Warren Jeffs Arrested, FINALLY!

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

With all of the attention showered on gay marriage, I've never understood why Warren Jeffs & his band of middle aged perverts were able to get away with child rape & ripping off the governent for as long as they did & with practically no national outrage. This guy, Jeffs, was the self proclaimed "prophet" of the FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) church. He basically ran the towns of Hilldale, Utah & Colorado City, Arizona as a dictator. He ruled the police department, the schools, all the businesses, etc........ The faithful were expected to keep a portrait of Jeffs on prominent display in their homes & turn over their adolescent daughters at Jeffs' demand. 13 & 14 year old girls were taken from their homes & forced into polygamist marriages with men in their 40's & 50's. They were subjected to rape & expected to give birth to a child every year. Since plural marriage is illegal in the U.S., these girls were considered single parents & were eligible for welfare benefits. Jeffs was able to subsidize this lifestyle by ripping off the federal governement & letting them/us pay for his lifestyle.

He was placed on the FBI's 10 most wanted list in May of '06, with a $100,000 bounty on information leading to his arrest.

He was arrested during a routine traffic stop near Las Vegas as a passenger in a 2007 Cadillac Escalade, that retails at nearly $55,000 for a base model.

Police recovered:

15 cell phones,,Walkie-talkies, A police scanner, Laptop computers, Wigs, Sunglasses , Credit cards, & At least $54,000 in cash.

A duffel bag recovered from the SUV was stuffed with unopened envelopes that may contain even more money.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

That hit the aussie papers this morning too. I hope he is put away for a long time. I am also wicked enough to hope he will be forceably plurally married for the rest of his unnatural life behind bars.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ah it's nice to see you Floppy!!! Grin.

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

I had never heard of the dude until yesterday. One wonders how he got away with it, but hey, when the mayor - or was it the chief of police - or both - of the little town where he lived is part of the cult, I suppose that helped.

The defense will, I imagine, be freedom of religion.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

The Church of Latter Day Saints distanced themselves from this wingnut a long time ago, but there are many "outlaw" polygamists living quietly "under the radar." What's especially irritating to me is that so many of them claim the women are unmarried, so they can obtain welfare for their "fatherless" children.

Funny...I thought fraud and theft were against commandments!

These poor women/girls have been as brainwashed as any POW.

Did you know there's a sizeable community of Mormons in Mexico? They went there to continue their lifestyle after polygamy was made illegal in the States.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Lulu2 wrote: T

These poor women/girls have been as brainwashed as any POW.

Did you know there's a sizeable community of Mormons in Mexico? They went there to continue their lifestyle after polygamy was made illegal in the States.

Why wouldn't they, Lulu?!! There are other threads here about how people create religions to serve their own needs and agendas and then impose them by physical or mental manipulation on others weaker than they are. Let's keep women silent in church, completely dependent and subservient. Let's make people with different coloured skins into lesser humans so we can buy and sell them as possessions. A patriarch could kind of get to like being not only Lord and Master of all he surveys, but he'll have slaves to plant his fields, servants to peel his grapes - and he can legally bed any and every nubile girl child he fancies. Why wouldn't they, Lulu????

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AussiePam wrote: Why wouldn't they, Lulu?!! There are other threads here about how people create religions to serve their own needs and agendas and then impose them by physical or mental manipulation on others weaker than they are. Let's keep women silent in church, completely dependent and subservient. Let's make people with different coloured skins into lesser humans so we can buy and sell them as possessions. A patriarch could kind of get to like being not only Lord and Master of all he surveys, but he'll have slaves to plant his fields, servants to peel his grapes - and he can legally bed any and every nubile girl child he fancies. Why wouldn't they, Lulu????

Ya gotta admit there are a few women it would be nice to silence. Calm down just kidding.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

YZGI wrote: Ya gotta admit there are a few women it would be nice to silence. Calm down just kidding.

Grin. Why do I suddenly think of Stepford Wives???

Jives

Post by Jives »

There was a group of teens protesting in Salt Lake City the other day. They seemed normal and well-adjusted. But I thought, "If you were raised that way, how would you know what is well-adjusted or not?"

Are the kids just brainwashed? Indoctrinated? And if they are and they are well-fed, educated, and happy, what's wrong with that? I don't agree with Catholic practices much, but I certainly wouldn't tell them how to live.

Jeff's bunch is another story. He lives near me, just to the West. When you start marrying 13 year olds, you've crossed the line. How could anyone that young make those kinds of decisions?

What he is is a 'spruced-up" version of a child molester. He's got nice pretty colors, but he's just a common statutory rapist in the final verdict. I hope they throw the book at him.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

Lulu2 wrote: The Church of Latter Day Saints distanced themselves from this wingnut a long time ago, but there are many "outlaw" polygamists living quietly "under the radar."

The LDS church often turns the other cheek to polygamy in Utah. There is actually a lot more polygamy in Utah than most people realize. It's the same story, have a ton of kids with several different women, then screw the system for money, claiming these young women are head of household with no other means of support. It's when the feds get involved that these guys get nailed.

I totally agree with you on the welfare issue. Colorado City, Arizona raked in millions in one year yet only paid a couple of thousand $$ in taxes. Quite the scam they had running there. Able to indulge in pedophilia & serial aldultery & live a comfortable life style thanks to the federal government. I hope Jeffs rots in jail for the rest of his miserable natural life.:mad:
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Jeffs was a pervert that led a cult for his own desires.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

LIZ "I hope Jeffs rots in jail for the rest of his miserable natural life."

+++++++++++++++ I hope he gets married again...to "BUBBA AND THE BOYS!":wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

And again. And again ....................

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(Hey, BUBBA.....here's a NEWBIE for you & the boys! He enabled sex for old men with little girls! :sneaky: )
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

Lulu2 wrote: LIZ I hope he gets married again...to "BUBBA AND THE BOYS!":wah:

:confused: You would wish that on Bubba?:confused:

LOL!:D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Oh, yes! I think Bubba could show Jeffie how REAL power looks!

+++++++++++ Edited to add this link to an interesting discussion of LDS/marital arrangements.

http://www.absalom.com/mormon/polygamy/faq.htm
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

Read this nutty defense of polygamy. Note the writer can't even spell properly.:rolleyes:

http://www.absalom.com/mormon/polygamy/legalize.htm
seekerw

Post by seekerw »

Lizard Lips wrote: The LDS church often turns the other cheek to polygamy in Utah. There is actually a lot more polygamy in Utah than most people realize. It's the same story, have a ton of kids with several different women, then screw the system for money, claiming these young women are head of household with no other means of support. It's when the feds get involved that these guys get nailed.

I'm a Mormon, so I know a bit about this subject. The LDS church excommunicates any of its members found practicing polygamy, so it really has no business getting involved in any polygamous matters in Utah, Mexico, or anywhere else.

While it's despicable for polygamists to take advantage of the system and bilk taxpayers out of millions of dollars for support, I don't see how this is any different from any so-called "monogamist" guy impregnating various women and letting the state support the children.

Return to “Current Events”