~Tattoos~do you have any?~

Discuss knitting, embroidery, crocheting, and other types of creative needlework.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i thought this should go in the needlecraft forum. :D do you have a tattoo? what is it and more importantly, WHERE is it? here is mine exactly, it's on my right bicep............(i also have a shark and a dolphin.)

Attached files
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

OK OK......My first husband had a tattoo on his butt, (a set of lips). My current hubby has a knife/skull tatto on his shoulder(from his young-soldier days).

I don't have any tattoos on me, but I do have a scar on my chin from when I lived in Chicago.......................................I fell in school and my chin hit the teachers desk. Fourteen stitches.

FYI--Did not know about these tattoos until after I got to know the guys. OK?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Der Wulf

Post by Der Wulf »

Sorry, my lovely hide is for kissin, not stabbin with needles :eek: :yh_sick
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

No kidding, DW! LOL
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

LOL :yh_chickn :yh_chickn :yh_chickn ....well both of you have all that fur ...actually i used to think only trashy people got tattoos, but that perception has changed over the years. of course it's not for everyone...i waited until i was in my 30's and then made sure i didn't put them anywhere that would sag :eek:
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

OMG!!! Is there a part that doesn't sag eventually? Tell me where it is so I can pamper it now! :wah:

I agree that the perception of tattoos has changed. There are accountants who have them, and we're usually a conservative group. I think that's good for those who want them.

I'm just a wimp...no needles and dye in my skin, thankyouverymuch. I'd rather...ummm...mend my socks! :p
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

cops love them, and most i know have them, the big thing is barbed wire around the upper arm, and that's the women! it peeks out under our short-sleeved uniform. and i guess it is an implied threat.i don't care for the barbed wire, it is decidedly unfeminine to me. don't mind it on the guys. but to each their own. i do not expect shoulders and upper thigh and biceps to sag BTW!
valerie

Post by valerie »

Gonna hafta (shockerooni) disagree with LC... I don't have any tattoos

and wouldn't have any, I've never seen any that are good enough, I guess,

but they always just sort of look dirty to me...

Plus, with my long (33 years now!) history of being a blood donor, I'd

hate to take a chance and jeopardize that in any way... even for the

few months deferral they cause, if nothing else!

:yh_flower
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

you know VAL, that is a legitimate concern. needles and disease. hepatitis C especially. the parlors are closely inspected by health depts. but it is a worthy argument. as to the asthetic value, i find there are some very talented artists. prison and home-made tattoos are instantly recognizable and tacky and ugly. i can spot them a mile away, and we have a class in academy about gang tattoos, our "book" of gang tattoos is huge. and a whole other subject.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

All my friends were getting them and I never did. When I started to hang out with the punk culture a lot of them were getting tatooed. I didn't. Just about the only other guy in the culture that I knew that didn't have any was the leader of the culture in the city and province. He is not a leader per se but is respected for his opinions on many matters. Being the songwriter of the premier hardcore band in Toronto gave him a lot of say in where the culture moved to.

It was when we decided to turf the coke dealers out of the area that we realized that we are all on the same side, just have different ways of expressing ourselves.
minks

Post by minks »

pixiepet wrote: Tattoos are fine..... when you're in your prime...... sadly when people are in their seventies and beyond..... ooh, not a good look......

I for one love a decent tattoo

I own a pair of custom dragonflies on my lower mid back I wear them proudly as they signify the passing of the last of my irrational fears. (huge life accomplishments)

I have in the design studio (my sweet artist gal) a pair of foot prints that I will get on my abdomen signifying my daughters.

And my last a cartouche with 3 worthy symbols for my calf.

The bf sports a gorgeous custom dragon on his upper thigh and he is a total office guy and very few folks know he has this.

I love tasteful tattoos.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
busybee

Post by busybee »

One of my spur of the moment hangover episodes resulted in my having this quite large tribal design on the bottom of my back, it's meant to resemble a bull (my starsign - taurus). I forget it's there most of the time, but if i'm wearing a cropped top, which isn't often considering the typical scottish weather, it does attract some attention. It's very unusual. And yes it did hurt.....lots!
Raven

Post by Raven »

minks wrote: I for one love a decent tattoo

I own a pair of custom dragonflies on my lower mid back I wear them proudly as they signify the passing of the last of my irrational fears. (huge life accomplishments)

I have in the design studio (my sweet artist gal) a pair of foot prints that I will get on my abdomen signifying my daughters.

