Let's talk automobiles.... shall we?

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Where exactly do you pull the plug to check the transmission oil and such?

Why is it so important to let you car warm up on cold mornings when your just running to the store and back?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah:

The guys must be sitting in front of the TV's tonight................
Babies_Mama00

Post by Babies_Mama00 »

Sheryl wrote: Where exactly do you pull the plug to check the transmission oil and such?

Why is it so important to let you car warm up on cold mornings when your just running to the store and back?

To check your tranny fluid and your oil....it all depends on your car, the make and the model and such. I know on my truck my oil is to the right of the block, the tranny is towards the back of the block, on my brother in laws lincoln town car his oil is to the right of the block and his tranny is to the front of the block.

As for why you dont just start your car on a cold day than drive it is because you will crack your block. Your block is basically the core of your motor. It is like your spine, it holds everything together and makes it work. Everything is attached to the block and if you crack it you will need a new motor.
Babies_Mama00

Post by Babies_Mama00 »

I answered at each question.

flopstock wrote: Here's one for the guys.. and bill, look! I found the right forum!

Ladies, here's your chance! Ask those questions that make your guy just shake his head and walk away mumbling to himself!

If the little sticker that says when you should bring your car in for an oil change is too faded to read, how much longer can you reasonably wait, without risking some oil related catastrophe?

This one I dont really have an answer or an oppinion......but if you cant read the sticker, Id say its been a while and you may want to get one just to be safe lol.

Am i the only one who breaks a sweat when the gas line hits the orange bar area? If I normally get 20+ miles to the gallon, what exactly is that orange thing suppose to indicate to me in terms of actual distance?

Word of advise.....get a jerycan full of gas and drive your car till it runs out of gas, but put your trip odometer thing at 0 and than see how many KM's you get a tank.

How long should a set of brake pads last? And why would they wear to different degrees if presumably all four wheels are on the ground over 90% of the time that I attempt a stop?

Roughly a year...depending on how you drive, if you use your brakes while going around a corner it will use the one pad a little more than the other. That is how one gets more wear than the other sometimes.

Same thing with tires. If they start to wear and you replace one, does that one carry an extra load because it is thicker? Seems to me that it's important that all four wheels look as worn and old as each other. No kidding here, you walk through a parking lot and the cars that don't have matching tires stick out like a sore thumb.

My boyfriend changes the tires around on the car. If one is used more than the other than he takes that tire and he switches it with the one with the most thread on it. He keeps all four on the car until they are all on their last leg.

And finally, a helpful tip... if purchasing a new car, the interior carpeting is a critical factor, IMO. I've found that it is always best to get one that as closely matches the beverage you drive with, as possible. Why? Because cup holders don't work in new cars and most if not all of your beverage always lands on the floor of the car, usually within two to three weeks of purchase. And who really has the time, given our busy work schedules, to stop and clean the mess up before our next vacation?
Babies_Mama00

Post by Babies_Mama00 »

tmbsgrl wrote: You're good Babie!!! :D

My boyfriend is a mechanic!! My truck is tip top all the time thanks to him. If I wants pregnant I would be doing just as much as he does. I know once I have the baby I will be there helping. Altho it was not 2 weeks ago that I was out there under the car helping hehehehehe.
cars

Post by cars »

OK got to make this fast, I'm late for a mission! Here you go flop.

Ladies, here's your chance! Ask those questions that make your guy just shake his head and walk away mumbling to himself!

If the little sticker that says when you should bring your car in for an oil change is too faded to read, how much longer can you reasonably wait, without risking some oil related catastrophe? most car mfgrs recommend chgng oil between 3,000 to 5,000 mi. "or" ever 6 mo, or sooner.

Am i the only one who breaks a sweat when the gas line hits the orange bar area? If I normally get 20+ miles to the gallon, what exactly is that orange thing suppose to indicate to me in terms of actual distance? most gas tanks still have about 3 to 4 gals of gas left, "in a 18gal tank", when hits marker.

How long should a set of brake pads last? And why would they wear to different degrees if presumably all four wheels are on the ground over 90% of the time that I attempt a stop? depends on whether it's city or highway driving miles. if majority is city miles & make soft stops usually can go for 35,000 to 40,000 miles, for front wheels as they take the greater inertia force to stop car. Rears can usually go another 10,000 to 15,000 miles longer

Same thing with tires. If they start to wear and you replace one, does that one carry an extra load because it is thicker? Seems to me that it's important that all four wheels look as worn and old as each other. No kidding here, you walk through a parking lot and the cars that don't have matching tires stick out like a sore thumb. best is to always replace all 4 at the same time. If financially not practical, next best is to replace in pairs, front 2 or rear 2. Never 1 new on front & 1 new on rear.

And finally, a helpful tip... if purchasing a new car, the interior carpeting is a critical factor, IMO. I've found that it is always best to get one that as closely matches the beverage you drive with, as possible. Why? Because cup holders don't work in new cars and most if not all of your beverage always lands on the floor of the car, usually within two to three weeks of purchase. And who really has the time, given our busy work schedules, to stop and clean the mess up before our next vacation? Great idea flop, very sensible
Cars :)
Hugh Janus

Post by Hugh Janus »

I remember reading of a woman who went into a motor spares store and asked if they could supply her with a new 710 cap, as she had lost the original. The storekeeper didn't have a clue what she was talking about. After thirty mins of deliberation it suddenly dawned on him, exactly what she meant. He went into the back and came out with a brand new 710 cap.

So! What is a 710 cap, I hear you ask.... Read 710 upside down... :wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”