'Vaccinate 11-year-olds against sex virus'

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

From "The Daily Telegraph":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... cancer.xml

"Girls as young as 11 should receive compulsory vaccinations against a sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, according to an influential medical journal.

The Lancet published an editorial calling for compulsory jabs for 11- and 12-year-olds despite fears that they could encourage under-age sex."

Apparently this is already done in the 'States, in Mitchigan.

"The Lancet said Europe should take its lead from the US state of Michigan, which passed a bill on Sept 21 ruling that all 11 to 12-year-old girls must be immunised."

There are also calls for boys to be immunised too.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

I COMPLETELY AGREE that this immunization should be given. We are talking about a preventative for CANCER, Cervical CAncer is aweful. You cant have children with this type of cancer. And if the kids are brought up right and have a role model to teach them about sex, we shouldnt worry about this little shot encourageing them. There are far bigger things out there that should scare the begeesus out of kids: like AIDS, ABORTION, etc...

HBIC
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Kids get shots all of the time - do I explain to them what they are for? NO.

It is pretty simple as far as my kids are concerned - you can't go to school without this shot. End of discussion.

If the administration of a shot makes your 12 year old daughter think that she is now free to go out and have sex then your family has some issues that really should be addressed.

My oldest daughter started carrying condoms in her purse when she started dating. I bought them for her. She didn't use them before she left for college. I explained to her when I gave them to her that I didn't approve of her having sex at 16 but if it was something she felt she had to do I wanted her to be somewhat protected from any diseases that might kill her.
Sandi

koan

Post by koan »

Vaccinations are generally a good thing. Don't know about England but there are a few people in Canada that don't vaccinate their kids at all. They have some problems with the school system but it is usually the same people who opt to homeschool. I don't see how a vaccination can be compulsory when the others aren't but this one sounds like it should be included in the ones offered for those who immunize.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This is one Vaccination that just might save their life. I don't know how you is the cut off age but every female below the age of 65 should get the Vaccination in my opioion.:cool:

Now we need a Vaccintion for Breast Cancer..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

In my profession, I give immunizations to kids every day. We are very excited about the immunization to prevent HPV in girls & possibly in the future, for boys too.

Yes, we have people in the U.S. who refuse to immunize their kids.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Vaccinations are compulsory here in California, and this is just another one. With the influx of illegal immigrants, we've seen a rise in childhood diseases, adult diseases such as tb and STDs, too. Vaccinations save lives.

I realize there are religious objections from a few, but if everyone else is vaccinated, it's a LOT safer!

How lucky we are to have this new vaccine! And how petty and short-sighted are those who would deny it to young women on a "morals" clause!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
koan

Post by koan »

It's not always a religious objection. Some kids have died after routine vaccinations. It was a natural health movement.
weber

Post by weber »

It might be a good idea to vaccinate them against sex instead of sex virus.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Some kids have died after routine vaccinations.

Some kids have died crossing the street. Yet we still drive cars.

There are a million and one way that a child can die every single day of the week. As a society we need to stop living our lives in fear of what "could be".

I have a daughter that won't put bird seed in a bird feeder because she is afraid she might get bird flu for goodness sake!!
Sandi

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

LilacDragon wrote: Kids get shots all of the time - do I explain to them what they are for? NO.

It is pretty simple as far as my kids are concerned - you can't go to school without this shot. End of discussion.

If the administration of a shot makes your 12 year old daughter think that she is now free to go out and have sex then your family has some issues that really should be addressed.

My oldest daughter started carrying condoms in her purse when she started dating. I bought them for her. She didn't use them before she left for college. I explained to her when I gave them to her that I didn't approve of her having sex at 16 but if it was something she felt she had to do I wanted her to be somewhat protected from any diseases that might kill her.

I like the way you think :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Squid

Post by Squid »

I think this vaccine is great. They offer it in Sweden as well.

I just wish it'd been available before I became sexually active.

Return to “Women's Health”