Beginning to look like a desert

A forum to discuss local issues in OK, TX, NM, AZ.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Last week went to Amarillo. The countryside looks horrible. There were several fields of just charred black plants and dirt. It's sad, nothing for cattle to graze on, the only plants surviving the drought are those with the razor leaves and mesquite trees. Before long it's just gonna be a total desert here. :-1
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Bez

Post by Bez »

Sheryl wrote: Last week went to Amarillo. The countryside looks horrible. There were several fields of just charred black plants and dirt. It's sad, nothing for cattle to graze on, the only plants surviving the drought are those with the razor leaves and mesquite trees. Before long it's just gonna be a total desert here. :-1

It sounds awful...can you post any pics of what it SHOULD look like ?

We have a bad drought here in good old 'normally rainy' England (well in the South anyway). My garden is parched and I am throwing plants in pots away weekly.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'll have to dig through my photos and see what I have. :(

my son
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

Yeah, it's looking pretty shabby all over the south. We just drove to Oklahoma, and lots of the area was also charred and baren. My SO was just in Amarillo a few months ago and he said the same thing. Hope y'all get some relief soon!!
minks

Post by minks »

Banshee wrote: Yeah, it's looking pretty shabby all over the south. We just drove to Oklahoma, and lots of the area was also charred and baren. My SO was just in Amarillo a few months ago and he said the same thing. Hope y'all get some relief soon!!

Ooooooo is this from fires? We are thoroughly smothered in smoke here in cowtown, there are fires burining in Washington State that crossed up into Canada on the east side of the Rockies, the smoke has blocked out the sun here. It makes for gorgeous sunrises and sets but hellish breathing ...I fear the lovely British Columbia in these parts will be charred as well.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

minks wrote: Ooooooo is this from fires? We are thoroughly smothered in smoke here in cowtown, there are fires burining in Washington State that crossed up into Canada on the east side of the Rockies, the smoke has blocked out the sun here. It makes for gorgeous sunrises and sets but hellish breathing ...I fear the lovely British Columbia in these parts will be charred as well.

Some of it is from fire, some of it is from drought. We went on a 5 day camping trip @ a state park in Oklahoma and there was a burn ban. Even thought it got down to the 50's with rain we still couldn't light a fire to keep warm by. Thank god the engines on the atv's get hot quick..I hugged mine alot while watching the men play in the sand.. :p
minks

Post by minks »

Banshee wrote: Some of it is from fire, some of it is from drought. We went on a 5 day camping trip @ a state park in Oklahoma and there was a burn ban. Even thought it got down to the 50's with rain we still couldn't light a fire to keep warm by. Thank god the engines on the atv's get hot quick..I hugged mine alot while watching the men play in the sand.. :p

Nasty weather.

― Mae West
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Things are beginning to turn green, just in time for fall :rolleyes: We've had more rain this August than we've had all year. So I'm wondering what mother nature is gonna throw at us this winter. :-2

my son
minks

Post by minks »

Sheryl wrote: Things are beginning to turn green, just in time for fall :rolleyes: We've had more rain this August than we've had all year. So I'm wondering what mother nature is gonna throw at us this winter. :-2

*minks covers ears and shudders after hearing Sheryl use the W word*

― Mae West
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

sorry Minks, didn't mean to scare you! :D

my son
minks

Post by minks »

Sheryl wrote: sorry Minks, didn't mean to scare you! :D

my brown coat will turn white just at the use of the W word :wah:

― Mae West
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

:wah: :wah:

The last really bad snowstorm I can remeber around here was in 98. And the only reason I remeber it was cause Dave and his best friend got snowed in in Amarillo. Apparantly they lost track of time while drinking beer and shooting pool :rolleyes:

my son

Return to “South West”