thyroidism

cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

I have some symptoms of thyroidism , my goiter is enlarged, tired and a bunch of other symptoms. Iam going to go to the doctor today. Iam a big chicken. Just wondering if anyone has thyroidism and if they had any incouraging words.....???
Patsy Warnick

thyroidism

Post by Patsy Warnick »

When the thyroid malfunctions it can cause a goiter, which a swelling of the thyroid. Normally this is controlled with medication.

My thyroid went crazy when I was thrown into menapause. Very often women going thru menapause need to have their thyroid checked - due to the weight gain that will accompany menapause. I was very tired - lethargic. I'm on medication

Don't let this scare you - very few Doctor's will remove the thyroid - it's a very important gland - that regulates alot. So try medication which will take some time to regulate as far as proper dose.

Are you having difficulty swallowing - constant cough - or having to clear your throat? Hair loss ? just curious

Thyroidism also will run in the family. My grandmother had her thyroid removed.

Patsy
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

Patsy Warnick wrote: When the thyroid malfunctions it can cause a goiter, which a swelling of the thyroid. Normally this is controlled with medication.

My thyroid went crazy when I was thrown into menapause. Very often women going thru menapause need to have their thyroid checked - due to the weight again that will accompany menapause. I was very tired - lethargic. I'm on medication

Don't let this scare you - very few Doctor's will remove the thyroid - it's a very important gland - that regulates alot. So try medication which will take some time to regulate as far as proper dose.

Are you having difficulty swallowing - constant cough - or having to clear your throat? just curious

Thyroidism also will run in the family. My grandmother had her thyroid removed.

Patsy
iam sometimes out of breath.. i do have asthma though, so it could be either.

No one has it inmy family that i know of.My neck feels stiff kind of also.
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

also my left side of my neck seems to be bigger...
Patsy Warnick

thyroidism

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Look up thyroidism on the computer - perhaps that will ease your worry.

I was very tired and I had alot of hair loss - a unusual amount of hair loss.

Good luck at the DR's - let us know the out come.

Patsy
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

thank you! I will let you know.:-6 :-6
chonsigirl

thyroidism

Post by chonsigirl »

My husband has thyroid problems, and they have started to stabilize it. Let us know what the doctor says.

Good luck.:)
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

well i went and it is a goiter. He told me to get blood work done, then call a sergen!! So i asked him if i could just take pills and he said it depends on what the tests say.... so iam a little freaked out....
chonsigirl

thyroidism

Post by chonsigirl »

Wait until the blood tests come back, then go back to your doctor for a checkup to see what your options are. Always get a second opinion when surgery is mentioned.
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

yeah i am going to .. that doctor seemed to quick to say , get blood test then call a sergen... guess i will have to wait and see what happens :-6
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

did you husband have and enlarged goiter?what were his symptoms?
Patsy Warnick

thyroidism

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Cindy

Don't get freaked out, everything will be ok. Educate yourself on thyroid/goiters.

It's the unknown that scares you. Goiter just means your thyroid is enlarged - swollen.

Remember we are here to support you. I would also get a second opinion.

Please notify us on the diagnosis.

Patsy
chonsigirl

thyroidism

Post by chonsigirl »

My husband had hyperthyroidism-one side was enlarged. For him, he lost 1 pound a week, until he was very skinny. They gave him a radioactive pill to slow down thyroid production, so he is a little on the low side now. He just takes synthetic throid pills. And he put back some of the weight and is doing better with that problem.
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

so i dont have thyroidism at all ..... but i have to get a altrasound on my goiter... but iam pregnant..lol
Patsy Warnick

thyroidism

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Good News - Congratulations !!!

Patsy
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

thank you:):-6
rainbowsmiles

thyroidism

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Congratulations Cindy on your pregnancy! I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after a pregnancy test turned positive. I'm 5 months now. I'm being treated for hypothyroid and my glands in my neck are slightly swollen. I feel your anxiety about this - it isn't any fun.

Your neck could return to normal after you give birth - that is what my endocronologist told me. Actually he said that it is "often the case." Apparently pregnancy causes the thyroid to "malfunction" so to speak and once your no longer pregnant it generally goes back to normal.
cindy28

thyroidism

Post by cindy28 »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Congratulations Cindy on your pregnancy! I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after a pregnancy test turned positive. I'm 5 months now. I'm being treated for hypothyroid and my glands in my neck are slightly swollen. I feel your anxiety about this - it isn't any fun.

Your neck could return to normal after you give birth - that is what my endocronologist told me. Actually he said that it is "often the case." Apparently pregnancy causes the thyroid to "malfunction" so to speak and once your no longer pregnant it generally goes back to normal.

That is good to know. I really dont want to have sergery.Congraduations too.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”