Is it just paranoia?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Going to post this question here as it is just that "a question" LOL

As I had stated earlier on in the introduction, I do belong to few other forums. Only in one am I known by my real name.

When I first learned about the internet I always used my real name, and was promptly asked "What is your real name?" I didn't know different :-3

This month I joined a very small forum for the only reason my Man is a member there.

I post simple to say Good Morning and the odd Congrats. Any other time I mostly read and learn.

Then I joined here, saw the forum when my friend Debb signed up. I Liked the athmosphere and variety of topics.

Now we all know about internet security, spyware etc. I will get to my question :confused:

Anyways there's a g'zillion of forums out there, so now what are the chances of a person using the exact same username to sign up to the two forums I happen to be at?

Last night while working on the computer I had the two forums open, but was not signed in. Low and behold I notice a new user signed up at the other forum. That' a ood thing!

After a while I come here, hit reload to see if there was anything new..guess what "new user" exact same name. Now with a name like that it can not be a coincidence......I think ...

Is there any chance that anyone could have picked up my IP somewhere and somehow trace it all over the net and follow me?

Yes I do know my IP is all in the open to anywhere I visit on the web and any place I might have signed up to. I used to be a Mod, and the ex was an admin on another forum :wah: I am banned there now..go figure..I'm so hurtin' :wah:

What would creep me out all the way if there was actually a way of IP tracing availabe to anyone out there....by tracing I mean, input the IP and see where it has been used.

Not like in a spy program put on the computer to watch what others are doing. I dislike that one to the utmost....my ex used it on me. Watched everything I did, that's beside the point, but I had to say it anyways. Also am not talking about a Trace Route.

It just kinda freaked me out for that to happen, with that username.

So much for a ramble on eh?! Hope anyone knows what I am talking about here LOL
minks

Is it just paranoia?

Post by minks »

white_rose wrote: Going to post this question here as it is just that "a question" LOL

As I had stated earlier on in the introduction, I do belong to few other forums. Only in one am I known by my real name.

When I first learned about the internet I always used my real name, and was promptly asked "What is your real name?" I didn't know different :-3

This month I joined a very small forum for the only reason my Man is a member there.

I post simple to say Good Morning and the odd Congrats. Any other time I mostly read and learn.

Then I joined here, saw the forum when my friend Debb signed up. I Liked the athmosphere and variety of topics.

Now we all know about internet security, spyware etc. I will get to my question :confused:

Anyways there's a g'zillion of forums out there, so now what are the chances of a person using the exact same username to sign up to the two forums I happen to be at?

Last night while working on the computer I had the two forums open, but was not signed in. Low and behold I notice a new user signed up at the other forum. That' a ood thing!

After a while I come here, hit reload to see if there was anything new..guess what "new user" exact same name. Now with a name like that it can not be a coincidence......I think ...

Is there any chance that anyone could have picked up my IP somewhere and somehow trace it all over the net and follow me? HELL YA

Yes I do know my IP is all in the open to anywhere I visit on the web and any place I might have signed up to. I used to be a Mod, and the ex was an admin on another forum :wah: I am banned there now..go figure..I'm so hurtin' :wah:

What would creep me out all the way if there was actually a way of IP tracing availabe to anyone out there....by tracing I mean, input the IP and see where it has been used.

Not like in a spy program put on the computer to watch what others are doing. I dislike that one to the utmost....my ex used it on me. Watched everything I did, that's beside the point, but I had to say it anyways. Also am not talking about a Trace Route.

It just kinda freaked me out for that to happen, with that username.

So much for a ramble on eh?! Hope anyone knows what I am talking about here LOL

IP tracing is easily available.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

Just because your paranoid doesnt mean theyre not out to get you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

minks wrote: IP tracing is easily available.
Thank you! Yes the 'who is' 'trace route' and all of those.

Maybe I need to rephrase my question.

Can a person who only has my IP, does not know me (I think), nor do I know them.

Other then by a goverment agency, is there such a program out there, where the IP can be entered and it'll show every place I have been via internet?

No I don't want it, don't want to know anyones IP, don't even want to know thename of such a program if it exists.

That would be called Stalking....not in to that at all. I love freedom and believe everyone esle should enjoy the same right.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

No, no not two white roses....the user who signed up goes under a different name, but the same here and at the other forum I belong to.
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

I am a ninja you know. Want me to kick someones ass ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Is it just paranoia?

Post by chonsigirl »

*taking a number*

Not!
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

If I knew for sure, I'd be doing some butt kicking.
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

white_rose wrote: If I knew for sure, I'd be doing some butt kicking.

Are you a ninjette ? If not better leave it to the professionals
I AM AWESOME MAN
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

No not a ninjette, just pretty sure that when it's either them or me..I'll do everything in my power for it not to be me.

