My dog was poisoned

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
Lulu2

My dog was poisoned

Post by Lulu2 »

Best wishes for his continued recovery! (Who knew that lifting his leg could make us all cheer?) :)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thank you all for the continued support! He's still progressing. You all have been great and I appreciate you all keeping my spirits up during this past week while Techi is recovering. :)
valerie

My dog was poisoned

Post by valerie »

It is so good to hear he's doing so much better.

I'm sorry, but did you say how old he is?
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

cherandbuster

My dog was poisoned

Post by cherandbuster »

And also . . . how did you come up with his interesting name?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Valerie,

He turned a 1 year on March 1, 2006. I'm kind of thinking his age was in his favor. If he was older, maybe he wouldn't have been as strong.

Cheranbuster,

I actually took it out of a chihuahua handbook. In the book it talked about the origins of the Chihuahua and it said how they are believed to have come from the ancient peoples of Mexico and that they were originally called Techichis. They were supposedly burried with their dead owners to protect them (their owners) when going into the afterlife. I just thought it was an interesting and nice name.

Usually when I tell people what his name is they just kind of look at me like I'm crazy :wah: I was surprised though, I was at a new age store a few months back and I took Techi with me and there was a very old hispanic man at the store and he asked my dogs name and he actually knew the name and where it originated, so that was quite nice. :)
cherandbuster

My dog was poisoned

Post by cherandbuster »

Rainbow --

How is our little boy today? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

puppgirl

My dog was poisoned

Post by puppgirl »

rainbow i'm glad he's getting better i had a dog i don't remember what kind b/ci was like 2 or 3 lol and we lived in pacifica when it happened but mom told me that scuzzy (dog) was poisened by our neighbor he poisened one of the burgers and suczzy died the next day and then we got scuzzy2
cherandbuster

My dog was poisoned

Post by cherandbuster »

puppgirl wrote: suczzy died the next day and then we got scuzzy2

My sis-in-law had a cat named Spooky

After it died she named her next Spooky 2!

I don't think I could do that, though
Live Life with

PASSION

rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Cheranbuster,

He's the same. He seems to have stalled in the energy department. He's still very weak and we haven't seen much improvement yet. The vet said if he wasn't his complete self by the very end of July that he needs to be seen so it looks more like a visit to the vet is approaching.

rainbow i'm glad he's getting better i had a dog i don't remember what kind b/ci was like 2 or 3 lol and we lived in pacifica when it happened but mom told me that scuzzy (dog) was poisened by our neighbor he poisened one of the burgers and suczzy died the next day and then we got scuzzy2

Thats cute ^ the scuzzy 2 story. The poison part pisses me off. The more I share this story about my dog the more I hear similar stories. I guess there is no way of punishing whomever did it unless you catch them red handed and take photographs or video :mad:
OpenMind

My dog was poisoned

Post by OpenMind »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Cheranbuster,

He's the same. He seems to have stalled in the energy department. He's still very weak and we haven't seen much improvement yet. The vet said if he wasn't his complete self by the very end of July that he needs to be seen so it looks more like a visit to the vet is approaching.

Thats cute ^ the scuzzy 2 story. The poison part pisses me off. The more I share this story about my dog the more I hear similar stories. I guess there is no way of punishing whomever did it unless you catch them red handed and take photographs or video :mad:

I'm just so glad that he's making progress at all, Rainbow.

If you can run to it, it might be worth putting in a couple of video cameras for surveillance. Since neighbours tend to be blind, it's worth putting up notices to warn of these. The reason is that you're never going to go through all the recordings and another episode may occur. You will be able to go back over the recent recording to see who it was, but it's best for the incident not to happen at all.
susan

My dog was poisoned

Post by susan »

Hi rainbowsmiles,

I'm new to this site but just wanted to add my best wishes for Techi and hope he's still improving. Many years ago one of my cats was poisoned by the anti flea drops I got from the vets and she nearly died, but she made a full recovery and was with me for about 10 years after. I'm guessing you would have thought of it if you had got any chemicals from the vets. It's such a shame if it was deliberate.

Will be thinking of him, and hope to hear he's doing good.

