All canadians

A forum to discuss local issues in Canada.
koan

All canadians

Post by koan »

I applied to Ryerson but ended up taking a trade school program for special makeup effects. Did that for 10 years before I gave up the career (in psychology to the stars). Construction worker chick now, no formal training.

Interesting (subjective) places in Vancouver.

From Vancouver Secrets of the City

For the truly adventurous, the Thornton Tunnel promises adrenaline rushes by the bucket. It is a train-sized passageway that runs beneath the streets of Burnaby from the Second Narrows railway bridge all the way to the Lougheed Highway. To find the tunnel mouth, drive east on Hastings past the TransCanada and then turn north on Skeena. Follow up the hill and around the corner to Bates Park. Leave the car and scramble down the cliffside to the tracks.

Fun begins. Stand away from the track but near the tunnel mouth until a southbound train comes along. After it passes, walk over next to the tracks and get sucked into the dark black passageway by a 30-40 kph wind. The wind continues until the train exits the other end of the tunnel 3.2 km away.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Could you sell tickets or would the railway stop you? Darn! Don't have one in Toronto.

Meet any interesting stars in Canada?

I've met Kate Hudson. The guy from Dawson's Creek. John Leguiziamo(?) David Carradine. All in Kensington Market. A couple of months ago I saw Rod Stewart. Could have walked across the street and greeted him but he looked like he was happy to have a private moment with the family so... ?

How do you like construction?
koan

All canadians

Post by koan »

I've met ten years worth of them. Not a lot of A list actors though.

Been in the industry too long to name drop. :yh_silent
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I've met ten years worth of them. Not a lot of A list actors though.

Been in the industry too long to name drop. :yh_silent

Guess that means that I shouldn't continue with those that I met because it means that I am name dropping?

Didn't intend to name drop. Just putting forward names that I thought that you might know or may have met. I know it isn't fun hanging around in a truck all day, waiting for the stars to drop in, but I remember many people that were jealous of your job.

You got to talk to the *****. You were in their presence and they were dependent on your skills to make them who they were supposed to be on the big screen. Others got a sideways glance or perhaps a remark about the weather and that was it. :o

I guess the point was that there were a lot of stars and not so stars that know of and enjoyed the down to earthiness of Kensington Market.
koan

All canadians

Post by koan »

I was going to start listing them and then it felt like I would be posting my resume. One of the reasons I left is because of the pretense and pomp. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from all the bs. It was fun to say who I'd met until I was in a room full of wonderful people who thought that all these stars were more interesting than them. They aren't.

People who think film is exotic or elite don't know what it's like to work there. I got to talk to them, analyse their dreams and clean their noses for them. Now I am done.

I am so much happier doing construction. Give me a nail gun and let me whack something with my hammer and I'm a happy girl.

I still get calls for work and still keep up my union dues but I can't play the game anymore. Never could, really.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

Sounds like you had a lot of fun while you were into it.

I saw the same thing. The pretense drove me up the walls. What i enjoyed more than anything was watching them set up for the shoot. Building the sets... yadda-yadda-yadda.

Somebody wanted to get into the trucking end of it but I declined. Good money but I enjoy my time. It's the only thing that I own.
koan

All canadians

Post by koan »

Fourteen to eighteen hour days. Transport is worse.

But whenever we were working near an office building I would look up at all the little windows and think "how do they do that every day?" It was fun then it was hell then it was hysterical then it was torture then I called it quits and started living. I rarely got to watch the setups as I was always the beck and call girl following the actors around and ready to take care of their needs. Was a "personal" before too. Personal slave. And my kid was raised by nannies. I'm lucky she turned out so well. She wants to be an actor. I told her I'm the wrong person to ask but look to see how many child actors are still around. My last job was a really great experience, though. Worked with Roma Downey (Touched By An Angel) not really name dropping, just praise. She's a wonderful lady. Nice way to end it.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: My last job was a really great experience, though. Worked with Roma Downey (Touched By An Angel) not really name dropping, just praise. She's a wonderful lady. Nice way to end it.

Ah. That's the part I liked. When they turned out to be good people. Simple, ordinary folk that could enjoy just being around other people.

David Carradine was my favourite. I actually snatched the pebbles from his hand.

Invited to come over to Grossman's for a few brews after his first day of shooting Kung Fu. He obliged.

Listened to the jaws drop when we went in the tavern. You know the one. Went over grabbed our table and ordered our brew. He always had one of the people trail him and hang out with him. We waited and the waiter showed up with the brews.

Then it started. Everyone started looking at each other to see who was going to pick up the tab for the brews. Is it the big time star buying for the fans? The assistant paying for the star and his fan? or the fan buying for the assistant and the star?

