~The Legend of the Lost~ you write the story~

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i saw this done elsewhere, it was a lot of fun....each person contribute a chapter to the story as it goes along, it can take some amusing and interesting twists and turns. just jump right in and add your bit! then the next person will carry on...who knows, we could win the Pulitzer! i will start~~~~"THE LEGEND OF THE LOST"...once upon a time (as all good stories start) there was a beautiful princess who was beloved by her people and her family. her name was Merriweather. she was out walking among the people one day, in disguise, she liked to see how the citizens really lived and what their problems were. a sailor from the docks admired the look of her, and not knowing she was a royal princess, grabbed her and took her to his ship, which was about to set sail for the caribbean. she was a helpless prisoner, and very frightened. the ship was underway before she could escape her captor. she was on the high seas bound for strange lands. --------------someone add to the story here!
NewRunner

Post by NewRunner »

As her eyes became accustomed to the dim light of the old slave galley, she realized that the ship was moving and she feared she would never see her homeland or her family again. She explored her prison as well as she could in the limited light, and felt the wooden floors and walls for any hint of escape. Suddenly she felt the floor beneath her give way and fall out beneath her. As she felt herself falling, she was abruptly yanked to a stop by an unseen force. As she waited for her heart to stop pounding, she heard (YOU TAKE OVER)
abbey

Post by abbey »

the rapid sound of someones breath in her ear,"hush, dont make a sound" the voice whispered.

She stood so still she could feel his hot breath on her face"who are you?" she whispered, "no time for introductions now" said the stranger"we have to get you back in the hold, if he finds you gone he'll search the ship & be sure to find you" he dragged a rum barrel over to the hole & told her to climb up onto it, as Merriweathers eyes became accustomed to the dark she saw before her a man so handsome he took her breath away.......
abbey

Post by abbey »

....." You're on my fathers ship bound for far shores a fair maid like you will bring good money"Merrieweather slumped down onto the hardwood floor a look of disbelief on her face " You'll never get away with this, people will be looking for me, my family, the people of our kingdom" the stranger laughed hard at this "Do you think he cares? he's an evil & twisted man who cares nothing about you or your family, i've only stood up to him once & look at the consequences" he waved the shiney hook close to her face.

"Quiet, someones coming, dont tell them i was here & if its him dont provoke him or he'll slit your throat"

Merriweather listened at the door the footsteps drawing closer, when she turned to the stranger he'd gone..........
koan

Post by koan »

From the strong smell of whisky and unbathed flesh, she could tell it was the captain before the door opened. Without knocking he swung open the door with a thud. Eyes glazed, he stumbled towards her, grabbing her face in his grimy, stinking hands.

"Aren't we the pretty one?" and he burst into hideous laughter. "Maybe I's juss keep ye fer meself" he leaned in as if to kiss her. The stench of his breath caused a gasp to escape her lips. Merriweather fainted.

She awoke to darkness, panic stricken and alone. Thankfully alone. She sat still and quiet listening for the faintest sound. Anything to tell her that the one man who might save her from this horrid fate may be close by. .....
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

she finally slept, from utter exhaustion. she awoke to the creaking of the old wooden ship, a tiny shaft of sunlight her only companion, as she stumbled around the tiny quarters she knew she had to escape! but how? where were they bound? under the hatch she spied a piece of paper , and grasped it eagerly...it said 'we are bound for the leeward islands by a following sea, it is no use to fight your fate, you shall be sold to a royal despot, a cruel and evil ruler named skink who demands fresh royal blood to mix with his, to refresh the bloodline of the island. it is no use to resist your fate. but i will be by your side even though you may not see me" signed.... your one-armed friend , bruce. (hey better than not being armed at all). horrified she clambered out onto the poop deck to scan the horizon...and the sailors.
koan

Post by koan »

The shipmates were busy, preparing to anchor, and so she went unnoticed as she cowered behind some barrels. A loud whistle sounded. She jumped and darted back to the hold as the boat finally came to a halt and the first rowboats were boarded. She was relieved when two of the sailors came for her and not the captain. They hustled her over to a boat and pushed her in, climbing aboard as the boat was lowered to the water. She kept her eyes down and tried to believe in her saviour. Tried to imagine him as a galliant hero that would come to rescue her. That was all she could cling to.
NewRunner

Post by NewRunner »

