Bigger Spiders are here! (apparently)

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

An article in the Daily Mail (UK) today, reported that the eight legged horrors are bigger this year, due to a mild winter last year, and a hot summer this year.

I always thought house spiders were big enough, so what size are they talking about? I'd dread to think!

The article in the Mail, however, seems to be praising the nasty critters! It concludes with 'If global warming means more, bigger and better-fed spiders, it is one consequence we should welcome. Bless their eight beautiful legs.' I don't think so! :(
Some people think this is it;

fish think the same about the sea.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Nasty!! That's the last thing we need here. You are right common house spiders are big enough, so anything larger is certainly not welcome. Hmmm I had better not tell my mum this, otherwise she will want to leave the country hehehe.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Glad that is not true over here!
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Spiders don't want to hurt anyone...they just want to catch and eat nasty flies. You know flies? Those things that eat garbage and feces and spread germs with their sticky little feet? Yes..those things!

Now...given a choice....I'd take a house with spiders over a house with flies any day!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

So bigger is not better then...:sneaky:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

You make a good point there Lulu, but I would still rather have a house free of both!!
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

It's interesting how some creatures just give people the willies....snakes, bats & spiders! All of them get bad press and quietly do good works for us...we just have this FEAR thing going!

I'm convinced that, somewhere deeeeeeep down in the old primitive part of our brains, something still lives which whispers in our ears and says "be careful of snakes and spiders, because they can hurt you."

I LOVE to show the tarantulas we have at the zoo! They're so light you can hardly feel them on the palm of your hand...gentle creatures which feel like a whisper on your skin.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

And I'll bet BORIS killed lots of yucky flies for you, too....

Good boy, Boris! GOOD BOY! :wah:
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Lulu2 wrote: It's interesting how some creatures just give people the willies....snakes, bats & spiders! All of them get bad press and quietly do good works for us...we just have this FEAR thing going!

I'm convinced that, somewhere deeeeeeep down in the old primitive part of our brains, something still lives which whispers in our ears and says "be careful of snakes and spiders, because they can hurt you."

I LOVE to show the tarantulas we have at the zoo! They're so light you can hardly feel them on the palm of your hand...gentle creatures which feel like a whisper on your skin.

and bees too, they are really harmless.

without them we would not have flowers :(
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Pinky wrote: We get some HYUUUUGE ones around here.

I had one a while back..I named him Boris. He was the size of my palm, you could even see how hairy he was from across the room.

:eek: *shiver* the only thing i'm afraid of is spiders! eeeeew...they do a good job of killing pests but keep them away from me.
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Pinky wrote: Aw, he was quite sweet really!

Now moths are a different matter...they are born from the devil's anus.

the butterflies of the night ...what's not to love?
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Pinky wrote: Aw, he was quite sweet really!

what did you feed him? are we talking about a tarantula here? :lips:
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

I've always been terrified of spiders, except when I was on holiday in Arizona. I went to a barbeque, where they had some tarantulas in glass tanks. Later in the evening, they let people handle the rather scary looking beasties. I felt brave, and wanted to overcome my fear. I was given 'Harry' to hold, and crawl over my hands. He wasn't that bad, he was just crawling about, didn't bite or anything. After a while, I handed him back, and felt pretty pleased with myself. No more aracnophobia! Cured? Not exactly, back home I'm just the same as before. :confused:

ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Pinky wrote: Just an overly large house spider! I have a pic of him somewhere...I'll have a rummage around and find it in a sec.

He was pretty good and found his own food...Boris the self-catering spiddy!

:D this should be interesting.
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Atlantia wrote: I've always been terrified of spiders, except when I was on holiday in Arizona. I went to a barbeque, where they had some tarantulas in glass tanks. Later in the evening, they let people handle the rather scary looking beasties. I felt brave, and wanted to overcome my fear. I was given 'Harry' to hold, and crawl over my hands. He wasn't that bad, he was just crawling about, didn't bite or anything. After a while, I handed him back, and felt pretty pleased with myself. No more aracnophobia! Cured? Not exactly, back home I'm just the same as before. :confused:

the little ones can sometimes be scarier than the big ones and they don't have the 'just a pet' title like tarantulas... you are brave...i would never handle a big hairy tarantula. just looking at the beady eyes, big fangs, and irrrrr...icky. :o
ARgi

Post by ARgi »

Pinky wrote:

It's not particularly clear, but here he is!

did you ever handle him?
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

ARgi wrote: the little ones can sometimes be scarier than the big ones and they don't have the 'just a pet' title like tarantulas... you are brave...i would never handle a big hairy tarantula. just looking at the beady eyes, big fangs, and irrrrr...icky. :o

I guess, Harry was a sort of pet, and I was told he was used to being handled and didn't bite. If I saw a tarantula crawling along elsewhere, I would probably freak!

chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well thankfully we don't get that many spiders here. Ants on the other hand, now they are a problem, what I wouldn't give for an anteater during the summer months!!
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Pinky wrote:

It's not particularly clear, but here he is!

Oh Lord he looks like a vicious bugger, better call out the Marines:rolleyes:

Better evacuate London:D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I thought about this thread while I was handling the Madagascar hissing cockroaches at the zoo today! I ALMOST took out the pink-toed tarantula, but she's making a web so I left her alone.