We were about to go into the third round of the stare down and I noticed that the waiter (he'd seen the game a million times before) was growing impatient, so, I threw my money on his tray, grabbed my brew and sat down. We bought our own drinks that night. It was a fun night and when the live entertainment played he got up and asked if he could play a tune with the band.

Picked up a guitar and played a couple of tunes. He wasn't at all that bad and the people were entertained in yet another way by the Kung Fu master. He would always come back when he could and it was nice to be remembered by him.

Met his daughtr, grand daughter and whoever else whose duty it was to trail him when he was on the prowl. He was lucky enough to have a vehicle waiting for him outside to take him home. Good thing I only lived up the street.

He loves Vodka.
Cass

All canadians

Post by Cass »

tankspring wrote: the reason we hate torontonians
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

tankspring wrote: the reason we hate torontonians is that they seem to think they are the centre of the country, that and we all hate the leafs ;P

All them negative vibes and you are from Ingersol? Is that the one in Ontario or did some Westerners scoop the name and called it their own. (chuckle, chuckle)
capt_buzzard

All canadians

Post by capt_buzzard »

lady cop wrote: i love Canadians! so....is it snowbound, infested with mooses and are there lady mounties? ;) Ladycop, its the Mounties you like :wah: as in Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Cass

All canadians

Post by Cass »

capt_buzzard wrote: Ladycop, its the Mounties you like :wah: as in Royal Canadian Mounted Police
yep, she has a thing for mounties :-4
lady cop

All canadians

Post by lady cop »

Noooooo.....i wanted to BE a mountie, but don't have a horsie or snowshoes! :cool:
capt_buzzard

All canadians

Post by capt_buzzard »

PEIguy wrote: Hmmmm best I can do is dress in red and throw a saddle on my back :thinking:
They say, that the Mounties always get their man :wah:
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

PEIguy wrote: Hi from PEI here.

We have female cops and beavers, but no moose. The largest animals here are coyotes (Unless you count whales).

I've lived a variety of places. After growing up in a tiny PEI village, I joined the armed forces for a very short time. Spent a few months in NS, then 4 months in Esquimalt (Victoria) and then lived 10 years in Kitchener-Waterloo.

PEI is ok, but sometimes one feels a tad isolated.

You've got it backwards. We haven't cut you out. You're keeping us off the island until we prove that we are responsible enough to come and watch the whales. You can't fool us!
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

PEIguy wrote: LOL...you Torontonians have nicknamed us Hotel California, cause ya don't have to pay to get on the island, but have to pay $38 to leave LOL

That's OK because when you come to Toronto: first we nail you on the CN Tower and then, if you are lucky enough to come in the winter, we take you to the bath when you pay to see the Maple Loafs...er... Leafs play.

Yah! So who's laughin' now!
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

PEIguy wrote: LOL you'll never see this dude spend a penny on a hockey game. I quit watching hockey in the 60's when the expansion started.

I've seen the tower :)

Sorry, I've been busier than hell. First off, you have been to Toronto, so, say what you will, we got your cash! Ha Ha. I think that the Maple loafs... er...Leafs haven't won in all these years because it's a conspiracy to get people from out of town to come in and spend their money while they disparage the team. Yee-Haw. Win or lose they are making big money from you guys that come from the other parts of the country.

It's always nice to get your money no matter how we do it. If you want to know why we are the center of the Universe of Canada? It is because we're too stupid to know that it's in Winnipeg.

(chuckle chuckle)
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

PEIguy wrote: Just keep buying our fish and potatoes, and we'll send some money back from time to time :)

He he he he he heh heh heh heh heh heh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Right on. :-6
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

tankspring wrote: on the bright side of lofe, im living in london now, not as bad, except the traffic lights here are horrible!

What is London like? Popoulation? Kinds of people? Parklands? Yadda-yadda etc.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

LT flora wrote: how is the canadain army doing

The Canadian Armed forces are doing well. Underfunded but starting to get the notice that they deserve from the government. I refer to the Army as Armed forces because we have a unified force hierarchy in the chain of command. They seem to be doing well in Afghanistan. They are good people and we are proud of them.

We are proud of the American forces too.

The Canadian government is being asked to send in troops into Iraq to train Iraqis. Seems we're good at that. It'll be interesting but I want to see the world see that Canadians don't think Americans are the bad people they are being made out to be. It'll be nice when everybody gets home.

