Trying to break in the cat flap

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
susan

Post by susan »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined tonight and have been made very welcome and am hoping some-one may have an idea to solve my problem.

I have an 11 yr old cat (male and neutered), and about 18 months ago I had a magnetic cat flap fitted. A few months ago a local cat tried to get in and since has regularly come back and frantically pounds on the flap. My cat has fought it once but mostly is terrified. I've tried blocking off the flap but that made my cat spray all over the house (and I'm repeatedly told neutered cats don't smell but this one and my last boy prove that wrong!). I've tried throwing water over it but by the time I get the door open it's run away. It usually happens very late at night as well so I'm quite often in bed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my cat won't go out anymore and gets quite stir crazy!

Thanks

Susan
annabelle

Post by annabelle »

Hello Susan ..

Cats HATE citrus fruits, especially grapefruit, they wont go near it. Why not try rubbing half a grapefruit around the outside of the catflap before you go to bed, it might get the message.
valerie

Post by valerie »

annabelle wrote: Hello Susan ..

Cats HATE citrus fruits, especially grapefruit, they wont go near it. Why not try rubbing half a grapefruit around the outside of the catflap before you go to bed, it might get the message.

This is a good tip, except for the fact that you'll have to keep

"refreshing" it.

For your cat, I think what you should try is some stimulus for his

brain, play games, etc. and have on hand plenty of toys. Drag

something around for him to chase, get treats and have him do

something to get them...

For the spraying, there's not really anything you can do at this point.

Sometimes it helps to have them neutered at 6 months but then not

always. And I've never known one who DIDN'T smell, neutered or not.

Me, I would not have anything but an indoor kitty anyway, too much

can happen to them. And a girl kitty, at that!!

There are commercial "kitty no" sprays you can use, too.

Welcome to the Garden, this is one of the funniest thread titles I've

seen in a long time!!

:D
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Keeping one cat away from your kitty door while trying to encourage your own cat to use it is not going to be easy. You don't want to use anything that your own cat will be affected by. It seems to me that you will have to catch the little bugger red-pawed, and dousing it with water would be a good deterrent. I have to think on this one for a bit and I'll get back to you with an idea. :yh_think :yh_think
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

susan

Post by susan »

hi guys thanks for the replies

I thought of fruit too but as BabyRider said I want my cat to be able to go out so would put him off even more, he has loads of toys and we play all the time, but up to this happening he's had 10 years of playing out usually for hours at a time, so the playing helps but is not enough for him, he watches out of the window a lot and I can tell he's desperate to get out there. He does go out if I open the door but as I work this is only when I'm able.

Will keep trying with the water and hope the neighbours don't think I've lost the plot cause the cat is usually away when I get out so I just look like I'm throwing water about in the middle of the night!

:D
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

susan wrote: I have an 11 yr old cat (male and neutered), and about 18 months ago I had a magnetic cat flap fitted. A few months ago a local cat tried to get in and since has regularly come back and frantically pounds on the flap.

Have you got a pressure-washer?
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

Bill Sikes wrote: Have you got a pressure-washer?

:wah:;)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
susan

Post by susan »

4.38am....woken by the shrieking....pressure washer sounding good....
Rain

Post by Rain »

The man next door to us threw moth balls all over the place. PU! But... it's kept the cats from crudding all over his flowers. Maybe you could take a moth ball and (with gloves) rub some of it on the outside of your cat door? I'd be worried about ants if I rubbed a piece of fruit on the door. You definately have a problem. Is the annoying cat a stray? or a neighbors? You might mention it to the neighbor. Afterall, communication is everything in life. Please keep us posted. I'm curious how you work this out.

BTW, I'm new too :)
susan

Post by susan »

[QUOTE=Rain]The man next door to us threw moth balls all over the place. PU! But... it's kept the cats from crudding all over his flowers. Maybe you could take a moth ball and (with gloves) rub some of it on the outside of your cat door.

Hi Rain,

Moth balls is out too because I'm hoping if I can stop the other cat then my cat will start using it again so I don't want to totally put him off as well,

Is the annoying cat a stray? or a neighbors? You might mention it to the neighbor. Afterall, communication is everything in life. Please keep us posted. I'm curious how you work this out.

I haven't tracked down where the other cat is from because as soon as i open the door it's off like a rocket.

Will keep you posted
susan

Post by susan »

GOT HIM!!!

Can't believe didn't think of it before - my bedroom window is above...cat is below...suddenly it's raining buckets! I'll be ready.
annabelle

Post by annabelle »

susan wrote: GOT HIM!!!

Can't believe didn't think of it before - my bedroom window is above...cat is below...suddenly it's raining buckets! I'll be ready.

Hahahahaaaaaaaa Susan .... this vision just sprung to mind .... :wah:

Attached files
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I find this appalling and reprehensible !

Since you are determined however I would grudgingly recommend a generous supply of KY Jelly applied directly to the cats flap.

You should be ashamed of yourself !
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Pet Advice Support”