Baldnes is all your mother's fault, or so it says in the genes

A forum for our physically challenged members.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Sons may blame their fathers when they start balding prematurely but new research suggests it may be caused by the mother's genes.

Scientists have discovered a gene that plays a crucial role in the male hair loss on the X chromosome. Men always inherit the X chromosome from their mothers, while women inherit an X from each parent.

When it comes to going bald, a man is likely to take after his masternal grandfather rather than his father,the study by a team of German scientists indicates.

The gene affects the androgen receptor, a protein that helps activate male hormones. Certain changes in the gene may result in ''male pattern baldness'' marked by receding hairlines and thinning of hair at the back of the head.

It had long been suspected that hereditary factors were an important cause of hair loss. Until now it has not been clear which genes are involved. The androgen receptor gene was indentified by scientists who spent years searching for families in which several men were affected by baldness.

Blood samples were taken from the volunteers and screened for candidate genes. The scientists found that the gene lay on a part of the X chronmosone associated with the biggest contribution to baldness.

Professor Markus Nothen, who led the team, said, ''One variant of this gene was found among men who suffered from premature balding at a very early stage very much more often than among men who still had a full head of hair when over 60''.

The genetic variant is believed to result in more androgen in receptors on the scalp.

This has the effect of making the scalp more sensitive to the effect of hormones, leading to hair loss.

Irish Indepentent News/EU
Peg

Post by Peg »

Oh sure. Blame the mother. Everything's always the mother's fault. ")
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I heard this a decade ago so I guess they are just doing some follow up research.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

What about when women go bald, who can they blame. sinead o`connor?!
Clint

Post by Clint »

I started going bald over 35 years ago. I don’t understand why people spend time thinking about it. I have some hair on top but it wouldn’t bother me if I didn’t have any. It’s just hair.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
XeroGirl

Post by XeroGirl »

john8pies wrote: What about when women go bald, who can they blame. sinead o`connor?!

I think sinead oconnor isnt really bald she just shaves her head.Think ive seen her with hair. :-3
dray2004

Post by dray2004 »

Clint wrote: I started going bald over 35 years ago. I don’t understand why people spend time thinking about it. I have some hair on top but it wouldn’t bother me if I didn’t have any. It’s just hair.Re: Baldnes is all your mother’s fault, or so is says in the genes

I think people should not put so much value on appearance. The flaws of a person’s appearance can not cover the flaws in a person’s character. People should be happy with the way they look.
cars

Post by cars »

capt_buzzard wrote: Sons may blame their fathers when they start balding prematurely but new research suggests it may be caused by the mother's genes.

Scientists have discovered a gene that plays a crucial role in the male hair loss on the X chromosome. Men always inherit the X chromosome from their mothers, while women inherit an X from each parent.

When it comes to going bald, a man is likely to take after his masternal grandfather rather than his father,the study by a team of German scientists indicates.

The gene affects the androgen receptor, a protein that helps activate male hormones. Certain changes in the gene may result in ''male pattern baldness'' marked by receding hairlines and thinning of hair at the back of the head.

It had long been suspected that hereditary factors were an important cause of hair loss. Until now it has not been clear which genes are involved. The androgen receptor gene was indentified by scientists who spent years searching for families in which several men were affected by baldness.

Blood samples were taken from the volunteers and screened for candidate genes. The scientists found that the gene lay on a part of the X chronmosone associated with the biggest contribution to baldness.

Professor Markus Nothen, who led the team, said, ''One variant of this gene was found among men who suffered from premature balding at a very early stage very much more often than among men who still had a full head of hair when over 60''.

The genetic variant is believed to result in more androgen in receptors on the scalp.

This has the effect of making the scalp more sensitive to the effect of hormones, leading to hair loss.

Irish Indepentent News/EU

Wow Capt, longest post from you I've seen in a long time! Anyway, My Grandmother, My Dad's & His Brother's mother had a full head of hair untill the day she was burried, at 99-3/4 years. (Just missed 100 by about two months)

Anyway my Dad is completely bald, he went bald around 50ish. My Uncle, his Brother, (Two years younger) still has a full head of hair to this day (Though Salt & Pepper) So go figure? (I myself have a full head of hair, though Salt & Pepper)

My Mom still has a full head of hair to this day herself.

I am very happy that I do have a full head of hair, although some have said hair is not important, I guess it's not if you don't have it!
Cars :)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yul Brynner was the handsomest bald man I have ever seen on stage and screen. Those genes of his worked out just right!:wah:

*notice my smiley is bald too!*
Clint

Post by Clint »

Go figure. I’m missing a quit a bit of hair with about the same pattern of baldness as my father and his father. My maternal grandfather died at 92 with a full head of hair and very little grey. I’ve been losing my hair for about 37 years…long before any noticeable decline in testosterone.

I miss the testosterone more than I miss my hair.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Oh dear - my maternal Grandfather had a Kojak parting :wah:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i went bald at 15 at first i was very upset about it but now i love it the amount of women that stroke my shining head and say i look like yul brenner or vin diesel i've lost count of so its not all bad and just think of all the money i've saved on shampoo and hair cuts:-6
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

There are two things which worry men and which women don't care about. ONE is baldness. :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

is the other you dont care about a bald p**k also :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

ummmm....no. As a wise friend once said..."It's not the size of the cannon...it's the skill of the attack." :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i've also heard its not the size of the organ that matters its the size of the cathedral its playin in :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

:lips:

Return to “Physically Challenged”