them. Too many horror stories involving these trucks.

My husband and I came very close to death with one, I'll never forget the look on the driver's face during that incident, I cried and peed myself.

Everyone should be nervous around these big rigs.

Patsy
cars

Truck terror

Post by cars »

Clint wrote: There I am, cruising down the interstate. The distance between me and a truck in front of me closes so I slow down to match his speed at a safe distance. I look in my rear view mirror and there's another big rig right on my tail. I look to my left for an escape and there's a third big rig blocking my escape. They aren't intentionally trying to harm me, they are just there and I begin to tremble. I know it's likely one of them doesn't speak english but got his comercial driver's license anyway. I know one of them has been driving way too long and may nod off and drift out of his lane at any time. And I can be pretty sure one has a problem with uncontrolable rage. The equipment they are operating may be licensed in Mexico and the brakes may work properly...then again they may not. I can see one has tires that have gone way beyond their intended life and the truck in front of me doesn't have operating brake lights. I'm probably as close to death as I was when I was in combat.

They roll down the highway with 100,000 pound rigs at speeds beyond their control along with other vehicles that weigh less than one of their tires. They have to be randomly tested for drugs along with airline pilots and train engineers but most will argue they are being put upon because the have to. They are engaged in an extremely dangerous occupation with tremendous responsibilty yet they are being paid poorly and the are far from professional and responsible. The responsible, professionals used to be truck drivers but they were smart enough to be scared to death of what they were doing and moved on to other occupations.

If you think this is an exaggeration you probably enjoy your commute a lot better than I do. I know too much.

Right clint, I hate when truckers try to intimidate a car on the road, (and many do) by doing just what you said. Whenever I find some dufus right on my tail, be it a truck or even another car, I gradually start to slow down and leave even more safe "stopping" distance (allowing additional distance for the dufus also ) between me and the vehicle in front of me. If I start to go too slow, they usually eventually pass.:rolleyes:
Cars :)
Clint

Truck terror

Post by Clint »

cars wrote: Right clint, I hate when truckers try to intimidate a car on the road, (and many do) by doing just what you said. Whenever I find some dufus right on my tail, be it a truck or even another car, I gradually start to slow down and leave even more safe "stopping" distance (allowing additional distance for the dufus also ) between me and the vehicle in front of me. If I start to go too slow, they usually eventually pass.:rolleyes:
Yup, that's the way to make an opening. Knowing the rage some of these guys carry around I think as soon as there's a large enough opening you hit the gas and use the opening to get away. I just don't trust em.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
valerie

Truck terror

Post by valerie »

What really scares me is those big ol' tires and rims that can blow at

amost any given moment... no idea what the tire pressure is on those

things but EEK!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Patsy Warnick

Truck terror

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Clint, and Kathy Ellen,

I agree with both of you. Sometimes when we travel - thinking different times of the day or night would make a difference - wrong. Nothing's worse than traveling and being boxed in by those trucks. I'll watch my husband look in his mirrors, and there's a truck on his tail. Most are curtious, but ??

Inspections are random, we have too many wrecks weekly involving these trucks.

Our real problem is our highways can not adapt to all the growth - traffic is terrible everywhere, the highways go from 4 lanes to 2 lanes and the trucks own the road, and scare the heck out of everyone.

Patsy
Uncle Kram

Truck terror

Post by Uncle Kram »

When anyone tailgates me they can expect to be slowing down to 20mph. If they wanna be up my arse that badly, the very least I expect is a kiss first.:rolleyes:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Ocnbrz

Truck terror

Post by Ocnbrz »

In my lifetime I have operated all kinds of equipment, including big rigs. In years past many were operated by professional drivers. I wish that were still the case today. Many are paid by the mile, if the truck isn't moving they aren't making any money. The hours are long and the pay stinks. They are constantly being pushed to cover more distance, to move more product in less time. For the independents the cost of fuel and tires alone can drive them out of business. Many are away from home for weeks at a time. Companies cut corners on vehicle maintenance. Yes, the govt. conducts safety inspections of the vehicle and driver but they aren't going to catch all the problems. It's a hard occupation to attract good people to. Long hours, low pay, bad weather, bad drivers, it all adds up to trouble. We have all had our sleepless nights. Imagine that in a rig next to you weighing 100,000 lbs and traveling 60+ miles an hour. Their not going to stop on a dime!

