Why do people wear unflattering clothes?

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Jives wrote:

Research shows that drug use at an early age has a tendency to "freeze" maturity at that level. Children who abuse drugs never grow up emotionally..

Ummm. Thats not true Jives. For your further review of what I have found.

http://www.sacsconsulting.com/book/chapter4.htm

HBIC
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

BabyRider wrote: Uhh....gang? Wanna help me out here? Tell this crazy person how totally beautiful she is, both inside AND out!!! Always, ALWAYS a kind, uplifting word for anyone who needs it, always a positive note to everything she writes, genuine care and concern for others that comes shining out through her words, a smile that looks like it would stop traffic, and the pure, simple goodness of a person who obviously thinks of everyone else before she thinks of herself.

Oh BR

I guess it's easier for me to look outside to others than inside to me

But a huge warm heartfelt hug for your sentiments.

Truly.

*And no, Nomad, we are not going to 'get it on' so KNOCK IT OFF!:D
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

cherandbuster wrote: Oh BR

I guess it's easier for me to look outside to others than inside to me

But a huge warm heartfelt hug for your sentiments.

Truly.

*And no, Nomad, we are not going to 'get it on' so KNOCK IT OFF!:D

I dont know.....they dont call her cuddles for nothing ;)

kidding again jeez
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

chonsigirl wrote: I shall assign Nomad some math homework...................

Cher is so pretty!

Cher certainly is pretty and beautiful on the inside as well.:)

Make sure you give Nomad some really HARD homework Chonsi....he's been having it too easy round here lately.:D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
shelleybelle73

Post by shelleybelle73 »

Marie5656 wrote: Beauty Comes in ALL Sizes

I agree... whole heartedly.

I can also relate to what my good friend Cher says about how you feel inwardly... Everyone always says how beautiful I am even though I'm a CHUNKY CHICK *(thats to make Bez laff again) :wah: but I don't see it in myself, when I look in the mirror I see this huge belly (thats what you get for having two babies 15 months apart) :thinking: and a big bum sticking out the other end.

I have various self esteem issues about my looks, and luckily for me I have a very supportive boyfriend who tries to reassure me all the time. We've only been together 7 months and he does his very best to make me feel good about myself *cue mission impossible music*ha ha ha

It's okay for him though he's gorgeous and well fit but I appreciate his kindness and kind words when I'm having a bad day.

I am currently trying to diet and we all know how hard that is!!! :-5
Shelleybelle73 :yh_hugs

Breathe in, Breathe out, thats all any of us can do at the end of the day... :yh_whistl

All My Love & Best Wishes to Babyrider

I've missed you guys so much...... :-4
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

shelleybelle73 wrote: I agree... whole heartedly.

II have a very supportive boyfriend who tries to reassure me all the time. We've only been together 7 months

Shell!

I'm so happy you're involved with a good person after your bad experience with your children's dad. YEAH!

Makes me believe that good things come to good people:-4
Live Life with

PASSION

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cherandbuster wrote: BR

I don't know how to respond to that

other than a genuine thank you

but inside my own head

I don't see the 'me' that you see

and therein lies the problem

That's one big problem 'cos from here we see a very beautiful young lady with a very beautiful, bubbily personallity.

You'd better believe it!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

shelleybelle73 wrote:

I am currently trying to diet and we all know how hard that is!!! :-5

See Buttercup for a viable alternative
shelleybelle73

Post by shelleybelle73 »

cherandbuster wrote: Shell!

I'm so happy you're involved with a good person after your bad experience with your children's dad. YEAH!

Makes me believe that good things come to good people:-4

Thank you for your love & support Cher,

You are truly a beautiful person inside & out, and it just shines through your smile, you are so lovely & kind.

I am also thankful for my guardian angel who must have been working overtime to get me a nice loving boyfriend to my doorstep :-4

:driving: Bring it on... I'm ready to move on, with all my new acquired FG friends
Shelleybelle73 :yh_hugs

Breathe in, Breathe out, thats all any of us can do at the end of the day... :yh_whistl

All My Love & Best Wishes to Babyrider

I've missed you guys so much...... :-4
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Bryn Mawr wrote: That's one big problem 'cos from here we see a very beautiful young lady with a very beautiful, bubbily personallity.

You'd better believe it!

Again the Gentleman speaks

What a kind man:-4

(And you guys know how I feel about kindness):)
Live Life with

PASSION

Bez

Post by Bez »

SnoozeControl wrote: God, I'm an old fart!:rolleyes:

And me !!! :yh_rotfl
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Harls

Post by Harls »

I used to dress for fashion,but now the dreaded age has taken over & everything is slowly getting bigger I dress for comfort & cover;) & try to look the best I can.

If I am happy about how I look well who cares what anyone else thinks.

I am paying for it I will dress & look how I want.
Tan

Post by Tan »

Whatever everyone. Let me just enjoy my stir-ups, white tube socks, red pumps, crimped hair, acid washed jean jacket and neon green tube top, alright?
Tan
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Tan wrote: Whatever everyone. Let me just enjoy my stir-ups, white tube socks, red pumps, crimped hair, acid washed jean jacket and neon green tube top, alright?

