Fired for smoking

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
A Karenina

Fired for smoking

Post by A Karenina »

This story is being hotly debated among coworkers at my company. What do you think? Should this be legal?

Article link.

What about alcohol, non-exercise, bad diets, etc?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Der Wulf

Fired for smoking

Post by Der Wulf »

A Karenina wrote: This story is being hotly debated among coworkers at my company. What do you think? Should this be legal?

Article link.

What about alcohol, non-exercise, bad diets, etc?
IMO, this is well over the slippery slope. Smoking is legal. Smokers were targeted because the owner believes they detrementally effect his bottom line, maybe tomorrow he will be of the opinion that celebates are more productive workers. To what extent should he be allowed to go in determining your in home behavior.

I saw an interview with this joyless little weasel, he'd make a very good scrooge? Sorry, give me liberty, or give him pain :-5
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
valerie

Fired for smoking

Post by valerie »

This is a real toughie, and one of those "slippery slope" deals.

I feel for the woman in the article who wasn't on the comapny's ins.

but I can understand an employer's need to try and keep down costs

and co-worker's desire not to have to "pay" for her smoking. Smoking

causes so many health problems.

It's sort of like the people with kids, a few years back a co-worker had

to leave because her little boy was sick, in the middle of THE worst

deadline crunch you ever saw, involving massive amounts of time and

late nights and heartache for a bunch of other people. Because of her

decision to have a baby. There was an awful lot of understandable (to

me) grumbling over it and the issue never was resolved. And this at a

company that had articles written about it for innovation in on-site

day care, etc.

And then the union health insurance plan where I worked had huge

(Couple million dollar's worth) losses for the hospitalization of a

co-worker, resulting in raising everyone's contributions and co-pays,

etc. That co-worker had full-blown AIDS.

So, I dunno. I do think that a company should have "grandfathered

in" the employees already there who did smoke and couldn't quit.

Maybe make very clear to employees just coming in that there was

a "no smoking" policy. Still, what are these people gonna do? Set up

Web cams in everyone's home to make sure there's no smoking going

on? Test for blood nicotine levels? Too big brother for me.

:yh_questn
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

rachelg

Fired for smoking

Post by rachelg »

As much as I hate cigarettes, I have to say it was wrong in my opinion to fire someone because they couldn't quit. I was curious how they knew they were smoking still yet anyway; did they send out spies? It does make insurance higher and it does seem like some of the smokers I know are the ones out sick more, but I don't think it's true in every case. A small company I worked for in the 80's had an employee involved in a serious car crash. He did survive, but was in the hospital for months and was left an invalid. The insurance co. we had went way up in cost and during the rest of the time I worked there, no insurance company was as reasonably priced as the original we'd had. So, you can't predict what things will go wrong. It would be like no one could do anything, smoke, drink, eat fast food, drive, exercise excessively..... :-2
capt_buzzard

Fired for smoking

Post by capt_buzzard »

What about the Old folks nursing homes ect.
BabyRider

Fired for smoking

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote: Smoking

causes so many health problems.

Yep, it does. So does lack of exercise, over eating, alcohol, sex, using cell phones, sitting in front of a computer too long, inactivity, video games, improper diet, lack of sleep...

Am I getting through? :-5

You're absolutely right, Val...big brother is watching! A future step IS cameras in homes if laws like these are put in place.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

rachelg

Fired for smoking

Post by rachelg »

BabyRider wrote:

You're absolutely right, Val...big brother is watching! A future step IS cameras in homes if laws like these are put in place.

Oh no! I'd have to clean house

:rolleyes:
BabyRider

Fired for smoking

Post by BabyRider »

rachelg wrote: Oh no! I'd have to clean house

:rolleyes:
:yh_rotfl

SEE??!!!?!?!? It's just a bad idea all the way 'round!!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

A Karenina

Fired for smoking

Post by A Karenina »

I'm thinking this sets a dangerous precedent. I'm not comfortable with a company being able to control your decisions outside of work - perfectly legal decisions, these people weren't smoking pot.

I would completely support the decision to not allow smoking at work. I'd also support company supported programs to help people get healthier. In fact, my company offers fun physical fitness games all the time with tacky little prizes - though we all play anyway, LOL. It does not offer a smoking cessation program at this time. It has taken control of the cafeteria and will be offering healthy meals at lower costs starting next month.

There's a difference between promoting good health, and controlling people. Call me a rebel ~ but I'm just not into my boss controlling my personal life...what's next? People's sex life? Ugh!!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
smithy87

Fired for smoking

Post by smithy87 »

I apologise for being clueless on this story but as you can appreciate I'm a whole continent away from you guys - but how the hell did the Company find out they were smoking at home? And secondly, as long as they are abiding by company rules during work hours, what does it matter what they are doing at home?

Is privacy becoming a thing of the past? :-1
Jives

Fired for smoking

Post by Jives »

A Karenina wrote: I'm thinking this sets a dangerous precedent. I'm not comfortable with a company being able to control your decisions outside of work - perfectly legal decisions, these people weren't smoking pot.

It's interesting that you guys would bring this up. At my school, since it's an alternative high school, smoking has always been kind of a "dirty secret".

Since no smoking is allowed on campus, the kids just walk off the dirt end of our parking lot and smoke anyway. Since they are now technically "off campus" we can't say a thing about it.

(and since they are all addicted, it would probably cause a "mutiny on the Bounty" if we did)

It saddens me, though, to see all those children smoking. In my mind's eye I see nothing but a graveyard with tall stones. My wife is a smoker, and she's tried everything to quit...the patch, pills, gum, even hypnosis! But she can't stop. She cries herself to sleep sometimes she wants to quit so bad. (She long ago quit smoking in the house, though, right after the research on second hand smoke came out.)

