AMBER ALERT--Florida

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

just issued by FDLE.....9 year-old white female, 5'1", brown hair and eyes, deemed to be in danger. no further details yet. call citrus county sheriff office, 352 7261121 or 911. more details as they become available. child is JESSICA LUNSFORD.

Attached files
polycarp

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by polycarp »

This is as serious as it is scary. I hope they find this innocent young girl before human predators do the unthinkable.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

well this has set off my radar...it seems this child lives with her father and grandparents, and was last seen going to bed at 10 PM last night. then daddy reports her missing. no sign of forced entry in home. i have no info on the mother.
Jives

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Jives »

Just what the Heck is causing this? When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, we played all day and all night out in the streets without a care in the world. Nobody even heard of a "child molester". The worst thing I worried about was the big kids on the other street throwing crabapples at us.

Now....most of the kids in my class are obese. I tell them, "Get out this weekend and play in the yard or go to the park." They tell me, "We can't, we might get abducted." So they stay inside and play videogames and eat. They look as white as vampires.

Man, things sure have changed. I blame Hollywood.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

child molesters did exist back in those leave -it -to- beaver days, but it wasn't constantly being played on a 24-hour news cycle. and most of our parents weren't living in constant fear, they knew it existed, but we (mostly) grew up in neighborhoods where every house was a safe house. today, despite the high publicity of AMBER alerts and abductions, STRANGER abduction is statistically rare. this is why my suspicions are engaged in this matter. .......and yes, although i feel it's unrelated, washed out obese kids are due to the stay in and watch TV latchkey culture. we were playing kickball and riding bikes all day after school and after dinner until we had to go home when the street lights came on.
Jives

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Jives »

lady cop wrote: child molesters did exist, but it wasn't constantly being played on a 24-hour news cycle.

You've got a good point there. Is this the whole "culture of fear" that Michael Moore raves about?
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

revised...4'11", 70 pounds. pink nightgown. no shoes on as all her shoes and clothes accounted for. mother not heard from in years, FBI trying to locate her to notify. good student, active in church. sheriff doing comprehensive ground search in area with no result. .... JMO..something not passing the smell test here.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

I just watched the press conference. I cannot imagine the fear, distress, and pain her father and grandparents are going through. I hope upon hope that her mother has her and that she is safe. I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself and then this dose of reality appears before me- a parent's nightmare. I mustn't forget to give my kids extra hugs today.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Hi Beth...i was just going to update this since i saw the presser...i may be WAY too cynical, but the father was 'crying' without actual tears. it could just be his persona, but boy did susan smith leap to my mind. the grandparents were very real. from what i understand, the mother has been indifferent to this child since she was an infant. the FBI are checking, but don't think so.........also, heavy fog hampering search this morning.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

Hi, LC. Yes, I was closely observing the father. Thing is, he does not look as fake as Smith did, or Sabrina's parents did when pleading for info on her. I know men who simply do not cry. They also could be on medication to help suppress emotions. When I took an anxiety pill before a beloved uncle's funeral, I had the worst time crying. I almost had to force myself to shed tears so I would not feel like a horrid, cold monster. Anyway, I am extending the benefit of the doubt to him. If he is guilty, I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the jig is up.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

two items....an un-named source has said that the father's whereabouts overnight were verified, he was with a female all night, until 0600. further, this is NOT an official AMBER alert because it does not yet meet the criteria for an abduction, there is no evidence of abduction.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

I don't understand, though, a little girl is gone. A child that is most likely way too young to disappear on her own will withought people knowing. All her clothes and shoes are accounted for. If a kid wanted to run away, I would think she would put clothes and shoes on and grab her favorite toy or some little thing to remind her of home. To me, that would scream an abduction.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

the key word is evidence. there is no evidence. no forced entry. no disturbance in room. no witnesses. no strangers or strange vehicles noted in area. nothing. simply vanished. not a runaway type problem kid from all reports. not meeting the smell test, and i am not taking the female 'companion's' word second or third hand from anyone at this point.i don't know that wasn't some one-nighter. and that kid did not leave on her own with no shoes. even Elizabeth Smart's nutty kidnapper had her put shoes on. certain criteria must be met for AMBER alert, but it's still a missing child case with intensive search.........oh, mother lives in ohio, police have not reached her.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

