Deadwood

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

I'll offer what I suspect is the greatest piece of TV drama of the last decade at least, HBO's Deadwood (currently on Sky 1 and 3).

I'd been thoroughly impressed by seasons 1 and 2, particularly by Ian McShane who had a reputation already in the UK, both as a stage actor and as producer and lead in Lovejoy in the early 1990s (and, apparently, "bounding English cad Don Lockwood in the soap opera Dallas").

Having watched the first five episodes of Series 3, I'm amazed at what the program has managed - it's a leap ahead of any other drama I can think of. The crafted language, the impeccable delivery from the entire cast, the depth of plotting involved - it's very wonderful. This is also, it would seem, the final series with the possibility of one or two feature film vehicles to follow.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cherandbuster

Deadwood

Post by cherandbuster »

SnoozeControl wrote: everytime a character says CS.

Snoozie or Spot

What does 'CS' mean?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

cherandbuster

Deadwood

Post by cherandbuster »

OH YEAH!!!

My sis loves "Deadwood" and says the language is brutal

I have no problem with that kind of language really

Don't they use the other "C" word a lot too?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: I love Ian McShane though, he's the best written and portrayed bad guy I've ever seen in a TV show or movie... he's got so many layers, he seems like a real, breathing person.He acts the way I feel half the time - utterly baffled that other people can be such idiots, completely frustrated that things take so long to accomplish and bewildered by whatever motivates anyone who doesn't do what he'd do. Putting all that over with an eyebrow and a second or two of hesitation when the character can't believe he has to say the next line, that's a great performance.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Marie5656

Deadwood

Post by Marie5656 »

Rick watches it. I was fine till last week when the two guys had the fight..and the one pulled the others eyeball out. :eek: :yh_sick
NefariousSaint

Deadwood

Post by NefariousSaint »

Best show on TV hands down. Like it better than I do The Sopranos anymore. I was also a big fan of Carnivale but was only given 2 seasons.

News is that Milch agreed to write two 2 hour episodes to complete the series after season 3. Shame it's going to end but IMO it won't be dragged out like The Sopranos whose past 2 seasons I've found to be a complete and utter BORE.
Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

NefariouS. is the reason I watch "Deadwood" without fail....sometimes twice! I'm sorry it's ending.

What'll happen to Alma? Will she kick it? Or succumb?

I think the "Calamity Jane" character is woefully unappreciated!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Marie5656

Deadwood

Post by Marie5656 »

Lulu2 wrote: I think the "Calamity Jane" character is woefully unappreciated!

Rick was watching some movie last year and pointed out a particular actress..turns out it was the actress who plays Calamity Jane. She looks totally different all cleaned up.
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

Marie5656 wrote: She looks totally different all cleaned up.Me too.
Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

Me, three.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: She's purty!What?? - Oh, I thought you meant Lulu for a moment. I've spent weeks thinking she was a marionette witch out of some school production of Macbeth. This notion that she might clean up at all has me quite baffled. I think we'll need a photo sometime for proof. She was playing with Nomad at one point, that's always a peculiar sign.

Sorry - off topic. Ignore me while I fetch the whiskey.
Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

"peculiar sign?" What? Playing with Nomad? If that's so....then many of you all are "peculiar"...which is why I feel eversoathome here! Besides...he's cute!;)

WOW! She IS purty! And very brave to take on an unrecognizable role as an unappealing character....
Accountable

Deadwood

Post by Accountable »

I can't see paying for HBO. :thinking:
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

Lulu2 wrote: "peculiar sign?" What? Playing with Nomad? If that's so....then many of you all are "peculiar"...which is why I feel eversoathome here! Besides...he's cute!;)You do know Nomad was the third gunman on the Grassy Knoll, don't you?
Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

Those're fun...the extras & interviews, etc. It's the goriest series...and it makes me wonder if MY predecessors (who lived through that era) actually used the "F" word and the "CS" phrase as often as this script! :-3
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

