Dogs not returning to come command

All aspects of training your pet.
gaeilge

Post by gaeilge »

Hi

I am new to this forum and you guys seem to have offered lots of good advice so maybe you can help me!!

We have 2 crossbreed rescue dogs, a lurcher terrier cross and a collie cross. They are adorable, good natured dogs aged about 2 years.

When we go out for walks we like to give them some time off leash. They do know and understand the come command but the problem is getting them to obey all the time.

Sometimes they wander off and find a nice scent and completely ignore us calling. I always bring nice treats on a walk and they know they will get them and lots of praise if they return. However obviously there are times we just aren't attractive enough.:)

Any help or advice gratefully received.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hi there gaeilge! I am sure one of the doggy people can give you advice on that when they see your post. I only have a kitty and bunnies-bunnies come on command, the cat does as he pleases!

Welcome to FG!
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Training for a consistent "come" should start at home, in the yard. Keeping the dog on a leash, use the command one time, and one time ONLY, then reel your dog in, without giving it a choice whether to come or not. You will want to work with one dog at a time on this, unless your partner can work with the other at the same time.

The problem most people have with this command is, they continue to say, "Come on, Spot, come here, let's go, come on," and ultimately go get the dog themselves, reinforcing the dog's assumption that this is not a command to be followed all the time. In fact this is THE MOST important command your dog must learn to obey every single time without fail. If you can get your dog to come to your side with one word, every time, you can avoid lots of dangers, and possibly keep him getting hit by a car.

So, you're reeling the dog in after giving the command ONE time, and rewarding with praise and treats. When this has been mastered to where you don't have to forcefully pull the dog to you, continue with the leash still on, but dragging.

Consistency is the key to training for any command. Keep sessions brief, but frequent, and make it fun for the dog. Just make sure you're NOT giving in to the urge to go after your dog, and the importance of having him come after ONE call.

Good luck with this, and if you have more questions, come on back! Let us know how you're progressing, too. :)
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

Post by minks »

excellent advise BR that was how we were taught in puppy training and now we are blessed, we toss a few treats in our pocket and take the pooch out, as soon as we go to snap off the leash I tell him to "sit" and reward him for the sit and he knows I have treats and away we walk. Everytime I call him back, I treat him, and he now is a gem to walk.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
valerie

Post by valerie »

Welcome to FG, Gaelige!!

Baby Rider is right, as always. I only have a couple of things to add: You

say you bring treats, and that is a good idea. I usually suggest people

try that but now I want to ask you what kind of treats. They should be

something the dogs ONLY get on your walks, or now your training sessions

in your back yard. No other times, just laying around the house! People

use all sorts of things for this, but try something REALLY interesting to the

dogs. I have used boiled skinless chicken breast pieces. They have the

advantage of not usually causing tummy upset, but if you think you can get

away with it with your 2, try anything really "stinky", say, hot dogs. Pieces

of any treats should be very small, use the size of your little fingernail as

a guide. And schedule your training sessions away from regular mealtimes.

And if you can get a friend to help you during these training sessions, so

much the better. This friend should not be "mommy" or "daddy". As you

progress with your training, have this friend bring in "distractions" such

as some toys, etc. and get the dogs (again, one at a time) to focus on

YOU. You should be the most attractive thing in their universe! Whether

a friend is throwing a squeaky toy across the yard or not.

Another thing to try is keeping something the dog really likes with you.

While you're training, let the dog know you have it, bounce a tennis ball,

or try acting like an idiot with a high squeaky voice and running AWAY from

your dog. Clap your hands, whatever you can think of. I imagine both

collie and lurcher lines have at least some prey drive, and you want to be

the one with the "prey"... not that squirrel in the woods.

Don't despair, you CAN do this, and you and puppers will be happier!

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Val, your always brilliant input has reminded me of something else:

You mentioned hot dogs, and I recall a trainer I worked with who would hold the pieces of hot dog in her mouth and drop them to the dog from her lips, that way, the dog is focused entirely on your face, waiting for it's next command.

Great addition, as always, Val.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

I've known people to do that... really cracked me up the first time...

spitting hot dogs at your dog!! There's just something about that

picture in my head!!

Tamsen's Dogster Page

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote: I've known people to do that... really cracked me up the first time...

spitting hot dogs at your dog!! There's just something about that

picture in my head!!

It does sound funny, but it works like a charm! Ever tried it?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

This is a thread hijack, but I couldn't resist! (For you-know-who!)

Tamsen's Dogster Page

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

valerie wrote: This is a thread hijack, but I couldn't resist! (For you-know-who!)

No...who?? :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

valerie

Post by valerie »

BabyRider wrote: It does sound funny, but it works like a charm! Ever tried it?

