Girly stuff (guys, you may want to pass on this one)

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, just when I thought it was safe to start planing my "after-life"..my monthly came back with a vengence, after a 6 month absence!! :-5

As most of you probably know, you have to be free of the "curse" for a full 12 months before you can actually say you are done.

So, the countdown begins again.:mad:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Why is it called "after-life"? My "monthly" stopped visiting me two years ago and I don't miss it at all. And even though I can no longer procreate, I am still very much alive and enjoying life. I am well aware of my age and the fact that I look older than I did at forty years old. I used to color my hair but stopped on purpose because I like the "silver" strands among the brown. I consider myself lucky. I'm married to a man who loves and likes me; I have grown children who are all doing well and are happy and on their own; and three beautiful grandchildren. I also have a job I like but when I clock-out, I am ready to go home. It is true that my life is now on the "down-hill slide", but I am enjoying every moment of it.

So, Marie, just enjoy your time now...............as well as later.;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

awww poor marie, hugs

i had a hysterectomy couple of years ago, its great to be period free
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

along-for-the-ride wrote: Why is it called "after-life"? )

Maybe I should have said "Life-after". Just wish this phase of my life was done, so I can go on with the next. :thinking:
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

I am of the opinion that the uterus & ovaries should be delivered along with your last baby! I mean really. What is the deal? We start menstruating (on average) at age 12. We have babies (on average) between 20 & 40. Why should we continue with cramps & bleeding for another 10+ years?

I couldn't get a hysterectomy because my giblets were perfectly healthy. So, I did something else. At the age of 42, I had a Mirena IUD placed. After about 4 months, no more periods.............PERIOD!
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

I got my period pretty late, two weeks before my 15th birthday.

My mom didn't go through menopause until she was in her early 50s; at the age of 44, I probably have a ways to go.

I've been on the birth control pill for many years now. I've never had a problem with it and my periods are light and easy. I will occasionally get a backache a few days before it starts, but that could just be due to my consistent back problems.

I have noted, however, that I can skip one, two or three months in a row. I've had testing done to see if I was pre- or peri-menopausal, but I'm not.

Lsquared, what do you think of women taking the pill for a few months in a row and then having a period, cutting down on the number of periods you have a year? Seems to be considered generally healthy by the medical community.
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Lizard Lips wrote: I am of the opinion that the uterus & ovaries should be delivered along with your last baby! I mean really. What is the deal? We start menstruating (on average) at age 12. We have babies (on average) between 20 & 40. Why should we continue with cramps & bleeding for another 10+ years?

I couldn't get a hysterectomy because my giblets were perfectly healthy. So, I did something else. At the age of 42, I had a Mirena IUD placed. After about 4 months, no more periods.............PERIOD!

All well and good..except for a person like me. I made the decision at a young age (late 20's) that I would remain child-free by choice. I love kids, just did not want to be a parent. My doctor would not even let me get my tubes tied...in case I would change my mind. SO here I am at 52, still no kids, and still getting the dang thing. :(
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie

Another thing we have in common :)

Childless by choice
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

cherandbuster wrote: Marie

Another thing we have in common :)

Childless by choice

Have people ever tried to talk you into having kids? Or think you were nuts, or selfish?
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

SnoozeControl wrote: I don't know what to tell you Marie, but if there's any connection to youthful appearance and late menopause, then you're proof. I thought you were much younger.

Gee, thanks, Snooze. But I have always been taken for a few years younger, it seems. I was still getting carded in bars in my late 20's.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Marie5656 wrote: Have people ever tried to talk you into having kids? Or think you were nuts, or selfish?

For me, having no children kind of evolved.

I was pregnant in my first marriage and miscarried in my 3rd month. I'm convinced that was 'meant to be', as my husband and I separated one month later.

My current hubby was 46 when we got married (I was 38) and he felt that part of his life was past. He didn't want to go to his child's high school graduation at age 65.

Having had my three back surgeries in my thirties, I knew pregnancy could be a difficult experience for my body. I never had the *burning desire* to become a mother, even though I'm a big nurturer.

I just redirect my nurturing to other things, like my dog and the people in my life. It gives me great satisfaction:)
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Good for you, Cher. You have had adversity, and come out stronger for it.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

SnoozeControl wrote: I remember starting a new job when I was 25, and one of my co-workers asked when I'd start having children since my eggs were getting old.:wah:

Ahh, yes, the old egg story!! :-6
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

SnoozeControl wrote: I remember starting a new job when I was 25, and one of my co-workers asked when I'd start having children since my eggs were getting old.:wah:

Snooze

I'm always amazed at the unsolicited advice jerks are willing to give:)
Live Life with

PASSION

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

cherandbuster wrote:

Lsquared, what do you think of women taking the pill for a few months in a row and then having a period, cutting down on the number of periods you have a year? Seems to be considered generally healthy by the medical community.

I did it myself for years. While at an ACOG (American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology) seminar in Denver a couple of years ago, I asked the question "is menstruation necessary?" It got a few snickers in the crowd, but the answer was NO. I actually took the pill for 2 years straight, however, after 40, I began to get headaches. I stopped taking the pill & the headaches subsided. The Mirena IUD is the BEST thing that ever happened to me. My gynecologist tells me I'm the Mirena poster child!
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Lsquared, that's really interesting.

Tell us about it.

Isn't it also true that the pill helps to protect against some cancers (if you are not a smoker, that is)? Could it actually be good for me to continue taking it? I'm wondering if, after a certain age, an IUD is a better option.
Live Life with

PASSION

Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

It's certainly an individual thing.

I've heard of studies that support the cancer protection theory, but in a couple of years, who knows what the research will support?

The body's own natural estrogen has been supported in studies as a protection against heart disease, among other ailments.

I absolutely concur that smokers should definately NOT use oral contraceptives.

The IUD is an excellent alternative for women who are in a monogomous relationship (who REALLY knows) & who have already had at least one child. The Mirena is effective for 5 years. The biggest bonus for me was the cessation of periods. Almost 90% of all Mirena users experience a significant reduction in menstruation & about 30% stop having periods all together.

Here's a link to the Mirena homepage if you are interested!

http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html
BigHeadBowler

Post by BigHeadBowler »

Marie5656 wrote: Well, just when I thought it was safe to start planing my "after-life"..my monthly came back with a vengence, after a 6 month absence!! :-5

As most of you probably know, you have to be free of the "curse" for a full 12 months before you can actually say you are done.

So, the countdown begins again.:mad: Try 17 months without, then WHAM, just like before :eek: How would you like to start counting again after 17? Then it happened again 6 months later. I don't know if I'm hot-flashing or PMSing :(
Snickz

Post by Snickz »

Marie5656 wrote: Have people ever tried to talk you into having kids? Or think you were nuts, or selfish?

Childless by choice also, and selfish is something that always comes up - yes I am selfish, I love my life and the freedom that comes with being able to up and go wherever, whenever.....
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

The cool thing, I skipped the parenting thing and went right to being a grandparent when I got married. That is the way to do it.:D

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”