Are there any Buddhists here?

Discuss Sikhism, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Kabbalah, others.
Beth

Post by Beth »

Ok, thanks for the background info on the poster.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Beth wrote: Ok, thanks for the background info on the poster.

Out of curiousity how did you know that the material involved was from a pm?
Beth

Post by Beth »

kensloft wrote: Out of curiousity how did you know that the material involved was from a pm?Because the post clearly says:"lesley

from the PM you sent me:"
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Beth wrote: Because the post clearly says:"lesley

from the PM you sent me:"

Having re-read the thread I realize that koan did say that she had used a pm to put informaton back into the forum where it belonged. However, you have either willingly taken out of context the admission that a pm had been used and inserted your interpretation of what had been said in the information that had been released. Your argument does not substantiate the allegations.

I am sure that if the lines that you attribute to koan having devolved back onto the thread are such, then she will readily tell us if she did so. Furthermore, even if she did it doesn't change anything because the remarks are vindictive, specious and fraught with falsehoods about the beliefs of Bhuddists.

If you want to follow that line of rationale that is used by leslie then you should realize what is readily apparent to many others, and that she is guilty of worshipping the man made idol of the Bible.

What is it that the Dude said about throwing stones? I know it didn't have anything to do with glass houses.
koan

Post by koan »

I think the question was answered and issue resolved. Please let me know if there is still a concern.
Beth

Post by Beth »

Kensloft: I used to be fundamentalist Christian, there are many that follow her rationale, including my in laws. So I am aware of what she is saying is true to her and true to many people. To her, I believe her boldly declaring "god's word" is done out of love(not the type of love most understand. The type of love that would cause her to do anything to try to get you saved. It is love that many fundamentalists are taught. WE see it as hatred and bigotry.). Yaweh is often a vengeful and cruel god. She is telling you of your folly so you will be stricken by the holy spirit to be saved. I was not like this, though. It always hurt me. I guess, hence, the atheism.

Koan: Yes you have. I was just concerned. In all of the boards I have previously participated in, grievances were to be taken in PM. So I was concerned that if I disagreed with someone, they would be able to publish whatever I had said in PM. I never have participated in a board that moderation had no frowned on it. But you have cleared things up for me, thank you. :)
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Beth wrote: Kensloft: I used to be fundamentalist Christian, there are many that follow her rationale, including my in laws. So I am aware of what she is saying is true to her and true to many people. To her, I believe her boldly declaring "god's word" is done out of love(not the type of love most understand. The type of love that would cause her to do anything to try to get you saved. It is love that many fundamentalists are taught. WE see it as hatred and bigotry.). Yaweh is often a vengeful and cruel god. She is telling you of your folly so you will be stricken by the holy spirit to be saved. I was not like this, though. It always hurt me. I guess, hence, the atheism.

Koan: Yes you have. I was just concerned. In all of the boards I have previously participated in, grievances were to be taken in PM. So I was concerned that if I disagreed with someone, they would be able to publish whatever I had said in PM. I never have participated in a board that moderation had no frowned on it. But you have cleared things up for me, thank you. :)

Thank you.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

BlueMoon wrote: Well I am a Jain and Jainism is very much alike to Buddhism. They began around the same time period too. A lot of Jains later took on Buddhism.
Welcome to the garden BlueMoon. I hope you like the forum. Lots to do with people from all over the world. Intelligent and caring. I am looking forward to your posts.

A little before Bhuddism but in the view of things quite contemporaneous.
koan

Post by koan »

jennifer35 wrote: I believe that the ego is a mini being that controls us. I wonder if we were programmed when children, with a conscience, ideas, desires, and when we go against that programming we are in trouble. My belief is a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism and a few other religions thrown in, that is when I can believe at all. But, I must admit that that Buddhism is the one which can give me peace. Jenni

Welcome to the garden, Jenni.

It seems a lot of people have incorporated different belief systems or practices into their own individual experience. I always agree that one should do what feels right. Hope to hear more from you on the forum.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Welcome to the garden, Jenni.

