The Wisdom of The Buddha

Discuss Sikhism, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Kabbalah, others.
koan

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by koan »

I came across this saying attributed to the Buddha that made me laugh but think at the same time, as Buddhism so often affects me this way.

"People with opinions just go around bothering one another."

-The Buddha

I laugh because this is the Buddha's opinion and it may well bother me...just to prove his point.
capt_buzzard

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by capt_buzzard »

I guess your right on that point:p
kensloft

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I came across this saying attributed to the Buddha that made me laugh but think at the same time, as Buddhism so often affects me this way.

-The Buddha

I laugh because this is the Buddha's opinion and it may well bother me...just to prove his point.
It could also be seen as people with particular opinions go around picking on people with the particular opinions that are relevant or specific to their opinions. Much as the birds of a feather stick together.
koan

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by koan »

I don't think the point is so much that we shouldn't have an opinion as that we should remember that we are bothering each other. :wah:
koan

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by koan »

Another less enigmatic saying of the Buddha regarding relationships:

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

--Buddha
kensloft

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I don't think the point is so much that we shouldn't have an opinion as that we should remember that we are bothering each other.

Another less enigmatic saying of the Buddha regarding relationships:

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned.

--Buddha
Valid points but your guess is as good as mine. You can't not have an opinion. If you didn't have an opinion where would the free will be.
koan

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by koan »

I think it suggests keeping in mind that my opinion when stated to other people is not something that can be rightfully put upon them as an opinion they need to share. It is best offered when requested and the value of my opinion is up to them to decide. But then, if you don't mind bothering other people you could throw your opinions around recklessly and with vigor.

I like the second saying. I find that anger is never good to hang on to and attempts to use anger to fuel a discussion or action always ends up burning me instead.
capt_buzzard

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by capt_buzzard »

Its very fashionable here in Ireland to have a statue of Buddha on one's lawn. I'm wondering what brought this into play in 2005.
koan

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by koan »

If you rub his belly it's good luck. Maybe that's what it's come down to.
capt_buzzard

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by capt_buzzard »

:D koan wrote: If you rub his belly it's good luck. Maybe that's what it's come down to.:D That beats it all:D
svenskanurse

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by svenskanurse »

So it's cool to have a Buddha on one's lawn in Ireland now? Hmm, if I ever want a fat guy decorating my lawn, I'll invite my brother-in-law over for a visit.
rainbowsmiles

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I agree with Buddha - he was a genius :D
Tariki

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Tariki »

koan wrote: I came across this saying attributed to the Buddha that made me laugh but think at the same time, as Buddhism so often affects me this way.

-The Buddha

koan,

A more extended version of the Buddha's words are given in Jack Kornfield's book "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry".........

Seeing misery in views and opinions, without adopting any, I found inner peace and freedom. One who is free does not hold to views or dispute opinions. For a sage there is no higher, lower, nor equal, no places in which the mind can stick. But those who grasp after views and opinions only wander about the world annoying people

(I believe the original words are from one of the earliest books of the Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism, the Sutta Nipata)

From a practical point of view the "opinion" (!) as stated can be related to the Buddha's advice to treat his own teachings as "a raft, for crossing over, not for grasping". They are not given as doctrines to be clung to (let alone to club others around the head with!)) but are merely instruments/means towards our own emancipation/enlightenment.

Getting more technical, they also relate to the central philosophy of Buddhism, the Madhyamika.......................................which "does not oppose one thesis with another" but "seeks the flaw both in thesis and in antithesis." It investigates the beginningless illusion that holds "views" to be true in so far as they appeal to us and when the appeal to us we argue that they are not "views" but absolute truth.

Madhyamika..........."the utter negation of thought as revelatory of the real", or as the Third Zen Patriach once said........"If you wish to know the truth, only cease to cherish opinions"

:)
Bez

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Bez »

rainbowsmiles wrote: I agree with Buddha - he was a genius :D

As a practising Buddhist, I have books with sayings and guidance for every circumstance.

I confess I don't always understand them all but I am always studying and learning.