I don't believe for a moment that there's the least element of historical authenticity in the depiction, it's as stylised as any TV series ever was and just as artificial. It's a wonderfully idealized style and artifice, that's all. Taking a skeletal set of details from a history book before caricaturing the time, place and characters was a neat move, but it's not even pretending to be a recreation. I can't come close to constructing sentences as polished as their scriptwriters create, either with the profanity or otherwise. Those ********ers leave me ****ing awestruck.
NefariousSaint

Deadwood

Post by NefariousSaint »

HBO aired a documentary on how Milch writes the scripts. Very interesting to see someone that is a perfectionest like him. The one they showed him writing was a line for Al in a conversation with Adams in which he kept on saying it over and over and over until he felt that it fit the character perfectly. It's also strange that he will sometimes just throw in a scene during filming that just came to him off the top of his head.

Always enjoyed his writing from Hill Street Blues to NYPD Blue and now Deadwood. Sure I'll enjoy whatever project he creates next as well.
spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

Here's a couple of clippings about the language question:

Daily Star August 29, 2004

A TYPICAL episode of Deadwood features at least 63 F-words in one hour. And writer Milch, a Yale professor in 19th century literature, insists it's authentic.

Deadwood passed a law in 1878 in a bid to make profanity illegal, so the original pioneers must have been very foul-mouthed, says Mary Kopko, director of the Adams Museum in the real town of Deadwood.

Others disagree. Jesse Sheidlower, US editor of the Oxford English Dictionary and the scholar of cussing who wrote The F-Word, said. "There were cursing contests when cowboys would get together and insult each other. But the evidence that we have is that they were using more religious blasphemy than the sexual insults which are popular today."

Milch counters that swearwords are often used for years before they are recorded in dictionaries.

How can HBO get away with the profanity in a land that was totally outraged when Janet Jackson exposed a boob while performing with Justin Timberlake at the SuperBowl?

Answer: Because it's a cable channel and punters have to pay for the service.

Deadwood is filmed on the ranch of former cowboy star Gene Autry whose pictures never even had one "hell" or "damn" in them.

The Toronto Sun June 27, 2004

Q: I've enjoyed Deadwood on HBO, but I wonder about the "period authenticity" of some of the curse words. Were they really part of the lexicon during the late 1800s?

-- Dennis Koppo,

Elmhurst, Ill.

A: Deadwood creator David Milch, a former Yale professor who spent a year researching the period, insists that the profanity used in his hit series -- including that 10-letter compound "c-word" that seems to be Al Swearengen's (Ian McShane) favourite -- was indeed being used in the late 1800s when Deadwood is set.

Milch also cites period accounts from journalists and essayists who visited that part of the frontier and returned to report that many of the rough-hewn settlers used profanity that could curl your hair.

For the record, some historians warily acknowledge that the salty words may have been in at least limited use at the time Deadwood takes place, but they suggest Milch deliberately overuses them for dramatic effect.
CARLA

Deadwood

Post by CARLA »

TV doesn't get any better than this. I watch each episode at least 2 times so I don't miss one nuiance or inflection in their words, as they cuss and swear constantly... I love this show I will miss it greatly. :cool: Al is the man,each character has such depth I sit on the edge on my recliner ;) watching it weekly..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

Wonder of wonders....we see Al begin to demonstrate some humanity. He protected Trixie and he killed the whore "as gently" as he possibly could!

I'm going to miss these people....what'll happen with Joanie and Jane? Will the doc be alive in a year? What about Charlie? (His basic humanity touched me, really.) And Aunt Lou?

SIGH!
CARLA

Deadwood

Post by CARLA »

There is 1 more season right..???? Please tell me there is I will cry if there isn't. :-1To many loose ends open, no say it isn't so. :-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

spot

Deadwood

Post by spot »

You've seen series 3 episode 12? That's the last episode of the final series except there are two feature-length productions... scheduled? in development? being produced? I don't know the right word. Guaranteed to be made and shown, anyway. I'm sure they have no intention of leaving the story half-finished like this.
Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

Unless I'm wrong, Carla....I think there might be an end here.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/ar ... _1191.html

+++++++++++ Edited to say I'd LIKE to be wrong in this case!
CARLA

Deadwood

Post by CARLA »

