Are there any Buddhists here?

Discuss Sikhism, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Kabbalah, others.
koan

Post by koan »

Just wondering if we have Buddhists in the Garden and how you came to the religion if not raised in it.
weeder

Post by weeder »

koan wrote: Just wondering if we have Buddhists in the Garden and how you came to the religion if not raised in it.
I believe in the basic teachings of Buddhism. To practice the religion is a 24 hour a day endeavor. I do not believe in asking others to support your living expenses

while laying around PRACTICING any religion. And again..it is religion. The core

of the philosospy is compassion. All good things stem from that. Its so easy, and simple, My son John studied Buddhism for years. He was very involved. Even learned to speak Tibetan. I thought he was going through a weird stage. I happened to start reading some of his books. I had a remarkable discovery. Oh my God ! These are outlooks I have had, since Im 16 years old! So I guess the religion is just WEEDER! WEEDERS religion, and it is similar to Buddhism.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Post by koan »

I have read some Tibetan Buddhism and found it very resonant. (The best way I can describe it) I know what you mean about finding something that describes what you have believed for a long time. This is how I have assembled the KOANist "religion". Slowly incorporating all the info that resonated harmoniously with what I feel to be True. I am awestruck with the sand art tradition of the Buddhists that spend immense amounts of time forming mandalas out of coloured sand then after celebrating them, wipe them away. When I was a teen I used to sculpt out of plasticene then squish them after they had been on my shelf for about a week and make something new. I also appreciate their approach to Ego. Can you post some of the tenets or teachings that have most influenced you?
koan

Post by koan »

lesley wrote: enlightenment means little in comparason to redemption xx tried buddism.. whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx
Yes. I see evidence of stupid people every day. Even when I'm trying not to look.
koan

Post by koan »

Yes I am mocking you. Enlightenment actually means a lot. But you are welcome to your opinion.
koan

Post by koan »

lesley wrote: mocking....so is that atraditional peacekeeping exercise by the buddists.... and i had said it means nothing in comparason too.....i dont think you have what it takes to be buddist flowerxx

As I said. You are welcome to your opinion on all counts.

BTW you insult Buddhists with your comparison.
koan

Post by koan »

lesley wrote: so i can have an opinion so long as i dont use comparason.....and now you speak for all buddists then........
:yh_ttth

Are you saying you do not welcome me to have my own opinion?
weeder

Post by weeder »

Buddhists are pacifists,, They do not agressively defend their beliefs.. They simply live them.. quietly. They do not criticize or judge others. They are not defensive.

They steadfastly stand as silent examples of goodness, love and light. Even amidst the suffering they have endured.. they are very very quiet people.
koan

Post by koan »

lesley wrote: enlightenment means little in comparason to redemption xx tried buddism.. whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx
This was your first post in this thread. We had a lovely discussion happening then you aggressively say that enlightenment, the quest of a Buddhist, means nothing in comparison to YOUR (ego) quest for redemption. You then go on to imply that Buddhists are stupid people worshiping man made idols. And you call me antagonistic?

mocking...so is that atraditional peacekeeping exercise by the buddists

Did you expect Buddhists to be an easy target because they are too peaceful to retort to your rudeness? Sorry to disappoint you. There are no easy targets in this Garden.
weeder

Post by weeder »

lesley wrote: they live quietly.... not sure they all blindingly great examples of love and light..... but i have and do find koan to be very aggressive
How agressive an individual grows to be is dependant on the circumstances life

presents them. I am exceptionally agressive, and darn proud of it. My agressiveness has enabled me to not only survive, but to flourish . It also enables us to take a chance, step outside ourselves, and interact with other people who enhance our lives.It also would serve you well to understand that it is quite impossible to really know what someone is or isnt.. when you have only caught fleeting glimpses of their nature. It takes a very long time to have an accurate

portrait of . The most creative minded humans change almost every day. Knowing them is exhilirating because it is challenging.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

weeder wrote: The most creative minded humans change almost every day. Knowing them is exhilirating because it is challenging.
It appears that "challenging" is not what certain people are after around here, lately. It seems that what peple are after is a place where they can waltz in, be rude, judgemental and try to sound superior, while the rest of us sit by and think, "Sheesh, what a bozo!".