Turning in the direction from which she heard the whispers, she saw tall grass moving in the distance. Merriweather ran up the beach reaching a thick wall of sea grass. Using her arms to weave her way through this living curtain, she reached an opening with a deep pool of blue water surrounded by large ebony boulders. She walked to the tallest of the smoothe black rocks, and looked up. Standing on top of this massive boulder was a child -- or was it? Long wavy white hair, with the sun shining behind creating a halo of light around her tan body, this child-like figure motioned for Merriweather to follow.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

intermission...HI Newrunner and welcome to the Garden...the story is going great everyone! can't wait to see what happens! :-6
koan

Post by koan »

Merriweather had a strange sense of knowing this child. It was as if time ceased to exist, the grasses parting and swaying in slow motion and the light burning brighter and brighter as she felt her feet moving forward to follow this angelic vision. Floating, drifting swaying with the long grasses.

"Ouch!" she snapped back to reality as one of the shipmates grabbed her, roughly, by the arm.

"Thought ye'd escape did ye?" He grinned a blackened smile, tobacco juice dribbling from the corner of his mouth. The vision was gone. There was no evidence of the being that had stood in the grass. Unsure of herself, Merriweather succumbed to the grasp of the sailor and allowed herself to be led back to the beach.

The captain stood a distance away, talking to a small balding man who wore robes of purple and carried a magnificent sword that appeared to have a hilt of crystal. The sun glinting from the crystal reminded her of the child and she felt a moment of relief...until the elderly man turned to her. His wrinkled face held a look of pure evil.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it was skink. the monarch. how repulsive and malevolent he was! she felt a deep abiding fear wash over her. this was going to be the one to which her purity was sacrificed! in her worst nightmares she had never envisioned such a brutal and unloving deflowering. hope had now left her throbbing heaving bosom (got to have a throbbing heaving bosom in there) and she swooned at the feet of her captor. (does this girl have ANY guts??) the wizend and wise elder women of the island immediately dragged her off to a special pre-nuptial tiki hut, to prepare her. alert or not, it did not matter.she was immersed in a bath of.............
koan

Post by koan »

blood. She closed her eyes and tried to imagine that she was back at home having her bubble bath drawn by her servant. But the thickness of the blood curled around her skin viscous and dark. It was a ritual to bring fertility and life to her womb so that she may be fruitful and bear a male child to the kingdom. She felt that she would never be clean again.

Some of the attendants whispered in a corner of the bath house. With her eyes closed her ears became sharper and she could make out some of the words being spoken. Something about another...another woman? And a female child. Lost? The child was lost. They feared that the same would happen with her. Sure to die. Envy. Who envied? She couldn't understand. There was more but the bath was ending and she felt fingers touching her, drawing symbols on her body with the blood. Then it was over. Merriweather tried not to see herself in the mirrors as she was led away to be cleaned in the sacred pool. She prayed that this time it would be water to wash away her fear.
abbey

Post by abbey »

As she stood before the pool, merriweather closed her eyes tight against the sunlight & tried to imagine the safety of her home, her mothers arms wrapped close around her, tears trickled down her pale, freckled cheeks that was smeared in blood.

Her arms were being bound behind her, Merriweather knew that their was little or no chance of escaping these savages.

"Wait..d'ya think i'm an idiot? men untie her no-one touches a hair on her head untill i've had my gold"

Merriweather's eyes flew open, never would she be so glad to hear someones voice, even if it was the ships captain & her captor.

She felt the hands roughly pulling at the rope that bound her, "Bring the wench to me"

Merriweather was dragged to the Captain " Haha.. ye wont escape Cap'n Buzzard that easy"

the captain stood tall before her.

"Boy, take her to my hut"........
koan

Post by koan »

In his panic, the sailor grasped the captain's sleeve to urge him along and was rewarded with a hard wallop to the head. The sailor, unconscious, slumped to the ground as the fearless Captain Buzzard searched for his prey. (Is Buzz gonna be honoured or offended?)

Merriweather certain of a horrid fate if she stayed, took her chances with the Earth. She searched for cover as she moved, crouched to the ground as quickly as she could through the long grasses. The captain with his keen eyes noticed the shifting of the stalks. He smiled and took his direction from the movement of the field. Unsure of her direction Merriweather slowed and tried to calm herself. The captain saw the grasses cease. He continued on.