Susan X
BabyRider

My dog was poisoned

Post by BabyRider »

susan wrote: Hi rainbowsmiles,

I'm new to this site but just wanted to add my best wishes for Techi and hope he's still improving. Many years ago one of my cats was poisoned by the anti flea drops I got from the vets and she nearly died, but she made a full recovery and was with me for about 10 years after. I'm guessing you would have thought of it if you had got any chemicals from the vets. It's such a shame if it was deliberate.

Will be thinking of him, and hope to hear he's doing good.

Susan X
Good grief, Susan, your cat was poisoned by something your VET gave her?!??! Geeze, I'd be a little miffed. Welcome to FG!! :yh_peace
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

susan

My dog was poisoned

Post by susan »

Hi BabyRider thanks for the welcome.

Yes it was when the neck drops first came out, originally the emergency vet thought she had managed to lick the drops and had me washing out her mouth (that went down well) but within days there was a recall of a bad batch as far as I remember, and then loads of stories of the same reaction but unfotunately quite a few cats didn't make it.
rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Welcome Susan to FG! Thanks for your kind words. Sorry to read about your cat. Scary when we can't trust the chemicals our docs or vets give us :(

Update on Techi: Well, it seems he did suffer a bit of brain damage. There was some damage that has affected the appetite center of his brain. I was just at the vets today and we discussed Techi's recovery. I was concerned because he's been different personality wise since the incident. He wants to eat non-stop (he never gets full) even when his stomach feels (from our touch) like it is going to explode. And then, if you touch his tummy he snaps at you (because it is painful). We only feed him in the mornings now and only a certain amount because he doesn't know how to stop. When we let him outside he looks for anything to consume (grass, etc...). The vet explained how the swelling (or the toxin he consumed) has damaged the appetite center of his brain :( Not sure if that will improve or not.
OpenMind

My dog was poisoned

Post by OpenMind »

Sorry to hear this Rainbow. I hope Techi gets his sense back.
cherandbuster

My dog was poisoned

Post by cherandbuster »

Oh, Rainbow Smiles, my good wishes are with you and your wonderful little doggie :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

Atlantia

My dog was poisoned

Post by Atlantia »

Hello, Rainbowsmiles,

I hope Techi continues to recover, and his appetite centre of his brain improves.

I'm sorry to hear what you and your little dog have been through, because of some horrid mindless person.

When I was in Australia, I helped to rescue a dog, which I named Poppy. She was abandoned by her former owners. The law seemed to be in that part of the country, that if a dog wasn't claimed in three days, then the dog would be put to sleep. I didn't want to send her to the warden, and there was no rescue centre for miles. I made posters trying to rehome the Poppy. During that time, someone broke in, and took Poppy away. I could hear her barking in the distance (she had a distintive bark) but it was distressing because I couldn't see where she was. It turned out, that a nieghbour had taken her, and called the dog warden, and demanded that the dog was shot there and then. The warden of course refused but took her away, giving her three days. He phoned me, and said what had happend, and also that Poppy had been fed snail pellets, but was recovering.

We then had three days to find her new home, and eventually one was found. :)

The woman who tried to kill Poppy, was cruel and heartless. I can't understand anyone who could do such a terrible thing to an animal. Thankfully these people are in the minority, and most people love our wonderful furry friends. :)
Some people think this is it;

fish think the same about the sea.
CheshireCat

My dog was poisoned

Post by CheshireCat »

Atlantia wrote:

The woman who tried to kill Poppy, was cruel and heartless. I can't understand anyone who could do such a terrible thing to an animal. Thankfully these people are in the minority, and most people love our wonderful furry friends. :)

I hate to hear stories like this, I'm so glad this one had a happy ending. Poppy was lucky to have you!

We see cruelty cases, you can not immagine what people do. It never ceases to amaze me.
"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!
OpenMind

My dog was poisoned

Post by OpenMind »

Atlantia wrote: someone broke in,

I hope you had them busted for that act, Atlantia.
Banshee

My dog was poisoned

Post by Banshee »

Oh man, i hate to hear such things about furbabies... rainbowsmiles, i hope things get better for your little furbaby. I am always so paranoid when i let my boys out to poddy. Our neighbors on one side are the worst and im always afraid their kids will do something or the dogs will find something they shouldn't.

