Are We Drugging Our Children Too Much?

theia

Post by theia »

I'm a "don't know" on this one, although I think medication can play an important part when combined with other forms of therapy.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Too many medicines and too little dirt.

Keep them too sterile and they build up no tollerence.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia wrote: I'm a "don't know" on this one, although I think medication can play an important part when combined with other forms of therapy.

When it's needed it's essential - but handing it out like popcorn is counter-productive.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

theia wrote: I'm a "don't know" on this one, although I think medication can play an important part when combined with other forms of therapy.

I agree with my friend Theia :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

helefra wrote: Excellent answer BM, I'm with you on that one. I believe that medicine should only be used if someone has a fever and needs antibiotics. To create medicines to cure other things then goes beyond the care of the patient itself.

What about bipolar disorder? Depression? Or any other mental/emotional condition?
Live Life with

PASSION

zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

One of my boys was diagnosed with full blown Big D depression, OCD and Tourettes when he was 8 years old. He has been on Zoloft since then. He is now 24 and is doing great. The medication was one of the best events in his life. I don't know if he would still be with us without it. I am very greatful it is available. I do agree it needs to be carefully given and monitored. Therapy and behaivior modification treatment have also helped a lot with the Tourettes and OCD.:-6
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Zink --

Thanks for sharing that personal story with us.

Helefra --

I respect your right to your opinion re: mental/emotional drugs, even though I disagree with your viewpoint. I also agree with you that we should *not* get into a debate about it here, so I will respect your wishes and not do that :-6

You're still my friend :)
Live Life with

PASSION

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tmbsgrl wrote: I simply put an "I don't know" It seems there is a pill for everything. I don't even like our daughter taking medication for a simple cold.. I couldn't see giving her 2-3 pills a day.. My friends kids have that ADHD & they are drugged big time.. If they don't have the medication in their system then they are very very hyper. Honestly I think it can be controlled off the drugs.. the parents just need to keep a close eye on their children.

Mostly by clearing the system of drugs and changing the diet.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Honestly I think doctors are too quick to diagnose ADHD with children. Sometimes I think it's the child's environment that's keeping him distracted not some chemical inbalance. For example, my nephew, the school was wanting my sisternlaw to take him to a doctor to see if he had ADHD. She took him to a Sullivan Learning Center instead and had him tested. Turned out he was reading above his grade level, so he was getting bored and distracted in class. She had a meeting with his teacher, explained the results and they came up with a plan to help keep him interested in class. No problems since then. Don't get me wrong though, I do think there are cases out their of ADHD, it's just that I find it's diagnosed to often.

I'm like Tmbsgirl in the fact I do not like to give my kids lots of OTC products either. If my chldren are just running a low grade fever, I let it go. Fevers are just a sign the body is fighting an infection. Sometimes I think it's best to let nature run it's course. I think it helps build a stronger immune system.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm sure it's overprescribed for kids just as it is for adults. That said, this:

But Norwich PCT is looking at other ways of tackling health problems, such as providing people with the opportunity to express their feelings and thoughts through the creative arts rather than relying on drugs.

sounds a little too much like "if we let them make baskets, they won't be as crazy." As someone familiar with mental health I take offense to that. Mental health is not "all in a person's head."

We had "Ritalin kids" when I was in school even in the 70s. There was a big issue about it then too. I think if a child needs Rx to be healthy then give it to him however I also think our technology based environment (computers, Gameboys, X-Box, etc) has something to do with these problems. What happened to letting kids play in the dirt? How about Cops & Robbers? Cowboys & Indians? Bike riding? How about getting rid of that excess energy by letting kids be kids?
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

RedGlitter wrote: I'm sure it's overprescribed for kids just as it is for adults. That said, this:

But Norwich PCT is looking at other ways of tackling health problems, such as providing people with the opportunity to express their feelings and thoughts through the creative arts rather than relying on drugs.

sounds a little too much like "if we let them make baskets, they won't be as crazy." As someone familiar with mental health I take offense to that. Mental health is not "all in a person's head."

We had "Ritalin kids" when I was in school even in the 70s. There was a big issue about it then too. I think if a child needs Rx to be healthy then give it to him however I also think our technology based environment (computers, Gameboys, X-Box, etc) has something to do with these problems. What happened to letting kids play in the dirt? How about Cops & Robbers? Cowboys & Indians? Bike riding? How about getting rid of that excess energy by letting kids be kids?

I agree Red. We have a playstation 2 but noone ever plays it. I encouarge my son to play and use his imagination.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
minks

Post by minks »

I am with Bryn 100% on this.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I haven't had time to read all this thread, I am literally flying out the door to take my son to see a Doctor who can diagnose my son with Aspergers/Autism. I saw him two months ago, he said my sons meets all the criteria but he won't actually diagnose :-5

His answer was to put my son on medication, Respiridone, a sedative :-1

What is wrong with these doctors?

After researching the drug on the net I was horrified by all the side affects! And there haven't been enough studies on Autistic children to be conclusive.

My son has problems dealing with his emotions now, if he's sedated how's he going to deal with them? So is the idea we shove all these children quietly in the corner then they're not a problem anymore.

I figure the doctor won't be very happy with me today as I have refused point blank to put my son on these drugs, he's nine, we start with this now what the hell is he going to be on at 16!

So............ in my opinion, doctors are far to quick to prescribe to our children.

rant over got to go!
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

As a dad with an eight year old I keep my boys sugar and caffeine intakes to a minimum. I have noticed no hyperactivity in either of them. I think lack of exercise and poor diet is the major contributor to so called hyperactivity. Many schools have all but cut out PE classes these days.

Since this thread seems to mostyly be about ADHD I think these kids have definelty been over medicated. Medication should be one of the final resorts not the first. As others have said there is a problem with tired, stressed out parents (or lazy ones) having the energy to parent thier kids. :-1
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
koan

Post by koan »

The jump to medication is far too quick, imo.

Having some knowledge of herbs and vitamin use, a lot of issues can be dealt with in natural ways. I use doctors to find out what is wrong then figure out how to fix it in other ways. I've personally seen children misdiagnosed and overdosed. It is very sad.

My daughter was suspected of depression disorder. Her father has it. I told them she was just imitating behaviour that she grew up with and had a talk with her. She is fine now.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

zinkyusa wrote: Since this thread seems to mostly be about ADHD I think these kids have definelty been over medicated. Medication should be one of the final resorts not the first. As others have said there is a problem with tired, stressed out parents (or lazy ones) having the energy to parent thier kids. :-1This report of the Adelaide trial http://www.equazen.com/default.aspx?pid=337 shows how supplements with 6 x eye q capsules per day is more effective than RITALIN in controlling ADHD. For those who find eyeq expensive there are other firms offering high strength omega 3 at cheaper prices.

Hopefully when they make ADHD drugs to carry new warnings about psychotic behavior http://www.newstarget.com/020080.html it will show parents to dangers they are forcing on their children.
theia

Post by theia »

I suppose I'm talking more about adults here than children, but I tend to think that if people have confidence in the effectiveness of a particular medication, then this would probably be the route for them to follow. I think the confidence issue applies to any form of treatment.

In the case of children I suppose treatment would depend more on the parents' belief or confidence as to which form of treatment they would choose for their children
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

theia wrote: I suppose I'm talking more about adults here than children, but I tend to think that if people have confidence in the effectiveness of a particular medication, then this would probably be the route for them to follow. I think the confidence issue applies to any form of treatment. That explains why the placebo effect is so strong.

This research investigates the relationship between placebo and drug treatment for IBS http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_DocSum

and why hypnotherapy can make a difference to many people.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”