Swan put down after being savaged by dog

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Link

A swan had to be put down after it was savaged by a dog last Saturday afternoon.

The male swan, or cob, was rescued from the water behind the Swan Hotel by RSPCA animal collection Officer (ACO) Jane Folly on Saturday afternoon following calls from members of the public.

The bird was suffering from deep cuts along his right side and a badly broken right wing.

His intestines were protruding from the wounds and the cob had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice to prevent him from suffering further.

Passers-by said that a Staffordshire bull terrier had attacked the bird.

The dog was with its owner but was not on a lead.

Now the RSPCA is appealing to dog owners in the Bedford area to keep their pets under control.

ACO Folly said: “At first we thought the swan wasn’t badly injured as he was active. However, when we got him onto the bank we realised he would have no chance of a full recovery due to the severity of his injuries.

“There are lots of swans and geese in this area and we are appealing to all dog walkers to keep their pets on a lead to prevent further birds from suffering similar pain and distress.”
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:-1 Oh, the poor swan. They are so beautiful, that is a shame the dog wasn't properly restrained. That is the owner's fault.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I meant to make the comment that this occurred in a park area where dogs are required to be kept on a lead. In the spring, you will often see cygnets and ducklings on the banks. It's a lovely spot to walk.

And not to forget the goslings, too.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

OpenMind wrote: I meant to make the comment that this occurred in a park area where dogs are required to be kept on a lead. In the spring, you will often see cygnets and ducklings on the banks. It's a lovely spot to walk.

And not to forget the goslings, too.

This seems to bring to light a sad and prevelant behaviour in society, and that is people don't care about rules / laws. Whilst laws and rules exist, but are not backed up by punishments / fines, then I feel that people will just carry on doing as they like and we will see more and more people and animals suffering. How sad.:mad::(
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

woppy71 wrote: This seems to bring to light a sad and prevelant behaviour in society, and that is people don't care about rules / laws. Whilst laws and rules exist, but are not backed up by punishments / fines, then I feel that people will just carry on doing as they like and we will see more and more people and animals suffering. How sad.:mad::(

Fortunately, Woppy. Their are a good number of people who do care. Those that took the trouble to report that the swan had been injured are some of those that care.:-6

But you are nonetheless right. There appears to be more and more people who just don't give a damn.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

SnoozeControl wrote: They mate for life, don't they? :-1

Swans are monogamous and are not known to take another should they lose their mate.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

In my wildest dreams, I hope the owner of the pitbull reads the article (which was published in a local free paper) and feels remorse for their carelessness. But, providing they can read, I doubt they will feel any responsibility for their actions.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Isn't it true that all swans belong to the Queen? She should track down this irresponsible pet owner and WHOP HIM/HER WITH HER PURSE! :mad:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lulu2 wrote: Isn't it true that all swans belong to the Queen? She should track down this irresponsible pet owner and WHOP HIM/HER WITH HER PURSE! :mad:

Technically, swans belong to the Queen. If one is killed, it has to be offered to the Queen. The premise behind this is that the monarchy gets first refusal to have the swan to eat. The Queen may decline the offer and then the swan can be eaten by the person who finds it.

It is illegal to kill a swan. However, the RSPCA is a royal institute and presumably they have a special dispensation to kill swans for humane reasons.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

To see justice done would be very satisfying.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I'm enjoying this image...."Knock, knock....Irresponsible Pet Owner (henceforth known as IPO) goes to the door and finds Her Majesty, looking as displeased as ONLY she can, purse in hand, cold gleam in her eye.

IPO, somewhat flustered, invites Her Majesty inside the hovel.

"That won't be needed," says HM. And she begins WHOPPING the IPO repeatedly about the head!

"Murder MY swan, will you?" she shrieks! "Take THAT!"