I will keep your Techi in my thoughts and prayers.
rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thanks everyone for being so positive and helpful to me about this! I truly do appreciate it! HUGS for everyone who has been helping through this on this thread :)

I'm always amazed at the number of people that see animals as a nuisance. My neighbor across the street recently purchased a pitbull. It is the cutest little puppy. But they don't want to take care of it. The owner told another neighbor that she won't keep it in the house because it potties all over :confused: Never mind, she is suppose to be training it. They keep him chained to a tree in the day hours (in the sun) and at night they lock him in the garage. They didn't even allow him to have a bowl of water - they were only giving him water through a bottle :confused: They were told they should put water down for him but they don't. I just don't understand it.
chrisb84uk

My dog was poisoned

Post by chrisb84uk »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Thanks everyone for being so positive and helpful to me about this! I truly do appreciate it! HUGS for everyone who has been helping through this on this thread :)

I'm always amazed at the number of people that see animals as a nuisance. My neighbor across the street recently purchased a pitbull. It is the cutest little puppy. But they don't want to take care of it. The owner told another neighbor that she won't keep it in the house because it potties all over :confused: Never mind, she is suppose to be training it. They keep him chained to a tree in the day hours (in the sun) and at night they lock him in the garage. They didn't even allow him to have a bowl of water - they were only giving him water through a bottle :confused: They were told they should put water down for him but they don't. I just don't understand it.

Couldn't agree more, some people sadly are just like that, perhaps they had a bad experience when they were young and since then have always had it in for animals. As for buying an animal, and then just neglecting it, that is awful, and hopefully something will be done about it ASAP.

Oh and I'm glad to hear about your dog's recovery RS!!
RedGlitter

My dog was poisoned

Post by RedGlitter »

rainbowsmiles wrote: They keep him chained to a tree in the day hours (in the sun) and at night they lock him in the garage. They didn't even allow him to have a bowl of water - they were only giving him water through a bottle :confused: They were told they should put water down for him but they don't. I just don't understand it.

Report, report, report!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Bill Sikes

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bill Sikes »

rainbowsmiles wrote: I'm always amazed at the number of people that see animals as a nuisance. My neighbor across the street recently purchased a pitbull. It is the cutest little puppy.

Humph. Not viewed as such in the UK, it's on the list of prohibited dogs:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalH/welfare ... %20dogs%22

Prohibited dogs are:

Pit Bull Terrier type

Dogo Argentino type

Fila Braziliero type

Japanese Tosa type

The word "type" is important. If the animal looks like one of the above, it may

well be siezed.
rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I don't know too much about the laws regarding pitbulls. There most likely aren't too many here because several people around the area have them and I've also known people who have owned them or currently own them. The puppy is cute no matter the breeds reputation. All puppies are cute to me :)

All of the pitbulls I've had physical access to have been friendly and mild tempered. I do know the breed was bred originally for hunting small animals and still has those characteristics. My personal belief is that any breed of dog but especially large breeds, such as pitbulls, rottweilers, doberman, etc... Need owners that make good "pack" leaders (so to speak). Large dogs need room to run and need a strong leader so they know what is expected of them.

I do worry about this pitbull across the street. I can't deny that I've thought about the small children in the area as well as my own small dogs falling victim to this dog. Mainly because of the lack of leadership in the owners (not spending time with the pup and leaving him outside chained to the tree or locked in the garage ALONE for hours on end.). I don't think I've ever seen them take the dog for a walk :( Right now it is a pup, but I will definitely be more concerned when the dog gets bigger.
Banshee

My dog was poisoned

Post by Banshee »

REPORT THOSE PEOPLE ASAP!! That poor dog, pit bull or not... every dog/puppy deserves the chance to be brought up and trained right. Those peopel are just adding ot the negative rep the breed gets.

Fila Braziliero, they are one cute ugly dog! Massivly huge dogs, i'd love to own one.
rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thats the problem, there isn't anything to report them on. The animal control in our area is very specific on what the consider abuse against animals. They feed the dog, they give it shelter, and they give it water (although, not on what I consider to be a regular basis). And so far the dog hasn't become a nuisance (example: barking uncontrollably or running the neighborhood). So I wouldn't know exactly what to report.

