My Right Foot

spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

I have a puzzle regarding my health. I suspect I could dig out a dozen and become thoroughly hypochondriac if I tried, but let's not do that. I have a right foot. Clear so far?

Imagine that I place my middle three right fingers with my index finger centred on my right anklebone, and mark a point on my foot where the lowest finger reaches.

There's nothing to see there, no lividity, no depression, no scratch.

If I stretch my legs, point my toes straight out and then bring my right foot back to its normal position, something just below trhe surface at that point feels as though a recent cut tears open. I can see there's no cut, and no internal bleeding, but there is a pain which if I had a cut there on the surface I would describe as a mending deep cut coming open.

I assume I'm not abnormal, in which case someone else should have had a similar problem and perhaps a better clue of what's at work. Has something come apart inside my foot? If so, why is there no massing of blood at the site? If nothing is damaged, whence the pain?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
valerie

My Right Foot

Post by valerie »

Is it a really sharp pain? Take your breath away type? Or more of an

ache type?

My guess is you've got a nerve that gets "pinched" and that'll do it to

ya every time, my friend.

(You would have loved seeing me here putting my fingers on my ankle!!)

;)

Have you tried anti-inflamms? Staying off it? RICE? (Rest, Ice,

Compression, Elevation)

Wear comfy footwear if you don't already. If it IS a nerve thing, can

take a long time to get better.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

pina

My Right Foot

Post by pina »

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you Spot that you have a dead foot, but not all is lost, there is a special offer on at Tesco. Buy one right foot and get one free, not a bad offer for only 9.99 you'll even have a spare in case anything goes wrong. :wah:

minks

My Right Foot

Post by minks »

Any other pain like butt or lower back??? Just curious cause sciatica starts with lower back and can radiate to butt, back of leg and foot.

If just your foot perhaps you have strained something. Rest it up and if it keeps going for more than a few days get ye to a doctor.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

valerie wrote: Is it a really sharp pain? Take your breath away type? Or more of an

ache type?

My guess is you've got a nerve that gets "pinched" and that'll do it to

ya every time, my friend.

(You would have loved seeing me here putting my fingers on my ankle!!)Phwoar. I should say so! I'd have volunteered to help!

Yes sharp and sudden, no ache at all. I spend most of my time barefoot, "comfy footwear" is rather foreign to my nature. I shall consider sandals.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
valerie

My Right Foot

Post by valerie »

Minksie has got a good idea on the sciatica thing. That's what I was

thinking of when I said nerve pain. It's a monstrously long nerve...

when I had it real bad I had a "pain in the butt"!!

;)

Barefoot isn't actually that bad, if you're used to it. The track coach

at Stanford (I think it was) had his runners spend some time

every week barefoot, strengthens arches and parts that don't build up

enough if they ALWAYS have support. In shoes.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Promise me, no socksSocks just make the bathwater blacker, I'm agin socks on principle.

Those concerned for my back or limber parts - limber? lumbar? one of those - I'm not aware of any problem there. I do know that my right hip can stab with an arthritic response if I'm so stupid as to pivot my entire weight on it, but I'm not that daft. I'm hoping that my current set of bones will see me out, and that visits to surgeries won't be called for.
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

valerie wrote: Minksie has got a good idea on the sciatica thing. That's what I was

thinking of when I said nerve pain. It's a monstrously long nerve...

when I had it real bad I had a "pain in the butt"!!I've experience of a trapped or abraided nerve. I cycled for around five hours on an unfamiliar pushbike with my right arm inadvertently locked instead of bent slightly, and too much weight pressing it to the handlebar on ground rough enough to put jolts against it. The next day I couldn't raise my arm to shoulder height, and it stayed like that for three months. The pain finally stopped about fifteen months later, but even then lifting anything heavy with that hand instantly brought a tingling reminder to take it easy. The ride was three years ago and I'm still aware of it now and then.

I didn't take that to the doctor either. I don't like doctors. I don't think I've consulted a doctor since I showed one my big toes and told him I had gout, and he replied that at my age I could expect it, the dog.
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: Well, there's the problem right there, isn't it?Some people get right on my whatsits, you know that Snooze? If we ever get to the same FG Meet there'll be no need to hire a floor show, we'll draw crowds, the two of us. News-crews. I may even restart taking unarmed combat lessons just in case. (not lessons, exactly. I got a book. Well, three books. There's pictures on most pages).