Don't forget we jumped into Afghanistan because we know what is happening.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

LT flora wrote: where is stradford at

Stratford is in Southwestern Ontario. Are you interested in Shakespeare? Great plays every year. Captain Kirk even got his start there. Go into your address bar and enter stratford. You know that they're on line in a big way. One of the posters lives near there and he is from Ingersol.

Enjoy.

Oh? Yah! Before I forget. Did you know that the second in command in Iraq is a Canadian General?
lady cop

All canadians

Post by lady cop »

LT flora wrote: hi do you guys know where straford is
i think kensloft told you in post #80 here. :)
Wren

All canadians

Post by Wren »

Hello fellow Canadians...and everyone else. :)

Montreal, Quebec here.
kensloft

All canadians

Post by kensloft »

Wren wrote: Hello fellow Canadians...and everyone else. :)

Montreal, Quebec here.

Hello Wren. From the supposed center of the Universe of Canada... Toronto.

Welcome and enjoy the garden.
Tan

All canadians

Post by Tan »

I :-4 Canada!
Tan
Robin313

All canadians

Post by Robin313 »

I'm From Nanaimo and your not.:wah:
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

Robin313 wrote: I'm From Nanaimo and your not.:wah:
Only second best to Calgary hehehehe

Ahhhh blessed are you to live on the island. :)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Mandy

All canadians

Post by Mandy »

Ahhh....Calgary......our arch rival! LOWell, as far as hockey goes anyway!!!:) I`m currently living in Michigan....but I originally hale from Edmonton Alberta! I have tons of family out there still! I miss home....hello to all my fellow Canucks out there!:-6
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

Mandy wrote: Ahhh....Calgary......our arch rival! LOWell, as far as hockey goes anyway!!!:) I`m currently living in Michigan....but I originally hale from Edmonton Alberta! I have tons of family out there still! I miss home....hello to all my fellow Canucks out there!:-6

I can't speak badly of Edmonton, the bf is from there. Well cheers back at you.

― Mae West
lucylane

All canadians

Post by lucylane »

Hello everyone.

I was born in Toronto, but I've lived in Niagara Falls for just over 30 years. The Falls is a great place to live. It's like living in a small town, because there are only 77,000 people living there.

:driving:
Bez

All canadians

Post by Bez »

Excuse my ignorance, but is Buffalo in the USA or Canada ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
lady cop

All canadians

Post by lady cop »

Bez wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but is Buffalo in the USA or Canada ?new york
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

lucylane wrote: Hello everyone.

I was born in Toronto, but I've lived in Niagara Falls for just over 30 years. The Falls is a great place to live. It's like living in a small town, because there are only 77,000 people living there.

:driving:

I honeymooned at Niagra Falls and would love to get back again one day. I love the area out there. Welcome to FG perhaps you will be the second Canadian to stick around on FG, many come and many go I seem to be the only foundation Canuck ahahaha

― Mae West
Jives

All canadians

Post by Jives »

Minks, I know it's you that's resurrecting all these dead Canadian threads. Now stop that, post-bumper!:thinking:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: Minks, I know it's you that's resurrecting all these dead Canadian threads. Now stop that, post-bumper!:thinking:

Nooooooo it isn't me dang it, just because I am bored today doesn't mean I am.....*goes and looks to see if it was indeed resurected by me* No it was the newbie so HAH!

― Mae West
canuck_girl

All canadians

Post by canuck_girl »

Hi all...new canuck on board! Born in Toronto, now living up by the longest freshwater beach in the world. Guess Where?
white_rose

All canadians

Post by white_rose »

I'm going to bump this post...Bluenose Land here way out East.

Origionally Switzerland. Canadian now...lived by Lake St.Clair in Stoney Point, moved to Switzerland for 6 years, then to Nova Scotia. On to Saanich, Vancouver Island. Back to Nova Scotia, on to Central Ohio, back to Nova Scotia...next stop where ever my Man will be :-6
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

white_rose wrote: I'm going to bump this post...Bluenose Land here way out East.

Origionally Switzerland. Canadian now...lived by Lake St.Clair in Stoney Point, moved to Switzerland for 6 years, then to Nova Scotia. On to Saanich, Vancouver Island. Back to Nova Scotia, on to Central Ohio, back to Nova Scotia...next stop where ever my Man will be :-6

OH my I have family in Saanich how cool I love the island...

― Mae West
Robin313

All canadians

Post by Robin313 »

Buffolo might be in New York but, there are Bufflo in Canada.
minks

All canadians

Post by minks »

Robin313 wrote: Buffolo might be in New York but, there are Bufflo in Canada.

Very true and might I add, they were near extinct and we brought their population back and have removed them from the "threatened" list. They run wild again :)

― Mae West

Return to “Canada”