Tan, I can see you on the cover of Glamor Magazine now!! :wah:
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

I full-heartedly agree with Marie here. While I'm a bit of a fashionista, I'm not a fashion-victim, and I notice people wearing incredibly unflattering things all the time. That's not at all synonymous with saying that they are unattractive - they just make bad choices and I wish someone would have to courage to break it to them in a non-confrontational way.

Let's take each situation in turn:

- too small clothes. I realize that this is a direct consequence of our culture's obsession with thinness, and I imagine people buy clothes a couple of sizes smaller just to convince themselves that they are that particular size. It may also be that a desirable fashionable item is only available in certain sizes, so if you want it, you squeeze in it if you can. Either way, I think it's a tad ridiculous.

I see a lot of perfectly thin/average girls squeezed in low-riding jeans at least 2 sizes too small. Since unfortunately we are all covered in skin :rolleyes:, there's bound to be a little roll or bulge appearing out of nowhere. I have trouble understanding why you'd wear something that gives you bulges when your real size wouldn't, but I suppose it's a case of really wanting to believe you're a size 2 (even if you're a 4 or 6, both of which I think are tiny anyway).

Plus-size girls I think are riding on the euphoria of finally finding fashionable clothes in their size. Before I get flamed, I would like to mention that I too am a CHUNKY CHICK (here, I bought a subscription and posted a pic so you can see that) and I'm all about having great clothes to choose from. I usually shop at Addition-Elle and I have quite a few nice things from there, but honestly, I have qualms with the way some of their clothes are cut. I know that short jackets have been the "IT" thing for the past couple of years, but most women shopping there probably have a bit of a belly bulge (myself included - I hate my stomach :mad:). Short jackets and shrugs look best on a small, well-defined waist. For the rest of us, there are perfectly flattering tailored jackets which hit right at the hip - they cover your stomach and the pinched-in waist helps contour your body. But can you find them if the IT thing is a shrug? It's the same thing with too-short tops, low-waist pants that give you a wedgie and allow your stomach to spill over, or halters cut so low in the back, that you can't wear a bra. I think it's wonderful that there are so many choices out there, but I think plus-size stores should also carry classics in more flattering shapes and should hire stylists who could give honest advice about what looks good on a particular body-shape.

Now I'm older and have learned what looks good on me and what doesn't, so I stay away from fashion traps (like belly shirts and shrugs). But I wear low-cut tops, fitted jackets, and tighter pants because I want to draw attention to what's nice and away from what's not-so-nice. My impression, however, is that younger girls try so hard to fit in, that they wear whatever their skinny friends wear just to stay in the loop. And I don't think that's doing them a favour at all because it only attracts unflattering comparisons. I don't wear the same kind of clothes that my size 4 friend wears because I know I don't have her flat abs. That doesn't mean I think I'm ugly - she always said she envies my cleavage for example - but that I'm realistic.

- age-unsuitable clothes. I've never been in favor of women over 40 wearing mom-jeans and embellished cardigans (I'm talking about snowmen, not sequins here), but I think we should all draw the line at things suitable for people 20 years younger. I'm 25 and I don't wear Hilary Duff things, cammo, Hello Kitty, or let my bra straps show (okay, sometimes they have a life of their own). I don't think anyone would do a double-take if I wore these things, but I'm a young professional, not a high school kid, and I don't think they would be appropriate. I'm not saying no 25-year old should wear them, but I prefer to stick with suits, slacks, and cardigans, even if I wear a silky/slinky/lacy cami underneath and high heels. I think a bright accessory, like my new big red bag, can add a pop of color and bring an outfit to life while allowing you to stay sophisticated overall.

Similarly, I think older women should wear stylish clothes, and there is nothing wrong with a skirt which hits right above the knee, fitted pants and jackets, beautiful tops, etc. But sequined halters and mini-skirts are gaudy enough on teens - on someone who's 50, they're downright desperate. (Don't start throwing stuff at me :wah: )

- too big clothes. Yup, there's that too. Back to the plus-size issue. I want to tell those girls that baggy clothes aren't really flattering on anyone, and that nothing corrects and show off your shape like well-fitted clothes. Flared pants, soft pencil skirts, empire waists, A-lines, these are made to show off long legs or a nice chest, balance hips, hide bulges, so there are plenty of alternatives. Plus, glossy hair, good skin, and nice make-up go a long way to make up for those extra pounds.

This is just my 2 cents, I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but I think that with better choices, anyone can be a lot more attractive (and without drastic measures or plastic surgery).
The power of MEOW
mimiki

Post by mimiki »

i think its all about confidence. When you are confident you want to look good, and when you look good you feel more confident. Its a vicious cycle hehehe.... but a good way i found to fix this is go out and get tailor/custom made clothes. Sites like www.DesigningMe.org etc. offer such services a lot cheaper then traditional tailors. Cause i found by wearing something customised to me made me more confident.
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

That's an excellent idea. I do that whenever I go home overseas, because I know someone who does it well and for cheap. Here, I'm not so sure I could afford it. But I do collect pics of designer clothes I'd like to own and have them made, with the proper adjustments to flatter my silhouette.
The power of MEOW

Return to “Fashion Clothing”