Sweat beading on her forehead, Merriweather felt the relief of a cool wind. A breeze that arose out of nowhere and played in the grass around her. The captain paused. From above the stalks he suddenly saw movement all around. The grasses danced and parted with the swirling gusts causing him to lose track of his prey. Near to the ground there was no confusion. A feeling gripped her heart as Merriweather turned to her left and moved at a steady pace towards the volcano. She heard a drum beat, or was it just her heart? It called to her and drew her to safety.

Disoriented, the Captain glanced nervously around. The volcano rumbled and he felt a glimpse of fear. It passed quickly. No one out smarted Captain Buzzard. Impossible. He shook with rage and walked swiftly in the direction he last saw her trail. This girl was not getting away.
Raven

Post by Raven »

But what the captain doesnt realize, is that Merriweather isnt just an ordinary princess. She comes from an ancient line. A royal line who people say, can trace their lineage to Valhalla. Protected jealously by the gods.

Stumbling forward a few paces, Merriweather noticed a cave, partially hidden near the base of the mountain. Instinct driving her, she ran towards the opening. Something telling her the closer to the heaving mountain she gets, the safer she will be.

Entering the cave, it takes a moment for her eyesight to adjust to the inky darkness that envelopes her. Grasping the heirloom pendant around her neck, she sinks to her knees from exhaustion. "Think, Merriweather, think!" the girl commands herself. Realizing the danger from stopping too near the entrance, she stands and proceeds further into the cave. As her eyes adjust, she notices something odd about her surroundings. All of a sudden her path has become smooth. Like this was a well worn path. Curiosity, rather than apprenhension, takes her even further. Up ahead she can hear the sound of water! Feeling her way, she fails to notice that the closer she gets, her spirits rise within her, freeing her from the fear and despair that had taken hold of her heart. Strength returning to her limbs, she fairly skips to the source of her search. There, at the end of the tunnel, stands a sparkling fountain! In the midst of the surrounding dark, the fountain appears irridescent with the twinkling of a thousand stars. The waters pouring from it appear so pure as to be from the gods themselves. Beckoning her forward, she approaches the base. Carved from pure quartz, it towers above her. Glancing into the pool at her feet, she kneels to cup some of the pure water to her parched lips. As she does so, a voice comes to her from the midst of the fountain.

"My child, I have awaited your coming. Drink and be renewed. For many trials await. Yet you shall overcome."

Startled, Merriweather looks up into the face she had seen before. "Who are you?" she whispered.

"I am the guardian of your ancestors, and the jinn of this island."

Meanwhile, the captain, struggling against the sudden winds forcing him backward shouts to the sky, with fist raised, "I will have her yet! She'll not escape from me!" With that, the mountain erupts it 's anger, forcing the vile man to escape to the boat awaiting him.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
koan

Post by koan »

The captain, on returning to the boat, glares defiantly at his crew.

"I killed the wench" he lied, "Now ready the sails!" Smirking in admiration of their heartless leader, the mates gleefully set the sails for home.

Back in the cave, Merriweather kneels at the base of the fountain.

"Drink" the voice softly commands. Merriweather obediantly dips her cupped hands into the pool and drinks of the sparkling liquid. Expecting some sort of magical stirring of her blood, she is shocked to feel a sudden pain. Eyes wide, she doubles from the cramp in her stomach, hand grasping at her throat. Fearing poison, she looks imploringly at the source of the voice. The fountain waters expand as the face of the child seen in the grasses appears in liquid form before her.

"Fear me not" it says. "The waters are removing the soil of your former existence. You are being restored." With that, Merriweather feels the pain receding and relaxes. As the last of the purification is completed, her body rises from the ground, light emanating from her fingers and her eyes take on an eerie glow. The child emerges from the waters. A shimmering spectacle of human form made from water. Slowly it solidifies.

"Welcome, Meryndia. That is your true name. You have returned to us, the Lost Children and we receive you in love." The child bows before her as others emerge from the depths of the cave to join in the reception.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Meanwhile, the captain, pacing back and forth in his cabin, glares at his reflection in the looking glass.

"How did one tiny, slip of a girl escape me? ME????" He roared.

But something caught his attention, out the corner of his eye. "Whats this?"

He whirls around and tosses aside the petticoats left by his recent prisoner. Underneath the frilly garments, he grabs a book. A diary. Her diary.