No, I haven't but I absolutely would if the dog needed it! I was so lucky

with Tamsen, easiest dog to train I've ever known. I knew very little

about Schutzhund when we got her, but the breeding sure shows. So

many Sch III's and her grand sire was 1990 No. American Sch III champion!

In her puppy obedience class, she was one of only 2 pups allowed to be

off leash and she laid right at the mommie's feet! (She knew her stuff,

we just took her for the socialization!)

Sorry, folks, sometime's a mommie's just GOT to brag!!

Here is a link to an online friend's newly acquired dog, she's going to

use him for her SAR partner!

http://www.k-9bsd.com/

Go to the videos, he is named "Grim" (she's probably going to change that!)

there's 3 videos with him "Passive alert odor detection". In one of them,

you'll see the trainer reach over an stroke his ear, and the dog stays

focused!

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

gaeilge

Post by gaeilge »

Thanks so much for your great advice.

We plan to start training this weekend.

Your advice seems really sound and we can't wait to get going.

I will let you know how we get on!:)
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

gaeilge wrote: Thanks so much for your great advice.

Just remember, dogs are pack animals and you must assert yourself as "alpha". Dogs respond to a calm, assertive leader. YOU are the boss. Simple, quiet, but unmistakeable corrections, (a quick snap on the leash to re-focus the dog's attention) are always best.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Kiceanna

Post by Kiceanna »

BabyRider wrote: Training for a consistent "come" should start at home, in the yard. Keeping the dog on a leash, use the command one time, and one time ONLY, then reel your dog in, without giving it a choice whether to come or not. You will want to work with one dog at a time on this, unless your partner can work with the other at the same time.

The problem most people have with this command is, they continue to say, "Come on, Spot, come here, let's go, come on," and ultimately go get the dog themselves, reinforcing the dog's assumption that this is not a command to be followed all the time. In fact this is THE MOST important command your dog must learn to obey every single time without fail. If you can get your dog to come to your side with one word, every time, you can avoid lots of dangers, and possibly keep him getting hit by a car.

So, you're reeling the dog in after giving the command ONE time, and rewarding with praise and treats. When this has been mastered to where you don't have to forcefully pull the dog to you, continue with the leash still on, but dragging.

Consistency is the key to training for any command. Keep sessions brief, but frequent, and make it fun for the dog. Just make sure you're NOT giving in to the urge to go after your dog, and the importance of having him come after ONE call.

Good luck with this, and if you have more questions, come on back! Let us know how you're progressing, too. :)
I agree to this, also if your dog is getting confused with this comand on other times, you might want to use a new comand for the other time you want him or her to come. (like the times in the house or in the yard.) You need to make sure that your dog knows which is which. Your dog might be thinking that like the times in the house when you call to it that it can come at any time and still get loved. You must make sure that you differentiate between which is which comand. Do not use the same one for different things. I should know, I worked at a vets office. Good luck!:D
valerie

Post by valerie »

gaeilge wrote: Thanks so much for your great advice.

Letting us know how you get on will be very much appreciated!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Kiceanna wrote: I agree to this, also if your dog is getting confused with this comand on other times, you might want to use a new comand for the other time you want him or her to come. (like the times in the house or in the yard.) You need to make sure that your dog knows which is which. Your dog might be thinking that like the times in the house when you call to it that it can come at any time and still get loved. You must make sure that you differentiate between which is which comand. Do not use the same one for different things. I should know, I worked at a vets office. Good luck!:D
Wait, wait.....have I got this right? You're saying to use 2 different commands to elicit the same behavior? IF this is the case, I do not reccommend it. One command for your dog to be at your side, instantly, without hesitation, wherever you are. Consistency is the key and multiple commands for the same behavior will just confuse the dog and make training harder. I should know, I was a behaviorist for 5 years.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

hunterdog57

Post by hunterdog57 »

I spit treats, usually string cheese when I was training my yellow Lab in obedience. She could see a small chunk of cheese when it was between my lips from 40 ft. away. Works great for attentive heeling and straight fronts on recalls.
spot

Post by spot »

I've never had a dog but that's a fair description of how I brought up the children.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

There's some good advice here. I have found that I only need the treats early on in the training, until the dog understands what his "job" is. After that, the satisfaction of doing his job well is the treat he loves the best, with learning something new running a close second.
Odie

Post by Odie »

hunterdog57;1362242 wrote: I spit treats, usually string cheese when I was training my yellow Lab in obedience. She could see a small chunk of cheese when it was between my lips from 40 ft. away. Works great for attentive heeling and straight fronts on recalls.

dog treats definitely help with training!

I like your idea using cheese, not spitting it out of your mouth though.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Training Your Pet”