Fighting the friskiness?

All aspects of your pet's behavior. Do you need help? Is your pet behaving normally?
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by Draco the third »

Hi - I'm a new member - been reading thru the posts on other threads and like your down-to-earth replies and your knowldege.:yh_hugs

I've already asked about a problem with my male cat, Nuzzle, but I'm wondering whether you can help with something else? I'm thinking about getting a lady cat to complete our little family, but I don't really want to get her spayed if I can avoid it.

Two questions: Nuzzle was a rehomed ***** - we think he's neutered. But will he still get the 'urge to splurge' and be bothering his new sister?:-4

Secondly, there are a few horny ol' toms:yh_devil in my area - are there any devices I can get to keep her safe when she's out and about? No, I don't mean a can of MACE, I mean some kind of kitty panties?

Hoping for some wisdom...
chonsigirl

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by chonsigirl »

Hello Draco, welcome to FG!:)

I don't see how you can let her out, and not have her fixed if you don't want baby kitties. She would have to be an indoor kitty, and you would have to be patient with her mood swings.
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

I'm surprised no-one has thought of it - a bit like an nappy with paw-proof fasteners! ;) Or something made out of rubber like half a wetsuit? I just don't like the idea of getting her done...seems a bit nasty....
chonsigirl

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you could not put something rubber on her, that would be harmful to her skin and fur. Cats are prone to abcesses and skin problems.

You would have to keep her indoors, and not let her out and be patient when it is those times. Some people opt not to have their pets fixed, but it depends on the animal.
buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

i seen your post in pets bulling pets thread, i was wondering if you had humour similar to nomad or not & how to take you :thinking:

in the meantime welcome to the garden :-6
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

buttercup wrote: i seen your post in pets bulling pets thread, i was wondering if you had humour similar to nomad or not & how to take you :thinking:

in the meantime welcome to the garden :-6

He seems nice! No, im just a bit ditzy when it comes to pets and looking after them. Love them lots, haven't got a clue tho!!!!!!:-5

It looks like I'll be making my own kitty chastity belt then. If they make them for dogs, how about something terrier-sized? If rubber's no-no for a cat's bottom, how about suede or something softer?
chonsigirl

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, suede is a good idea, you could line it with something disposable. You might have a nice little invention on your hands if it works.......................
LilacDragon

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by LilacDragon »

Draco the third wrote: I'm surprised no-one has thought of it - a bit like an nappy with paw-proof fasteners! ;) Or something made out of rubber like half a wetsuit? I just don't like the idea of getting her done...seems a bit nasty....

I guess I don't understand what is a "bit nasty" about getting a cat spayed.

I live in the U.S., so I am unfamiliar with the numbers for Europe and countries therein - but here goes.

Right now, in the U.S. there are over 100,000 cats looking for homes. A majority of them will be euthanized for no reason other then not having a home. The number of cats euthanized annually is well over 1,000,000.

Spaying your cat will guarentee that it never get reproductive cancers (the rate of these types of cancers is higher in animals then humans) or pyrometria. Pyrometria is a rather lovely infection of the uterus. If not treated promptly, it is fatal.

I have heard that if a female cat comes into heat and isn't bred, she will have another heat in about two weeks. Now, I could be wrong abou this - I have a male cat - but the last female cat that graced my house started howling when she was about 6 months old and howled for about 5 months until she went to live with my daughter's boyfriend.