Ah, I see. Thank you.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

mother in ohio has been located and is being questioned by FBI. there is a RUMOR that grandfather had something to do with it, but rumors run rampant in these matters. Sheriff Jeff Dawsey says something from girl's room is missing, will not reveal what. does say a doll missing. ponds are being searched as well as ground, by horseback. this is thick palmetto scrub terrain.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

The paternal grandfather?
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

yes, it's the father's parents the child lives with. but it is simply the type of rumor that is inevitable in these situations. however, i do not think this is a stranger abduction. command center is set up, search continues, mother has pretty much been ruled out...she cared so much she didn't even recognize picture of her daughter FBI showed her.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

1730 eastern, CNN, police about to make an announcement. here it is..............a body has been located, but is NOT Jessica. it's another little girl. God. and now darkness falls.
kensloft

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by kensloft »

lady cop wrote: 1730 eastern, CNN, police about to make an announcement. here it is..............a body has been located, but is NOT Jessica. it's another little girl. God. and now darkness falls.
Could it be a dead child's parent exchanging for another? :yh_pray
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

kensloft wrote: Could it be a dead child's parent exchanging for another? :yh_pray there are no details on the other child, but it was found up in Tampa area, some unrelated victim. it was not contemporaneous to Jessica's disappearance. creepy thought, but it's all creepy. if this is not a family member involved here, it is someone familiar with the girl, followed her from evening church meeting perhaps.
kensloft

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by kensloft »

lady cop wrote: there are no details on the other child, but it was found up in Tampa area, some unrelated victim. it was not contemporaneous to Jessica's disappearance. creepy thought, but it's all creepy. if this is not a family member involved here, it is someone familiar with the girl, followed her from evening church meeting perhaps.
Could be?
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

the inarticulate and rodent-like father is on Larry King live right now. i think he's too stupid to be flat-out lying at this point. he simply doesn't have the evil cunning of a susan smith.
legaleagle

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by legaleagle »

lady cop wrote: the key word is evidence. there is no evidence. no forced entry. no disturbance in room. no witnesses. no strangers or strange vehicles noted in area. nothing. simply vanished. not a runaway type problem kid from all reports. not meeting the smell test, and i am not taking the female 'companion's' word second or third hand from anyone at this point.i don't know that wasn't some one-nighter. and that kid did not leave on her own with no shoes. even Elizabeth Smart's nutty kidnapper had her put shoes on. certain criteria must be met for AMBER alert, but it's still a missing child case with intensive search.........oh, mother lives in ohio, police have not reached her.

Saw one news article where friend of the girl quoted Jessica as complaining about "strict" grandparents. Something's fishy here. You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have heard an intruder in that small house. How did an intruder get her out in complete silence.

Better check out the girlfriend's story better or the grandfather- with a whole night, the body could have been dumped a hundred miles away and the person would have had plenty of time to get back to the house. Tears could be tears from guilt or fear.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

hello and very nice to have you here, another crime buff! the only little complaint the child had was she had to keep her room pristine. nothing major. i do think elderly grandparents could sleep through a silent entry, but i am not buying a lot of it, i don't buy the one night stand. but after listening all day and night, the father is a dupe. the sheriff is good, and says just what i would expect. i am a florida sheriff deputy, and this thing has all my hackles up. the "doll" that is missing is some cheap purple dolphin her dad won at the county fair. that is some inside info and i can't give any more. i hate to say it, but this is a cadaver search. and it is insular.
legaleagle

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by legaleagle »

you see enough of these on the national news in the course of a year that always turn out that way - I'm not even saying that whoever did it intentionally killed her. If the kid left voluntarily with a third party and took the time to take a stuffed animal (why??), I am certain shoes she would have been taken also. If I read the weather report correctly, it's not "barefoot" walking weather. Someone would have to know where her bedroom was and be familiar with the layout of the house otherwise that person could have just as well walked into the grandparents room.

