Blind Kitty

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
Nomad

Blind Kitty

Post by Nomad »

I feel so bad for my wifes (ok mine too) cat. Shes 15 and almost blind. (and deaf) Ill walk into a room and she will be 2" from the wall. She has no idea which way shes facing. I have to admit I giggle sometimes when she walks into a wall but then I feel bad right away so I think thats ok. She manages to get around and up and down the stairs by "feeling" the walls. If you call her she has no idea where the sound came from. Its kinda sad.
I AM AWESOME MAN
theia

Blind Kitty

Post by theia »

Nomad wrote: I feel so bad for my wifes (ok mine too) cat. Shes 15 and almost blind. (and deaf) Ill walk into a room and she will be 2" from the wall. She has no idea which way shes facing. I have to admit I giggle sometimes when she walks into a wall but then I feel bad right away so I think thats ok. She manages to get around and up and down the stairs by "feeling" the walls. If you call her she has no idea where the sound came from. Its kinda sad.

Don't feel too bad, Nomad, she's probably far, far wiser than us. At least she appears to know that she hasn' t got a clue :)
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
chonsigirl

Blind Kitty

Post by chonsigirl »

Just talk to her as you walks towards her to pick her up-hug her and take her where she needs to go, like for din-din. She will feel the vinbration of your feet more then the sound of your voice, she knows it is you.

My one kitty lived to be 19, he had a hard time hearing but never had bad eyesight much. When he was old and could not jump off and on the couch next to us anymore, we put him on the couch. He was happy as could be.
chonsigirl

Blind Kitty

Post by chonsigirl »

I was thinking that too-it takes awhile to learn all the nooks and crannies of a new place.
CheshireCat

Blind Kitty

Post by CheshireCat »

chonsigirl wrote: Just talk to her as you walks towards her to pick her up-hug her and take her where she needs to go, like for din-din. She will feel the vinbration of your feet more then the sound of your voice, she knows it is you.

My one kitty lived to be 19, he had a hard time hearing but never had bad eyesight much. When he was old and could not jump off and on the couch next to us anymore, we put him on the couch. He was happy as could be.

I agree. Also, be careful of loud, sudden noises. These will be VERY upsetting to her. If this should happen, she needs reassurance, pick her up and calm her.

You shopuld leave a radio or TV on if you go out, dead silence would be frightening to her as well. Again when you come home, greet her by name and pick her up and love her.

Keep the doors to the outdoors shut, she would be lost outside.

Blind Kittys are so spoiled, but they will spoil you back!

"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

Return to “Pet Advice Support”