This is one of my favourite Buddha sayings:

'Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth'

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Bez »

I meant to add that there are/were a lot of Buddhas...most of the time these sayings cannot be attributed to a particular Buddah except perhaps the 'first' Buddha Shakyumani and later, Nicherin Daishonin. I have no doubt that someone will correct me so I hasten to add "I am a novice".
Tariki

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Tariki »

In the Lotus Sutra the Buddha's teachings are likened to the rain, which falls everywhere - even in the "remote and secluded places" and "moistens them all".

"I appear in the world

like a great cloud

that showers moisture upon

all the dry and withered living beings

so that all are able to escape suffering"

Each responds according to their kind................

"The equality of the Buddha's preaching

is like a rain of a single flavor,

but depending upon the nature of the living being,

the way in which it is received is not uniform,

just as the various plants and trees

each receive the moisture in a different manner................

"I rain down the Dharma rain

filling the whole world,

and this single-flavored Dharma

is practiced by each according to the individual's power."

There is a saying that there are 84000 "dharma gates"............we are all unique individuals. As the Zen master said........."See that bamboo, how long it is. See that bamboo, how short it is. That is their nature."

clearmind69

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by clearmind69 »

Hi,

Theres a few ways to look at it. A practising Buddhist will watch his/her words carefully so's not to offend and upset. Doesnt Buddha teach of karma? Creating karma when upsetting others. It would also mean one would have to repay that hurt by some form of suffering, so even more so should one watch their thoughts aswell as their words.

Arising and enlightening.

:-6 :-6 :-6 :-6
Carl44

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Carl44 »

koan;67979 wrote: If you rub his belly it's good luck. Maybe that's what it's come down to.
well i look like buddha , i have a big belly , and i dont have any opinions yet i annoy every one that meets me , work that one out :thinking: :thinking: :D
Tariki

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Tariki »

koan,

I believe that the words you quoted came originally from the Sutta Nipata, one of the very oldest scriptures of Therevada Buddhism.

A full version is......

Seeing misery in views and opinions, without adopting any, I found inner peace and freedom. One who is free does not hold to views or dispute opinions. For a sage there is no higher, lower, nor equal, no places in which the mind can stick. But those who grasp after views and opinions only wander about the world annoying people.

I've recently been reading "The Other Side of the Mountain", which is the seventh volume of the Journals of the Christian monk Thomas Merton. These journals take in the events - and Merton's thoughts - during his trip to Asia (where he tragically died in Bangkok) There are many refences there to the central philosophy of Mahayana Buddhism, the Madhyamika, which developes the words of the Sutta Nipata.

Madhyamika does not oppose one thesis with another. It seeks the flaw both in thesis and antithesis. It invetigates the beginningless illusion that holds "views" to be true in so far as they appeal to us and when they appeal to us we argue that they are not "views" but absolute truth. All views are rejected for this reason

It was Buddha's aim not to give a "final" speculative answer but to be free from all theories and to know, by experience, the nature of form and how form arises and how form perishes. He wanted not a third position lying between two extremes but a no-position that supercedes them both. This is the Middle Way.

The essence of the Madhyamika.....consists in not allowing oneself to be entangled in views and theories, but just to observe the nature of things without standpoints.

There is a lot more, but perhaps enough for now! (Certainly enough for MY brains, which are already turning to jelly!!) Anyway, Merton also recording far lighter things on his trip, like the roadside poster seen in Calcutta which took his whimsical fancy.........

Are you worried? Refresh yourself with cigars.

P.S. Just reading through this entire thread and saw, much to my surprise, that I had already responded before, in much the same manner!! They do say that the memory is the first thing to go........................Anyway, I'll leave it as I wrote it.
talkingamoeba

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by talkingamoeba »

thank you koan, I needed that.
Sometimes I go about

In pity for myself,

And all the while,

A Great Wind carries me,

Across the sky.

-Ojibwe Saying

In the begining,

Well I don't really Know:-2

After that

Any Thing is possible:thinking:

-Me
Bez

The Wisdom of The Buddha

Post by Bez »

By my PC I have a book of 'writings' by Nicherin Daishonin ~ 1 for everyday of the week. This is yesterdays 'writing' :

The Buddha promised in the Lotus sutra (The teaching of Shakyamuni - 28 chapters) that, for women the sutra will serve as a lantern in the darkness, as a ship when they cross the sea, and as a protecor when they travel through dangerous places

This is one of my favourite writings.

Return to “Eastern Religions”