Post by Bill Sikes »

capt_buzzard

Mud-slides in California.

Post by capt_buzzard »

Anymore on that?
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

capt_buzzard wrote: Anymore on that?I grew up in Los Angeles. The whole area is supposed to be a desert, and the drainage is inadequate. California has a 14-or-so-year drought cycle, so it goes from serious drought to flooding. Southern California is now so much more built up than it was in the last cycle, that a lot of people lost their homes in the recent rainstorms, and some areas were flooded, so the homes were ankle to knee deep in water. If you've ever had a flood, you know it can be as devastating as a fire.

La Conchita is one of those places on the coast where the cliffs are soft and there really shouldn't be anyone living under them, but people like to live by the ocean. Pacific Coast Highway is often closed while they mop up slides.

Years ago I had a job as a pest control operator (spraying houses with poison for bugs). I had the area including Malibu. There was a new development there where houses were built on steep, graded dirt slopes. After a good rain, some of the houses on the higher streets came sliding down the hill and landed on top of the houses on the lower streets.

When you have land that is subject to mudslides and flash floods, and add to that reckless overdevelopment, that's what you get.
Look what the cat dragged in.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

telaquapacky wrote: I grew up in Los Angeles. The whole area is supposed to be a desert, and the drainage is inadequate. California has a 14-or-so-year drought cycle, so it goes from serious drought to flooding. Southern California is now so much more built up than it was in the last cycle, that a lot of people lost their homes in the recent rainstorms, and some areas were flooded, so the homes were ankle to knee deep in water. If you've ever had a flood, you know it can be as devastating as a fire.

La Conchita is one of those places on the coast where the cliffs are soft and there really shouldn't be anyone living under them, but people like to live by the ocean. Pacific Coast Highway is often closed while they mop up slides.

Years ago I had a job as a pest control operator (spraying houses with poison for bugs). I had the area including Malibu. There was a new development there where houses were built on steep, graded dirt slopes. After a good rain, some of the houses on the higher streets came sliding down the hill and landed on top of the houses on the lower streets.

When you have land that is subject to mudslides and flash floods, and add to that reckless overdevelopment, that's what you get.WOW

Return to “Pacific West”