The Best.

Discuss all types of sports.
Lennox

The Best.

Post by Lennox »

What makes one player better than another? What makes a player the best? Is it stats? Is it wins? Is it championships? I ask these questions to say, Peyton Manning is known as the "best qb in the NFL" yet he has yet to even make it to the AFC championship. You have other qb's that have made it to the Super Bowl that don't get the recognition they deserve. I'm not talking about players with a quick flash of brilliance and then they disappear, you have McNabb, Brady, Vick, Palmer. All of these players have proven to be successful without the talent that Manning has surrounding him, so why is he the best? I'll give it to him, he's good but he's not the best. This year will prove to be his undoing since the threat of a run will be nonexistent, so the play action pass which has proven so useful in the past will be fruitless.
DesignerGal

The Best.

Post by DesignerGal »

Nice to see you again. How is everything?

HBIC
Lennox

The Best.

Post by Lennox »

DesignerGal wrote: Nice to see you again. How is everything?

Everything is o.k., I've just been trying to get ready to make my move back to Louisiana.
K.Snyder

The Best.

Post by K.Snyder »

Lennox wrote: What makes one player better than another? What makes a player the best? Is it stats? Is it wins? Is it championships? I ask these questions to say, Peyton Manning is known as the "best qb in the NFL" yet he has yet to even make it to the AFC championship. You have other qb's that have made it to the Super Bowl that don't get the recognition they deserve. I'm not talking about players with a quick flash of brilliance and then they disappear, you have McNabb, Brady, Vick, Palmer. All of these players have proven to be successful without the talent that Manning has surrounding him, so why is he the best? I'll give it to him, he's good but he's not the best. This year will prove to be his undoing since the threat of a run will be nonexistent, so the play action pass which has proven so useful in the past will be fruitless.

Peyton Manning has been seen in the eyes of a lot of people to be the best quarterback currently playing in the NFL. I personally believe that any one quarterback currently playing in the NFL cannot be labeled "the best", given the amount of quality quarterbacks in the National Football League. I also believe that Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, and Donavon McNabb are three of the top NFL quarterbacks in the league today (showing my favoritism, I would choose them in that order).

As far as Peyton Manning needing to have accomplishments, that unarguably are essential in a complete team effort, shouldn't be the determining factor in just how good of a quarterback he is. In all of the quarterbacks you have mentioned above, only one of them has a Superbowl ring(Brady).

If you want to go to the stat books in order to deem one better than the other, you will find that Peyton Manning has thrown for over 4,000 yards in six out of his eight years in the NFL, threw for a record breaking 49 touchdown passes in one season, as well as holds the most consecutive games played with a passer rating of over 100 at 9.(tied with Carson Palmer)

*to put 49 TD passes in one season in perspective - it is like breaking the current MLB home run record.

What sets Manning apart from a lot of QBs is the way he runs his offense. When he feels uncomfortable with the play given to him by his coaches, he is allowed to change that play to his liking, which has proven to be very successful for him and Indy. No other team has that kind of trust in their quarterback, with the exception of the Cincinnati Bengals with Carson Palmer.

Peyton is truly among the best in the NFL, and no one who has any knowledge of the game would argue it otherwise.

As far as Peyton Manning being the best quarterback to ever play the game, I think would be too premature as well as too bold of an opinion. He deffinetly has the potential to be the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL, but only in due time.

To sum up the whole accomplishments associated with talent -- It takes more than one person to win a championship. In-fact, it takes about 53 in the NFL.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”