"Mayhap I'll find something useful." he muses to himself.

And so the man begins to read. Suddenly an evil grin begins to form across his face. Pure malevolence emits from his twisted visage....
koan

Post by koan »

The journal had been a record of Merriweather's dreams, her memories as Meryndia. Her true self knew of the island of her ancestors and described their home in full detail. Recognizing the landmark in her descriptions, the captain overlooked the fact they she had thought them just dreams and changed the ships course. They sailed around the island to the northern shore. Though no dwellings were established it was an easily accessible shore. The crew was leary of the captain's intent as the volcano was close to erupting with deadly lava. They hoped he would not call upon them to board the rowboat to shore.

As the captain looked through his crew for a mate worthy of the quest, his son stepped forward. The crew retreated a step as the young man, rarely seen, strode bravely forward.

"I will assist you in your mission. I wish to prove my loyalties. Once and for all."

Grinning, Captain Buzzard downed the last of his whisky and threw his arm aroung the boy. The crew lowered their rowboat into the waters and watched in fascination as the two rowed towards their impending doom.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

sooooooooooo.....should we sell the movie rights?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Eashore suddenly looks up. "No time." Looking intensly into Merriweathers eyes, he tells her "The captain and his son are seeking you. You must return with them. It will be your greatest test. But all will be turned right before the end. You must seek out your champion, and return the crystal to it's proper place. Only then may the lost be found again."

Having spoken, he touches the pendant around her neck, and the stone is infused with a blinding light.

"When your need is greatest, you may use this to call for aid."

The next moment, Merriweather is opening her eyes and rising from the floor refreshed and invigorated as if she'd been in a deep slumber. "Was that just a dream?" she mused to herself. But something inside her knew that it wasnt.
koan

Post by koan »

Exiting the cavern, Merriweather sought deep within herself to find the spirit of Meryndia, her true self. Whatever was about to occur would take all her strength and courage. The sun scalded her back as she walked through the grasses in the direction of the sea. It seemed to whisper to her as if guiding her to her destiny. The warmth of the afternoon filled her with energy and confidence as she strode, oblivious to the rumbling of the volcano behind her, towards the water.

From the shore, the Captain was stumbling drunkenly about the beach, his feet sliding in the loose sand. His son did nothing to assist him. His eyes stayed focused on the distant figure that his father was too bleary to observe. To his keener eyes, Merriweather seemed to glow with a supernatural radiance that parted the grasses before her. The Captain arrived at his son's side and swatted the back of his head.

"What's with ya, lad? Ya look like ya seen a ghoas or sumpin. Heeya." The Captain drew his sword and licked the blade. "This sword a mine'll see her blood afore the end." He burped and stumbled forward nearly falling as he caught sight of the woman standing a short distance before him on a rocky plateau. He caught himself and raised his blade.

"All ye who enter with hatred and ignorance in their heart shall be struck by the God of the Lost." Meryndia, heard her voice echoing as if it had come from the bowels of the earth.

The Captain lunged forward to attack. The ground split before him as he teetered on the edge of a great chasm. He grunted in dismay. Frantically he turned to his son. Looking at his father with disdain and sorrow, Bruce laid his weapons on the ground. He looked to this shining beauty who stood before him. Removing the hook that had replaced his hand, he threw it at his fathers feet and walked forward into the chasm. He did not fall. He walked as if on an invisible bridge. Meryinda greeted him on the other side. He kneeled at her feet. She kissed his forehead. A great light enveloped his body as he rose from the ground. The light swirled and grew until he was placed gently on his feet again, his body restored. In wonder, Bruce stared at the hand that had been returned then gently touched Merynda's face. She smiled and they stood side by side.

Enraged, the Captain thought he knew the trick and, laughing, approached the gaping hole. His first step into the chasm did not falter. Merynda touched the pendant and closed her eyes. She heard a howl and a scream. Opening to look, she caught the last sight of a giant hand made of lava reaching from the chasm and dragging the Captain to his death.

The death of Captain Buzzard left the ship and it's crew to the leadership of his good son. The Lost Children of the Island slowly emerged and bowed to the man who had the courage and heart to set them free. But all he could see was Meryndia his beautiful bride to be. The others walked towards the shore of their freedom as the two lovers shared their first kiss.

The End.
Raven

Post by Raven »

good ending! Let's do another! :yh_flower

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”