It seems a lot of people have incorporated different belief systems or practices into their own individual experience. I always agree that one should do what feels right. Hope to hear more from you on the forum.
Welcome to the garden jenni. You will find that there is very little difference between your beliefs and those of many others here in this oasis from the hub-bub of life. Bhuddism lets you know and understand that it is all interconnected. Nothing happens that doesn't effect the rest. Happy posting. You'll find a diverse group tht believes that helping is the way to liberate.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

flowers wrote: Hi everyone, my mother's side of the family (what's left) is buddhist and my father's side is meant to be catholic. I've always felt more in touch and comfortable with buddhism. But also I've felt misunderstood and isolated, the further I've taken it. Sometimes I reckon to be a true buddhist I'd have to leave the city to pursue the philosophy and wisdom. Ironically I think it takes a big sacrifice to fully appreciate and understand enlightenment. I wear a tiny jade buddha round my neck which has been in my mum's family for generations. When I met my buddhist cousin in H. Kong she asked me how I'd feel if I lost the buddha or it got stolen. I said I'd be devastated. She replied that I had no inkling of what buddha was because you cannot feel, see or touch buddhism. And sentimental materialism meant nothing to the real meaning of buddhism.

As a mixed race person religion confuses the hell out of me and as a woman I'm not willing to devote to any religion that places women below men.

:o
I, equally, have no place for a religion that places women in inferiior positions.

The bhudda reminds you of your roots. Your cousin seems to be insinuating that you have no understanding of Bhuddism because you are attached to material goods. You fear the loss of the Bhudda which cuts you off from the ethereal world that is of the spirituality that guides people's lives. This is not necessarily what you are doing but it does appear that way to others that don't know you.

If you lost it you would be devastated but the world will continue as would you. It is a reminder of a belief that is in your soul. Develop it. Remember what it is that you are searching for and it will do the rest. Not the Bhudda. Your spirit will do the rest.
koan

Post by koan »

flowers :-6

You tell the necklace story as if it was done with insulting intent. You may have taken it that way but there is a chance that it was said out of support for your search and love for you.

Many lessons of Buddhism come out very direct and insulting but it is meant to help you move beyond your ego and the things that your ego bonds with so as to identify itself.

If you rethink how the comment was made do you see it in a different light? If not and the comment was said as an insult then it is only a sign that the speaker is still on their own Buddhist journey and has much to learn about their own ego.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: flowers :-6

You tell the necklace story as if it was done with insulting intent. You may have taken it that way but there is a chance that it was said out of support for your search and love for you.

Many lessons of Buddhism come out very direct and insulting but it is meant to help you move beyond your ego and the things that your ego bonds with so as to identify itself.

If you rethink how the comment was made do you see it in a different light? If not and the comment was said as an insult then it is only a sign that the speaker is still on their own Buddhist journey and has much to learn about their own ego.
You are always so eloquent in letting people know that there are other ways to look at the things that have happened in the past. I appreciate your gray areas as opposed the black and white that could be the norm except that your interventions and clarity shine the light on the other possibilities. Thank you for your insights.
Beth

Post by Beth »

I agree with the interpretation of the necklace anecdote. Buddhism, in my concept of it, is a striving to learn to live simplisticly and and to learn to place low value on possessions and that which is materialistic. I like the philosophy of Zen Buddhism and have entertained studying it. I have no desire to follow Buddhism as a religion, but to adapt some of its philosophies into my life.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

PrinceMelek wrote: I agree - Koan, that was a really nice alternate perspective....

Speaking as someone who has a Buddhist Lama for a father I know what it's like growing up with Buddhist principles but not what it's like to follow Buddhism, 'the religion'. In fact, I find it difficult to see it as a religion at all, as it promotes such compassion and understanding of every individual's perspectives. As such, I make a life out of trying to see and appreciate other people's perspectives in all situations....the operative word is trying, I'm no saint :-3

Also true, what the Dalai Lama said about fighting when it matters. What a lot of people don't know is that Buddhists are not all passive, just like they are not all vegetarian. There are many strains of buddhism, all which have varying interpretations of the teachings of Buddha....

