What Are My Chances?

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Somewhere in the USA I have two second cousins, American by birth, that I havn't seen since I was a small child. The only details I have on them are their christian names and their mother's surname, ( she is my first cousin). Their father , now deceased, was of Sioux Indian origin and used to be in the US airforce. They once lived in Dakota, can't remember if it was North or South, probably irrelevant anyway.

I've often thought about trying to trace them, but with so little to go on I'm unsure if I'd be wasting my time.

If anyone has any ideas about how I should go about this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you ...
Marie5656

What Are My Chances?

Post by Marie5656 »

Just wondering of you were able to contact someone from the Souix nation? I would guess they may keep some records, expecially if your cousins lived on a reservation.

Just a thought, not sure how one would go about doing that, exactly. If you knew the town, births and stuff are public record. You could go from there
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Marie, as far as I know they lived on the airforce base, BUT, I'm going back at least twenty years with that one.

It's going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack ...
Marie5656

What Are My Chances?

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, if you decide to go for it, good luck. Seems like you would need it.

Umm...air force records..or are they private??
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Probably private, although I'm unsure just how far your freedom of information act goes.
LilacDragon

What Are My Chances?

Post by LilacDragon »

Hey - I am spending the day looking up my family tree!

There are a couple of great links in the thread entitled "Geneology, anyone?"

Let us know how you do!
Sandi

annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

LilacDragon .... I feel a headache comming on already with this one .... :wah:
LilacDragon

What Are My Chances?

Post by LilacDragon »

annabelle wrote: LilacDragon .... I feel a headache comming on already with this one .... :wah:

Come on - it is not so bad!

I started the day with my Grandpa's name. That is it! Now I know his SS#, date of birth, date of death, his address when he was 10! I also know my Great Grandparent's names and places of birth, an Uncle, an Aunt, and some more stuff.

It has only taken about 5 hours and not too terribly much creativity! And some great help from people here and a couple of other forums that I belong too!
Sandi

Hugh Janus

What Are My Chances?

Post by Hugh Janus »

Geneology

The task of finding people that want to stay hidden. :wah:
LilacDragon

What Are My Chances?

Post by LilacDragon »

If you have the father's name, you should be able to get information on him fairly easily. That should give you a place to start.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, you may be able to get information on his military career, which should be able to help you out with bases he was stationed at.

Also, if you google U.S. Air Force, you should be able to find a website that will list all of the Air Force Bases by State. You want to try to find one that is older though, as the Air Force lost a lot of bases due to drawdowns and restructuring.
Sandi

annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Diuretic wrote: There is/was Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City, South Dakota. There were bases in North Dakota too but I can't recall if they were SAC bases or just places that had lots of missile silos. USAF might tell you if someone of the surname you have served in those areas.

Thanks Diuretic .... it may be where I'll have to start. I've enough information to at least prove i'm genuine in my inquiry.
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

LilacDragon wrote: If you have the father's name, you should be able to get information on him fairly easily. That should give you a place to start.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, you may be able to get information on his military career, which should be able to help you out with bases he was stationed at.

Also, if you google U.S. Air Force, you should be able to find a website that will list all of the Air Force Bases by State. You want to try to find one that is older though, as the Air Force lost a lot of bases due to drawdowns and restructuring.

Thank you Lilac ... unfortunately though I don't have his surname. He was called Jo and was almost seven feet tall! ... somehow I dont think that quite cuts it! ....lol
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Diuretic wrote: Seven feet? Have you tried the NBA??????? :)

:yh_rotfl Now that's what I call helpful, ;) :wah:
Hugh Janus

What Are My Chances?

Post by Hugh Janus »

Aw c'mon guys, I mean. How hard can it be to find info on a 7' tall soux indian called Jo. Who served in the USAF, and had two kids, a boy and a girl?

I bet Magnum could do it, in less than an hour too.... :wah:
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Hugh Janus wrote: Aw c'mon guys, I mean. How hard can it be to find info on a 7' tall soux indian called Jo. Who served in the USAF, and had two kids, a boy and a girl?

I bet Magnum could do it, in less than an hour too.... :wah:

Hugh ..... see this? ..... swivel on it! ....:wah: :wah:
Hugh Janus

What Are My Chances?

Post by Hugh Janus »

From the sound of him, I don't think anybody could have missed him :)
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Him heap big Injun! .... lol

Oh hell, I can't believe I just typed that ....lolol

He was 6' 11" to be precise, but what's an inch or two when you're that size!
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Diuretic .... many thank's .... I'll look into that.

I think my only hope of finding his surname is possibly by tracing my cousins marriage records, which is going to be another pain the butt.

As they say though, nothing ventured , nothing gained.
chonsigirl

What Are My Chances?

Post by chonsigirl »

Annabelle, do you remember if he was an enrolled tribal memeber, and what reservation? There are several Sioux reservations. Or, if you do not know that information, you can try by inquiring of some of the reservations.

http://hometown.aol.com/bbbenge/page6.html

A few of these links work to take you to different reservations for more information.
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

chonsigirl wrote: Annabelle, do you remember if he was an enrolled tribal memeber, and what reservation? There are several Sioux reservations. Or, if you do not know that information, you can try by inquiring of some of the reservations.

http://hometown.aol.com/bbbenge/page6.html

A few of these links work to take you to different reservations for more information.

Thanks chonisgirl .... all ideas are much appreciated.

The problem is I only met him a couple of times, along with his family, and I was only around eight or nine at the time. You know how it is, families tend to have a habit of unintentionally drifting apart over the years, and only being a child at the time it was something I had no control over.

However, I've decided it's now "round up time", LOL

Going to try my best to track them down. I'm guessing they're still living in the States, although it's possible they may not be.

If and when I manage to glean any info, I'll keep you all posted. :)
annabelle

What Are My Chances?

Post by annabelle »

Diuretic wrote: Good luck with the search - I hope it works out well.

Cheers Diuretic! ..... :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”