Comics?

Talk about your favorite comedians, their skits, and all things comedy.
Bill_Hicks

Comics?

Post by Bill_Hicks »

The moving kind, not superheroes in magazines...

BH
Accountable

Comics?

Post by Accountable »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. A comic snob eh? :yh_think

Bill Cosby was a pretty good comic in his day, but he always sat still. :D
Bez

Comics?

Post by Bez »

Lucille ball and her 'sidekick' US

Ronnie Barker UK
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

Comics?

Post by Accountable »

Sorry, Bill. Didn't notice that this was your first post. WELCOME!!:-6

What's your fave comic?
Bill_Hicks

Comics?

Post by Bill_Hicks »

My favorite "dead list" is obviously led by Bill Hicks. Died in 1994 at age 32, bigger in the U.K. than the States, but he was the first comic I heard tell the truth, make me cringe and laugh on a different level. A comedian's comedian - the greatest compliment...

Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor and recently Mitch Hedberg were favorites and still dead.

Think guitar-playing Stephen Lynch is my favorite now - Dane Cook, Dave Chappelle, Lewis Black, Steven Wright never disappoint if they're appearing near you.

Am I posting in the wrong place or is there be a Comic / Comedian section?

Chime in if you've heard of these people and please tell me what I'm missing...

BH
Bill_Hicks

Comics?

Post by Bill_Hicks »

The original Outlaws of Comedy came from Austin, TX - Sam, Bill, and there was a little known TX blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn dominating the scene then...

UNCUT Magazine (UK), March, 1999

Bill Hicks was the most seditious, offensive, impassioned and rigeous comic of his generation.

Kinison took the 17-year-old comedian under his wing as part of his Texas Outlaw comics group alongside Riley Barber and Carl LaBove, started referring to him as The Little Prince... sometimes The Prince Of Darkness... and asked him to come with him to LA to try and crack the Comedy Store, the stand-up mecca where Richard Pryor and Robin Williams were raking it in. It was Kinison, in fact, who persuaded Hicks' parents to let him go -- and even pay his way: "comedy tuition" instead of college. Critics often refer Hicks' debt to Kinison, who died in a car crash in 1992 -- even Hicks' brother Steve said, "My dad always said he hoped someone like Bob Hope would discover Bill and show him the ropes -- but instead he had Sam Kinison."

You're right Clancy:

"Revelations ( Live In London dvd ) Fantastic! He's sadly missed."
Bill_Hicks

Comics?

Post by Bill_Hicks »

When I say English I mean all those Scottish, Irish, great London comics... they speak English better way better than we do here.

As weird as he thinks - Eddie Izzard continues to tell the truth about political matters - he's a guy, right?

American comics here are towing the company line, playing it safe and hoping for a 30 minute gig on comedy central - shame they take that course...

Reserve the right to be wrong,

BH
Nomad

Comics?

Post by Nomad »

Bill_Hicks wrote: When I say English I mean all those Scottish, Irish, great London comics... they speak English better way better than we do here.

As weird as he thinks - Eddie Izzard continues to tell the truth about political matters - he's a guy, right?

American comics here are towing the company line, playing it safe and hoping for a 30 minute gig on comedy central - shame they take that course...

Reserve the right to be wrong,

BH

I saw Eddie Izzard a couple of years ago in a one hr special, I had no idea who he was but I was hooked, he was very unique and original.
I AM AWESOME MAN
telaquapacky

Comics?

Post by telaquapacky »

Lord Buckley.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Bill_Hicks

Comics?

Post by Bill_Hicks »

Clancy wrote: Check out, "Dressed To Kill" dvd (Eddie Izzard) :)

Filmed in San Francisco It's probably the best introduction to him.

....Eddie likes ladies clothes, he's hetro, but a bit strange in the dress code department....if you catch my drift

Saw it finally - good movie full of suspense - had that lady from Police Woman in it. Didn't see Eddie, but he surely was the crossdressing killer?