Boris is a handsome spider, Pinks!

I was showing Vietnamese Walking Sticks today....you'll like this....over 90% of them are female! Males appear to be evolving out because the girls don't need them! They lay fertile eggs....which are essentially CLONES of themselves.

Interesting process, eh? It's called PARTHENOGENESIS and there are some lizards in Texas who can do it, too. It's not necessarily good for genetic diversity, but it works when males are few & far between!
Peg

Post by Peg »

I HATE SPIDERS. HATE, HATE, HATE THEM! Give me flies any day! I swing a mean fly swatter. Spiders are mean, evil, vicious creatures. Their bites can land you in the hospital and leave nasty scars.:(
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

PEG, PEG, PEG! I know how you feel...I honestly do. I'd like to spend a day with you at our zoo.

NOBODY was ever more afraid of snakes, bugs & bats as I...nobody! I could help....
Peg

Post by Peg »

My husband and son love to throw objects up in the air above my head to watch bats swoop down and you wonder why I fear them? :wah:
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

So? TURN THE HOSE ON YOUR HUSBAND AND YOUR SON!

:wah:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I don't mind spiders as long as they keep their distance. I even had a pet tarantula at one time. However the shower is off limits. I'm surprised I haven't landed myself in hospital from slipping and falling during one of my fits of finding a spider in the shower with me. :rolleyes:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

LOL...I visited my Aunt Radna in Tampa and enjoyed a visit of several days. On the second day, I saw a HUGE spider in the shower, which, unfortunately, I accidently swept down the drain.

My dear aunt said...."Be careful in there....we've got a spider living in the shower."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! :p
Peg

Post by Peg »

Lulu2 wrote: So? TURN THE HOSE ON YOUR HUSBAND AND YOUR SON!

:wah:
Oh I do like the way you think!:wah:
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

helefra wrote: I hate spiders, I have to get my partner to get rid of 'em out of the house. I'm that afraid of them, that if I see a big spider crossing the road or pavement, I will stop for a moment in fear. Pretty stupid really but for some reason I just can't stand 'em. However, they do their job of eating the nasty insects that bring all those germies. I would never kill a spider though.

I think I saw a movie which was about spiders that grew gigantic, I wish I could remember the title of that film.:thinking: I found the film rather funny and very good but the real scary large spider I saw was the one in the final film of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - that one had me screaming while I was in the cinema.:yh_giggle

An old film where spiders grew giagantic was probably 'The Giant Spider Invasion' a film made in the 70's, which has a HUGE spider the size of a house, at the end. Pretty daft film, from what I can remember.

I hate the things! Apparently conkers will deter spiders from entering a room. I have a few on the floor behind the sofa, bedside tables etc.

I stayed in Australia for a while a few years ago; I saw some beasties there! :eek:

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Pinky wrote: I found him again earlier in the spare room!

He's stalking you Pinky, he is intelligent and wishes you ill!!!:sneaky:
Bez

Post by Bez »

I'm not a lover of spiders, specially if they walk towards me. I try the old jam jar and card trick and put them in the garden, but they always come back in doors.

I am not overly keen on them getting bigger *shudders* .....I think I might get just a tad hostile towards them if you get my meaning.....:sneaky:
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Peg

Post by Peg »

Zinky's avatar creeps me out.:wah:
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Peg wrote: Zinky's avatar creeps me out.:wah:

O great now were gonna pick on bats:mad:

LOL:wah:
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

zinkyusa wrote: O great now were gonna pick on bats:mad:

LOL:wah:

Awww, bats are so cute!

I'd sooner see more bats around this time of year, than spiders. At least bats don't hide behind bookcases waiting to frighten the living daylights out of an unsuspecting arachnophobe! :D

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Atlantia wrote:

Awww, bats are so cute!

I'd sooner see more bats around this time of year, than spiders. At least bats don't hide behind bookcases waiting to frighten the living daylights out of an unsuspecting arachnophobe! :D

The bats of the world are grateful to you.:D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Driving down a country road in Nepal, I saw a tree literally covered with sleeping fruit bats! I got so excited I had the driver stop so I could take video of them. They're very lovely.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

And rightly so every time I see and spider, snake, or bat they are moving realllllly fast coming right at me...:eek: :eek:

[QUOTE]snakes, bats & spiders! All of them get bad press and quietly do good works for us...we just have this FEAR thing going![/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Peg

Post by Peg »

Lulu2 wrote: Driving down a country road in Nepal, I saw a tree literally covered with sleeping fruit bats! I got so excited I had the driver stop so I could take video of them. They're very lovely.
You took a video of them on purpose? They are lovely?:-2
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

I think bats are great. I got to see hundreds of them when I visited Chester Zoo, as they have their own bat cave, and you were able to walk right through, and watch them. One even touched my head as it flew above me. Even the little kids that were there seemed to love the experience too!
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Like winged kitties..;)
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

PEG this isn't the BEST photo I can find but it does show that fruit bats are lovely ... they call them "flying foxes." They're BIG...about the size of a sea gull and they're lovely amber-to-chocolate brown.

http://whozoo.org/students/dansch/fruitbat.htm

http://www.mnzoo.com/animals/tropics_trail/fbat_1.asp

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”