If the father or the grandparents are not involved, the police probably don't have to look to far distance wise to find the guilty party. So sad.
mominiowa

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by mominiowa »

I am new here- I was looking for info on this little girl as my heart just breaks everytime this stuff happens..Just wanted to say hi and think its great that you guys have a site like this!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

hello, it's nice to have you here, welcome. ....i will follow this case until it's resolved, and also try to post AMBER alerts as they occur since i get them by email from FDLE....florida dept. of law enforcement. there is no hard news on Jessica so far today. the more time that goes by the less likely it will be good news. unfortunately.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

That body was found not too far from us. I was stunned when I saw it on the news. Glad it was not the girl, but unfortunately, some poor woman was murdered.

Yesterday on the news, I thought that the grandfather was the least convincing of everyone, but I would not accuse him, or try to insinuate guilt. She was involved in church, so she had to have been exposed to people there, I am sure there are people in the neighborhood that she hashad contact with. Some creep could have been stalking her. Heck, the grandparents may not have even locked the doors at night. Growing up in the country, locking the door is not a natural habit for my hubby. I know a lot of people that leave their doors unlocked at night around here.

As far as the weather, that night I was outside in shorts and a jacket, walking my dog, barefoot. It was not that chilly with the jacket. They are farther north from here, but I don't think the temperature difference was more than just a couple of degrees.
kensloft

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by kensloft »

mominiowa wrote: I am new here- I was looking for info on this little girl as my heart just breaks everytime this stuff happens..Just wanted to say hi and think its great that you guys have a site like this!
Welcome, mominiowa, to the garden. Glad to have you here. Waiting is the most horrid part of this ordeal. It would be nice to have it finish out with a happy ending for everybody... ? Happy posting.
mominiowa

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by mominiowa »

Thanks for the welcome...My nephew was kidnapped by his non-custodial mother..she ended up killing him in 1993.. These things really touch home and I was so excited to see Elizabeth Smart returned...That has to give some hope..

I watched the dad last night after reading the post from Lady Cop- We of course have a different time...He didn't show a lot of emotion..I have not seen the grandpa or grandma yet and have looked through some different sites..Do they seem compationate? or falsly affectionate? When they were searching for my nephew - a friend knew where he and his mother were hiding and thats actually how they caught up with her, the friend looking guilty and upset led them to beleive she was lying and forced a confession from her~ unfortunatley it was to late..Lady Cop ~ Do you remember C.J. Jekel? That was my nephew..Like I said it was back in 1993... Also - how do we find out if she has been released yet? She only got 15 years becuase of a mental problem..??? We have not heard. We did know she was going up for parole a couple years back and we all wrote letters asking it to be denied. We went as far as to ask that she have her tubes tied before being released so she can NEVER harm another child again...Just wondering?

Have a safe afternoon....

~~The Family~~

Who you are...

lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

hello again...i am sorry for your tragic loss...did you and i "talk" over at court TV site? i don't recall the case you cite, but it has a familiar ring, or at least the scenario does, from someone who wrote me at Court boards. i did see the grandmother speak and she seemed open and honest to me. i did not hear the grandfather speak. the father is a typical florida backwoods type....... you need to contact DOC (Dept. of Corrections) in the state in which she was incarcerated, prisoners names and info are public information. and as a family member, you may have rights to notification of her whereabouts if she is out on parole. the state will have a DOC website to search for inmates.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

