Cleric blames confessions drop on lack of belief in Hell

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Decline in the fear of Hell is one of the main reasons why fewer and fewer people are going to church according to Fr Gerard Moloney, editor of the religious affairs monthly magazine, Reality.

Fr Moloney says that as ''recently as the 1970'', regular confession and church attendence was the norm in most of Ireland, but this is no longer the case.

He suggests that one of the main causes of the dramatic fall-out has been ''the post - Vatican 11 emphasis on the love rather than on the fear of God''.

www.redemptoristpublications.com

Beth

Post by Beth »

I always wondered if the priests got turned on by sexual confessions. I know in the few times I have confessed, I sort of "spiced up" my sins for shock value. :D That said, confessing is a blast! I wouldn't mind going to confession again one day. Maybe the youth need to adopt this attitude to keep the custom alive.;)
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Why do women always bring sex into it. Still all human life is there:p . Yep I suppose the Church, any Church has got a knocking in the last few years. I wonder if more folk were to return to their churches on Sunday's would it help Stop the evil in our neighbourhoods and the world at large?
Beth

Post by Beth »

I doubt it, evil lurks from within the churches, as well(BTK, molesting priests and clerics). Churches have even helped to perpetuate evil.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Do you believe in the Church teachings on purgertory, hell or heaven?
abbey

Post by abbey »

Maybe the "sinners" have commited so many sins they are to embarressed & ashamed to own up to them.

Return to “Ireland”