IPO runs to the kitchen and hides under the table, while HM laughs gleefully and leaves, in as dignified a manner as ONLY she can."
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lulu. The Queen would never stoop so low as to touch the miserable excuse. She would have one of her yeomen perform the whipping while she looked on from her carriage.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

:( I've always suspected she's not much fun! Now....the FIRST Elizabeth seems like someone with real blood in her...SHE'D be whopping that IPO!;) And then stop at a pub for a pint!
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lulu2 wrote: :( I've always suspected she's not much fun! Now....the FIRST Elizabeth seems like someone with real blood in her...SHE'D be whopping that IPO!;) And then stop at a pub for a pint!

But we didn't have pubs then!
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Really? I thought "public houses/inns" had been around longer than that.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lulu2 wrote: Really? I thought "public houses/inns" had been around longer than that.

Here's a link for you, Lu.

http://www.pubs.com/pub_history.cfm
twizzel

Post by twizzel »

OpenMind wrote: Link

A swan had to be put down after it was savaged by a dog last Saturday afternoon.

The male swan, or cob, was rescued from the water behind the Swan Hotel by RSPCA animal collection Officer (ACO) Jane Folly on Saturday afternoon following calls from members of the public.

The bird was suffering from deep cuts along his right side and a badly broken right wing.

His intestines were protruding from the wounds and the cob had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice to prevent him from suffering further.

Passers-by said that a Staffordshire bull terrier had attacked the bird.

The dog was with its owner but was not on a lead.

Now the RSPCA is appealing to dog owners in the Bedford area to keep their pets under control.

ACO Folly said: “At first we thought the swan wasn’t badly injured as he was active. However, when we got him onto the bank we realised he would have no chance of a full recovery due to the severity of his injuries.

“There are lots of swans and geese in this area and we are appealing to all dog walkers to keep their pets on a lead to prevent further birds from suffering similar pain and distress.”
I had a small german shepherd who was swimming in the lake at regents park in London when a pair of swans with young came past the drake tried to drown my dog and he only got out of the water with great difficulty and still the swan kept attacking him he was very good he just kept moving away and although he barked he made no attempt to bit the swan, it's not always the swan who needs to watch out for dogs it works the other way as well.
twizzel

Post by twizzel »

OpenMind wrote: But we didn't have pubs then!
Don't be silly this is England there have always been inn's for us to get our pint or ten that is when did not make and drink our own. It was the mead which made us such a civilised race.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

twizzel wrote: I had a small german shepherd who was swimming in the lake at regents park in London when a pair of swans with young came past the drake tried to drown my dog and he only got out of the water with great difficulty and still the swan kept attacking him he was very good he just kept moving away and although he barked he made no attempt to bit the swan, it's not always the swan who needs to watch out for dogs it works the other way as well.

It is never wise to go near any wild animal with young. Swans are no different in this respect and will not wait for perceived danger to get near their cygnets.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

We have a pair of black-necked swans at our zoo. Elegant, large, gorgeous...they routinely raise chicks for us. DO NOT PASS BY THE EXHIBIT if you're close to the edge, unless you want to have an adrenaline surge when the cob "charges" the hedge! :wah:

Interestingly, he doesn't object to the mallards who fly in, nest and raise chicks there every year....it's just people!

Take a look....http://whozoo.org/Anlife99/marlamon/blnkswanindex.html
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lovely swans, Lu. In another town near mine, there are swans that are completely black.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I love swans! Whenever I'm stressed, I think of swans....so serene...gliding along....calm as can be....and paddling like hell, underneath the water!
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Lulu2 wrote: I love swans! Whenever I'm stressed, I think of swans....so serene...gliding along....calm as can be....and paddling like hell, underneath the water!

Hahaha.:wah: I know ducks paddle furiously, but in clear water, you can see the swans are hardly trying. Serene above and below.:-6
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Lulu2 wrote: Isn't it true that all swans belong to the Queen?mad:

No, there are other owners. Google "swams belong queen" or similar, and

find things like http://www.garfnet.org.uk/new_mill/summer97/ah_swan.htm (a few years old, but you will get the drift).

Return to “Conservation The Environment”