What else do people know about Buddhism?
Which sect?
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Bill.

Thank you for your concern and direction. I am a Bhuddist and know that what you see before you is only the illusion of head-knocking. It would be tough to put it into a metaphor. So I am not going to try because I hope that you will understand.A Bhuddist eh, thought they were peaceful folk.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: A Bhuddist eh, thought they were peaceful folk.
We are very peaceful people but when there is evil that thinks that it can gain its foothold by using this aspect to the detriment of those that would practice it, then we have run out of cheeks to hit or turn. Better to die and leave the earth on its path to liberation than it is to acquiesce to evil that would enslave mankind throughout the ages.

We can always come back and continue from where we were.
koan

Post by koan »

kensloft wrote:

We can always come back and continue from where we were.
:D That is an advantage ain't it?
koan

Post by koan »

PrinceMelek wrote:

Speaking as someone who has a Buddhist Lama for a father I know what it's like growing up with Buddhist principles but not what it's like to follow Buddhism, 'the religion'. In fact, I find it difficult to see it as a religion at all, as it promotes such compassion and understanding of every individual's perspectives. As such, I make a life out of trying to see and appreciate other people's perspectives in all situations....the operative word is trying, I'm no saint :-3

Also true, what the Dalai Lama said about fighting when it matters. What a lot of people don't know is that Buddhists are not all passive, just like they are not all vegetarian. There are many strains of buddhism, all which have varying interpretations of the teachings of Buddha....

What else do people know about Buddhism?

I must admit to a smidge of envy for people who grow up with guides as parents. But envy is evil so BEGONE!

The compassion taught by Buddhism is unequaled in my studies so far. This is my attraction to it, despite being somewhat "organized".

People think hippies were passive too. :-2

Buddhism is not so much about knowing as being. In fact I think it is the antithesis of knowing. As a die hard intellectual, this is why I need a little Buddhism in my life.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

jennifer35 wrote: I personally don't really see Buddhism as a religion, I abhor religion, it has tolerance, no understanding, no compassion, all it wants to do is to control. Buddhism to me, is a way of life, not a religion, or at least 'my' form of it. I like what you say Prince Melek. Jenny
Bhuddism is a way of life. The other religions are ways of life, It is how one practices his faith that dictates how they live. Bhuddism is more doing and the otheers are more acting like they are doing what is right. We all know there is a big difference.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

jennifer35 wrote: Everything is a way of life. What about the way of life in England after Henry 8th's children came to the throne, this today, off with the heads, that tomorrow, burn them. Not to mention the Spanish inquisition and the witch hunts. That to me is religion an enforced thing. What say you to the minds working at that time, I would be interested to hear. Jenny
When you are talking about then you are not talking now. If you aren't talking about now then you aren't taking care of the present. If you aren't taking care of the present then what's your point?
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

jennifer35 wrote: Much food for thought, I shall digest that and return. Can I speak freely on here Kensloft? Jenny
Um... er... Ah... yeah... don't see why not. No swearing! They frown on that.
koan

Post by koan »

Prince Melek, Is that how you get people to like you more? Sheesh, I need to meditate more...all this time at the tip of my fingers.

Jenny,

I'm not sure what your point was either. If you can express it differently it would be helpful. Kensloft made a very Buddhist observation.

You may say anything you like...even if we don't like it. (I won't edit you, I promise) :D
koan

Post by koan »

There is a lot that can cause anger happening in the world now and in the past and most likely in the future. The only thing you can affect is the present. If you are compelled to take action and speak out against the things that bother you than you must. The buddhist mind would take peace in knowing that there is cause and reason for everything and that there is also balance and justice. That justice will come when the time is ready. Right action also has right timing. It is beyond us to know what that justice will be and who deserves what.
koan