Between Boris and Lesley, I'd say we are in for some wonderful entertainment. I need a good laugh every day!! :yh_bigsmi I was going to "ignore" them both, but since I like all the normal people in here so much, it will be refreshing to have someone to laugh at!

*anticipating the analyses by the all-seeing Boris* :yh_wait
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

koan

Post by koan »

weeder wrote: The most creative minded humans change almost every day. Knowing them is exhilirating because it is challenging.

I love this, weeder. What a brilliant observation. :-6
koan

Post by koan »

lesley

from the PM you sent me:

i will leave the forum today... so i apologise that you wont be able to get the last word...

Did you leave and decide to come back...or are you trying to fix us all before your grand exit?

You also said:

i speak with authority because i have it.....

Just wondering who bestowed this honour on you?
koan

Post by koan »

BabyRider wrote: It appears that "challenging" is not what certain people are after around here, lately. It seems that what peple are after is a place where they can waltz in, be rude, judgemental and try to sound superior, while the rest of us sit by and think, "Sheesh, what a bozo!".

Between Boris and Lesley, I'd say we are in for some wonderful entertainment. I need a good laugh every day!! :yh_bigsmi I was going to "ignore" them both, but since I like all the normal people in here so much, it will be refreshing to have someone to laugh at!

*anticipating the analyses by the all-seeing Boris* :yh_wait

BabyRider, you are lovely just the way you are! You require no more or less patience than you already have.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

koan wrote: lesley

from the PM you sent me:

Did you leave and decide to come back...or are you trying to fix us all before your grand exit?

You also said:

Just wondering who bestowed this honour on you?
Lesley...

What kind of sophomoric game is being played here? You have the nerve to try and bestow your "wisdom" on us when it's obvious all you want to do is preach and judge, and then you try to apologize in private?? You're not really sorry at all. And your sarcasm about getting the last word in is lost on Koan, she dosen't concern herself with petty B.S. like who gets the last word. (Sorry for speaking FOR you, Koan, I can't take crap like this.) What a joke. You know, everyone else here is being very patient with you and tolerant OF you. I just can't be like that. Your "authority" sounds like a huge steaming load of fertilizer. I simply cannot stomach people like you who believe themselves superior on every subject. Guess what...You DON'T know everything. Shocking as that may be to you. Try LEARNING something around here for a change.

I'm dedicating my new keychain to you. It says: "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

If you think you need to apologize to someone, why not do it in public? The rest of us have the backbone to do it that way on the rare ocassion it becomes necessary. Usually we are all more respectful of each other.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

koan

Post by koan »

Actually getting the last word is a compulsion of mine. :o

But it only kicks in when the convo is of a joking matter. In arguements I usually only respond when a valid point is made or an insult has taken place. As Hannibal Lector says: There is no excuse for rudeness.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

koan wrote: Actually getting the last word is a compulsion of mine. :o

But it only kicks in when the convo is of a joking matter. In arguements I usually only respond when a valid point is made or an insult has taken place. As Hannibal Lector says: There is no excuse for rudeness.
Yes, Hannibal WAS very polite as he disemboweled his victims, wasn't he?

*chortling and rubbing hands together with a wicked little smile on my face*

:yh_devil
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

weeder

Post by weeder »

Lesley. I am so sorry.. but I have not made any determination regarding your nature or your character.I am too busy... I have only made two observations. Firstly, You do not make too much sense, Secondly, I feel very sad when nonsence like this thread take place here. It ruins the normally sane and enlightening oasis it usually is for me. I would be pleased if the posters I have come to hold in high esteem would stop this.. and then you would just go away.

They do not need to feel agitated.. they need to be calm so that they can continue to contribute here in their usual kind and creative manner.
weeder

Post by weeder »

I am praying that you live in a very very remote and secluded place. A location where other human beings never have any contact with you. And by the grace of God.. that vulnerable young people never cross your path. Your words are poision,

and your unconcealed hatred and disdain for people you dont even know.. is horrifying. But then ..I also know that this is exactly the response you are probing for. The price you will pay for your searing and obnoxious contributions to life is being alone.
koan

Post by koan »

boris wrote: well i for one am sorry to c lesley go, she being one of the few people here with any real life experience or understanding of anything!

well suppose i must now leave back to my reality and leave you sad misguided lot to it! (special reference to koan and babyrider) actually is that by nature as well as by name "BABYRIDER"???

keep on doing what you do people, you may find the truth one day or you may just continue to debate shite forever!

as i have said before THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE, but as with everything else i have said, it's completely wasted on folk who already believe they are free!