Not sure on the San Francisco filming - I live out here and didn't recognize anything, but saw my first Angie Dickinson hoot and a good movie regardless.

BH
Marie5656

Comics?

Post by Marie5656 »

I have had several favorites over the years. Sadly I did not "discover" Bill Hicks till after his death, but I did like him!

Other favorites include George Carlin (earlier work, through the 80s and early 90's), Lewis Black and Billy Connolly.

I like most of the Blue Collar guys..Foxworthy, Engval and Ron White. My hubby is partial to Larry the Cable Guy, but he is not my speed.
allisonthegreat

Comics?

Post by allisonthegreat »

kathy griffin-loved "my Life on the d-list", george carlin, richard pryor, jerry seinfeld, brett butler, steve harvey, jamie fox...the list goes on!
CARLA

Comics?

Post by CARLA »

My Favorites are:

1. George Carlin

2. Pichard Pryor

3. Sam Kinson (now dead but his bit about getting the people out the desert and where the water is still makes me laugh till I cry)

4. Steve Havey

5. Those 3 guys that travel together on is the Cable Guy, the other is RON WHITE( smooth with and charm)

6. Ellen Degenious ( not to many female comedians make me laugh but she does)

7. Cosby early years.

8. Billy Connelly

I know there are most just not coming to mind right now..:D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

CheshireCat

Comics?

Post by CheshireCat »

I like Joby Saad. He's a goofball and he is my friend!

Check out www.joby.net
"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!
Fibonacci

Comics?

Post by Fibonacci »

Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, George Lopez, All The Blue Collar Boys, John Leguizamo, Martin Lawrence, Robin Williams, Alex Reymundo, Cheech Marin, Paul Rodriguez, Berni Mac, D.L. Hughley, Steve Harvey.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Brownley

Comics?

Post by Brownley »

My all time favourite is Ellen Degeneres, her standups are just histerical - particularly Here and Now

Also love Lewis Black, his crazy arm movements and eye rolling are totally wierd and funny, Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams

Saw Lisa (someonearathers) standup, she is rather shocking with what she says, but I couldnt stop laughing. Anyone know who she would be? She would be in her 40's I guess, really crude, American woman.

Love to know who she was!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song - Maya Angelou
Katy1

Comics?

Post by Katy1 »

....Eddie likes ladies clothes, he's hetro, but a bit strange in the dress code department....if you catch my drift

Oh I just LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Eddie Izzard. He is fanstastic!
Katy1

Comics?

Post by Katy1 »

Oh, in San Fran? lol.

I don't think I've ever really laughed as much. The intro to it is as funny as the material itself. He's a male lesbian doncha know....
RedGlitter

Comics?

Post by RedGlitter »

Eddie Murphy- his standup routines, not his movies.

Carlos Mencia is pretty funny.

Robin Williams.

George Lopez

I tend to find the women comics not very funny. Especially when they do the usual "difference between the sexes" routine. Boring!
Nomad

Comics?

Post by Nomad »

Clancy;296155 wrote: Check out, "Dressed To Kill" dvd (Eddie Izzard) :)

I saw a special on him some yrs ago and I thought he was fantastic. Id like to see more.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Parker_scramble

Comics?

Post by Parker_scramble »

jim norton

andrew dice clay

jim bruer

jay mohr

anything opie and anthony related.
Book_Junkie

Comics?

Post by Book_Junkie »

Bill Hicks (love, love, love his comedy)

Denis Leary

Mitch Hedberg

Steven Wright
Book_Junkie

Comics?

Post by Book_Junkie »

Sorry, sorry - it was a rookie mistake!

Of course you're added to the list!
lalalala

Comics?

Post by lalalala »

did anyone see the Don Rickles documentary on HBO last week. it was really great. good insight on the man but yeah it was essentially a love fest but i didnt mind.

my favorite comedians (past and present) Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Bob Newhart, Richard Pryor, Patton Oswalt and Zach Galifianakis.

Return to “Talk About Comedy”