Oldsmobile Aurora starting issue

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Can anyone tell me why a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora will start sometimes but not all the time? I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. When I try and start the car you can see that the battery is not dead, because the lights turn on; but it doesn't make any noise...not even a clicking sound. And what really gets me is, that it happens randomly...not all the time.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

sleeper wrote: Can anyone tell me why a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora will start sometimes but not all the time? I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. When I try and start the car you can see that the battery is not dead, because the lights turn on; but it doesn't make any noise...not even a clicking sound. And what really gets me is, that it happens randomly...not all the time.

Hi Sleeper,

I'd check two things:

1. Make sure you have an intact grounding system.

2. Your starter may be bad. I had a Suburban that did the exact same thing. Dealer said, "Your starter is fine." I knew my electrical components were working fine so I told them to change the starter - and never had a problem again with that car.

Unbelievably the dealer said: "It must have been going bad intermittently."

duh.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Thanks for the advice, I will have the starter replaced.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

sleeper wrote: Thanks for the advice, I will have the starter replaced.

I'd be sure to follow Clipper's advice though - just make sure that they have run diagnostics first.

Good luck!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
zek

Post by zek »

I am having the exact same problem with my 2001 aurora . my question is would trouble codes for crank and cam position circuits be set if the problem is the starter?
telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

Tombstone wrote: Hi Sleeper,

I'd check two things:

1. Make sure you have an intact grounding system.

2. Your starter may be bad. I had a Suburban that did the exact same thing. Dealer said, "Your starter is fine." I knew my electrical components were working fine so I told them to change the starter - and never had a problem again with that car.

Unbelievably the dealer said: "It must have been going bad intermittently."

duh.

If you are in desparate straits and need to get somewhere and the car does not start, here is an emergency measure. Sometimes the geer teeth in the starter become chipped with time and the vehicle will not intermittently start so what can you do? If is kinda a short-term flintstones remedy, but you can hit your starter with a crow bar. I am not kidding and have seen it work before. By hitting it (it is cathartic too), you dislodge the teeth from the stuck position. Only in emergencies!!!:-5
swirg53

Post by swirg53 »

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I am desperate to find out why my 2001 Aurora (V8) has this same intermittent will not start problem. However, if I wait 5-10 minutes then it will start. Does this still sound like it would be the starter? I have had it into the dealership numerous times and since they can't get the problem to duplicate when it is there, they are unable to figure it out. Thank you.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

swirg53;709510 wrote: I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I am desperate to find out why my 2001 Aurora (V8) has this same intermittent will not start problem. However, if I wait 5-10 minutes then it will start. Does this still sound like it would be the starter? I have had it into the dealership numerous times and since they can't get the problem to duplicate when it is there, they are unable to figure it out. Thank you.

It seems like a mystery.

Sometimes when we try to unravel the mysteries of life we are left with disappointment and our failures rear themselves slapping us in the face as if to say "hey Mr. failure, why not just go sleep under a bridge with the rest of the losers".

All Im saying is it might be better not to know.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This method works great on older cars not so sure on newer ones. I have a hammer in my 1973 Camaro that I use to whack the starter now and then, you can see it. On newer cars just finding the starter will be a problem..:wah:

[QUOTE]If you are in desparate straits and need to get somewhere and the car does not start, here is an emergency measure. Sometimes the geer teeth in the starter become chipped with time and the vehicle will not intermittently start so what can you do? If is kinda a short-term flintstones remedy, but you can hit your starter with a crow bar. I am not kidding and have seen it work before. By hitting it (it is cathartic too), you dislodge the teeth from the stuck position. Only in emergencies!!![/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

snowyal

Post by snowyal »

I just recently purchased a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora thinking I was getting a great deal. The dealer was sure to specify a 30 "drive train only" warranty. The second day of ownership the car simply would not start and has started only intermittently since. I would like to know (You said you were getting a new starter) if the new started cured your problem. Thanks Al:yh_think:yh_think:yh_think
valerie

Post by valerie »

Hey Snowy welcome to FG, if you look at the upper left of the post,

you'll see a date, this one is over 2 years old, so I kinda doubt you'll

get an answer!!

Stick around, though, maybe someone else can help you!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

I realize this is an old thread, but if someone is still having this problemhere's what I get. Battery is up and connected properly... no starter sounds when key is turned ..... intermittent problem. If this is correct, my first place to look would be at the neutral starting switch and shift linkage. 2nd place would be the ignition switch, and I am not referring to where you put the key in, I'm talking about the electrical unit activated by the key which is attached to the steering column under the dash. If it is loose on the column, instead of making a connection inside the unit, the unit will move on the column. simply tighten the two small screws holding it in place once you position the unit in its proper position. Check for sloppy gear shift linkages as well as a loose or faulty neutral starting switch, again on the steering column or side of transmission. Hope this helps. I was a licensed mechanic for 25 years and have run across these simple and inexpensive cures many a thyme.