I'm spayed and I can promise you that the operation was painless, the recovery was uncomfortable but nothing that one couldn't live through. :D

If you do get a female cat - do her a favor and have her spayed. I promise you will have a happier, healthier cat.
Sandi

William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by William Rushart »

Hey Draco I had similar problems but found an easy, quick and disposable solution :D . Just tear a small piece of Gaffer tape off a new roll (it's gotta be clean) and tape it over your kitties naughty spot :-3 . My Snuffle Kins took a while to get used to the hair loss when I took it off but she has a hard scab now so it doesn't hurt anymore! :) . Hope that helps! :D
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

William Rushart wrote: Hey Draco I had similar problems but found an easy, quick and disposable solution :D . Just tear a small piece of Gaffer tape off a new roll (it's gotta be clean) and tape it over your kitties naughty spot . My Snuffle Kins took a while to get used to the hair loss when I took it off but she has a hard scab now so it doesn't hurt anymore! :) . Hope that helps! :D

Is that some sort of joke? It's not very funny I dont think.:mad:
William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

No it really works! ;)
buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

oh you guys should sooooooo start a pet forum, your advice is so cool, if only we had even more trolls in the garden to play with you, are all your friends on holiday just now, are you bored, poor lil things
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

LilacDragon wrote: I guess I don't understand what is a "bit nasty" about getting a cat spayed.

I'm spayed and I can promise you that the operation was painless, the recovery was uncomfortable but nothing that one couldn't live through. :D

If you do get a female cat - do her a favor and have her spayed. I promise you will have a happier, healthier cat.

Thanks Sandi. To be honest I've never thought about it that way before. I may go for a rehomed cat again. I think they are normally 'done' before you get them.

You're spayed? You didn't get it done by a veterinarian, did you?:sneaky:
buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

Pinky wrote: I have a better idea for that tape of yours...stick it over your mouth!

think of all the fun you can have fun licking your cat's arse hair..you never know, you might even get a scab or two if you're really lucky!

Well I never! :mad: !!!! I try and offer advice and get insulted. Next time I'll :lips: Snuffle Kins doesn't have kittens and I didn't have to pay for a vet. Whats wrong with that?
buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

yawn
LilacDragon

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by LilacDragon »

Draco the third wrote: Thanks Sandi. To be honest I've never thought about it that way before. I may go for a rehomed cat again. I think they are normally 'done' before you get them.

You're spayed? You didn't get it done by a veterinarian, did you?:sneaky:

Yes, most reputable rescues do spay/neuter their animals before they adopt them out.

Nah, I paid the extra and had a real people doctor do the operation. But I did get to come home the same day!
Sandi

buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

we do enjoy poking trolls with broomsticks tho :-4
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

LilacDragon wrote:

Nah, I paid the extra and had a real people doctor do the operation. But I did get to come home the same day!

Vet would cost more over here in the UK!!!! Youd get a better result, though.......:rolleyes:
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

Kathy Ellen wrote: Drako and Pinky, You are both too funny. Love your answers to William.

Kathy Ellen

Praps we should get him neutered!!!! (tee hee):D
buttercup

Fighting the friskiness?

Post by buttercup »

draco you really need lessons in how to troll, your not very good at it, mind you your likely only 14 or 15, so sad that you dont have any friends or anything better to do with your time
Draco the third

Fighting the friskiness?

buttercup wrote: draco you really need lessons in how to troll, your not very good at it, mind you your likely only 14 or 15, so sad that you dont have any friends or anything better to do with your time

I'm sorry Buttercup. I really honestly don't know what I've done to upset you. If you can show me the post where I've been nasty to you or anyone else, I'll delete it straitaway (Can I do that on here?)

I know lots of Scottish people, and I get on very well with all of them.
William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

I don't know why all you guys are so quick to call a troll. Perhaps instead of insulting people you could try and come up witha solution to the OP like I did. I guess you have nothing better to do. :(
William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

Pinky wrote: In actual fact, I shouldn't respond at all.

That seems like a good plan to me :o . So I'll go on and continue with my advice: It's probably best to keep the tape on only when your kitty is outside so she can use the tray indoors. Make sure it's good tape that doesn't come off in the wet, this might mean a little temper tantrum at beddiebies :-3 but it's all for good in the end! And as I said a scab will form eventually :)
William Rushart

Fighting the friskiness?

We do indeed! :wah:

Return to “Pet Behavior”