I guess I'm very hesistant because I've run into a situation like this before. We reported someone who left their german shepherd outside during freezing whether with just a dog house to shelter him. We had to call the police because animal control was inactive over the weekends. The police ended up giving us a lecture about minding our own business. :(

It is Sunday now but tomorrow I will call the city animal control office and talk to them about my concerns and see if the family with the pup is violating any laws.
valerie

My dog was poisoned

Post by valerie »

While I have stated my views on leaving dogs outside (I'm 100%

AGAINST!) a healthy adult acclimated dog with a good dog house

should have no problem with even freezing weather. GSD's in

particular have a thick undercoat to protect them from the elements.

Over 30 years ago (when I did still adhere to the childhood raising

dogs outside idea) neighbors called animal control on me...

When the officer arrived, he couldn't stop laughing. I had a SIBERIAN

HUSKY.

:thinking:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

rainbowsmiles

My dog was poisoned

Post by rainbowsmiles »

^ Thats why I don't rush to turn people in valerie. Just because I might not approve of a way a dog is being cared for doesn't mean it is inhumane or illegal.

BTW/I did call the city to check on the animal rights laws in our area and as I thought, the neighbors haven't broken any laws.

While I have stated my views on leaving dogs outside (I'm 100%

AGAINST!) a healthy adult acclimated dog with a good dog house

should have no problem with even freezing weather. GSD's in

particular have a thick undercoat to protect them from the elements.

^The reason we called was because the dog was whining and barking incessantly for hours and it was below zero and our local news had a freeze warning and said that pets should not be left outside. Otherwise, we would never have called and I explained that to the police but they wouldn't listen - so I just try to avoid those situations now. :(
barkcollar

My dog was poisoned

Post by barkcollar »

my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning, i wish someone would poison them. i hate them with a passion, im a dog lover but i hate these yapping dogs. if the city cant stop them, then its the owners fault if they get poisoned. KILL ALL YORKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YZGI

My dog was poisoned

Post by YZGI »

barkcollar;1236446 wrote: my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning, i wish someone would poison them. i hate them with a passion, im a dog lover but i hate these yapping dogs. if the city cant stop them, then its the owners fault if they get poisoned. KILL ALL YORKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the same problem with New Yorkers.
RedGlitter

My dog was poisoned

Post by RedGlitter »

barkcollar;1236446 wrote: my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning, i wish someone would poison them. i hate them with a passion, im a dog lover but i hate these yapping dogs. if the city cant stop them, then its the owners fault if they get poisoned. KILL ALL YORKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, you're no dog lover. If you were you'd be smart enough to see the owners leave the dogs home alone all freakin day with no entertainment so they get bored and yap. Get a job. You won't be home to hear them.
gmc

My dog was poisoned

Post by gmc »

A yorkie is not a dog it's a hamster substitute. Get them a wheel.
buttercup

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

RedGlitter;1236473 wrote: No, you're no dog lover. If you were you'd be smart enough to see the owners leave the dogs home alone all freakin day with no entertainment so they get bored and yap. Get a job. You won't be home to hear them.

The OP is 3 years old and the response is barkcollars first. I'd say he/she's a troll.
Odie

My dog was poisoned

Post by Odie »

you should talk to your neighbours and explain your sleeping, plus dogs shouldn`t be left outside on their own anyway...

...to many weather changes and they do get loose.

nothing worse than a yappy dog all day!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

buttercup;1236542 wrote: The OP is 3 years old and the response is barkcollars first. I'd say he/she's a troll.
It's people thinking that newbies are trolls that put them off staying. It looks far more like someone googling potential solutions to a problem, finding this thread with many similar features and registering in order to comment.

Quite a few of FG's members arrived by registering in order to comment on an existing, frequently old, thread.