How did I miss that notice...??? They must have a closing for these character. Frankly I want to see Hearst dead.. :D

Well I hope the Fall Season bring back "ROME" another one of my favorites..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

I love "Rome," too! I've heard there's only one more season (probably added due to the overwhelming success of the first.) I simply MUST know what happens to Pullo and Vorenus and I want to see Cleopatra and her maid again....oh, and Caesar's slave...the clever fellow. Not to mention Servilia!
CARLA

Deadwood

Post by CARLA »

Yes of course at first I wasn't sure about ROME but with each episode I became fan on a grand scale.. ;)

[QUOTE]Pullo and Vorenus

Do you watch the WIRE it new season starts this Sunday I think, very good TV as well.

My all time favorite show over the past few year was "SIX FEET UNDER" loved that show..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Lulu2

Deadwood

Post by Lulu2 »

"SIX FEET UNDER" was, beyond all doubt, one of the best series ever written.

I WEPT in the ending sequences....Claire driving into the future....sigh....

Should I watch "The Wire?" It hasn't seemed interesting....and heaven knows, I don't need another HBO addiction!

(Then there's "Lost.")
CARLA

Deadwood

Post by CARLA »

I felt the same till this last season. But its not for everyone I will see how the new season starts..;)

"SIX FEE UNDER" Is still being nominateed (SP) for awards my all time favorite as well. :cool:

Don't get me going on "LOST" love it.

[QUOTE]Should I watch "The Wire?" It hasn't seemed interesting....and heaven knows, I don't need another HBO addiction![/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

koan

Deadwood

Post by koan »

CARLA;389026 wrote: I sit on the edge on my recliner ;) watching it weekly..

:confused:

I've had a lot of fun imagining how that would look. :wah:

Just saw the first episode of season 1.

I don't mind being behind the times. I like being able to watch them when I choose instead of when the cable company tells me I need to sit down... on the edge of my recliner.

My brother and his entire family used to freak out every week when 24 came on. It was a film in itself just watching them assemble for the weekly hour.
spot

Re: Deadwood

Post by spot »

Speaking as we were of HBO, I've just seen the first quarter hour of House of the Dragon. It has all the toe-curling script, flat direction and dead performance values of a Star Trek Fan production, how on earth did it ever get commissioned in the first place. I'm astonished.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:56 pm Speaking as we were of HBO, I've just seen the first quarter hour of House of the Dragon. It has all the toe-curling script, flat direction and dead performance values of a Star Trek Fan production, how on earth did it ever get commissioned in the first place. I'm astonished.
There is a certain following for the GOT series, and the reading fanbase Mr Martin has built up over the years.
I was reading an article about literacy in the US, which claims that nearly half of high school graduates seldom read after the have finished school.
So TV, and film are the chief source of education and entertainment.
The fascination with all the Comic book characters being brought to the big screen bears this out. Even Comic books require a bit more critical reading skills than the average American seems to want to exercise, these days.

I managed to slog through two episodes of this new series, but it is far too predictable for my liking.

I think that my time might be better spent going back to the storage shed and digging out my old Anne McCaffrey books if I want to care about Dragons.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:56 pm Speaking as we were of HBO, I've just seen the first quarter hour of House of the Dragon. It has all the toe-curling script, flat direction and dead performance values of a Star Trek Fan production, how on earth did it ever get commissioned in the first place. I'm astonished.
And I'm not the only one, by the sound of this:
House of the Dragon feels almost like a fan-made project, rather than prestige TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-rings
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:31 am
House of the Dragon feels almost like a fan-made project, rather than prestige TV.

There are millions of GoT fans out there, it seems. They will take whatever is offered.

Apparently, it is the same for the Space Series, "The Expanse" that Amazon was running. there is quite a clamor for them to bring it back to cover the last three books.
I am hoping that effort fails, as I cannot imagine how they will pull it off, given that they killed off one of the key characters in the series due to the actor being caught up in some sort of scandal. rewriting around the now dead hero will prove quite difficult. Pleasing the fan base might prove too much of a challenge, there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:31 am

I doubt I'll watch it. But, some of the filming was done in my part of the world.

Return to “General TV Shows”