hello and welcome to FG MyssiD......it may seem like it's all florida, but of course it's not, some of the most notorious cases are from the west, Polly Klass, Elizabeth Smart, Samantha Runnion, Katlyn Collman, from Indiana in jan. kidnapped and murdered. the list goes on and on, and so many more whose names you never heard. as to Carlie's murderer, he is awaiting trial.............BTW, the weather in the area has been rainy, windy, raw and nasty, if that poor child is out there alive exposed to the elements it's not good. but frankly i don't think she is.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Hello Luv352...it is really nice to hear from someone who is actively helping the authorities, and giving up your time in this nasty weather to search for this child. i am assuming that you are searching with supervision of a sworn deputy, since if a civilian found something it cannot be disturbed. your input and observations are very interesting since you are part of the community. the registered offenders in that area have been checked out of course. and i am very impressed with your sheriff. ( i am in a different county). i hope this child is safe, but i have to say, if it is a stranger/pedophile abduction the child is usually killed within the first 4 hours. there have been cadaver dogs brought in and there is a special night-searching dog out there tonight, as well as night-sensor helicopter. there is a good chance she is a long way from citrus county. or she is buried deep in the marsh. but she is not alive nearby in my opinion. ............your drug situation...meth seems to be the big thing in rural areas, as well as the usual crack problem. but i'll bet it's a meth situation since frankly the area is pretty white. (not a bigoted comment, just the facts of drug culture.) my best suggestion to you is to call your SO and ask to speak to the detectives working narcotics. tell them your concerns and observations. thay are probably well-aware and are staking these locations out, i know from my area it's like shoveling s--t against the tide. the people involved will get caught at some point. it's too bad you don't feel secure to go hiking. rural areas are no longer the pristine landscape they once were thanks to druggies. i can't call out of my own county and tell your SO people what to do, but YOU can talk to the detectives. and should.or even write to the sheriff in detail. it will get where it's supposed to go. keep us informed from a searcher's point of view, and thankyou!
mominiowa

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by mominiowa »

Good Evening to all.......I just got off work and was hoping there would be something..but there is always tomorrow.

I live in Iowa and there was a little girl taken from her dads friends..In the middle of the night...no one heard a thing~ she was molested and then killed. This was - maybe 4 years ago..Her name was Anna MArie Emery - but get this - about a month ago the mans son came forward - he was 11 at the time, and admitted to the family that his dad had picked him up after he took her and he was with him when he went to the brushy - and killed her. He had told the parents that he had heard her crying and saying that she would never tell if he just left her alone...My friend who lives in the small town (312 people), says the town is so shaken up all over again..but this kid had been told by his dad if he ever told that there would be people that would hurt him, blah blah blah..so I guess he finally had enough of the pain and told his mom. The boys dad was caught right away but through the whole trial and such the boy never said a word.. Doesn't that make you think that- that kid has to be messed up for life..Breaks your heart to think 2 small children were ruined and tortured that day...:(

Anyway- Lady Cop- I could have talked to you - was it during the Elizabeth Smart thing? - When the found her I became a BIG advocate for the Amber Alert and the Pedo. here - We have just 5 on our list in my town of 15,000 - YOU know that there are more, just not registered...I gave a speech about the importance of child safety and also the pushing of Iowa's Alert with one of our State Rep.'s...I want simple peice for children..they should not have to live in fear - Some one on an earlier post had said- that what happen to the days of leaving at day break and coming home at night and not having to worry about your kids... to think how many kids suffer becuase of Over protective parentsbut at least they are ALIVE...

Good Night ALL

~~The Family~~

Who you are...

valerie

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by valerie »

lady cop wrote: hello and welcome to FG MyssiD......it may seem like it's all florida, but of course it's not, some of the most notorious cases are from the west, Polly Klass, Elizabeth Smart, Samantha Runnion, Katlyn Collman, from Indiana in jan. kidnapped and murdered. the list goes on and on, and so many more whose names you never heard. as to Carlie's murderer, he is awaiting trial.............BTW, the weather in the area has been rainy, windy, raw and nasty, if that poor child is out there alive exposed to the elements it's not good. but frankly i don't think she is.And lest anyone forget... 21 years ago this month, a ten year old boy

named Kevin Collins disappeared from the streets of San Fransisco. Nothing

else was ever heard from him, no remains ever found. One of THE most sad

cases I have ever heard of. Family of 9 kids, but you can never replace the

one.

I feel for them ALL.

:yh_pray
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

legaleagle

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by legaleagle »

Good evening lady cop. I did read all the notes and did read some of the newspaper articles plus TV reports on line. I think I understand your pessimism about this but I am more convinced than ever that a predator did not enter the trailer and snatch the girls from her bed and take her away. The photos of the trailer just seem to make it clear that the place was not large enough for anyone to take that risk when they could have easily snatched her outside during the day. I'll let you respond since this is your business and your area of expertise.