Thank you for your words of advice, members. I shall consider the state of my body and decide what next to bring to your attention.
valerie

My Right Foot

Post by valerie »

spot wrote: Some people get right on my whatsits, you know that Snooze? I shall consider the state of my body and decide what next to bring to your attention.

:yh_giggle :yh_giggle :yh_giggle
Tamsen's Dogster Page

spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

valerie wrote: :yh_giggle :yh_giggle :yh_giggleHah! That's so wonderful! Mad magazine used to do pages just like that which you folded together to get one picture and pulled apart to see what was really going on. We'll have to try doing that more often, valerie.

Or, as you might have it:

Hah! That's so wonderful! We'll have to try doing that more often, valerie.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

My Right Foot

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

spot wrote: Socks just make the bathwater blacker, I'm agin socks on principle.

Those concerned for my back or limber parts - limber? lumbar? one of those - I'm not aware of any problem there. I do know that my right hip can stab with an arthritic response if I'm so stupid as to pivot my entire weight on it, but I'm not that daft. I'm hoping that my current set of bones will see me out, and that visits to surgeries won't be called for.

I know it's slightly off topic but you mentioned arthritic pain can i ask what type of arthritis you have .:)
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: I know it's slightly off topic but you mentioned arthritic pain can i ask what type of arthritis you have .:)Solely rheumatoid arthritis, and so far at so slight a level that I've not been near medical advice. My fingers have had a couple of several-week episodes, and I know that eventually it will explode and not get back to normal. The longer I ignore it the less time it will have to inconvenience me. The thing with my hip is far more likely to be a nerve positioned badly which can pinch if I move incautiously. Both my big toes scream out now and then with rheumatic gout and I've no answer to that except patience. Most of the time they just throb a bit. I'd put my tinnitis down to Ménière's syndrome but since there's no practical assistance available for it I just leave it be and stay in or near chairs when I get giddy days.

Other than that I'm as fit as a fiddle.
minks

My Right Foot

Post by minks »

spot wrote: Solely rheumatoid arthritis, and so far at so slight a level that I've not been near medical advice. My fingers have had a couple of several-week episodes, and I know that eventually it will explode and not get back to normal. The longer I ignore it the less time it will have to inconvenience me. The thing with my hip is far more likely to be a nerve positioned badly which can pinch if I move incautiously. Both my big toes scream out now and then with rheumatic gout and I've no answer to that except patience. Most of the time they just throb a bit. I'd put my tinnitis down to Ménière's syndrome but since there's no practical assistance available for it I just leave it be and stay in or near chairs when I get giddy days.

Other than that I'm as fit as a fiddle.

well your laughing then cause you can out walk any youngster any day pal. Good onya :)

― Mae West
Bez

My Right Foot

Post by Bez »

Now... no laughing you lot....a few years ago i had 'trigger thumb' caused by osteoarthritis in my thumb joint. OK..arthritis causes bones to crumble as you know and the tendons and nerves were catching on the jagged bits. The pain was excrutiating and in the end I had steroid injections in the joint.This was supposed to last 6 months, but has actually lasted several years.

I occasionally have smilar pain in my index fingers and where my toes join my feet so I guess it's a similar problem. Like you spot, I only go to the Docs. if absolutely necessary, so I haven't had this confirmed.

Maybe yours is a similar problem...only way to find out is if you see the doctor.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

Nobody's laughing Bez, that sounds terrible. There's various reasons for arthritis and what I only suspect I might end up with is quite a different cause to what's already plagued you. I take over-the-counter painkillers and anti-inflamatories sometimes, but I'm not going near anyone qualified. I'm still able to do that. You're way over the boundary where you need help.
minks

My Right Foot

Post by minks »

spot wrote: Nobody's laughing Baz, that sounds terrible. There's various reasons for arthritis and what I only suspect I might end up with is quite a different cause to what's already plagued you. I take over-the-counter painkillers and anti-inflamatories sometimes, but I'm not going near anyone qualified. I'm still able to do that. You're way over the boundary where you need help.

egads needles are way beyond the boundary in my opinion

― Mae West
Bez

My Right Foot

Post by Bez »

spot wrote: Nobody's laughing Baz, that sounds terrible. There's various reasons for arthritis and what I only suspect I might end up with is quite a different cause to what's already plagued you. I take over-the-counter painkillers and anti-inflamatories sometimes, but I'm not going near anyone qualified. I'm still able to do that. You're way over the boundary where you need help.

