Web Based Research Tools - What do you use?

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
Deep_Respect

Post by Deep_Respect »

I'm always looking for better websites for researching stocks and other investments.

My favorites thus far are:

http://www.marketwatch.com - Free site for news and commentary

http://www.advfn.com - Free site for info on commodities

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/sec/filing.asp - Good site for accessing SEC filings

My favorite report is the Reuters Provestor Report which provides good information on a company's fundamentals as well as comparative information within it's industry.

Please share what tools you use.
Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

The only things I use for investing, are the two most basic principals known.. I don't have a lot of money.. so web based research tools are a waste of time for me and my ilk..

Here are my two "secrets"

Dollar cost averaging

Compound interest

If you are relatively young.. that's all you need. Everything else, IMO, is gambling.

Raymond
Deep_Respect

Post by Deep_Respect »

Captain Ray wrote: The only things I use for investing, are the two most basic principals known.. I don't have a lot of money.. so web based research tools are a waste of time for me and my ilk..

Here are my two "secrets"

Dollar cost averaging

Compound interest

If you are relatively young.. that's all you need. Everything else, IMO, is gambling.

Raymond

I agree with dollar cost averaging and compound interest but how do you find your investments? I've found some good investments via web based research tools. It's how I found out about royalties, REITS, closed end mutuals funds and municipal bond funds. To me picking stocks without good research is gambling.
Captain Ray

Post by Captain Ray »

I look for mutual funds that have a decent 1, 5, and 10 year average.. that are sufficiently diversified. I do lean towards certain sectors.. and kind of divide my money between those.. I also like index funds, they seem to perform closely with the over-all market. Mind you, I am not a big investor by any means.. I just put a little aside, hopefully when I retire i'll at least be able to afford a pot to... you know what I mean....

I don't have the buying power to effectively buy into a single companies stock. And unless I have a real change in fortune.. Systematic investing of small amounts of money are the only way for me.

Raymond
Deep_Respect

Post by Deep_Respect »

Captain Ray wrote: I look for mutual funds that have a decent 1, 5, and 10 year average.. that are sufficiently diversified. I do lean towards certain sectors.. and kind of divide my money between those.. I also like index funds, they seem to perform closely with the over-all market. Mind you, I am not a big investor by any means.. I just put a little aside, hopefully when I retire i'll at least be able to afford a pot to... you know what I mean....

I don't have the buying power to effectively buy into a single companies stock. And unless I have a real change in fortune.. Systematic investing of small amounts of money are the only way for me.

Raymond

Have you looked at Nuveen Funds? Some of these are earning 10% dividends.

Some of the Blackrock Funds are good too.

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”