I'm just starting to live.
vampress.rozz

Is it just paranoia?

Post by vampress.rozz »

Hi White Rose I was just wondering whether you had clicked on their public profile in both forums to see if their details were exactly the same. Sounds very creepy. With billions of people on the internet it would seem highly possible for two people looking for the same sort of site to click on the exact same link at the same time though so it may just be coincidence
Blessed be.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

vampress.rozz, the other forum has view profile disabled, and in here the person gave no details.

The possibilty exists for it to be coincidence. I hope to think so, since I am a person who always looks for the good in people no matter who they may be.
vampress.rozz

Is it just paranoia?

Post by vampress.rozz »

I like the way you think about other people. If it is anything more sinister maybe the fact that you have picked up on it may be enough to deter them. :)
Blessed be.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Thank you vampress.rozz!

The way I see the media feeds us enough horror, sadness and all that cute stuff.

I see it, read it, acknowledge it and then turn to the unwritten page, where good outweighs the bad.

On that page is where I hope to see myself, always helping others, even my enemy.

Live by "Don't teach by preaching, teach by example"
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

white_rose wrote: No not a ninjette, just pretty sure that when it's either them or me..I'll do everything in my power for it not to be me.

Ok well I do offer FG member discounted ninja lessons just so you know. By the end of my course you will be able to do this.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Nomad wrote: Ok well I do offer FG member discounted ninja lessons just so you know. By the end of my course you will be able to do this.
...and now for the paper towels, to wipe off the monitor...it resembles the art of coffee splatters, by yours truly.
Marie5656

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Marie5656 »

I have been on forums where names are similar to people I have met elsewhere, but not the same person.

I don't know about the ninja warrior thing. I shall leave that to the experts.
Marie5656

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Marie5656 »

have you considered PMing the person, just with the light hearted message of "you know funny thing..I met someone on another forum with the same user name. Is that you?". Just to see what they say.
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

Marie5656 wrote: I have been on forums where names are similar to people I have met elsewhere, but not the same person.

I don't know about the ninja warrior thing. I shall leave that to the experts.

Smart move Marie.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Marie5656, good idea Thank you!

Nomad, I feel so much stronger already, by just watching the anomation LOL
Marie5656

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Marie5656 »

white_rose wrote: Marie5656, good idea Thank you!

Nomad, I feel so much stronger already, by just watching the anomation LOL

You are very welcome.

Ahh..Nomad, our little ninja warrior.:-4
cherandbuster

Is it just paranoia?

Post by cherandbuster »

I wanna be a ninjette :cool:
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

cherandbuster wrote: I wanna be a ninjette :cool:

I know I'm a newbie :D but...cherandbuster..

I Dub you officially "Lady Ninjette" :)
Marie5656

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Marie5656 »

white_rose wrote: I know I'm a newbie :D but...cherandbuster..

Note to self: This one is a keeper. Definatly will fit in here.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

:driving: What can I say...I like the people, discussions and athmosphere on this forum.

Now where are my manners :thinking: a great friend of mine thaught me. When you receive a compliment, just say ...

"Thank You!"
cherandbuster

Is it just paranoia?

Post by cherandbuster »

Ms. Rose --

Thank you my new friend!!:guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Lulu2

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Lulu2 »

Interesting that you brought up this question of how "trackable" someone might be on the internet. A friend of mine (who shall be nameless here) has been stalked for years on the internet by a nut case she innocently befriended in the past.

This stalker somehow finds her on message boards and we're stumped as to how she does it. (Yes, the stalker is a she.) Normal people don't understand the thrill a stalker gets by pursuing their prey and finally finding them, making their world seem smaller and less enjoyable.

I wonder about this....
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Crème brûlée

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Crème brûlée »

white_rose wrote: No not a ninjette, just pretty sure that when it's either them or me..I'll do everything in my power for it not to be me.

are you a potatoe? :-4

Washington State produces both round whites and long whites. They have smooth white or off-white skins and white flesh with few and shallow eyes. These potatoes have less starch than russets and work well in a variety of preparations: boiling, steaming, mashing, baking, roasting and in casseroles (scalloped and au gratin), soups and salads.

White Rose — large, long and slightly flattened with smooth skin, deeper eyes and white flesh. Cascade — more oblong, making it the perfect shape from which to cut fries. Its smooth white skin may have some slight cracking.
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Lulu2 wrote: Interesting that you brought up this question of how "trackable" someone might be on the internet. A friend of mine (who shall be nameless here) has been stalked for years on the internet by a nut case she innocently befriended in the past.

This stalker somehow finds her on message boards and we're stumped as to how she does it. (Yes, the stalker is a she.) Normal people don't understand the thrill a stalker gets by pursuing their prey and finally finding them, making their world seem smaller and less enjoyable.