I will no longer cast my pearls before pigs!

this is the last word and it's "conceited"

I think "for one" is about the number of people who will miss her.

Maybe you do know yourself. Your last word was indeed "conceited".
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Yes I am mocking you. Enlightenment actually means a lot. But you are welcome to your opinion.

Before Enlightenment... chopping wood, carrying water.

After Enlightenment... chopping wood, carrying water.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

weeder wrote: Buddhists are pacifists,, They do not agressively defend their beliefs.. They simply live them.. quietly. They do not criticize or judge others. They are not defensive.

They steadfastly stand as silent examples of goodness, love and light. Even amidst the suffering they have endured.. they are very very quiet people.

The Dalai Lama, praised as a man of peace and love by an interviewer, said, when talking about Nazism and fascism, If a wild animal attacks you, you must defend yourself or you will die.

There are times to be a pacifist. There are times to pass a fist no matter whose head in in the way.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

lesley wrote: they live quietly.... not sure they all blindingly great examples of love and light..... but i have and do find koan to be very aggressive

Is it aggression when one sees that the points being put out by another are inaccurate?

Is it aggression when the party putting out the points reacts to their being questioned about their stance?

Aggression, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

lesley wrote: mocking....so is that atraditional peacekeeping exercise by the buddists.... and i had said it means nothing in comparason too.....i dont think you have what it takes to be buddist flowerxx

Spoken like a true wannabe Bhuddist. No clue as to what is going on in the soul. Full of ideas and ideals that must be right because they come from you. Spoken like a person that has still not shed their ego. Spoken with disdain for the views of others that shows that compassion is only a word that is written and without meaning.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

boris wrote: Lesley

cast out the mocker and her blindingly enourmous ego!

what a w~#ker

wanker is an acceptable word in North America. Just as masturbator is acceptable.

If you think Koan has a large ego, then you should look in the mirror.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

boris wrote: well i for one am sorry to c lesley go, she being one of the few people here with any real life experience or understanding of anything!
If you are lucky? She will send you her email address and you can spend the rest of your lives talking about how smart you are.

as i have said before THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE

It is another reference the the Bible's words that can be used as symbolically to denote the Bhuddist ways.

As ye sow, so shall thee reap could be translated into the Bhuddist thought of Karma. Hopefully your Karma will be of the instant kind that will bring you back to apologize to people here before they become the doddering old fools that you want them to be.

I will no longer cast my pearls before pigs!

You made these pearls up? Wow! I'm impressed.

this is the last word and it's "conceited"
Taken out of context, like you enjoy doing, I could argue the point that the last word starts with a Zed or zee.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

This is not a reply to anyone in particular on this thread.

"Flippin' 'eck. Grow up. You want your heads knocking together".
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Bill Sikes wrote: This is not a reply to anyone in particular on this thread.

"Flippin' 'eck. Grow up. You want your heads knocking together".

Bill.

Thank you for your concern and direction. I am a Bhuddist and know that what you see before you is only the illusion of head-knocking. It would be tough to put it into a metaphor. So I am not going to try because I hope that you will understand.
Beth

Post by Beth »

I may be missing something, but why post quotes from a person's PM to another? To me, that seems in bad form, it is a private communication that nettiquette mandates that remain private to a public venue. Also, unless some of this conversation was edited, I really don't see what exactly was the big deal about Leslie's posts. I have not read her posts prior to this thread, however, so I am not sure if there is a past history of her posting is.

Anyhoo, if there was a problem with her initial post: "enlightenment means little in comparason to redemption xx tried buddism.. whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx" Rather than insulting her remark, it would have been better form to ask her to better clarify her position and to challenge exactly what is involved in her faith.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Beth wrote: I may be missing something, but why post quotes from a person's PM to another? To me, that seems in bad form, it is a private communication that nettiquette mandates that remain private to a public venue. Also, unless some of this conversation was edited, I really don't see what exactly was the big deal about Leslie's posts. I have not read her posts prior to this thread, however, so I am not sure if there is a past history of her posting is.