The person would have had to know the door was open, that Dad was not around, known the layout inside, risked squeeky doors and floors, risked the kid screaming.... , risked being seen by the grandparents or jumped by the father (how'd he know the father was not home and would not return until morning?)

A stalker does not sound reasonable either. The setting looks to rural for a stranger to be stalking anyone without being noticed as someone who did not belong there, Plus wouldn't that person have to had been stalking the kid for a long period to learn about all of the above -the house, the grandparents, the father.....

If family members are not involved and the videos do seem to show credible people, it's got to be someone local. Rather than a break in, it seems more believable to me that the kid might have snuck out to meet someone and got more than she bargained for. That would also explain the door being unlocked so she could get back in. The father did seem to make the point that the door was unlocked when he got home - as if that was not the norm.

Some of the quotes portrayed her as very mature acting for her age. Seems like she was a big kid for her age -4'11" -70 lbs. and had a lot of freedom to roam so long as she was home on time. Also seems like maybe she had to be on her own for a lot of things like getting up alone and getting herself off to school. Maybe not enough supervision here. Hope they are looking at scenario's like this and not just for the middle age predator type.

There was a really bad case near here in Connecticut a few years ago where a 6 grade girl was murdered - also well thought of, mature acting for her age, enrolled in a Catholic school, nice kid ect. The girl had been sneaking out at night unknown to anyone and meeting an older boy and had been sneaking out at night long before 6th grade.

But I guess that does not address the issue of being barefoot and taking a stuffed animal.

Do you realistically feel that kid could have been abducted that easily out of a trailer? This wasn't the expansive Smart homestead which many rooms and lots of ways in and out.

You are also quite right about the sheriff - he's very professional - seems like the guy anyone would want running their department. You can also tell he is quite perplexed with the circumstances here.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

i think anyone reading between the lines of my posts knows i have doubts about the stranger scenario as well. (unless it was a local stalking her). and what i am tuned into is what Sheriff Dawsey ( i really like this guy) does NOT say. or do (issue AMBER alert). today the weather is really lousy and not conducive to searching. (i have to be gone a few hours, but will follow closely when i get home later). i hear the mother, angela, is coming down from ohio, and that she states the father would not allow contact with Jessica for the past 4 years or more. in fact, she says she didn't know where her child was. i will say these type things are he said/she said, if you want to find your child it's not that hard unless they've gone underground. i do not have the feeling the girl went out on her own to meet a guy, she is way too young and an innocent type from all reports, not one of these age 9 going on 16. NO, this is a case where there is going to be a "shock" ending. where is the father's "girlfriend"? or was it a one-nighter? i recall the willie craine case, he went home with some barfly, when the barfly fell asleep he took her little girl, raped and murdered her, put her in a crab trap in tampa bay, and "mom" slept through it all! so how do we know where dad was all night?? i sure don't. as i say, i am being guided by what the Sheriff is NOT saying. later! if you hear anything, please post, thanks!..........also, note, Sheriff says there was NOTHING of interest on the computer hard drive, no emails, nothing.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

FDLE has determined the girl is not Jessica.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

the people in the video have been ID-ed, it isn't Jessica.

Attached files
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

i just heard Jessica's mother speaking on FOX...she is genuinely upset and perplexed.
Beth

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by Beth »

www.myflorida.com will provide some links to see your county's sex offender registry. You can also go to your county's sherriff's website, if it is anything like Hills. Co., then it will provide a link to find registered sex offenders by zip code.

edit: Citrus County sex offender registry.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Beth, excellent public service! and i want to try to dispel any possible panic....not all offenders in the registry are offenders against children. but if they are on there, they have been convicted of some sexual offense. that having been said, it is every citizen's right and responsibility to go to their Sheriff Dept. website and learn anything in the public domain, and that includes wanted people as well as sex offenders. further, if you have dealings with someone in any manner that concerns you, you can call your county jail and find out if someone has a criminal record. (try to have a birth date, a SS number, something more than a name.) i encourage landlords to do this with prospective tenants for example. or women with prospective boyfriends, and vice-versa. (i am tempted to start a thread about this subject.)

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”