I hate my meds, and how they make me feel

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

So, my early menopause years have been pretty much racked with anxiety, stress, serious mood swings, and the like. Several years back my dr. put me on Zoloft, which seemed to help, with some dosage increases over the years.

A few months back, though, Zoloft (for which there is no generic equivalent) was switched to a tier 3 drug...meaning a 30 day supply went up to $50. I just could not afford that, it was a $20 increase. SO, I talked with my GYN, who agreed the price was a bit outrageous. So, he switched me to the genaric version of Prosac.

For the first couple of weeks, I felt pretty good. But, this takes into consideration I still had some of the Zoloft in my system.

NOW, though is a different story. I am suddenly feeling really down, and depressed. Which I have never felt before. Not suicidal or anything, just really depressed. Rather like the "give-a-damn" is broken. I do not really feel anxious, and no real mood swings, just depressed.

I do not know what to do..should I go back and try something different?

Any suggestions?
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

What dosage of the generic Paxil are you on. You may have the dr. increase it alittle. But I'll warn ya if ya miss a dose you'll feel it. It always made me feel lighted headed and dizzy if I missed a dose.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Sheryl wrote: What dosage of the generic Paxil are you on. You may have the dr. increase it alittle. But I'll warn ya if ya miss a dose you'll feel it. It always made me feel lighted headed and dizzy if I missed a dose.

Sheryl, I am on 20 mg a day.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'd just ask your doctor if you might need an increase. But he'll probaly tell you to give it a little while for the GPaxil to kick in. I was on 25 mg a day.

my son
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

OK
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I just hope your doc is prescription happy. Everytime I went and seen my doc I walked out with atleast 2 new prescriptions for something to either help me sleep or something of that sort. :-3

my son
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Sheryl wrote: I just hope your doc is prescription happy. Everytime I went and seen my doc I walked out with atleast 2 new prescriptions for something to either help me sleep or something of that sort. :-3

I like my GYN, he seems nice, though I have only visited him twice. The Prosac generic was actually first reccommended by my general practitioner..who I am looking to switch away from. It happened I had a visit with the gyn a couple of weeks later, so I chose the opportunity to get a second opinion.

My GP is good about prescribing whatever will help me, I just feel that I am reaching a stage in my life where I want to switch to a doctor who primarily treats older patients.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Marie5656 wrote: I like my GYN, he seems nice, though I have only visited him twice. The Prosac generic was actually first reccommended by my general practitioner..who I am looking to switch away from. It happened I had a visit with the gyn a couple of weeks later, so I chose the opportunity to get a second opinion.

My GP is good about prescribing whatever will help me, I just feel that I am reaching a stage in my life where I want to switch to a doctor who primarily treats older patients.

I think that would be great, I think you feel better when you have a doctor your most comfortable with.

my son
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Marie5656 wrote: OK
Marie, ask him about Klonopin, also. I've been on it for about 4 months now, and it's been a life-saver.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

annabelle

Post by annabelle »

Marie5656 wrote:

Zoloft (for which there is no generic equivalent)

ALL drugs have a generic equivalent, Zoloft is "Sertraline". :)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

annabelle wrote: ALL drugs have a generic equivalent, Zoloft is "Sertraline". :)

Oh, Anabelle...I wonder then why I have not gotten it, I would have preferred to stay on it. I will have to ask.

BR, I am not familiar with Klonopin. What is it usually prescribed for? You can PM if not comfortable with public response.
annabelle

Post by annabelle »

Marie .... If I were you I would most deffinately go back to the Doc , explain EXACTLY how you're feeling. In my own opinion you havn't been on this type of medication long enough for it to have been of benefit to you long term. Changing this type of drug, particularly if the old one is still in your system at the time of changeover can play havoc while your body is attempting to adjust/metabolise it.

I can't see any reason at all why you can't be prescribed Sertraline, it's widely available and far cheaper than the brand equivilant of Zoloft.

Good luck .... :)
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Marie5656 wrote: BR, I am not familiar with Klonopin. What is it usually prescribed for? You can PM if not comfortable with public response.

Nah, public doesn't bother me. Sheesh, everyone here knows more about me than my family, probably!!

Anyway, Klonopin: When my doc. started me out on these anti-anxiety/anti-depresants, was soon after we got the news that Bullet was going to trial. First attempt was Paxil and Xanax. 20 mg Paxil once a day and .5 mg Xanax twice a day. That worked for a while, but as the trial drew nearer, I got more freaked out, and especially during "that" time of the month. Crazy mood swings, dark, deep depression. So doc and I decided to try something new. Stay on the Paxil but bump it up to 30 mg. once a day, and Klonopin, .5 mg twice a day. That's what I've been on ever since and it's pretty damn good. I can function at those really bad times of the month where I couldn't before. And if I remember correctly, Klonopin was made just for women. I'd have to ask my doc again to be sure about that, though.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Hiya Marie

I've done a lot of reading on SSRIs (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors) like Prozac and the rest of the gang.

The generic Prozac may not be right for you. Many people have to switch around within the SSRI group to find the drug that best works for them. Would you consider switching to another?

If you do decide to switch, Marie, ask your doctor to prescribe a med for which there is a generic. For example, Celexa comes in generic, but Lexapro does not. Also, some insurances will cover a certain drug but not the XR (extended-release) version of the same drug, i.e., Wellbutrin.

Good luck, my friend. No one should have to feel depressed if there is a medication that will help.

Keep us posted. I care :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Thanks, everyone. I definatly will have to talk to the doc. I definatly feel that the depression is definatly related to the Prozac..because I have never felt this way before. At least not to this extreme.

BR, thanks for the info on Kolonopin. I will have to look into it.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie

Annabelle is correct; all brand-name drugs have a generic equivalent.

But, if I'm not mistaken, drug companies have a patent on a brand-name drug (for up to seven years) whereby the generic *cannot* be offered in the marketplace.

Lexapro, for example, is a newer drug; the generic equivalent is not available to you and me.

But Zoloft is one of the original SSRIs and should definitely be available by prescription in its generic form.

Best of luck, my friend :-4
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

cherandbuster wrote:

Annabelle is correct; all brand-name drugs have a generic equivalent.

But, if I'm not mistaken, drug companies have a patent

You are absolutely correct about that. Not all drugs are available in the generic, & much cheaper, form. The patents will eventually expire, making the drugs available in generic form. Some of them have longer patents than others. The entire pharmaceutical industry is one big gouging racket, IMO.:mad:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

marie - have you tried any homeopathic / complementary therapies / remedies?

just as effective, far less harmful & not as expensive
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

buttercup wrote: marie - have you tried any homeopathic / complementary therapies / remedies?

just as effective, far less harmful & not as expensive

I have heard of homeopathic, and know what bit is, but I have never heard of complementary..or is it just meaning the same? Right now I take magnesium, calcium as well as Valarian.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Im on metformin and it makes me throw up if i dont eat enough food with it. Im also on Clomid which gives me MEGA hot flashes, horrible mood swings and makes me OVERLY SENSITIVE. Im also choking trying to get these damn prenatal vitamins down.

HBIC

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”