Yo Cookie...What's the receipe fer this.....

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well I haven't got a question about any of the coffee shops meals (all too nice) but I am curious as to why you decided to call this thread 'yo cookie'?
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah I see thanks for the explanation Clipper. I was just confused with the term cookie, as for us it is a delicious biscuit that u eat.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hahaha oh speaking of the difference in language between out two countries. When we were on holiday, my younger brother, (bless him,) whilst in a restaurant saw that on the menu was a juicy steak with fries. By the time the waitress came to take his order, he said "I'd like on of those steaks please, but what are fries, is it the way that the steak is cooked, because I don't want a fried steak it would taste bad."

Oh how we giggled. :wah:
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

actually Chris, many southern places over here serve chicken-fried steak with a heavy gravy. it's pretty popular, but definately a heart attack in the making!

Attached files
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Sounds really nice LC. Do they swamp the food with the gravy though? I've had so many lovely dinners ruined by the huge amount of the stuff that has been given to me.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah thanks for the pic. I'm pretty sure that I've had that before whilst I was in the US on holiday. If my memory serves me right, it was one of the best meals that I have had.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

chrisb84uk wrote: Sounds really nice LC. Do they swamp the food with the gravy though? I've had so many lovely dinners ruined by the huge amount of the stuff that has been given to me.

Aww Chris you can never have to much gravy, espicially cream gravy. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Sheryl wrote: Aww Chris you can never have to much gravy, espicially cream gravy. :wah:

Hahaha well the kind of gravy we have over here, if u get too much of the stuff all the food tastes really nasty, and therefore the food is a complete waste. I do like the creamy gravy though, as it least it adds a certain taste to your food. Same goes with salt, too much just makes food inedible.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I grew up on cream gravy, it's a staple in my diet. What kind of gravy is it that you have?

my son
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Sheryl wrote: I grew up on cream gravy, it's a staple in my diet. What kind of gravy is it that you have?

Well at least the stuff we have at home, (not sure about when we eat out, but it's still roughly the same,) is from Bisto. We buy the Bisto granules, which u simply add to water and is a quick way of having gravy for dinner. It's very simple, and yet really nice, but as I say, don't really want to much of it.

Looks something like this.

Attached files
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

WHITE GRAVY

Combine 2 tablespoons of butter, a little onion and 1 tablespoon or so of flour. Cook until onion is tender. Add 1 cup milk and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickens.

this is the basis for the gravy used on chicken-fried steak. it's very thick and too heavy for my taste. biscuits and gravy is a popular southern breakfast, and they put sausage in the white gravy.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Ohh brown gravy. Ok yea I know doesn't sound appetizing but that's what I've always called it.

my son
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

lady cop wrote: WHITE GRAVY

Combine 2 tablespoons of butter, a little onion and 1 tablespoon or so of flour. Cook until onion is tender. Add 1 cup milk and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickens.

this is the basis for the gravy used on chicken-fried steak. it's very thick and too heavy for my taste. biscuits and gravy is a popular southern breakfast, and they put sausage in the white gravy.

Ok no wonder you don't like it. The way i make mine is. I fry up some bacon, then set aside the bacon. Using the bacon drippings, I add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir till forms a paste. Then I add milk slowly till the gravy is the consistency that I want it. Then I crumble the bacon back into my gravy.

my son
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

My favorite gravy... TURKEY!

after roasting the bird... take it out of the pan... place roaster on stove top (two burners) and get to boiling... as it boils I add chicken broth and corn starch .... keep stirring as it thickens.... YUMMM!!!!
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
Okie

Post by Okie »

Clipper wrote: Need the receipe to any of the Coffee Shop meals? Just post yer question right here and we'll get back to you!!:D :D
I want very much ot find the recipe for oatmeal cookies my mom used to make. They ended up pufffy and soft in the center and brown around the edges. They had ground cloves in them I am sure and the raisins were puffed up and soft. I think she boiled the raisins a bit first. I have tested several recipes I found and none makes the soft puffy oatmeal cookies I remember.
Okie

Post by Okie »

Sheryl wrote: Ok no wonder you don't like it. The way i make mine is. I fry up some bacon, then set aside the bacon. Using the bacon drippings, I add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir till forms a paste. Then I add milk slowly till the gravy is the consistency that I want it. Then I crumble the bacon back into my gravy.
I never did crumble the bacon back in but yes, I make it about the same way. Unless I want to cheat and I use some gravy mix called pepper gravy. Its very easy and if I want it really good I fry a couple of sausage pattys and crumble them into it. This mix , you just put two cups of water on to boil and mix one cup of mix wiith one cup of cold water then when the pot boils stir the water/mix into it and by the time you get it stirred in its done. You can add the sausage with the water to start or add it last.When you cook cajun you start about the same as gravy by heating a skillet with oil or butter and add a little flour stirring constantly so it dont burn then add onions and bell peppers and cook a bit then add HOT water slowly so not to make the roux seperate. Then add whatever you want like chicken or sausage or shrimp and some okra. The okra makes it thicken. If you dont have any you can add file powder as you put it in the bowls.

I make cajun fried cabbage by frying a few slices of bacon then taking them out and frying the cut up cabbage in the bacon grease then when its browned a bit add a little hot water, maybe half a cup and cruble the bacon back in and add cayenne and cover and simmer about 15 or twenty minutes til its tender.
ACCADUE

Post by ACCADUE »

May i have the receipe for the Thanksgiving day turkey ? :yh_pray

Please, please: i see it in a lot of american movies, but how is it stuffed it?

If you wish, i may give you the lasagne with spinach receipe, :p

bye

Return to “The Coffee Shop”