And my last a cartouche with 3 worthy symbols for my calf.

The bf sports a gorgeous custom dragon on his upper thigh and he is a total office guy and very few folks know he has this.

I love tasteful tattoos.
And baby, this one is gonna be cool! Almost done with your selection! :cool:
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
minks

Post by minks »

Raven wrote: And baby, this one is gonna be cool! Almost done with your selection! :cool:

That is Fabo girl, I am anxious to see it.

― Mae West
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

the biggest mistake i see is people getting tattoos of other peoples names...i knew a young lady who got kevin done in the small of her back and i knew she was going to regret it. well she sure did, and now she's stuck with it in 5" letters! she'd have to put an elephant over it to cover it.
Raven

Post by Raven »

lady cop wrote: the biggest mistake i see is people getting tattoos of other peoples names...i knew a young lady who got kevin done in the small of her back and i knew she was going to regret it. well she sure did, and now she's stuck with it in 5" letters! she'd have to put an elephant over it to cover it.
:yh_rotfl Thats one 'jumbo' of a mental picture!
minks

Post by minks »

Raven wrote: :yh_rotfl Thats one 'jumbo' of a mental picture!

makes you wonder about ones thought process in going ahead with that kind of silly commitment doesn't it.

I can't say it enough to people who talk to me about tattoos to put at least 1 year of thought into it before you commit. I worked with a 21 year old girl who wanted to put some kind of silly motto on her lower back that showed her devotion to her best friend and her best friend was going to do the same and I thought it silly as you never can be guaranteed you will remain best friends for life. She didn't listen to me, so when she went to the tattoo artist he said NO I won't do that, your young and things could change, go home and think it over and get real. He amazed me.

You gotta labor over it and put something on that is dear to your heart, and that will stick with you for life with a purpose. That is why I am going for my little foot prints, I will always be a mother to my precious daughters.

BTW folks Raven is designing this Tattoo for me. Sorry hun I had to boast, I can't wait to see the work :)

― Mae West
Raven

Post by Raven »

I just need to get the film developed. Coming right up!
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

I have three tattoos. I have a red devil on my right shoulder blade, which was done during my rebellious stage at the age of 17. I have Taz on the side of my right thigh/buttock and I have a design on my lower back. My only regret is the devil, but I love my other two. I understand people may judge me when they see them, but that's ok coz I have probably done that in the past too! :p
KnightDeBrian

Post by KnightDeBrian »

I have 11 tatoos. On my back theres a Grim reaper fighting a Leprechuan and my family crest and sheild.

On my right shoulder i have my Astrology sighn, Sagitarious and another Grim Reaper in a persuing pose.

On my right inner fore arm I have het again another Grim Reaper in a standing pose.

On my left shoulder I have a four leaf clover that says luck across it with a ribbon

and a leprechuean thats holding a staff. Also Ireland outline of the country with a ribbon that says Knight De Brian across it.

And last but not least I have a Celtic endless knot four-leaf clover on my stomach.
When I raise my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgement I will take vengence upon mine enemies. Oh, Lord raise me to thy right hand and count me among thy Saints.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

i have one, of a sort.

when i was about three years old, i decided to let the kitty out. i was holding a pencil in one hand, and it took both hands to turn the knob. somehow i managed to jab myself with that pencil HARD in the fat little area right beneath my left pinky ring.

that was 42 years ago. little grey spot is still there. using something sharp to push something with color under the skin is a tattoo, so i is has me a tattoo!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
minks

Post by minks »

anastrophe wrote: i have one, of a sort.

when i was about three years old, i decided to let the kitty out. i was holding a pencil in one hand, and it took both hands to turn the knob. somehow i managed to jab myself with that pencil HARD in the fat little area right beneath my left pinky ring.

that was 42 years ago. little grey spot is still there. using something sharp to push something with color under the skin is a tattoo, so i is has me a tattoo!

Yep you are tattoood' too

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

u knoe just as I posted that reply I had to laugh, I get it why our tattoo site is in "needle" crafts

Gawd I am slow.