Anyway, we just got a new Superintendent and I found out today that she told one of our teachers (who smokes outside the back door of the school) that he can no longer smoke on campus. If he does, she will fire him. (This is actually a state law, since a school is state property.)

He asked if he could smoke where the kids smoke and she told him no. (I don't get that part, unless she's considering it a bad role model-thing) So he's pretty much up the creek.

Sooo anyway...I'm flat out against legislating against anything done in the home that's legal. Without our homes, what real freedom do we have? This whole thing seems to make a mockery of the very word "freedom" in my opinion. Moreover, this is the very erosion of freedom that anti-PATRIOT act people are afraid of. Anyone who's read "1984" is afraid of the "television that watches you as you watch it". And rightly so.

C'mon Beth! I know you are with me on this issue! What's your opinion?

(It's nice to be on Beth's good side because she really goes for the throat if you are on the other side!) :wah:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
LottomagicZ4941

Fired for smoking

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

LOL on the these people wern't smoking pot comment.

I know people who only casually smoke pot.

Tobacco smokers smoke every day so in my book Tobacco is worse.

Well, I need to take off to get some food and perhaps a beer.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941
Bullet

Fired for smoking

Post by Bullet »

So this company told her to quit or PACK it up eh? I guess it wants to FILTER out the smoking offenders. Well when the SMOKE clears, I'm sure this issue will KOOL off. I mean it's a BASIC issue of rights. When some one violates my rights, I see REDS and just want to beat the TAR out of them. Kick em right in the ASH. What a pain in the BUTT. It's this kind of tresspass that is the CANCER of our society. Where do you DRAW the line? This is a democratic society, we don't have KINGS or even MONARCHS. Is there any precedent we can MATCH it to?

On the LIGHTER side, perhaps it will encourage some to quit. And think of the money saved. You could buy a new boat or put your old one in a NEW PORT. Or perhaps a new CAR, TONS of ideas come to mind. Maybe get a new pet cat, dog, or heck even a CAMEL.

I apologize for this post. Some may find it in bad TASTE. :wah:
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
BabyRider

Fired for smoking

Post by BabyRider »

Bullet wrote: So this company told her to quit or PACK it up eh? I guess it wants to FILTER out the smoking offenders. Well when the SMOKE clears, I'm sure this issue will KOOL off. I mean it's a BASIC issue of rights. When some one violates my rights, I see REDS and just want to beat the TAR out of them. Kick em right in the ASH. What a pain in the BUTT. It's this kind of tresspass that is the CANCER of our society. Where do you DRAW the line? This is a democratic society, we don't have KINGS or even MONARCHS. Is there any precedent we can MATCH it to?

On the LIGHTER side, perhaps it will encourage some to quit. And think of the money saved. You could buy a new boat or put your old one in a NEW PORT. Or perhaps a new CAR, TONS of ideas come to mind. Maybe get a new pet cat, dog, or heck even a CAMEL.

I apologize for this post. Some may find it in bad TASTE. :wah:
Do you ALWAYS have to be silly???

That was pretty darn funny Bullet...:yh_bigsmi
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet

Fired for smoking

Post by Bullet »

StelZ wrote: Does everyone truly die then?
Your being obtuse. (look it up) So far I have not met any immortals. So it is safe to say .......yes.
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
Hawke

Fired for smoking

Post by Hawke »

/* Begin Prophecy of Doom */

This situation needs to stop, and stop right now.

Today, we're firing workers for being smokers. Tomorrow, we fire someone for being obese. Or someone who is pregnant. Or someone with a family history of heart problems. Or someone who has a genetic predisposition to bad eyesight, or deafness, or diabetes...

Are we hurtling toward a future where only perfectly healthy, single, celibate young workers are able to gain gainful employment and/or advance to high positions within companies/corporations?

Where does it end?

/* End Prophecy of Doom */
Jives

Fired for smoking

Post by Jives »

Hawke wrote: Or someone who has a genetic predisposition to bad eyesight, or deafness, or diabetes...

Are we hurtling toward a future where only perfectly healthy, single, celibate young workers are able to gain gainful employment ?

Yes...See the movie "Gattaca". That's why I don't let them scan my driver's license when I buy beer. (I took a strong magnet to the strip on the back so it wouldn't work anyway.)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Bullet

Fired for smoking

Post by Bullet »

StelZ wrote:

Don't want to be branded anal or pedantic as well as obtuse :pPedantic? Where's my webster's at.....?:wah:
Raven

Fired for smoking

Post by Raven »

Hawke wrote: /* Begin Prophecy of Doom */

This situation needs to stop, and stop right now.

Today, we're firing workers for being smokers. Tomorrow, we fire someone for being obese. Or someone who is pregnant. Or someone with a family history of heart problems. Or someone who has a genetic predisposition to bad eyesight, or deafness, or diabetes...

Are we hurtling toward a future where only perfectly healthy, single, celibate young workers are able to gain gainful employment and/or advance to high positions within companies/corporations?

Where does it end?

/* End Prophecy of Doom */
With Charleton Heston screaming "SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!"?

Or Logans Run?
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
koan

Fired for smoking

Post by koan »

I guess this is a good reason to work for yourself. Among other good reasons.

As far as smoking goes, make it illegal. As long as I can buy a pack at every corner people can kiss my butt if they don't want me to smoke them.
Paula

Fired for smoking

Post by Paula »

This is purely a money issue in the end. Insurance companies don't want to pay for smokers. (soon) Whether it be Health Insurance or Life, smoking affects the policies and the cost. This is an example of whats ahead on Smoking. :yh_ghost
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.

Return to “Work Employment”