Dew

"Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well"
tcj103

Post by tcj103 »

My mom has a 97 Aurora, that has sat for quite a while in the garage, but we are now using it more. We have had a similar starting issue. The symptoms we see are:

1. When it doesn't start: put key in ignition, turn to ignition on, get no lights, gauges, radio, etc. The ONLY signs of life when you turn on the ignition is the dashboard lights, and the parking lights.

2. When it does start: Key in, turn to ignition position; radio, gauges are powered, warning lights come on like normal.

I noticed also today that when it isn't working, even the radio won't come on when you turn it to accessory position (turning it from off, back away from ignition). But when it is working, the radio does come on in accessory position.

SO, this seems like some kind of ignition relay, or could the security chip in the key be a factor? At least for 97, the Aurora had that little chip on the ignition key, about the size of 1/2 grain of rice. I have a Ford Explorer that had an intermittent problem with the chip, that prevented the truck from starting, however I think the radio still worked.

Thanks

Ted
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

tcj103, the description you give re-enforces my belief that the actual ignition switch on the lower portion of the steering column is not secured tightly, or, is defective. What happens when the key is turned, is a rod which relays the key position to the switch, and moves the contacts inside to the proper position. If the switch is loose, instead of the contacts being brought together, the entire unit moves on the column, rather than the pole position inside moving. This would account for no radio etc when its not functioning properly, because the contact points are between positions dew to the unit moving as a whole. You can locate this unit on the upper side of the lower steering column, by just following the relay rod down, its hald by 2 tiny self fasteners that are hard to get at, but this will likely be your best possible solution. Hope this helps.

Dew

"Anything worth dewing is worth dewing well"SIZE]
pointblank9

Post by pointblank9 »

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora and I started having the same problem in January. I thought it was my battery so I had it replaced. After a while it was fine but now it does not want to start. The car makes like a dead click sound and the radio and all the lights will come on but not the engine. Also if I leave my keys sitting in the ignition and attempt to restart my car it will not come on either. On top of that anytime I put gas in the car it goes through this violent jerking phase where it jerks as I speed up. I had my mechanic change the fuel filter, give me a tune-up, tighten the battery wires, had all my fluids changed and he said there was nothing wrong with my starter or alternator. I am so confused about this car. I don't know what to do. I want to keep it but it just seems as if it doesn't want to work.
spenceton

Post by spenceton »

sleeper;261925 wrote: Can anyone tell me why a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora will start sometimes but not all the time? I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. When I try and start the car you can see that the battery is not dead, because the lights turn on; but it doesn't make any noise...not even a clicking sound. And what really gets me is, that it happens randomly...not all the time.

I think you have to try inquiring somewhere else, maybe you need to replace your starter at [link removed] in Car-stuff. These guys are great and they provide excellent service.
RON0701

Post by RON0701 »

Before you head to repair shop check the battery negative grounding strap bolted into the floor off the car. it may be lose my issue was some days it started some days it would not I decided to display the voltage on messenger center in the car and drove around see if there was drop in voltage. and there was , once below 13 volts I knew once I shut it off it would not start. the battery checked out fine. so I knew it had to be starter , alternator , or maybe ignition. those checked out fine. when I went to put my battery back notice the negative ground was lose at the floor. tried to tighten but would not go in any more so went to hardware store bought 2 18 cent washers installed between the ground strap and floor to make the negative cable tight to the floor and behold the car starts up every time. if your having the same problem as I have had save yourself 100's of dollars and check if this may be an issue . good luck
valerie

Post by valerie »

Hey RONO, welcome to Forum Garden. Unfortunately, this thread is years old,

so your post didn't make it in time!

Stick around, there's lots more here!!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

RON0701

Post by RON0701 »

maybe you want to replace the cranking sensors , if everything else is fine. if the care just cranks will not start. could be the problem had replaced mine at around 85,000 mile if that the problem replace them both. hope this solves your problem. and be sure and check the negative grounding strap underneath the back seat. attached to the floor , they do become loose my experience
RON0701

Post by RON0701 »

I am sure will be 2001 Aurora owners with similar problems I have experienced thanks
valerie

Post by valerie »

RON0701;1461442 wrote: I am sure will be 2001 Aurora owners with similar problems I have experienced thanks

Hi, not sure if this was directed at me but anyway... last post before yours was almost 4 years ago. So, no Aurora owners

in that time caught onto this. I expect they might look in more car oriented forums?

Like this one: Home | Aurora Club of North America (ACNA) Forum
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Return to “General Chit Chat”