~~Caution, stepping into my mind may cause you to loose your way~~

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I never was into Tattoos. All my mates had got some done on their arms and legs. Eire Free, IRA 4 Ever, Fcuk the Brits back in the 1970s/80s. It just was not my thing.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

capt_buzzard wrote: Fcuk the Brits you mean you don't want a union jack on your arm like mine? :D

Attached files
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Try the St Patrick's Standard, that's my flag

Attached files
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

I've got four, and plenty of room for more.

I have a flying dragon in a fighting stance on my right side just below my shoulder. It was my first and is about 12" long by about 6" wide. I got it when I broke free from my first marriage and a very controlling religion. I was 27.

My second is a keltic design, of a 2 headed stone dragon face to face with itself with the sun behind it. That's when I came face to face with who I really was. It's wrapped around my right arm above the bicep but below the shoulder. I was 29 or 30.

My 3rd was done on 9-10-2001. I had put my second wife's name on a banner wrapped around a heart with horns on my left chest. The next day the world trade center was destroyed. Yup, it's my fault. Marriage is over and now the banner is a snake. DO NOT PUT NAMES ON YOUR SKIN!!!

My 4th is another dragon, holding a crystal ball and lookin really pissed off, like he seen the future and did not like it. It is on my left arm wrapped around the bicep. I had forseen my grandmothers death by a year and a half and was off by one day, I forsaw my aunt with some encounter with death and the week I predicted it she had 8 strokes, but she is still alive today. I got the tattoo when I forsaw my own demise. I'll keep the date to myself. But I got the tat last year.
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
minks

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: I never was into Tattoos. All my mates had got some done on their arms and legs. Eire Free, IRA 4 Ever, Fcuk the Brits back in the 1970s/80s. It just was not my thing.

Or kermit the frog chirping out "it's keen to be green"

Sorry cap'n I could not resist that one. :yh_giggle

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

tmbsgrl wrote: I don't have any Tattoos.. I am scared of needles! That & I don't want to be 90 years old with a droopy tattoo! lol
That is why you have them stratigically placed huh heh heh ;)

― Mae West
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

I have a turtle on his back with the peace sign..then a dolphin - my sister has a mirrored image of it on her thigh also...I also have a breast cancer ribbon on my breast that was removed in 2001...Thats my favorite...I actually wanted it on my shiny head when I was going through chemo but the guy wouldn't do it --LOL I actually don't think they are "per say DIRTY" mine are very pretty and I am very proud of them....shhhhhhhhhh ok a little proud..my mother-n-law has never seen um! :)

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
minks

Post by minks »

mominiowa wrote: I have a turtle on his back with the peace sign..then a dolphin - my sister has a mirrored image of it on her thigh also...I also have a breast cancer ribbon on my breast that was removed in 2001...Thats my favorite...I actually wanted it on my shiny head when I was going through chemo but the guy wouldn't do it --LOL I actually don't think they are "per say DIRTY" mine are very pretty and I am very proud of them....shhhhhhhhhh ok a little proud..my mother-n-law has never seen um! :)

you go girl. Sorry about your loss to cancer. My mother is a recent survivor of breast cancer sadly though is living on alert now for the rest of her life but like yourself she still has her life. Horrah for all cancer survivors praise to you all.

― Mae West
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

well i almost had a tattoo 5 years ago of a iguana on my bum, thankfully i dident go through with it, i cant imagine anything more awful now

funny how we change, my daughter has a tattoo on her shoulder she wishes she'd never had done, i dont actually know anyone who is proud of a tattoo they have that is over 10 years old, a friend of mine once admitted to decieving people that he dident regret having his tattoo's,further to that he wouldent advise anyone against not having one, i guess for some people its just to difficult to admit they made a mistake, some kind of male pride thing, apparently its seen as being some (coming of age thing) or (rebellion) being tattoo'd, who are you rebelling against? bizzarre concept to me but each to there own, just my two cents worth, not intended to upset anyone, just my thoughts on tattoo's
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

Buttercup...:) I have a tattoo that is almost 15 years old and I am still very proud of it! :) Just my opinion~ Have a good day!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i totally respect your opinion & think its great that you have a tattoo that you still love, my only concern is for the ones who have a tattoo too young & regret it later as (well what can you do about it) im sure you agree that often it is the case young people are mislead into thinking its a great thing to do only to find out later its not so great, that was the point i was making, unfortunatelly tattoos will always be a contriversial subject, but hey it would be a real boring world if we all agreed
minks