It's nothing that affects my life style spot..It's not constant, and I'm nearly 60 after all. I'm actually 'fit as a fiddle' and enjoying the sun that's shining on this my week off.

If you won't go to the docs. , then take cod liver oil capsules and maybe glucosamine or a combination of both....they really work and can be bought in Boots, Superdrug or most supermarkets.

My mum had 2 hip replacements in her 70s...so I expected to have similar problems.

You take care of yourself...
minks

My Right Foot

Post by minks »

Bez wrote: It's nothing that affects my life style spot..It's not constant, and I'm nearly 60 after all. I'm actually 'fit as a fiddle' and enjoying the sun that's shining on this my week off.

If you won't go to the docs. , then take cod liver oil capsules and maybe glucosamine or a combination of both....they really work and can be bought in Boots, Superdrug or most supermarkets.

My mum had 2 hip replacements in her 70s...so I expected to have similar problems.

You take care of yourself...

and keep moving :D

― Mae West
Bez

My Right Foot

Post by Bez »

minks wrote: and keep moving :D

Absolutely..;)
spot

My Right Foot

Post by spot »

Bez wrote: ... take cod liver oil capsules and maybe glucosamine or a combination ...I've been dropping the yellows for a couple of years and yes, I'm sure it's worthwhile.

I didn't mean to promote you to Australian Worthy status - you can stay Bez and not Bazza. I mis-typed.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

My Right Foot

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Bez wrote: Now... no laughing you lot....a few years ago i had 'trigger thumb' caused by osteoarthritis in my thumb joint. OK..arthritis causes bones to crumble as you know and the tendons and nerves were catching on the jagged bits. The pain was excrutiating and in the end I had steroid injections in the joint.This was supposed to last 6 months, but has actually lasted several years.

I occasionally have smilar pain in my index fingers and where my toes join my feet so I guess it's a similar problem. Like you spot, I only go to the Docs. if absolutely necessary, so I haven't had this confirmed.

Maybe yours is a similar problem...only way to find out is if you see the doctor.

Bez you should get it confirmed, i've got Osteoarthritis but mine's from and old injury . Ive tryed over the counter pain relief but not had much luck so have to have it prescribed . Rheumatiod i think, is much more serious and diagnosed by a simple blood test, you guy's really should go to the quack's if only for to have the disease confirmed . Has anyone had physio ???and did it help ????:)
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Bez

My Right Foot

Post by Bez »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: Bez you should get it confirmed, i've got Osteoarthritis but mine's from and old injury . Ive tryed over the counter pain relief but not had much luck so have to have it prescribed . Rheumatiod i think, is much more serious and diagnosed by a simple blood test, you guy's really should go to the quack's if only for to have the disease confirmed . Has anyone had physio ???and did it help ????:)

Rheumatoid arthritis is a terrible affliction. A colleague of mine suffered really badly in her late 40s.

Mine is definitely the 'Osteo' variety caused by wear and tear (and old age :D )

Unless it's severe and a joint replacement is required, there is nothing that can be done apart from keeping active, eating healthy and keeping the weight down to lessen the strain on the joints. I sometimes do Pilates...this builds up muscle around the joints and gives them support, but I've been a bit lazy with this recently.

I really hope I haven't given the impression that this condition has any effect on my life, because it doesn't. it's just something that's in the background and rears it's head now and again.

I've never had Physio except once when I broke my wrist....it was a waste of time and I sorted it on my own.

I guess swimming is the best exercise of all for all over mobility.

Oh yes...I resist pain killers but if i do need them I take Ibrobrufen...mind you, I heard recently that prolonged use can cause heart attacks....mmm.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”