There are no pm's being quoted here as you see I am taking what you said and answering it. Ther is no bad form on this site. People do what they do with integrity. Anybody that thinks that they can improperly use these threads in in for a big surprise!

Anyhoo, if there was a problem with her initial post: "enlightenment means little in comparason to redemption xx tried buddism.. whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx" Rather than insulting her remark, it would have been better form to ask her to better clarify her position and to challenge exactly what is involved in her faith.

Doing something once does not make you an expert. The expertise that is alleged to be in the possession of the poster is no more valid than having gotten on a bicycle once and then claiming the expertise of people like Armstrong. It doen't hold water!

If she was going to be around that would have been nice. But her intent was to insult the moderator and leave. Not only was she going to insult the moderator, she was going to make it seem as if her expertise on the world of religion was the last word of where things were at in this life!

One of the problems with the Bible is that it can be contextualized to suit anybody's purpose. This is what you are witnessing here. You see the truth of what is said in the Bible and apply it to what you see in this thread. If there is no lie with what the Bible is saying then it follows that the inference is that the others must be lying or don't understand truth.

This is one of those situations where you had to be there to appreciate what was going on in the debate. There was to be no clarification. Only bitter castigation of others.

Not only is the adoration of false symbols happening today it was and is the same thing that has been going on for millennia. It is nothing new. It is a constant.

I am not trying to be curt with you or smart. I am just trying to explain to you what it is that you are looking at on this thread.

In peace.
Beth

Post by Beth »

kensloft wrote: There are no pm's being quoted here as you see I am taking what you said and answering it. Ther is no bad form on this site. People do what they do with integrity. Anybody that thinks that they can improperly use these threads in in for a big surprise! In this post, supposedly pieces of Leslie's PM is being quoted.

Doing something once does not make you an expert. The expertise that is alleged to be in the possession of the poster is no more valid than having gotten on a bicycle once and then claiming the expertise of people like Armstrong. It doen't hold water!

If she was going to be around that would have been nice. But her intent was to insult the moderator and leave. Not only was she going to insult the moderator, she was going to make it seem as if her expertise on the world of religion was the last word of where things were at in this life!

I am not so sure she directly insulted the moderator, at least not initially.

One of the problems with the Bible is that it can be contextualized to suit anybody's purpose. This is what you are witnessing here. You see the truth of what is said in the Bible and apply it to what you see in this thread. If there is no lie with what the Bible is saying then it follows that the inference is that the others must be lying or don't understand truth.

This is one of those situations where you had to be there to appreciate what was going on in the debate. There was to be no clarification. Only bitter castigation of others. I suppose, but unless something had been edited from Leslie's posts, I do not understand the bitter castigation of the posts. Some person that I assume to be a Christian makes a comment about people who are misguided and who do not follow her god; a statement that she holds true because the Bible tells her so and then she gets insulted.

Not only is the adoration of false symbols happening today it was and is the same thing that has been going on for millennia. It is nothing new. It is a constant.

I am not trying to be curt with you or smart. I am just trying to explain to you what it is that you are looking at on this thread.

In peace.
Thank you, but I still don't believe your descriptive matches what I saw in this thread.
Jives

Post by Jives »

(jives reads the thread, then decides to sidestep the controversy)

Well....ummm... I had a teacher once that was a Buddhist. He was very interesting. I can't remember much since it was in 1974, but as I recall he said something like, "All pain is caused by selfishness. If you were entirely unselfish, you would feel no pain."

So we replied, "What if someone breaks your arm?"

And he said, "You only feel pain because you wish your arm wasn't broken. You are being selfish."

Interesting, but I still don't get it. :confused:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Jives wrote: (jives reads the thread, then decides to sidestep the controversy)

Well....ummm... I had a teacher once that was a Buddhist. He was very interesting. I can't remember much since it was in 1974, but as I recall he said something like, "All pain is caused by selfishness. If you were entirely unselfish, you would feel no pain."

So we replied, "What if someone breaks your arm?"

And he said, "You only feel pain because you wish your arm wasn't broken. You are being selfish."