Post by minks »

buttercup wrote: i totally respect your opinion & think its great that you have a tattoo that you still love, my only concern is for the ones who have a tattoo too young & regret it later as (well what can you do about it) im sure you agree that often it is the case young people are mislead into thinking its a great thing to do only to find out later its not so great, that was the point i was making, unfortunatelly tattoos will always be a contriversial subject, but hey it would be a real boring world if we all agreed

hehehe I just barely got number 2 healed and have number 3 in my head ahahahaha stop me now

― Mae West
Majenta

Post by Majenta »

I have two tattoos that I love, one of a celtic knot on my lower back, and one of a little dragon on my right hip. I designed them both and although I realise one day whenI'm old they'll look nasty, I still don't think I'll regret them because they're a symbol of who I am now. The dragon is called Jose after the drummer from Incubus cos he's so awesome! heehee!
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I have two a little rose bud on my right ankle and a heart with a arrow on my right shoulder. hubby has a tiger on his shoulder if i had the bottle id have a union jack and Made in England written underneath- but i dont - have the bottle coz it hurts and im a coward :)
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
lou-lou

Post by lou-lou »

I'm gonna have one done for my 40th (got a couple of years to go!) I have thought about getting one for the last 20 years but have always chickened out. So have decided to treat myself to one on my 40th :yh_nailbi :yh_nailbi :

Well they do say life begins at 40:-6 :yh_party
minks

Post by minks »

lou-lou wrote: I'm gonna have one done for my 40th (got a couple of years to go!) I have thought about getting one for the last 20 years but have always chickened out. So have decided to treat myself to one on my 40th :yh_nailbi :yh_nailbi :

Well they do say life begins at 40:-6 :yh_party

bravo got my first at 41 after 10 years of thought hehehehe

I have a pair of dragon flies mid back

and on my thigh a stone tablet with who I am on it, a maple leaf for being canadian, footprints of both my daughters and goddess for being female. Both co designed by me and the tattoo artist. My third idea is to somehow incorpporate my mothers name into the pink breast cancer ribbon as she is a current survivor of the disease.

― Mae West
Bez

Post by Bez »

I'm 57 and have wanted a tattoo for many years....never had the courage (worried about catching something). I still have the picture I wanted....a humming bird hovering over a tiny flower....WHERE on my bod to have it done is the big question. My daughter and grand daughter have theirs about waistline level on their backs. I know a lot of girls that have beautiful delicate tattoos but I've also seen some that are really grosse. Picking the right place to go to have it done is another dilema, but there are quite a few choices round here. Given the comments about 'sagging Grannies'....LOL....should I or shouldn't I. I have quite a high pain threshold (except at the dentist) so no worries there.

Bez :confused:
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

Post by minks »

Bez wrote: I'm 57 and have wanted a tattoo for many years....never had the courage (worried about catching something). I still have the picture I wanted....a humming bird hovering over a tiny flower....WHERE on my bod to have it done is the big question. My daughter and grand daughter have theirs about waistline level on their backs. I know a lot of girls that have beautiful delicate tattoos but I've also seen some that are really grosse. Picking the right place to go to have it done is another dilema, but there are quite a few choices round here. Given the comments about 'sagging Grannies'....LOL....should I or shouldn't I. I have quite a high pain threshold (except at the dentist) so no worries there.

Bez :confused:

thigh, mid back, shoulder all good calf too but... you can't cover that up at 80 hehehehehe

go for it hun, sagging grannie effect was my issue at 41 also hehehehehe

― Mae West
lou-lou

Post by lou-lou »

I haven't decided what to have done but have started looking at designs, Bf might design me one as he's pretty good at art!!

Have got a while yet so am gonna choose carefully:-4
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Always wanted tattoos as a kid and against good advice had one on each forearm as a teenager. When my Gran died, I used the £5 she left me in her will and had her name "Laura" on my upper arm. The idea was that everytime I saw it I would think of her. 25 years on that still works although eventually you don't even notice your own tattoos. As tattoos create a predjudice, I have lived to regret those on my forearms which are harder to conceal. After years of being asked how my wife at the time felt about me having "Laura" tattooed on my arm, that was finally laid to rest when my daughter was named Laura

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN

Return to “Needlecrafts”