Squirrels?

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
rainbowsmiles

Squirrels?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Ok, I wasn't sure where to stick this but I wanted to share the story and ask a few questions.

Yesterday when we got home we found 5 naked newborn squirrels laying below our tree. They were all breathing so I gathered them up and took them to a wildlife rehab center about 3 cities away from me. When we got there they were still breathing but cold (I had them wrapped in a thick towel but it wasn't helping). I called them later and they said they might have to euthanize them because apparently if the new babies get too cold it damages their internal organs and they end up dying in 2 days. The person I spoke too said because she hadn't felt how cold they were when I brought them in, they were thinking they would give them a fighting chance but the vet still had to determine that.

My question is. What could I have done to warm them before I brought them in? I feel so guilty. All I was thinking was I should rush them to someplace that could help. Should I have held them in my hands to warm them, heated the towel first? I'm curious in case this type of thing happens again. I'm like a babywildlife magnet. I've had bunnies, baby ducks, birds, etc... but this is the first time I felt like if I had done something more they might have a better fighting chance.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Squirrels?

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Ok, I wasn't sure where to stick this but I wanted to share the story and ask a few questions.

Yesterday when we got home we found 5 naked newborn squirrels laying below our tree. They were all breathing so I gathered them up and took them to a wildlife rehab center about 3 cities away from me. When we got there they were still breathing but cold (I had them wrapped in a thick towel but it wasn't helping). I called them later and they said they might have to euthanize them because apparently if the new babies get too cold it damages their internal organs and they end up dying in 2 days. The person I spoke too said because she hadn't felt how cold they were when I brought them in, they were thinking they would give them a fighting chance but the vet still had to determine that.

My question is. What could I have done to warm them before I brought them in? I feel so guilty. All I was thinking was I should rush them to someplace that could help. Should I have held them in my hands to warm them, heated the towel first? I'm curious in case this type of thing happens again. I'm like a babywildlife gnet. I've had bunnies, baby ducks, birds, etc... but this is the first time I felt like if I had done something more they might have a better fighting chance.

First of all well done you tryed to do a really good thing and you never know the babies may survive .One thing i did think of (and it might sound silly ) is a heat pad i have loads because i use them for my reptiles - but if your one of these people who is drawn to taking in animals a heat pad may one day come in handy or a small heat lamp . I cant really answer your question other than small animals need to be warmed up slowly and then kept at the same temp (maybe thats where a heat pad could help) .Why dont you contact one of the animal shelters and ask them for advice .It sounds like you did every thing you could.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
valerie

Squirrels?

Post by valerie »

You tried your best, and it's very good to hear that you did!

Unfortunately, baby squirrels are soooo tiny and their little systems

just can't handle much of anything. Nature is best of course. They

might have been already too cold when you found them.

I wouldn't use the heating pad or lamp, especially if you are going

to transport where would you then plug it in? But if you have a

hot water bottle, I might try that, with water not too unbearably hot.

And wrap it in a towel.

And don't give up. You may not be able to make a difference in every

case, but it will be glorious when the day comes that you make a

difference in even ONE case!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

rainbowsmiles

Squirrels?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thanks pantsonfire321@aol.com and valerie for your replies!

I never even thought of the water bottle and it was the one thing we do own that I could have used. :( I'll keep that in mind for the future. Today now I see we have baby rabbits in our backyard - never a dull moment around here. :)

Return to “Pet Advice Support”