A dog regularly barking when home alone is a shockingly antisocial act on the part of the owner. In the UK it's grounds for getting the dog legally expelled from the neighborhood.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
buttercup

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

Thanks for pointing that out Spot. Quite an introduction if that's the case :-2
spot

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

buttercup;1236560 wrote: Thanks for pointing that out Spot. Quite an introduction if that's the case :-2

Quite a social aggravation too. Repetitively barking dogs. Akin in many ways to repetitively returning antagonist posters trying hard to damage a forum by stirring trouble whenever they hear of it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;1236473 wrote: No, you're no dog lover. If you were you'd be smart enough to see the owners leave the dogs home alone all freakin day with no entertainment so they get bored and yap. Get a job. You won't be home to hear them.

Have you considered that the likely reason for the poster sleeping during the day is that he works nights?

Have you also considered that leaving dogs at home alone all day is cruelty and owners should be taken to court for maltreatment - not the neighbours criticized for complaining?

Totally agree that the complaint was badly put but he has every reason to complain.
buttercup

My dog was poisoned

Post by buttercup »

spot;1236566 wrote: Quite a social aggravation too. Repetitively barking dogs. Akin in many ways to repetitively returning antagonist posters trying hard to damage a forum by stirring trouble whenever they hear of it.

Yes, point taken on that one too. Idle hands makes for the devils work.
RedGlitter

My dog was poisoned

Post by RedGlitter »

Jesus Christ. Can your barbs be a little more transparent Spot? :thinking:

Bryn nobody has a right to say they wish someone would poison an animal. No argument. That's a fact. And maybe had he not been so trollish in running chum for a response, someone might have offered some solution to his problem.
RedGlitter

My dog was poisoned

Post by RedGlitter »

buttercup;1236587 wrote: Yes, point taken on that one too. Idle hands makes for the devils work.

:wah: Full moon, empty head.
Bryn Mawr

My dog was poisoned

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;1236589 wrote: Jesus Christ. Can your barbs be a little more transparent Spot? :thinking:

Bryn nobody has a right to say they wish someone would poison an animal. No argument. That's a fact. And maybe had he not been so trollish in running chum for a response, someone might have offered some solution to his problem.

As I said, his way of making his complaint was poorly chosen - but then, so was your response.
abbey

My dog was poisoned

Post by abbey »

barkcollar;1236446 wrote: my neighbors have 2 stupid yorkies, they go to work at 6 in the morning and leave them out all day. i sleep days and they wake me up every morning, i wish someone would poison them. i hate them with a passion, im a dog lover but i hate these yapping dogs. if the city cant stop them, then its the owners fault if they get poisoned. KILL ALL YORKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What a horrible post!

I'm bloody glad you dont live next to me.
spot

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

abbey;1236609 wrote: What a horrible post!

I'm bloody glad you dont live next to me.

Let's be constructive abbey. What would you suggest as a solution? How do you get a resident to control his dogs when they're left unattended all day at home? Presumably there's no possible way to arrange for them to have company.
abbey

My dog was poisoned

Post by abbey »

spot;1236611 wrote: Let's be constructive abbey. What would you suggest as a solution? How do you get a resident to control his dogs when they're left unattended all day at home? Presumably there's no possible way to arrange for them to have company.
They could try approaching his neighbour, maybe if they are at work they dont know if the dogs are barking all day.

I certainly dont advocate poisoning them.
spot

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

abbey;1236612 wrote: They could try approaching his neighbour, maybe if they are at work they dont know if the dogs are barking all day.

I certainly dont advocate poisoning them.

And neither do I, but take it a step further. What possible action could the owner take? That's the bit I'm missing.
abbey

My dog was poisoned

Post by abbey »

I suppose it depends on the owner.

I can't leave Raspberry home alone as her barking is relentless, I leave her at my mums.

Maybe if they are left in a cage or kennel they could try giving them the run of the house.
spot

My dog was poisoned

Post by spot »

abbey;1236629 wrote: I suppose it depends on the owner.

I can't leave Raspberry home alone as her barking is relentless, I leave her at my mums.

Maybe if they are left in a cage or kennel they could try giving them the run of the house.

I find it hard to believe our visitor hasn't tried raising the problem with the owner already.

You think dogs left alone all day with the run of the house don't bark relentlessly? That's not my experience.

Return to “Pet Advice Support”