Peninsular War

Tombstone

Peninsular War

Post by Tombstone »

Goober wrote: Anyone else interested in this?

Do you mean the Peninsular War of the early 1800's?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
gmc

Peninsular War

Post by gmc »

You mean there was another one?
Bothwell

Peninsular War

Post by Bothwell »

I know a little bit and it is an interesting period but I have not really studied it, any period when the Great Wellington cut his teeth has got to be good.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Tombstone

Peninsular War

Post by Tombstone »

To tell you the truth, haven't thought about it much since college! :)

What particular aspects of the war interests you? I'm interested in your interest.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
gmc

Peninsular War

Post by gmc »

posted by Bothwell

I know a little bit and it is an interesting period but I have not really studied it, any period when the Great Wellington cut his teeth has got to be good.

Actually Wellington cut his teeth as it were in India fighting agianst Tipoo Sultan. When he got to Spain he was not a novice. It was always the naval history that fascinated me. That was the service where ability could get you promoted rather than just having enough money to buy a commission. Nelson was a curates son, in the army he would not have had enough money to get very far.

Hey tombstone a couple of links for you

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~rifles95/rifle.htm

http://www.silverwhistle.co.uk/lobsters/ferguson.html

Ferguson's Corps performed well in the battle, fighting alongside the Queen's Rangers, under James Wemyss. Pattie had the chance to pick off a important-looking Rebel officer, but declined to do so for reasons of honour. He was later told in hospital that the officer may have been Washington, but this cannot be proven with certainty. (Knowing the sense of humour some medics have, it may have been a wind-up...) Pattie, at any rate, believed it was, and wrote, "I am not Sorry that I did not know all the time who it was". There were graver matters on his mind.

Moments after the alleged encounter with Washington, a musket ball shattered Pattie's right elbow-joint. He spent the winter in Philadelphia, under threat of amputation. He endured numerous unanaesthetised operations to remove bone splinters which repeatedly broke open his wounds. In November, he also received news of his father's death in June. Yet in letters home, he bravely made jokes about his operations.

Now if he had not been such a gentle man! Read the second link I thought it might be of interest to you.

Return to “History”