I wonder about this....
Thank you Lulu, that's just the odd thing about this. There must be some kind of tracking IP system out there. I have PM'd this person and for some reason don't expect an answer, as I have exposed it here.

Now for your friend, as well as for me.....

My ex for example watched me with a spy program called Spector. I had no idea it was there until of course he tld me he was great at computers and new his way around them ie hacking in to.

Hah..right on...was not until I left him the first time he admited to having the program on there...great hacker eh?

I am almost certain I have not communicated with him on this computer, but am not sure anymore. Have used probaly about 4 different comps. When I first left him this time he tried for me to come back again.....in any case what I'm trying to get at is this...

If your friend in any way had email contact with the stalker. This program and I am sure there is others out there aswell who will do the same.

The person in question can send an innocent looking email with a picture attached or nothing at all.....so it seems....but very silently attached in stealth mode is the spy program. Trust me, there is absolutely no way anyone can find it on the computer anywhere. I tried! He used to laugh and say to me...."boy you are really desperate to find it on the computer" He was watching everything I did right from his office computer....the program allowed him to set it so that everything I did was sent to him via email.

Scary isn't it!
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

Crème brûlée wrote: are you a potatoe? :-4

Washington State produces both round whites and long whites. They have smooth white or off-white skins and white flesh with few and shallow eyes. These potatoes have less starch than russets and work well in a variety of preparations: boiling, steaming, mashing, baking, roasting and in casseroles (scalloped and au gratin), soups and salads.

White Rose — large, long and slightly flattened with smooth skin, deeper eyes and white flesh. Cascade — more oblong, making it the perfect shape from which to cut fries. Its smooth white skin may have some slight cracking.

:driving: Crème brûlée :D with the exception of some slight cracking of the skin LOL
vampress.rozz

Is it just paranoia?

Post by vampress.rozz »

white_rose wrote: My ex for example watched me with a spy program called Spector. I had no idea it was there until of course he tld me he was great at computers and new his way around them ie hacking in to.

The person in question can send an innocent looking email with a picture attached or nothing at all.....so it seems....but very silently attached in stealth mode is the spy program. Trust me, there is absolutely no way anyone can find it on the computer anywhere. I tried! He used to laugh and say to me...."boy you are really desperate to find it on the computer" He was watching everything I did right from his office computer....the program allowed him to set it so that everything I did was sent to him via email.

Scary isn't it!
Wow scary stuff. I'd never heard of this type of program before so I looked it up. I held my breath while reading it. Anyway heres a link to info about it in case anyone else wants to read.http://www.spectorsoft.com/products/Spe ... index.html
Blessed be.
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

Could this be bleached out ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

NO ! She cant just be dubbed a ninjette ! God ! She must go through rigorous and very calculated "ninjette" training. At least I dont know like 20 minutes. Ninjettes dont just grow on trees ya know. :rolleyes:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: Alright, I'm getting confused. I can see loading the software on the community computer at home, but I don't see how this can be done to someone else's computer that you don't have access to.

Where's a computer person when you need 'em?

And what does this have to do with ninjas young lady ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Is it just paranoia?

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2 wrote: Interesting that you brought up this question of how "trackable" someone might be on the internet. A friend of mine (who shall be nameless here) has been stalked for years on the internet by a nut case she innocently befriended in the past.

I wonder about this....The only stalker we've had lately has already been banned (SCT). Your friend's safe here. .... unless she's hot. :yh_drool
white_rose

Is it just paranoia?

Post by white_rose »

SnoozeControl wrote: Alright, I'm getting confused. I can see loading the software on the community computer at home, but I don't see how this can be done to someone else's computer that you don't have access to.

Where's a computer person when you need 'em?

I've held the CD in my hands along with instruction and warnings. Says right on there

"this program is by law not allowed to be installed on any computer without the knowledge of every user"

SnoozeControl, you ask how it can be installed say on your computer. You would have to be in email contact with that person. If the person was wanting to watch you, all they have to do is, attach it to an email you then open and read. You will never know the difference.

I hope it makes sense to you.

Now the other thing that happend was this, and I still smile about it LOL

I had Spybot and Destroy installed on the computer. Basically what this does is allow programs, or disallow. For some odd reason it accepted Spector, chances are when he installed it, he had to give spybot permission.

When I left....I also deleted spybot and destroy......guess what... this action blocked him from accessing Spector. He asked me what I had done, because he couldn't access the program anymore.

I hope this makes sense!! So pick your trusted friends carefully, before you start emailing back and forth.

It may sound way out there and scary....but better safe then sorry.

Should I find out that in any way some one has stuck spyware on me without my knowledge they will be a sorry puppy to say the least. I will prosecute.

I despise spy programs. Always thought I should get one to stick on him. just could not lower myself to that level, and I never will.

Note to self: check spelling before submit :-5

Return to “General Chit Chat”