While there are plenty of "bad" truck drivers there is no shortage of "bad" auto drivers either. Aggressive drivers, no matter what they drive are a hazzard to everyone! More than one truck accident was caused by someone in a car that didn't give that truck enough room ... or time to stop, slow down etc.

Be aware that on most highways trucks are restricted to the right two lanes. Don't hang out in their blind spots, Right behind the cabs doors is a spot that is very difficult for a truck driver to see. In Clint's example he was stuck till he could get around them. Having been behind the wheel of both kinds of vehicles I won't ride next to a truck if at all possible. As soon as I can pull away from them I do! Another reason to stay clear of them. Many trucks run recap tires on everything but the steering tires.If the air pressure isn't maintained at a proper level the tire can overheat and will pop. Hence the strips of tire rubber alongside many interstates.

Bottom line is everything we buy was brought to the store by a truck. We are going to have to live with them. The main thing is give them plenty of room. Many of us have cell phones now, if a truck driver is being unsafe report him! But above all watch out for yourself. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
Patsy Warnick

Truck terror

Post by Patsy Warnick »

OCN

I totally agree with you - my brother use to drives truck from state to state, and enjoyed it at the time.

Common courtesy on the road is gone.

Patsy
Sheryl

Truck terror

Post by Sheryl »

ughh we had a pick-up ran over by a truck on the edge of town yesterday. Luckily no one was seriously hurt.

I don't like trucks or other cars around me when I'm driving on the highway. I'm stingy with my space. I want atleast 3 car lengths between me and the car in front or back back of me. Thank goodness I live hear where traffic is so-so cause I'd have a panic attack if I had to drive in L.A. or somewhere like that. :-2
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Clint

Truck terror

Post by Clint »

In the U.S. there is a push to make the railroad more effective. I think that would be a huge step in the right direction. The long haul truckers are the ones that seem to be abused the most so they are also the ones with the problems. The railroad could reduce that problem a lot. All the RR has to do is cleanse itself of arrogance and have a fesh look at the opportunities.
Ocnbrz

Truck terror

Post by Ocnbrz »

Clint wrote: In the U.S. there is a push to make the railroad more effective. I think that would be a huge step in the right direction. The long haul truckers are the ones that seem to be abused the most so they are also the ones with the problems. The railroad could reduce that problem a lot. All the RR has to do is cleanse itself of arrogance and have a fesh look at the opportunities.

A great thought Clint. Would be nice if it could happen. With fuel prices so high it is more economical to move goods by rail. At least then the trucks are making a shorter haul. As for the arrogance, that's not likely to change anytime soon. They are in a position of power so they do as they please for the most part.

Patsy, I agree with you. In our ever busy day to day worlds we have lost something quite valuable. Common courtesy. We don't have time to be "nice", anymore and the sad part is we do it to ourselves.

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
Bill Sikes

Truck terror

Post by Bill Sikes »

valerie wrote: What really scares me is those big ol' tires and rims that can blow at

amost any given moment... no idea what the tire pressure is on those

things but EEK!!

Hah. I had that happen when I was on my bike, waiting at a level crossing,

just pulled up abreast of a big lorry, waiting for the gates to open. Just

ticking over, waiting to give it a squirt and disappear. BAM! Big cloud of dust

and stuff. I nearly *did* squirt. Kinell.
Bill Sikes

Truck terror

Post by Bill Sikes »

Originally Posted by cars

Right clint, I hate when truckers try to intimidate a car on the road, (and many do) by doing just what you said. Whenever I find some dufus right on my tail, be it a truck or even another car, I gradually start to slow down and leave even more safe "stopping" distance (allowing additional distance for the dufus also ) between me and the vehicle in front of me. If I start to go too slow, they usually eventually pass.

Clint wrote: Yup, that's the way to make an opening. Knowing the rage some of these guys carry around I think as soon as there's a large enough opening you hit the gas and use the opening to get away. I just don't trust em.

Unfortunately, that sometimes causes an outburst of rage. I did this driving

tonight, because the following (car) driver had maladjusted lights, and it was

irritating. Eventually he overtook, and pssd off into the distance - about 50

MPH in a 30 limit! Not sure what the answer is. Throw nails out of the

"sunshine roof"?

Return to “General Chit Chat”