Raisin warning

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
valerie

Raisin warning

Post by valerie »

This has come up again, so I just thought I would post a link here for

those who might be interested.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Raisin warning

Post by BabyRider »

Yet another example of why people should NOT feed human food to dogs, and the myth that "If it's good for me, it must be good for my dog" is just that....a big fat huge MYTH!!!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

abbey

Raisin warning

Post by abbey »

Thanks for that Val, i had heard about raisins being toxic

but did'nt realise that as few as 7 raisins or grapes could cause renal failure,

scarey.
redman

Raisin warning

Post by redman »

Thanks for the warning..my ruddy dog eats anything,at the moment he has a passion for potting soil and garden peat.................oh and those big bee's you see with a football jersey on.
cherandbuster

Raisin warning

Post by cherandbuster »

Val, I had heard that about raisins and grapes, too.

Makes you wonder *how little* would be needed to hurt my little 4 1/2 pounder . . .:(

Thanks for the doggie heads-up!
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

orangesox1

Raisin warning

Post by orangesox1 »

I had no idea.

I cut my grape vine down last year, it used to grow along the fence, I never got any decent grapes as the dogs (labradors of coure) used to go along the vine and eat the grapes.

I also heard that chocolate is toxic to dog too.
Marie5656

Raisin warning

Post by Marie5656 »

Good advice. Not just for dogs, either. My research told me that Trixie, my chinchilla , could have one or two raisins a week, as a treat. So, I gave them to her. Turned out they seemed to make her really hyper, she would jump all over her cage rather wildly after having one..as well as go right for her water.

I think the sugar content was just too much for her, so I stopped giving them to her. And she is none the worse for wear.

The only "human" food she gets now is a mini shredded wheat, about 3 or 4 times a week as well as a piece of baby carrot, 2 or 3 times a week..
redman

Raisin warning

Post by redman »

My dog loves a raw carrot,he is also partial to an apple which he likes to take on the lawn and eat the lot....................hope none of those things ae harmful.
cherandbuster

Raisin warning

Post by cherandbuster »

redman wrote: My dog loves a raw carrot,he is also partial to an apple which he likes to take on the lawn and eat the lot....................hope none of those things ae harmful.

Redman, those things are *just fine* for dogs.

Orangesox, don't ever give chocolate to a dog. If you'd like, you can just give it to me instead:)

Buster loves carrots and also eats cucumbers! My twin sister's dog just loves tomatoes as well!
Live Life with

PASSION

minks

Raisin warning

Post by minks »

Wow am glad my dog only likes dog food and garbage.... Raisins hmm who knew thanks Valerie for the heads up. I really do watch what the pooch eats including the cats food as the old boy has a very sensitive system so it is dog food only and only one brand till his dying days. Now my cat on the other hand has a passion for the dogs food and his food and is a general piggy.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

Raisin warning

Post by BabyRider »

cherandbuster wrote: Redman, those things are *just fine* for dogs.

Orangesox, don't ever give chocolate to a dog. If you'd like, you can just give it to me instead:)

Buster loves carrots and also eats cucumbers! My twin sister's dog just loves tomatoes as well!
They are just fine as long as you don't mind a loose stool. Too much veggies in a dogs diet will do the same thing it does to people. Gas, and loose stool.

As for the chocolate, not only is it toxic to a dog's system, the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is. Milk chocolate is still toxic, but unsweetened baking chocolate is the MOST toxic.

Since we're talking about toxins to dogs, you should all know that Tylenol is toxic as well. If you need to give your dog a pain pill, buffered aspirin is best, but ALWAYS check with your vet first, and NEVER give Tylenol.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

Raisin warning

Post by minks »

BabyRider wrote: They are just fine as long as you don't mind a loose stool. Too much veggies in a dogs diet will do the same thing it does to people. Gas, and loose stool.

As for the chocolate, not only is it toxic to a dog's system, the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is. Milk chocolate is still toxic, but unsweetened baking chocolate is the MOST toxic.

Since we're talking about toxins to dogs, you should all know that Tylenol is toxic as well. If you need to give your dog a pain pill, buffered aspirin is best, but ALWAYS check with your vet first, and NEVER give Tylenol.

oooo good tip, I recall my mom having to give her old gal "baby asprin"
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
DesignerGal

Raisin warning

Post by DesignerGal »

I also read some plants are toxic to dogs: azaleas, poinsettas, holly, tomato plants and the actual fruit. I bought a book on puppy training and it has a REALLY LONG list.

HBIC
cherandbuster

Raisin warning

Post by cherandbuster »

Baby Rider!

Are you officially a married woman?

My heartiest congrats and welcome to the marrieds among us!:-4
Live Life with

PASSION

Return to “Pet Advice Support”