Interesting, but I still don't get it. :confused:

Broke my humerous near the shoulder. It was a difficult break that required surgery and pins. It took them about six hours in the hospital to figure out what to do. No pain killers. Finally when they realized that it was far more serious than they thought the nurses' shift changed and in entered a nurse that the doctor addressed and said, 'This guy has been here since nine o'clock in the morning, we have been all over him, he has had no pain killers and he still hasn't said a swear word?"
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Beth wrote: In this post, supposedly pieces of Leslie's PM is being quoted.

I am not so sure she directly insulted the moderator, at least not initially.

I suppose, but unless something had been edited from Leslie's posts, I do not understand the bitter castigation of the posts. Some person that I assume to be a Christian makes a comment about people who are misguided and who do not follow her god; a statement that she holds true because the Bible tells her so and then she gets insulted.

Thank you, but I still don't believe your descriptive matches what I saw in this thread.

I suggest that you re-read the thread and come back and try and say what you said again. What I clearly see is an assertion by leslie that is an insult and when she was mocked for her attitude she carried it on to another level. She did not make a statement she asserted that ...

enlightenment means little in comparason to redemption xx tried buddism.. whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx

There is no editing of the facts on this site. This is all she wrote. To build your case with the contention that it could have been edited is calling the people involved liars. If you want to talk about good form then you should practice it.
Beth

Post by Beth »

Excuse me, my gripe is the fact that a PM was quoted in this thread. I have called no one a liar. I understand what she wrote offended, of course "whilst reading the od testament i found a part were God speaks of stupid people worshipping man made idols that can neither hear them or see them never mind answer them......it blew me away... cos thats exactly whats happening in the world even todayx" would offend. But it does not justify a PM being quoted by a moderator in a public thread.
koan

Post by koan »

I don't recall anything in the regulations that says PMs may not be quoted. I did not reveal anything of a personal nature that was sent in confidence. The quotations were brief and merely said that she was supposed to be leaving the forum and asking where she got her authority from. These are things she could have put on the boards herself as it is in keeping with everything else she was saying in her posts. Merely a good summary. I did not wish to engage in PMs with her. There was much I could have quoted but did not out of discretion. There were two threads involved in this conflict. lesley was determined to oust me and replace me as moderator. If she felt she had more authority for the position I wanted to know if the members agreed. As it turns out they seem happy with the status quo.

Anything in a PM sent to me or anyone else becomes their "property". If I am threatened I have the right to reveal it and ask for help, as an example. It is against the regs to reveal such things as a person's real name etc. Lesley used my PM box as an extension of the boards and I returned her to the proper arena.

I do appreciate your concern but do not agree that it was inappropriate in what was reprinted. Search for lesley and Boris to see the rest of the story...can't remember what the other thread was.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Sure was a surprise to see THIS thread pop up again!! Geez, I thought we'd had all the drama we needed recently! Beth, I'm with Koan on this one, (Well, on MOST one's, to be honest), that she didn't do anything wrong by quoting lesley. Lesley had come in to the Garden with an attitude of "I'm taking over because I'm smarter, better, more intelligent, and more experienced." If you have checked out her other threads, you'll find that she is an "expert" in a wide variety of things. She didn't want to contribute and be involved, she wanted to preach and lecture. It is considered bad "nettiquette" to attempt to engage in this sort of behavior in private. It is also considered bad "nettiquette" to jump into a forum and start throwing your weight around. (I mean this in regards to lesley, not you.) Koan was entirely justified in bringing back into public what was already in public and needed to remain there.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

koan

Post by koan »

BabyRider wrote: Koan was entirely justified in bringing back into public what was already in public and needed to remain there.

Thanks for responding, BR.

I make mistakes and am open to criticism. I feel this use was justified or at least acceptable but am always interested in other opinions. I wouldn't want to be seen as a tyrant or to abuse my position.

I understand your concern, Beth. If there was an established rapport in the PM boxes then I would have breached her trust if nothing else. As it was, I did not give her permission to PM me and there was never any trust or friendship between the two of us to be breached. If you don't like someone I would suggest being careful what is PMed to them. PMs are usually used by friends or to clarify some problem and there is no reason to reveal the contents. I usually ask permission from the sender if I want to share something.

Return to “Eastern Religions”