Whats With All The Fat Health Care Workers?

Lon

Post by Lon »

WOW!!! Not just fat, gargantuan, humongous, huge. Nurses working in doctors offices, labs, clinics etc. Seems to be the rule and not the exception. What gives? Is obesity a job requirement for medical workers? The docs, both male and female seem to stay trim and look fit. This present situation was not always the case. I am old enough to remember when nurses and medical employees looked pretty fit for the most part.

They are saying that the Baby Boomers will be the first group to probably outlive their children.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Obesity is a growing problem in the US. I attribute a lot of it to fast food and couch potato children.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

While you do get people of all shapes and sizes in all walks of life, I have spent quite a bit of time in hospital lately and I have to say the majority of nurses that I've seen have been enviably slim! Hardly surprising when they're on their feet all day working their socks off and yet paid little more than minimum wage! Perhaps American nurses don't run around as much as British ones or perhaps you have more nurses per hospital as you pay for them with your medical insurance and so are probably better staffed and so can spread the workload better.

Having said that, I much prefer our system of a free medical service for all rather than having to pay insurance, especially as those who cant afford insurance, cant have treatment, or perhaps only limited treatment. Even if our hospitals ARE understaffed, at least they benefit all. :)
valerie

Post by valerie »

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

Health care workers have very stressful jobs & I guess they use food & inactivity as a coping mechanism, much like the general public. Ever notice how many respiratory therapists & nurses smoke?

I've been an RN for over 23 years & it amazes me how many of my peers are so ignorant to health issues pertaining to themselves. I guess so many of us are so wrapped up in taking care of everyone else that we forget to focus on ourselves.

I think obesity trends are probably comparable in healthcare as in other career fields.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

valerie wrote: Perhaps some would be interested in these earlier threads:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... ht=obesity

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... ht=obesity

Wow

Seems like this really pisses Lon off, doesn't it?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

cherandbuster wrote: Wow

Seems like this really pisses Lon off, doesn't it?

Almost glad he is not here much, he would absolutly hate my husband and I !!!

Thing for me is, when I was in my last couple of jobs, I did start loosing weight as I was pretty active. Not running marathons, but active. In my current job, I am much less active, so getting the time in to exercise and move about takes a consoius effort.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656 wrote: Almost glad he is not here much, he would absolutly hate my husband and I !!!

When I see posts where people are frustrated or angry with overweight people, I get a pang in my heart.

It's such a struggle for so many of us. I wish there was more consideration and understanding from those who comment on it.

Just my opinion.
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

SnoozeControl wrote: Maybe I'm blind to it, but unless someone's wider than they are tall and wearing hot pink spandex, I don't take particular notice. :-2

Now that really sets my teeth on edge. Makes me just want to hold a full length mirror in front of them and ask "Do you really think this makes you look good?"

It is just that fat folks who think so little of themselves to go out in public looking like that is what often makes folks have a bad impression of all of us.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Just thought of something. I think this is why I enjoy visiting people on the internet. It is all more even. People are judged only by thier words, and not by thier appearance.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656 wrote: Just thought of something. I think this is why I enjoy visiting people on the internet. It is all more even. People are judged only by thier words, and not by thier appearance.

I totally agree. Very well said.

(Although this post is right next to my picture . . . but I didn't put my pic up 'til I was already a member of the FG family).
Live Life with

PASSION

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

I think it's important to be at a weight that feels good for you. Maintaining the weight you were in your 20's, may well be impossible in your 40's. At least it has been for me. Fitness level & healthy eating habits are individualized & I guess everyone has to take personal responsibility for their own health & habits. I'm about 30 lb overweight myself, but I go to the gym 4-5 days every week (& have been going for nearly 3 years now), I also have healthy eating habits. It's the portions & sweets, not to mention my love for alcoholic beverages that got me to gain weight. I'm working on it. I'm terrified of developing Type2 Diabetes. What really scares me is the amount of people who are obese & smoke on top of it!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Lizard Lips wrote: What really scares me is the amount of people who are obese & smoke on top of it!

I tried smoking when I was younger...because my best friend smoked. Did not enjoy it and walked away, never to smoke again.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656 wrote: I tried smoking when I was younger...because my best friend smoked. Did not enjoy it and walked away, never to smoke again.

I was never interested in smoking.

I once had a blind date with a smoker. As soon as he lit up, I knew there would not be a second date.

But that's not to say I don't have other vices :sneaky:
Live Life with

PASSION

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”