Post by koan »

jennifer35 wrote: Thank you Koan. I felt a peace on reading your message. I suppose by my judging, I am playing God. I have a 'secret' garden room in which I sit and meditate, a very peaceful spot, and a mossy stump upon which I lay flowers. When I figure out how to put a photo on here I will show you. Thanks for helping me along the Way. Jenny

I'm glad I helped. I'll look forward to the photo.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I'm glad I helped. I'll look forward to the photo.
koan kind o' has that effect on people.
Philadelphia Eagle

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

I was born into Christianity but became a Buddhist while living in a buddhist country (Thailand). My wife is Thai and so has been a Buddhist since birth. Buddhism is a very compassionate religion and never attempts to convert or otherwise influence people of other persuasions. It seems to be the only major religion not to have conflicts fought over it. With its peaceful and tolerant outlook on life many think of it as the exact opposite of Islam.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
koan

Post by koan »

It is truly a credit to Buddhism that they have not been involved in starting conflict or persecution. Speaks volumes.

I'm not sure about the "opposite" thing and singling out one specific comparison. I'm thinking about it.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Welcome Philidelphia Eagle. Living with compassion makes life easier for all concerned. Enjoy your posting. Speak your mind.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i would say i have no religion, brought up in a bigoted family tends to make you go one way or the other, recently i have aquired a buddist chants & peace music c.d which is so beautiful it led to me searching for the teachings of buddism, i have discovered that what you read depends very much on what religious order have posted the information, i would be obliged if any of the members here would care to take the time to post some links for me to view that are accurate, many thanks
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

buttercup wrote: i would say i have no religion, brought up in a bigoted family tends to make you go one way or the other, recently i have aquired a buddist chants & peace music c.d which is so beautiful it led to me searching for the teachings of buddism, i have discovered that what you read depends very much on what religious order have posted the information, i would be obliged if any of the members here would care to take the time to post some links for me to view that are accurate, many thanks
It would help to pick up the Tibetan Book of the Dead. The Tibetan form of Bhuddism is more in line with being an inner seeking and practice. Put "tibetan book of the dead" into the address bar and search.

Three Pillars of Zen by Phillip Kapleau is an interesting insight and practice of the art of meditation. Put his name into the address bar and you will come up with other books and schools that he has started.

Enjoy.
Bez

Post by Bez »

koan wrote: Just wondering if we have Buddhists in the Garden and how you came to the religion if not raised in it.

I have been practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin for 2 months having been encouraged by my 37 year old daughter. I am 58 and come from a Christian background (Church of England). Try www.sgi-uk.org or www.sgi-usa.org for more info. The SGI has members in 150 countries. I could go on with loads more detail but anyone really interested should get on the net.

Thre are no temples or churches....we meet and chant and discuss in peoples homes and community halls.....we advocate world peace and respect for people and the environment. The SGI works in partnership with United nations agencies so is well respected.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Bez:-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Just wondering if we have Buddhists in the Garden and how you came to the religion if not raised in it.

I'm not a Buddhist but I've studied buddhism. My father has been a Buddhist since the late 70's so I've learned so much from him. Buddhism is a beautiful religion and its precepts are what I tend to follow.

1. I undertake the precept to refrain from harming living creatures (killing).

2. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not freely given (stealing).

3. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.

4. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech (lying, harsh language, slander, idle chit-chat).

5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Thanks for your reply. I belong to the SGI (soka gakkai international). We follow the buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. The SGI is a large organisation in the US as well as round the world and they have an excellent website you could look at if you're interested.

Anyway, thanks again rainbow smiles (love you name)

Warm wishes

Bez:-6 :-6
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I'd be very interested in their website... do you have a link?

Thanks for the compliment! :)
Bez

Post by Bez »

Hi there

This is the website of the SGI in the USA....they in turn have links to organisations all over the world.

www.sgi-usa.org/

I also belong to a message group that has loads of members from the US

groups.msn.com/SokaGakkaiSGI

(couldn't post link but you can copy and paste into browser.)

Warm wishes.............Bez :-6
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Thanks Bez. I appreciate it!

Return to “Eastern Religions”